Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
15 crawler(s) on-line.
 131 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Rob

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Rob:  2 mins ago
 zipper:  22 mins ago
 Gunnar:  26 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 24 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 28 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 40 mins ago
 Comi:  2 hrs 10 mins ago
 vox:  2 hrs 56 mins ago
 BigD:  4 hrs 2 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Software
      /  Interview with Jonathan Potter (creator of Directory Opus) + Update (part 2 of interview)
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
opi 
Re: Interview with Jonathan Potter (creator of Directory Opus) + Update (part 2 of interview)
Posted on 17-Feb-2011 23:44:58
#61 ]
Team Member

@Cool_amigaN

Quote:
Please provide the contact details of your lawyer and they 'll get back to you.

OK, no problem, as I work for law firm it should be quite easy. They can pick up from the list, e-mail format is first letter of name, surname at domain name. Just tell them it's for me.

http://kpsokrates.pl/en/zespol

Oh, but that's just dodging the issue, right? Someone pointed out on Moo that's an old story, back from 2002.

Last edited by opi on 17-Feb-2011 at 11:45 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
Develin 
Re: Interview with Jonathan Potter (creator of Directory Opus) + Update (part 2 of interview)
Posted on 18-Feb-2011 7:53:06
#62 ]

@all

I've got a reply how to continue with the open source process now.
And they need a registered group (or organisation) and the one I suggested to Greg is power2people, which has successfully released sources like Poseidon :
http://www.power2people.org/projects/overview/

This is the anwer from Greg Perry :

Quote:
Hi Stefan,
Yes P2P would be fine I think. We'd just have to licence the trademarks and copyrights to some registered organization.

__ Regards, Dr Greg Perry

This is an important software for many of us and I think we can work together in a bounty, can't we ? =)

System-log 
Posted on 18-Feb-2011 7:57:54
#63 ]

Quote:

Develin wrote:
@all

I've got a reply how to continue with the open source process now.
And they need a registered group (or organisation) and the one I suggested to Greg is power2people, which has successfully released sources like Poseidon :
http://www.power2people.org/projects/overview/

This is the anwer from Greg Perry :

Quote:
Hi Stefan,
Yes P2P would be fine I think. We'd just have to licence the trademarks and copyrights to some registered organization.

__ Regards, Dr Greg Perry

This is an important software for many of us and I think we can work together in a bounty, can't we ? =)

@Develin

And all I intended was to make a small "What does Jonathan Potter do today" interview for my small blog :)

Maby I'll have to invest in some kind of an Amiga again if this project succeeds!

Great work Develin!! :)

Develin 
Posted on 18-Feb-2011 8:08:25
#64 ]

@System-log

I'm really sorry to hijacking your thread btw. =)

nexus 
Posted on 18-Feb-2011 8:54:50
#65 ]

@Develin

Besides a bounty/money, we need also some talented and willing programmers who have the time and endurance to port it. I guess, if it should run on AROS,MorphOS and AOS4, we need even 3 different groups?

nexus

Cool_amigaN 
Posted on 18-Feb-2011 8:58:42
#66 ]

@opi

LOL, I hope you saw the emoticon on my original post. I am not affiliated with Hyperion in any way. Plus I am not dodging any answer, at least from my side. The silence speaks louder after all. From my pov, it is rather obvious what Hyperion did 9-10 years ago regarding this matter. I was familiar with the thread back in 02 at A.org, so that old news really. And as user pov, I could say that the outcome, is to be left even without ... a back button on wb :P

Anyway, thankfully I am using DOpus on Amikit, my "real" classic and my pc since the day they initially ported it. If we could get a modern DOpus (9.x and above) on any Amiga-ish system would be awesome. But even Magellan II would suit my (ours?) needs.

Develin 
Posted on 18-Feb-2011 9:06:34
#67 ]

@nexus

I think the first step is what jPV suggest here: #54

Fix the obvious "flaws" first to make the 68k build work on the desired systems, then expand with native builds. As I hinted before there is a a talent programmer around which I know can pull such thing off pretty quickly ;)
The question is if he is willingly and free to help out ?

Last edited by Develin on 18-Feb-2011 at 09:08 AM.
Last edited by Develin on 18-Feb-2011 at 09:07 AM.

Troels 
Posted on 18-Feb-2011 9:22:03
#68 ]
Elite Member

I'm pretty satisfied with "Filer" on AmigaOS4 but there where some years before that were I really missed Magellan (even if I never used it's true potential).

I have often wondered what happened with the port by Gurumeditation, but since it's possible to obtain a license I suspect deals cancelled?
Good luck to anyone trying to do a port, (I think they will need it but) I hope they succeed.

Last edited by Troels on 18-Feb-2011 at 09:24 AM.

jPV 
Posted on 18-Feb-2011 10:20:37
#69 ]
Cult Member

@Troels

Quote:

Troels wrote:

I have often wondered what happened with the port by Gurumeditation, but since it's possible to obtain a license I suspect deals cancelled?

It is explained in the part 2 of the interview.

Troels 
Posted on 18-Feb-2011 11:08:02
#70 ]
Elite Member

@jPV
Thanks, missed that part as I was in a hurry

Hypex 
Posted on 18-Feb-2011 13:05:30
#71 ]
Elite Member

@System-log

Quote:
I managed to get an interview with Jonathan Potter

Wow! That name brings back memories. Tha looks exactly like the first version of DOpus that hooked me in when I discovered it with ProTracker on the floppy that came with my first sampler.

Quote:
I used Dopus until it left the two-pane classic look, and could never find its equal on PC :

What about DOpus for Windows? Oh yeah they based it on that annoying DOpus 5/Magelian and forgot to include Windows Replacement Mode. (TM).

nikosidis 
Posted on 18-Feb-2011 19:13:11
#72 ]
Cult Member

I'm no big fan of DOpus 5.

I rather put money in (Mui) Zuneification of DOpus 4.

Some kind of facelift would be nice. DOpus 4 look rather old.

mpiva 
Posted on 18-Feb-2011 19:29:22
#73 ]

Quote:

Cool_amigaN wrote:
If we could get a modern DOpus (9.x and above) on any Amiga-ish system would be awesome. But even Magellan II would suit my (ours?) needs.

Actually, I PREFER Magellan II over the Windows version of DOpus. In Workbench replacement mode, Magellan is much more intergrated and gives you almost limitless control over your work environment. I find the Windows DOpus much more intrusive. I still use it, as it's still one of best options available but I would rather it worked more like the Amiga version.

Raffaele 
Re: Interview with Jonathan Potter (creator of Directory Opus)
Posted on 27-Feb-2011 4:06:37
#74 ]

@Drako

Quote:

Drako wrote:
@System-log

Good inrerview .

This part roxx :

We made a number of attempts to work with developers continuing with Amiga development to further develop Directory Opus for the Amiga line. Initially we signed a contract with Hyperion for licensing and development but they proved to be, well to be blunt, dishonest and untrustworthy, not what one expected in the Amiga world:). Even after repeated requests and discussions over six months after they signed the contract they refused to honour the deal and make payments for the licence as agreed.

Indeed it is a revelation!

And it could make even suppose the worst scenario... OMG...

It is the worst thought I had...

...But if Hyperion did that untrustworthy thingie with Jonathan Potter, then fell "what about" the hypotesis that Bill Mc.Ewen was right when he sued Hyperion???

This makes me sensing the creepies...

Last edited by Raffaele on 27-Feb-2011 at 04:14 AM.
Last edited by Raffaele on 27-Feb-2011 at 04:10 AM.

Raffaele 
Posted on 27-Feb-2011 4:25:08
#75 ]

@System-log

Quote:

System-log wrote:

@Develin

And all I intended was to make a small "What does Jonathan Potter do today" interview for my small blog :)

Maby I'll have to invest in some kind of an Amiga again if this project succeeds!

Great work Develin!! :)

Nope... Jonathan Potter sold his last Amiga in 2001.

I quietly suppose that he left the Amiga scene forever...

He is most interested in selling DirOPus Magellan sourcecode for a good profit.

Hope that some Amiga software group with enough cash will buy the codes, and realize a new stable version for the benefit of us all.

Or better hope that DirOpus4 (that now it is free) developers, could extend this version of the software, let it grow and acquire new features, so that it could surpass actual DirOpus Magellan features...

Last edited by Raffaele on 27-Feb-2011 at 04:30 AM.

eXec 
Posted on 27-Feb-2011 10:40:09
#76 ]
Cult Member

@Zylesea

Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
Quote:

from the interview :
We made a number of attempts to work with developers continuing with Amiga development to further develop Directory Opus for the Amiga line. Initially we signed a contract with Hyperion for licensing and development but they proved to be, well to be blunt, dishonest and untrustworthy, not what one expected in the Amiga world:). Even after repeated requests and discussions over six months after they signed the contract they refused to honour the deal and make payments for the licence as agreed.

Ouch!

So actually , they have stolen intellectual property ? Or?
Please a bit more details...

What will happen then with the X1000 preorder money?
The same as with DOpus? Geeezzz

Last edited by eXec on 27-Feb-2011 at 10:59 AM.

Deniil715 
Posted on 27-Feb-2011 13:01:34
#77 ]
Elite Member

@nexus

Quote:

Besides a bounty/money, we need also some talented and willing programmers who have the time and endurance to port it. I guess, if it should run on AROS,MorphOS and AOS4, we need even 3 different groups?

Well, since I suddenly found myself with a little more time due to that horrible OWB project (ironic, I know), I could perhaps look at the OS4 part of the porting. GuruMeditaion should have done some part of the job already if I'm not mistaken? Or do we have to start from scratch?

Anyway, I'm not interested in the WBR mode, but I always used DOpus on it's own screen so I can enforce that to work properly.

_Steve_ 
Posted on 27-Feb-2011 14:37:21
#78 ]
Team Member

@eXec

Hyperion have not stolen anything, the X1000 is an A-EON project (not Hyperion) so do not mix those together. The article refers to something that happened back in 2001/2002, so isn't even current by anybodies standards - and the IP reverts back to Jonathan Potter in the even that nothing is done in respect of any contract that may have been drawn up (as was the case when Guru Meditation took over bringing it to OS4).

Also note that no money was handed over for anything to do with DOpus (if anything, Hyperion would have paid JP for the licence to port it anyway - so they would have lost out if nothing was done, not them taking money from anyone else).

It would pay to actually read around first before making claims/statements that are incorrect at best, or libellous at worst.

eXec 
Posted on 27-Feb-2011 14:51:55
#79 ]
Cult Member

@_Steve_

Quote:

_Steve_ wrote:
@eXec

Hyperion have not stolen anything, the X1000 is an A-EON project (not Hyperion) so do not mix those together. The article refers to something that happened back in 2001/2002, so isn't even current by anybodies standards - and the IP reverts back to Jonathan Potter in the even that nothing is done in respect of any contract that may have been drawn up (as was the case when Guru Meditation took over bringing it to OS4).

Also note that no money was handed over for anything to do with DOpus (if anything, Hyperion would have paid JP for the licence to port it anyway - so they would have lost out if nothing was done, not them taking money from anyone else).

It would pay to actually read around first before making claims/statements that are incorrect at best, or libellous at worst.

I just asked...if you read my post again... I asked for a bit more details about Dopus....
There are question marks on the end of the sentence...

Beside that I asked about the X1000 money..... So AEon is not involved by Hyperion in any way? No license form Hyperion that approves OS4 compatible hardware? AEon
pays nothing to Hyperion ??? So anyone can produce OS4 compatible hardware?
Those are questions. Questions seek answers.. Please answer if you know then...
Manny thanks...

number6 
Posted on 27-Feb-2011 14:56:07
#80 ]
Elite Member

@eXec

Quote:
So anyone can produce OS4 compatible hardware?

Yes, and always could.

But getting Hyperion to port is another issue, which requires direct contact to Hyperion with a business plan.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle