Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
13 crawler(s) on-line.
 118 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

zipper

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 zipper:  27 secs ago
 Birbo:  10 mins ago
 amigakit:  42 mins ago
 MarcioD:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 Hammer:  1 hr 13 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 14 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 20 mins ago
 NancyNash:  1 hr 35 mins ago
 agami:  2 hrs 4 mins ago
 Hypex:  2 hrs 21 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Grim Reaper in OS4.1 upd2 is broken!
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Deniil715 
Grim Reaper in OS4.1 upd2 is broken!
Posted on 9-Jul-2010 22:22:12
#1 ]
Elite Member

I had my suspicions but now I confirmed it:
The Grim Reaper in OS4.1 update 2 is broken and cannot kill any programs without creating an endless recoverable 0100000F error needing a hard reset.

I had this issue with SabreMSN when it occasionally crashed. Now Timberwolf crash and I tried to kill it and got the same thing. And now last time with a freshly booted system I tried the following:

Created this extremely simply program:

main() {
int *x=0, y;
y=x[0];
}

Compiled and executed it and got the Reaper as expected.
Clicked Kill and got endless recoverable 0100000F alerts.

Conclusion: The Grim Reaper is broken!

Profile     Report this post  
Thematic 
Re: Grim Reaper in OS4.1 upd2 is broken!
Posted on 10-Jul-2010 0:31:06
#2 ]

@Deniil715

Also after it is activated, reset by keyboard becomes impossible. This is inferior to at least OS 4.0 Final (Grim Reaper 53.2 if I'm not mistaken). The system will just freeze, so I then reboot from GR or shell.

: Pegasos (ff) 512 MB & MorphOS
Praise seitan.

Deniil715 
Posted on 12-Jul-2010 14:01:01
#3 ]
Elite Member

Could this be confirmed or rejected by some beta tester or else involved person?

kas1e 
Posted on 12-Jul-2010 14:15:11
#4 ]
Elite Member

@Deniil715

I have write about it on amigans.net in os4-bugs thread, which one of developes (Rigo) are reading. So after a while i think he can answer about.

Hypex 
Posted on 12-Jul-2010 14:32:34
#5 ]
Elite Member

@Deniil715

I'm sure I tried to kill somethings recently and they just crashed futher which didn't make sense. Usually a Kill is a safe operation!

I wonder, if it ain't broke why fix it so it is broke? A1 serial. USB printer. The list goes on. We could add more.

Deniil715 
Posted on 12-Jul-2010 15:17:12
#6 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

I think they wanted to add some much wanted features to the Grim Reaper, such as memory cleanup or perhaps other garbage collecting features, but something seems to have gone wrong.

I would love the Reaper to for example close the window of an app because and orphaned window makes the system extremely instable - click on it and it locks up. Most probably reason: The title string has been deallocated but the window (i.e. intuition) still tries to use it and crashes.

robo-ant 
Posted on 12-Jul-2010 15:30:23
#7 ]

@Deniil715

I had to kill AWeb last night, and it behaved as expected.

However, when I killed xvic.exe from VICE the other night, my Sam crashed, as mentioned in this thread:
VICE 2.2 xvic.exe and xpet.exe working?

Maybe xvic.exe stomped all over other programs that were running, though. It may noy have been GR's fault.

kas1e 
Posted on 12-Jul-2010 15:46:51
#8 ]
Elite Member

@Deniil715

There is answer from Rigo for you

danwood 
Posted on 12-Jul-2010 16:12:50
#9 ]

@Deniil715

I've seen the same behaviour replicated, so yes it seems it is broken.

kas1e 
Posted on 12-Jul-2010 16:14:37
#10 ]
Elite Member

@danwood
Read Rigos answer too.

umisef 
Posted on 12-Jul-2010 16:15:55
#11 ]

@kas1e

Quote:
There is answer from Rigo for you

That answer is just silly. How is that test program supposed to have corrupted the memory list? It does nothing but a *read* from address *zero*....

kas1e 
Posted on 12-Jul-2010 16:42:20
#12 ]
Elite Member

@umisef
I repost your message on amigans, but better if anyone in interest can post it himself later :)

Xenic 
Posted on 12-Jul-2010 17:17:06
#13 ]

@Deniil715
Quote:
Conclusion: The Grim Reaper is broken!

That may not be a completely accurate conclusion. I compiled your test program and ran it several times from a KingCon shell and an Amiga shell. In both cases I could not confirm the behavior you describe. I'm using a SAM Flex and compiled the test program with the latest SDK.

Is anyone else who confirmed the Grim Reaper problem using a SAM or SAM Flex? If it's only occurring on an A1, that might be crucial information for tracking down the problem. If SAM users can reproduce the problem, then there must be something different about my system (Settings, SDK used for compile, other Apps running etc.)

ChrisH 
Posted on 12-Jul-2010 17:26:26
#14 ]
Elite Member

@Xenic
I compiled & tested the program, and it was fine on my Sam440 running OS4.1.2 .

Tomas 
Posted on 12-Jul-2010 17:41:28
#15 ]
Elite Member

@Deniil715
I know at least kill has never ever worked on my system at least.

kas1e 
Posted on 12-Jul-2010 18:15:40
#16 ]
Elite Member

@umisef

Will do last re-poster job about that subject from Rigo on your message:

"Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't say that the test program actually had corrupted any memory list, but that the reccuring DSI's are "insanity" errors caused by a corrupted memory list.

Perhaps your "other user" should read what is written before sharing their knowledge and wisdom.

EDIT: Out of curiosity, I tried the test on my Sam running the public Update 2 installation, and I cannot reproduce the described behaviour there either. I can only conclude that the author has some program or patch running that is causing the problem somehow. I get the GrimReaper appear, and both "Continue" and "Kill" work exactly as expected. So no, there is no problem, here at least."

But looks like futher discuss about subject will make no sense, so, i am off here

umisef 
Posted on 13-Jul-2010 3:23:46
#17 ]

@kas1e

(@rigo@amigans)
Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't say that the test program actually had corrupted any memory list, but that the reccuring DSI's are "insanity" errors caused by a corrupted memory list.

No, rigo just wrote 'The endless stream of "insanity" errors in his test case is the cause of a corrupted memory list, not GrimReaper.' and 'The state of the system after any crash is not guaranteed' (emphasis added).

Now, if his intent was to communicate "It appears as if the memory list on his system was silently corrupted prior to running the test program which causes the crash, and the GR's recurring failures, caused by this pre-existing corrupted system state, would occur regardless and independent of what caused the GR to be invoked", then he did a pretty lousy job.

Quote:
I can only conclude that the author has some program or patch running that is causing the problem somehow.

Except you have MichaelMerkel post "on my normal system, bootet with no-startup, loadwb "manually xeceuted" and no wbstartup at all, grim reaper also crashes!"

Was the cause for the display-corruption-when-not-using-debug-kernel-on-SAM ever identified and fixed? Or did that just happen to go away when some module sizes changed? Because it sure sounds like something deep in the heart of OS4's startup is corrupting memory somewhere...

Anyway, this should really be seen as an opportunity. There is a reproducible and detectable corruption of system state on some systems. Something reproducible and detectable can be debugged. So why not create a small program (and/or possibly a kickstart module) which checks the memory lists for integrity. Stick it into various places during bootup, and narrow down at exactly what point the memory list gets corrupted, and what address exactly gets corrupted.

(From then on, things are a lot easier when running under emulation --- there you simply instrument the emulator to log every write to that particular address, then work out which one of those is the naughty one, then instrument the emulator to drop out of emulation and into system inspection mode on that particular write, look at the code that caused it, probably find that it itself got wrong data from somewhere else, and repeat the cycle until you find the root cause of the problem.
Without such ability to supervise execution, life gets more difficult --- you then have to instrument the actual code at fault to log its writes somehow, and hope that such code modification does not change behaviour enough to make the problem disappear [and come up with less disruptive logging methods if it does].)

thinkchip 
Posted on 13-Jul-2010 3:54:46
#18 ]

@umisef

The way I'm reading the test program, it puts a zero in memory location x without defining it first. So it puts zero in an unknown location, then tries to read it. That might not always cause an error. It depends on where x is.

umisef 
Posted on 13-Jul-2010 4:26:19
#19 ]

@thinkchip

Quote:
The way I'm reading the test program, it puts a zero in memory location x without defining it first.

You are reading it wrong, then :)

"int *x=0;" is equivalent (to the level of detail relevant to this point) to "int *x; x=0;", not to "int *x; *x=0;".

In other words, it declares a pointer and sets it to 0, rather than declares a pointer and writes 0 to whatever that unitialised pointer points to.

(And yes, I personally would write that as "int* x=0" for that very reason --- the type of x is int*, and thus assigning 0 to x means assigning NULL to a pointer; However, the preferred way of writing it in C is "int *x=0", i.e. saying "*x is of type int" and then breaking the connection between the '*' and 'x' when it comes to the assignment. This convention is further supported by the rules for interpreting "int *x,y" --- "*x is an int, as is y", and the confusion one can create by writing "int* x,y", which would suggest that x and y are of the same type, namely "int*" --- in C, however, they are not. Similar fun can be had with the binding of constness, volatility or other attributes.
Based on all this unfortunate historical baggage, the recommendation given in C programming courses these days is "One variable per declaration!". Real world usage may add a "except where the declaration is for unmodified, non-pointer data types without declaration-time initialisation". And with C++/C99's more relaxed rules about declaration placement [particularly for loop counters], even that exception gets little use in modern code)

Last edited by umisef on 13-Jul-2010 at 04:36 AM.

ChrisH 
Posted on 13-Jul-2010 9:22:20
#20 ]
Elite Member

@umisef
We were told the Sam non-debug-kernel corruption bug had been identified & fixed, although I can't say how accurate that was. At least I don't get that problem any more.

P.S. I honestly mean it when I say: Nice to see a constructive (and non-bitter) post, as I thought you'd forgotten how to do those. Hope you keep it up.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle