Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
25 crawler(s) on-line.
 128 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  7 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 17 mins ago
 vox:  1 hr 21 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 15 mins ago
 mbrantley:  2 hrs 16 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 39 mins ago
 FerruleMedia:  2 hrs 47 mins ago
 amigakit:  3 hrs 1 min ago
 DiscreetFX:  3 hrs 15 mins ago
 Dragster:  3 hrs 17 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Does anyone else using OS4 feel like A-inc has just stabbed them in the back?
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
PosterThread
Wizzard_o 
Does anyone else using OS4 feel like A-inc has just stabbed them in the back?
Posted on 1-Sep-2010 18:52:50
#1 ]
Cult Member
From: UK, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Solar System, Alpha Quadrant, The Milky-Way, Universe. 1.1.1.3.44.HP

Well if it is true about the other threads...

I invested in OS4, I invested in OS4.1 (twice)
I invested in a Micro A1, I invested in a Sam-Flex.

Now it seems I've wasted my time, money and faith in this platform.

I have an X1000 beta test contract in front of me. Should I bother signing it?

Profile     Report this post  
Antique 
Re: Does anyone else using OS4 feel like A-inc has just stabbed them in the back?
Posted on 1-Sep-2010 18:55:13
#2 ]
Cult Member

@Wizzard_o

Whatever ainc does,only hyperion can make amigaos. I really don't interest me what they do. If the drop dead,fine i say.

Whatever they do, i won't change anything for me and my love for amigaos.

terminills 
Re: Does anyone else using OS4 feel like A-inc has just stabbed them in the back?
Posted on 1-Sep-2010 18:56:06
#3 ]
AROS Core Developer

@Wizzard_o

why should it matter?

If you like AmigaOS 4 then use it... the X1000 is still an Amigaone.

So even if Commodore usa did get the rights to use Amiga for thier lines of computers why should that change how you view your chosen platform?

Tim

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

Tomas 
Posted on 1-Sep-2010 18:58:10
#4 ]
Elite Member

@Wizzard_o
Hyperion still owns the Amiga OS name and OS.
If you let this #### company change your mind then they have won...

I have a feeling that commodoreusa website is pretty much another iwin hoax anyways.

Argosy 
Posted on 1-Sep-2010 18:58:46
#5 ]

@terminills

Quote:
So even if Commodore usa did get the rights to use Amiga for thier lines of computers why should that change how you view your chosen platform

+1

There's still market for PPC Amigas

As to your stabbing at the back... Amiga Inc owns Amiga IP rights and they are free to do with them what they like. Nobody could see this coming a year ago, let even before that.

We'll go to that forbidden land.

RodTerl 
Posted on 1-Sep-2010 19:01:09
#6 ]
Cult Member

Im afraid what I said before, Ill have to say again. The only way to sort this screwup finally, is to win teh lotto, hostile takeover AInc, then sue them into oblivion to get your money back.

I AM being nice. If I wasnt, Id be working 16 hours a day on my crazy insane ideas, and arguments about computers would be the least of your problems.

What worries me is that Im only 5 years ahead of announced theoretical research in a lot of places, and we need 20 years to adapt. 8(

AInc is like the legal system, its not too bad the Law being a screwup, if the Judges know it is and comensate accordingly. Its when you get Judges that arent in it for the public good thats teh problem. 8(

AInc are just in it for the money..with Hyperion being successful, they had to find alternatives. They have.

samo79 
Posted on 1-Sep-2010 19:01:55
#7 ]
Elite Member

@Wizzard_o

Don't worry, continue to use your OS4, this is only a funny hoax

http://www.betatesting.it/backforthefuture

Sam440ep Flex 800 Mhz 1 GB Ram + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6
AmigaOne XE G3 800 Mhz - 640 MB Ram - Radeon 9200 SE + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6

Tomppeli 
Posted on 1-Sep-2010 19:20:14
#8 ]

@Wizzard_o

At first I was thinking it's a bad joke or bad night dream. It's starting to look like a hoax. But will it hurt Amiga platform even more. Another court case coming. How long it takes before that hoax will be taken down. These things confusing people even more. I'm thinking to give up !

Last edited by Tomppeli on 01-Sep-2010 at 07:20 PM.

jingof 
Posted on 1-Sep-2010 19:22:14
#9 ]

@Wizzard_o

Do not be discouraged my friend!

In this news item, we have a computer chop shop teaming up with a con artist. Not a technology company in sight.

Hyperion and A-eon are technology companies, employing skilled engineers that are doing the hard work of moving Amiga into the present day. They are a respectable engineering team with a record of delivery (Hyperion anyway) you can feed good about associating with.

To be discouraged by the efforts of the chop shop and the con artist, from contributing to X1000 would be like throwing out your Mercedes Benz, because some guy in a trailer was building a go-cart from used parts and sticking pretty, name-brand labels on it.

J

Argosy 
Posted on 1-Sep-2010 19:24:20
#10 ]

@jingof

Quote:
Hyperion and A-eon are technology companies

I can agree with that

Quote:
that are doing the hard work of moving Amiga into the present day.

That I cannot agree with... They are moving amiga somewhere between 2000 and 2005 and on the wrong platform at that.

We'll go to that forbidden land.

cha05e90 
Posted on 1-Sep-2010 19:25:24
#11 ]

@Wizzard_o

I really think it doesn't effect anything - I still have lot's of fun with my AmigaOS systems and will continue to do so. It will *only* have an effect when AmigaOS4.x (or whatever will come after that) will be ported to x86. Which isn't likely to happen...

Arko 
Posted on 1-Sep-2010 19:31:20
#12 ]

@Wizzard_o

Quote:

Wizzard_o wrote:
I invested in OS4, I invested in OS4.1 (twice)
I invested in a Micro A1, I invested in a Sam-Flex.

Now it seems I've wasted my time, money and faith in this platform.

Look, CommodoreUSA has just announced to do what Hyperion could have done two years ago. Hyperion could have supported cheap hardware, from used PPC Macs to new x86 boards, they could have switches to use AROS.

Now someone else offers what Hyperion didn't offer to his users.

You should ask yourself who stabbed who ?

Last edited by Arko on 01-Sep-2010 at 07:31 PM.

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

Amiga_3k 
Posted on 1-Sep-2010 19:50:48
#13 ]
Cult Member

@Wizzard_o

Just sign it and continue on the road you're already walking. The X1000 promises to be a wonderful and unique system where as the 'Commodore Amiga' systems are 'just' re-badged PCs (I know, I've stated that most probably eventually that would have been the situation right now IF Commodore never went bust and IF Amiga had become a main product for them and IF Apple wasn't such a hype as it is now....). Also, keep in mind that Hyperion has shown in the past that it delivers on its promises, as did ACube and, I believe, that's what A-Eon will do as well. Bear in mind that who ever owned the Amiga and or Commodore brand in the past, all went bust or nearly bust.

Tomas 
Posted on 1-Sep-2010 20:01:07
#14 ]
Elite Member

@Arko
It is just a standard pc running AROS. Nothing to do with amiga besides name which they most likely dont even have a license for. You cant blame hyperion for not porting it to x86 in the past since they did not have a license for that anyways. It is only after the court case ended that they could have started with such a port.

There are plenty of other x86 systems that runs AROS, so what is the point??
AROS is still nowhere near as mature as OS4.1 either...

Arko 
Posted on 1-Sep-2010 20:02:56
#15 ]

@Wizzard_o

Oh and by the way:

If your loyalty to Hyperion and their AOS4 depends on the exclusive right to have the Name "Amiga" in their product, you should rethink why you where buying it. Nothing will change with AOS4 or A-Eon if there is someone else who has the right to use the name Amiga.

Or where your reasons to be an AOS4 user influenced by a name that could just be bought sold or rented like a car ?

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

ssolie 
Posted on 1-Sep-2010 20:05:35
#16 ]
Elite Member

@Wizzard_o
Quote:
I have an X1000 beta test contract in front of me. Should I bother signing it?

I noticed you used the word "invested" a few times. Computers are not an investment. Computers are expenses. If you are not willing to lose everything you paid for any computer system then you should not be taking such risks in my opinion.

Was it a waste of time? Only if you didn't enjoy the ride. I'm enjoying the ride. And the ride is going to get even more fun with multi-core support.

Manu 
Posted on 1-Sep-2010 20:10:52
#17 ]

@Tomas

Quote:

AROS is still nowhere near as mature as OS4.1 either...

They keep saying that as some kind of comfort. But AROS are mature in some areas where OS4 isn't too. Personally I await the day when AW users stops the p*ssing contests.

eXec 
Posted on 1-Sep-2010 20:12:47
#18 ]
Cult Member

@samo79

Quote:

samo79 wrote:
@Wizzard_o

Don't worry, continue to use your OS4, this is only a funny hoax

Until the Workbench 5 comes out! ;) Then we have a quite new situation... :)

Troels 
Posted on 1-Sep-2010 20:15:12
#19 ]
Elite Member

@Wizzard_o
If it's true I see a lot of legal stuff coming up again unless "Commodore" gives up on the Amiga name/ Aros bundle.

I also got on the AmigaOS4 train early on and have invested in various AmigaOS4 licenses but I don't see that as vasted investment and don't understand why you should feel that way.

If I could afford it I would go for the X1000 right away, it will run AmigaOS unlike any Commodore USA products.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 1-Sep-2010 20:16:36
#20 ]
Elite Member

@Wizzard_o

Quote:
feel like A-inc has just stabbed them in the back?

Well they did that a long time ago I think it was back in 2004 whit the t-shirt scam, and I’m a member club or something, all the shell company scams.

Now I’m only AmigaOS4.1 user and supporter, and Hyperion has won the rights to the AmigaOS brand name; so now Amiga Inc has burned all bridges and it’s about time Amiga-Inc went away and died.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle