Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
19 crawler(s) on-line.
 105 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hypex:  9 mins ago
 Karlos:  12 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  17 mins ago
 Rob:  35 mins ago
 cdimauro:  1 hr 27 mins ago
 retrofaza:  1 hr 55 mins ago
 agami:  3 hrs 3 mins ago
 Hammer:  3 hrs 10 mins ago
 Seiya:  5 hrs 58 mins ago
 matthey:  6 hrs 19 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga News & Events
      /  Amiwest 2010 - News
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
PosterThread
agami 
Re: Amiwest 2010 - News
Posted on 27-Oct-2010 12:38:05
#281 ]

@DAX

Fair comment. I will take it on board.

Profile     Report this post  
DAX 
Posted on 27-Oct-2010 12:54:23
#282 ]
Elite Member

@agami
I admit I had mistaken you with some other kind of "forumer" that sometime pester Amigaworld.net, sorry for that.
I see you are very competent person not to mention old time Amiga lover.
As you might have noticed, when certain things get mentioned in the forums you often get replies on the lines that "with this little money that's the best they can do".
Of course you seem to believe differently, so I was wondering, given that money restrains are REAL (this must be taken into account), what could Aeon/Hyperion improve in your opinion? (honest question)

agami 
Posted on 27-Oct-2010 13:10:19
#283 ]

@DAX

Quote:
"with this little money that's the best they can do".
Of course you seem to believe differently, so I was wondering, given that money restrains are REAL (this must be taken into account), what could Aeon/Hyperion improve in your opinion?

That's a good one. I'll put something together and publish it as an Op-Ed in the usual place. It might take a few days as I juggle work commitments. Good thing is I've got a four day weekend coming thanks to the Melbourne Cup so I'll have some time.

DAX 
Posted on 27-Oct-2010 13:18:46
#284 ]
Elite Member

@agami
Great, I look forward to it

billt 
Posted on 27-Oct-2010 14:52:09
#285 ]
Elite Member

@Mechanic

Quote:
Hello Mr.Banker. We are here to get a business loan to increase production of our computer and we are happy to say we now have 500 programmers, plus or minus, out in the wild. These are good dependable fellows that may or may not want to be paid. So how about it Mr.Banker?

You obviously can't imagine that anything which is useful to "us" can have any use whatsoever to anyone else. We don't know what else A-Eon, Varisys and friends have in mind for it.

Mechanic 
Posted on 27-Oct-2010 16:17:04
#286 ]
Elite Member

@billt
Quote:

billt wrote:
@Mechanic

Quote:
Hello Mr.Banker. We are here to get a business loan to increase production of our computer and we are happy to say we now have 500 programmers, plus or minus, out in the wild. These are good dependable fellows that may or may not want to be paid. So how about it Mr.Banker?

You obviously can't imagine that anything which is useful to "us" can have any use whatsoever to anyone else. We don't know what else A-Eon, Varisys and friends have in mind for it.

HUH?

I must be a little thicker today than usual.

Please expand.

T-J 
Posted on 27-Oct-2010 16:42:40
#287 ]
Cult Member

@agami

Why not post up a news item here when you do a new op-ed? I've just skimmed over the most recent ones and they make for interesting reading. I can't say that I agree with everything you write, but it provides a base for informed debate rather than simple mudslinging.

@thread

Back onto the AmiWest topic, I'd like to see some footage of these speeches. Until I actually hear what Hyperion and A-Eon actually said at the show, I really can't judge whether good or bad news has dominated the show.

Trev 
Posted on 27-Oct-2010 19:12:16
#288 ]
Cult Member

@agami

Quote:

To many Amigans in the heyday Bill Gates was the epitome of the tech enemy.

Not me. I think Gates will be remembered as a compassionate genius, if not for his company's contributions to computing, then for his business acumen and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation's contributions to society.

Gates and Jobs ruled personal computing in the late 70's and early 80's, and they continue to rule it today. I don't think that's an accident.

A500/clockport/RRNet
A600/A603

Tomppeli 
Posted on 27-Oct-2010 19:54:02
#289 ]

@eniacfoa
You should calm down before making any posts.

Quote:
A1's, sam's, and now a $3162 USD desktop

A1000 maybe was cheap in USA in 1985 but it was very expensive here in Europe (well at least in Finland) and out of reach of the most of the consumers. Now Americans have to pay bigger prices for Amiga HW because of cheap dollar and strong Euro. So it's payback time. (And it looks you're from Melbourne anyway.)

@Trev

Quote:
Gates and Jobs ruled personal computing in the late 70's and early 80's, and they continue to rule it today.

You Americans might like to think so but they didn't definetly rule anything. Have you ever read the On The Edge book ? I suggest everybody to read it.

kamelito 
Posted on 27-Oct-2010 20:16:28
#290 ]
Cult Member

I may have missed something but to me there's not a single "valid" report of Amiwest event, just small bits here and there so its difficult to follow...
It seems that there's no more Amiga journalists out there, how can Amiga become a viable market (even if its a niche) if we don't know what's going on.

Of course those who had the chance to attend Amiwest knows but what about the majority who didn't?

I see AmigaWorld.net as a big player in the Amiga community so I was expecting more...

Regards
Kamel

News I'm aware of : (on top of my head)
Printing is a top priority
Hyperion very interested in updating RKM
Gallium3D
Rebol 3 alpha
etc but nothing elaborated, just words, no explanation, details ...

Last edited by kamelito on 27-Oct-2010 at 08:26 PM.
Last edited by kamelito on 27-Oct-2010 at 08:17 PM.

K-L 
Posted on 27-Oct-2010 20:31:19
#291 ]

@kamelito

Mabye a good show report will be available in Amiga Future.

retro 
Posted on 27-Oct-2010 21:09:49
#292 ]

@K-L

Hyperion very interested in updating RKM
and whot is rkm ???
anyone

terminills 
Posted on 27-Oct-2010 21:13:43
#293 ]
AROS Core Developer

@retro

rom kernel reference manuals.

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

number6 
Posted on 27-Oct-2010 22:14:11
#294 ]
Elite Member

@thread...and other threads

I had no illusions of reports arriving before the weekend, but it is possible.
Many people only arrived home in the past day, and they are off to real life jobs, oddly enough.

@Hyperionmp

I haven't time to figure out where you posted, so I'll reply here.
Any misunderstanding about what was said or why the folks here might not be aware of certain things mentioned will most likely stem from technical issues at the show.
We had virtually nothing but text posted in irc to use for news during the intitial presentation that you were involved in on Saturdy. We lost 1 streaming server later that night, changed servers multiple times, amidst other accidents occuring on the floor of the show itself. Audio was also a big issue at times, as reported here by others.
I don't believe either the presenters or the avid newshounds here should draw any conclusions until we get some show data processed.
It is my understanding that we have data from 3rd party, but it still needs to be processed. I'm still hopeful that we have lost nothing.

Mechanic 
Posted on 27-Oct-2010 22:39:55
#295 ]
Elite Member

@number6

Quote:

number6 wrote:

I don't believe either the presenters or the avid newshounds here should draw any conclusions......

Nuts! There goes all the fun.

amigang 
Posted on 27-Oct-2010 22:44:03
#296 ]
Elite Member

I'm surprised by the lack of reports and videos, hopefully more will appear in time for now I think amiga-news.de has got a good round up.
http://amiganews.de/de/news/AN-2010-10-00047-DE.html
translation-
"Event: First reports and pictures of the AmiWest 2010 (3rd update)
This weekend, held in Sacramento, California instead of AmiWest 2010, the most important annual event in the U.S. Amiga. This weekend, held in Sacramento, California, with the Amiga 2010 AmiWest most important annual event in the U.S. instead of the. In the following, to and for updated report, we summarize for you the first reports, photos and video. In the following, to and for updated message we take the first reports, pictures and videos along for.

In addition to the announced participants, such as Trevor Dickinson, Hans-Jörg and Thomas Frieden, Ben Hermans, Jens Schönfeld, and the father of the AmigaOS kernel Carl Sassenrath joined on Saturday by Dale Luck addition, a second of the Amiga fathers, so that both in could add their memories of the early days. In addition to the announced participants, examined as Trevor Dickinson, Hans-Jörg and Thomas Frieden, Ben Hermans, Jens Schoenfeld, and the father of the AmigaOS kernel Carl Sassenrath joined on Saturday by Dale Luck, a second of the Amiga fathers added yet, So that both in their memories of the beginnings could complement.

A first brief report by Trevor Scroggins is that it was obviously not insignificant, Carl Sass council also ladies present Cindy thanks to them that this place has created in his basement and therefore brought a number of souvenirs for sale with the AmiWest - including: A first brief report by Trevor Scroggins is that it was obviously not insignificant, Carl Sass council so ladies present Cindy thanks to them that this place has created in his basement, And Therefore a number of souvenirs for sale with the AmiWest brought - including:

* An Amiga 1000 Amiga 1000 prototype to prototype
* A prototype A prototype AA3000 AA3000
* A AmigaCD32 prototype board "Spellbound" with debug card AmigaCD32 a prototype board "Spellbound" with debug card
* An Amiga CDTV Amiga CDTV CR to CR
* Three original packaging, still sealed Amiga CDTV Three original packaging, still sealed Amiga CDTV
* An original packaging, still sealed Amiga CDTV Professional Kit A boxed, still sealed Amiga CDTV Professional Kit

In addition, Carl Sassenrath announced as expected, its scripting language Rebol 3 also for AmigaOS 4.1. In addition Sassenrath Carl announced its expected scripting language Rebol 3 for AmigaOS 4.1 on it.

Jens Schoenfeld also presented at this Sunday still continuing AmiWest a prototype of its announced for the Christmas accelerator boards for the Amiga models 600 and 1200 Jens Schoenfeld therefore presented at this Sunday still continuing AmiWest a prototype of his Christmas business announced for Turbo card for the Amiga models 600 and 1200 A first, but only with the phone recorded video of Steve 'CSixx' Ody, the map shows for the A600 at minute 21 when the developer has kept the mobile phone itself in order notes. A first, but only with the phone recorded video of Steve 'CSixx' Ody 600 displays the card for the Amiga at minute 21 when the developer has kept the phone itself for the purpose of explanation. Furthermore, seeing the peace brothers with the AmigaOne X1000 from minute 7, the Amiga Dealers Matthew Leaman of AmigaKit who exhibited include a Sam460 motherboard, at minute 9 and from minute 25 to the end Carl Sassenrath with his presentation. Furthermore, seeing the peace with the brothers AmigaOne X1000 from minute 7, the Amiga Dealers Matthew Leaman of AmigaKit who exhibited include a motherboard Sam460, at minute 9 and from minute 25 to the end Carl Sassenrath with his presentation. In addition, Steve Ody has also provided photos. In addition, Steve has so Ody photos provided.

On the website of AmigaKit there are not only more pictures of the event, but also short messages. On the website of AmigaKit there are not only more pictures of the event, but so short messages. In addition to the Sam460ex Steven Solie, on which this presents AmigaOS 4.1, came a Sam440ep used, which took advantage of Trevor Dickinson (A-EON Technology) with a projector for his presentation to AmigaOne X1000. In addition to the Sam460ex Steven Solie, on AmigaOS 4.1 Which Demonstrates this, came a Sam440ep Used, Which Trevor Dickinson (A-EON Technology with a projector for his presentation to AmigaOne X1000 used). Here, he confirmed that is being worked on by him in May mentioned port of Open Office For Kids on AmigaOS 4, and announced that the X1000 chassis are sold separately. Here, he confirmed that to him in May of the aforementioned Open Office For Kids on AmigaOS 4 will work on porting, and announced that the X1000 chassis are sold separately. Also received all beta testers of the computer and the game, an exclusive badge BOH. So, beta testers received all of the computer and the game, an exclusive badge BOH.

Ben Hermans also signed up for Hyperion as well as A-EON to speak, to explain the future of the Amiga OS 4.1 and its hardware and to answer questions. Ben Hermans then volunteered for Hyperion as well as A-EON to speak to the Amiga OS 4.1 and its hardware to explain and answer questions about the future. Software-related, he said that the printer support is a priority in developing the operating system. Software-related, he said that the printer support is a priority in developing the operating system also focuses the graphics subsystem in general and to support multiple processor cores presented dar. Referring to the recently announced A-EON computer and more generally the PowerPC processors He pointed out that the cores of the X1000 are fully partitioned so that it could run Linux on one and the same time AmigaOS 4 on the other. Other key points presented by the graphics subsystem in general and to support multiple processor cores dar. Referring to the recently announced A-EON computer and, in general, the PowerPC processors, he pointed out that the cores of the X1000 are completely partitioned, so that Linux on the one and the same time AmigaOS 4 on the other could run. For the future of computer AmigaOne Ben Herman referred to the P4 and P5 architecture from Freescale. For the future of computer AmigaOne Ben Herman Referred to the P4 and P5 architecture from Freescale. The PowerPC in her opinion still a viable platform for the future dar. Potential eight cores at 1.5 GHz gave a stunning performance. The PowerPC in her opinion still a viable platform for the future potential dar. eight cores at 1.5 GHz gave a stunning performance.

Update: (12:05, 24.10.10, SNX) Update: (12:05, 24.10.10, SNX)
It has become known, Ben Hermans has also announced a version of AmigaOS 4.1 for Amiga PowerUp, which according AmigaKit should still be available before year end. It has become known, Ben Hermans has thus a version of AmigaOS 4.1 for Amiga PowerUp announced that according AmigaKit still supposed to be available before year end.

2. 2. Update: (13:19, 24.10.10, SNX) Update: (13:19, 24.10.10, SNX)
Meanwhile, there is also a (very short) video available, taken during the speech Trevor Dickinson. Meanwhile, there is thus a (very short) video that is available during the speech, Trevor Dickinson was taken. Daniel also describes 'Dragster' Rangel smaller observations in Steven Solie development version of AmigaOS 4, about a possible reference to the integration of AmiUpdate and further amendments in the preferences and background settings. So portrays Daniel 'Dragster' Rangel smaller observations in Steven Solie development version of AmigaOS 4, about a possible reference to the integration of AmiUpdate and further amendments in the preferences and background settings.

3. 3. Update: (06:38, 25.10.10, SNX) Update: (06:38, 25.10.10, SNX)
The PowerUp version of AmigaOS 4.1 will support under Ben Hermans' speech next to the memory expansion ZorRAM and Radeon graphics cards and paging. The PowerUp Version of AmigaOS 4.1 is in Accordance with Ben Hermans' speech next to the memory expansion ZorRAM Radeon graphics cards and paging support.

, Jens Schönfeld of Individual Computers announced in his speech that the next generation of flickerfixer Indivision AGA both in the Amiga 1200 and Amiga can be used 4000T, have a DVI port for video output and with DDR-tipped instead of SDR RAM are is. Schönfeld of Individual Computers has Jens in his speech announced that the next generation of flicker indices in both the AGA Amiga Amiga port 1200 and can be used 4000T, DVI output for video and have one with DDR instead of SDR RAM tipped his is.

More information has Eldee 'Eliyahu' Stephens summarized: More information has Eldee 'Eliyahu' Stephens Summarized:

* The processor of AmigaOne X1000 is still not been officially announced. The processor of AmigaOne X1000 is still not been officially announced. On demand more out there was a disclaimer that one should this information for contractual reasons only at the time of delivery type on the computer more demand out there was a disclaimer that information is for contractual reasons only upon delivery of the computer should give this
* Varisys is currently still involved in the completion and testing of Revision 2 of Nemo boards. Varisys is currently still involved in the completion and testing of Revision 2 of Nemo boards. Beta testers should consider it before the year end in hands. Beta testers should consider it before the year end in hands. Generally available to the X1000 be next year, a more exact date that the concerns were not yet set Generally available to the X1000 be next year, set on a more precise date would be but not yet
* The USB2 stack for AmigaOS 4 has range of functions completely, his show "soon," announced publication is delayed, however, since one would still support a few devices that do not keep so much of the USB2 specification The USB2 stack for AmigaOS 4 What complete range of functions, for his "soon," announced a delay in publication, however, since one would still support a few devices that Do Not keep so much of the USB2 specification
* Of the above-mentioned urgent need for revision of the check printer support Hyperion currently several options, including CUPS Regarding the above-mentioned priority needs of a revision of the check printer support Hyperion currently several options, including CUPS
* Support of multi-core processors each kernel is the main concern, since the hardware plans also provide for the X1000 also those CPUs. The support of multi-core processors each kernel is the main concern, since the hardware provider for the plan so therefore those X1000 CPUs. Although would expect this still does not coincide with the release of the A-EON computer, but on the other hand, it has also not been completely ruled Although expect would this still does not coincide with the release of the A-EON computer, but on the other hand, it has therefore not been completely ruled out
* Of Xena's give it indeed plans for developer tools, but this is a useful extension of the operating system itself provides. Xena's give respect while there plans for developer tools, but this is a useful extension of the operating system itself provides. It is instead an extension for hobbyists It is instead to extension for hobbyists
* At the level of the 3D interface of AmigaOS 4 would you say goodbye to miniGL and instead of passing Gallium3D At the level of the 3D interface of AmigaOS 4 that the concerns were miniGL goodbye and instead Gallium3D of conduct"

Edited versions numbers accordingly /tomazkid

Last edited by tomazkid on 08-Mar-2011 at 09:01 PM.
Last edited by amigang on 27-Oct-2010 at 10:46 PM.

Trev 
Posted on 27-Oct-2010 23:00:15
#297 ]
Cult Member

@Tomppeli

Quote:

You Americans might like to think so but they didn't definetly rule anything. Have you ever read the On The Edge book ? I suggest everybody to read it.

I'm certain that post will come back to haunt me. The past aside, it's difficult to argue against the importance of Microsoft and Apple in today's business and media markets. For every Linux system in a large corporation, there are hundreds (sometimes thousands) of Microsoft systems. And for every Zune, there are hundreds of thousands of iPods.

I won't deny Microsoft's and now Apple's monopolistic intent--they're both big, scary machines of juggernaut destruction--but I hope I'm not alone in differentiating between the men and their enterprises.

EDIT: The difference with Trevor and A-Eon is obviously scale. There's really not much separating A-Eon, Hyperion, and their nameless investors from their customers. We all know where Trevor lives, so to speak.

Last edited by Trev on 27-Oct-2010 at 11:01 PM.

A500/clockport/RRNet
A600/A603

number6 
Posted on 28-Oct-2010 14:23:39
#298 ]
Elite Member

@thread

Post #1 altered to show only Amiwest 2010 news links to date, so we don't lose them.

If I've missed anything or if you find links elsewhere, please let me know so I can include them. Thanks.

Last edited by number6 on 28-Oct-2010 at 02:32 PM.

bison 
Posted on 28-Oct-2010 17:42:17
#299 ]
Elite Member

@eniacfoa

Quote:
Who the hell wants to pay that much for a still slow by todays standards desktop that can run AOS and linux? Its insanity.

I think you are overstating your case, if only slightly. A more accurate description might be, "A mental state indistinguishable from insanity to the casual observer." (I'm leaving my options open here, just in case I end up buying one.)

Quote:
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Albert Einstein! Or possibly Benjamin Franklin. Whoever it was, the point is well made.

ChrisH 
Posted on 28-Oct-2010 18:17:10
#300 ]
Elite Member

@WolfToTheMoon Quote:
It was clearly said by a-eon and hyperion boys they ...

Please quote them precisely, because I don't trust your biased "summarisation". In fact, I think you just proved that you can't be trusted.

I wish you'd stick to just discussing your beloved C=USA (who some suggest even pay your wages...).

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle