Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
26 crawler(s) on-line.
 97 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Rob

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Rob:  2 mins ago
 amigakit:  8 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  22 mins ago
 Dragster:  24 mins ago
 Karlos:  31 mins ago
 bhabbott:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 amig_os:  1 hr 27 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 40 mins ago
 mbrantley:  1 hr 43 mins ago
 michalsc:  1 hr 53 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Hyperion Blog update....
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )
PosterThread
Tomppeli 
Re:
Posted on 16-Feb-2014 21:24:16
#781 ]

@pavlor

Quote:
AmiCygnix is too non-Amiga to be even considered as solution by MorphOS developers.

Maybe you should be more authentic and switch to AmigaOS then.

Profile     Report this post  
broadblues 
Re: An abundance of AmigaOS
Posted on 16-Feb-2014 21:31:08
#782 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@asymetrix

Quote:

For example the post is missing details what are the advantages/disadvantage to using the NEW DOS Apis compared to using the FUSE apis, speed comparison ? upgradeability, cpu usage, multitasking saturation, bandwidth limitation - possible bottlenecks, hurdles overcome.

The filesysbox.library implements the FUSE api using the new AmigaOS vector port API as far as I understand it. You would use filesysbox to port a filesystem implemented with FUSE, but if you were writing a new filesystem / handler for AmigaOS you would use the AmigaOS API directly.

I'm not sure if documentation on that API is public yet or pending the next SDK update.

broadblues 
Posted on 16-Feb-2014 21:38:23
#783 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@jorit2

I'm sure some one of your intelligence and experience must realise that filesysbox is an implementation of an API and thus no more linux than bsdsocket.library?

So I guess your trolling, I'd expect more from someone of your alleged credibility...

jorit2 
Posted on 16-Feb-2014 21:42:14
#784 ]

@broadblues

Quote:

broadblues wrote:
@jorit2

I'm sure some one of your intelligence and experience must realise that filesysbox is an implementation of an API and thus no more linux than bsdsocket.library?

So I guess your trolling, I'd expect more from someone of your alleged credibility...

Trolling, not really, I'm not that evil/mean-spirited, ruffling a feather (or two) at most ...

<edit>
And after having looked up the exact meaning of "ruffling feathers" even that sounds too harsh. But can't find the proper word. Somewhere between teasing, and irking I guess.
</edit>

Evert

Last edited by jorit2 on 16-Feb-2014 at 10:10 PM.
Last edited by jorit2 on 16-Feb-2014 at 09:47 PM.

salass00 
Posted on 16-Feb-2014 21:57:41
#785 ]
Elite Member

@broadblues

Quote:

I'm not sure if documentation on that API is public yet or pending the next SDK update.

If it isn't it can be generated from the source code using the autodoc command.

Phantom 
Re:
Posted on 16-Feb-2014 23:00:07
#786 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

Tomppeli wrote:
Maybe you should be more authentic and switch to AmigaOS then.

Don't use the word authentic, he can easily switch to 68k AmigaOS instead.

OlafS25 
Re:
Posted on 16-Feb-2014 23:11:28
#787 ]
Elite Member

@Phantom

You are perfectly right, nothing beats the original

jorit2 
Posted on 17-Feb-2014 0:52:26
#788 ]

@broadblues

Quote:

broadblues wrote:
@jorit2

I hope I dealt with the trolling part.

About the matter at heart, I tend to disagree though, and I did a little more research prior to answering this one, just to be sure.

"no more Linux than bsdsocket.library".
Not sure you picked an adequate example. The Linux-crowd don't claim to be the fathers of this API/implementation. But I'm guessing that's not your point.

About FUSE: The idea of a filesystem in userspace does appear to originate in the GNU/Hurd project. FUSE however, the original implementation and the API has its roots in Linux.

filesysbox is a reimplementation, sure, but I don't think this fact alone cuts its Linux-rooted lineage (if this phrasing makes sense). If not for FUSE, there would not have been filesysbox in the first place, there would have been nothing to reimplement.

So I would be inclined to say that filesysbox is much more Linux than bsdsocket.library

Second, Hyperion adverts it as FUSE, clearly and unequivocally referring to the Linux roots.

And then there's the second component: ntfs-3g. One cannot deny the Linux lineage of that one

Evert

PS: Thx/Kudos to the ones who helped me with the info & phrasing of this post, you know who you are

Last edited by jorit2 on 17-Feb-2014 at 01:15 AM.
Last edited by jorit2 on 17-Feb-2014 at 01:13 AM.

broadblues 
Posted on 17-Feb-2014 2:22:05
#789 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@jorit2

Quote:

"no more Linux than bsdsocket.library".
Not sure you picked an adequate example. The Linux-crowd don't claim to be the fathers of this API/implementation. But I'm guessing that's not your point.

Yes, I was completely aware of the irony of my choice of example api, but nit picking aside, it demonstrates the principle of a *nix API reimplemented and completely accepted as part of AmigaOS ( and friends).

Quote:

If not for FUSE, there would not have been filesysbox in the first place, there would have been nothing to reimplement.

That's true of almost any standard / API that didn't originate in Amiga land.

Quote:

Second, Hyperion adverts it as FUSE, clearly and unequivocally referring to the Linux roots.

If you implement an API why hide it's name. FUSE is available or a lot more than just linux these days. They didn't all change the name of the API either.

Quote:

And then there's the second component: ntfs-3g. One cannot deny the Linux lineage of that one

Hmm, a FUSE implementation of a Windows#? file system. From it's authors TUXERA Quote:
NTFS-3G is a stable, full-featured, read-write NTFS driver for Linux, Android, Mac OS X, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenSolaris, QNX, Haiku, and other operating systems.

You might have been better off with the ext2 file system as an example here

jorit2 
Posted on 17-Feb-2014 2:30:31
#790 ]

@broadblues

Quote:

broadblues wrote:
@jorit2

Quote:

Hmm, a FUSE implementation of a Windows#? file system. From it's authors TUXERA Quote:
NTFS-3G is a stable, full-featured, read-write NTFS driver for Linux, Android, Mac OS X, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenSolaris, QNX, Haiku, and other operating systems.

You might have been better off with the ext2 file system as an example here

All possible allegations of nitpicking aside:

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS-3G#History

"NTFS-3G forked from the Linux-NTFS project on October 31, 2006." <--- that's an offer

And: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.file-systems.ntfs.devel/2674/

(thx to "you-know-who-you-are")

Evert

Last edited by jorit2 on 17-Feb-2014 at 02:47 AM.
Last edited by jorit2 on 17-Feb-2014 at 02:42 AM.
Last edited by jorit2 on 17-Feb-2014 at 02:42 AM.

netrot 
Posted on 17-Feb-2014 4:24:10
#791 ]

@jorit2

when i follow your argumentation, we still cannot browse the Web.....Mosaic cames from unix

Last edited by netrot on 17-Feb-2014 at 04:40 AM.

jorit2 
Posted on 17-Feb-2014 7:34:33
#792 ]

@netrot

Quote:

netrot wrote:
@jorit2

when i follow your argumentation, we still cannot browse the Web.....Mosaic cames from unix

Hehe ...

The point never was that I had any objection (as if my opinion would really matter) against the (re) use of FUSE/NTFS-3G, .
The point was ... I took a little issue with the whining about the abundance of Linux related posts on certain fora, followed by a happy reuse of software coming from there (well, see the debate with broadblues about that one), and cheerin' about it. FUSE/ntfs-3g now, Cairo years ago, those being the ones that come to mind.

And it would not even have been that bad, if not for the way this release was handled, the IMHO somewhat childishly but carefully chosen wording, making sure NOT to mention that the filesysbox reimplementation was actually a Morphos endeavour, and then the debacle about the availability of the source-code, ... not to mention some other posts in this very thread.

It's not a first, they'll probably never change, looks like it's in their DNA, but that doesn't mean we have to like it, or approve of it, or be silent about it.

Evert

Last edited by jorit2 on 17-Feb-2014 at 07:41 AM.
Last edited by jorit2 on 17-Feb-2014 at 07:41 AM.
Last edited by jorit2 on 17-Feb-2014 at 07:40 AM.

salass00 
Posted on 17-Feb-2014 8:29:44
#793 ]
Elite Member

@jorit2

Quote:

And it would not even have been that bad, if not for the way this release was handled, the IMHO somewhat childishly but carefully chosen wording, making sure NOT to mention that the filesysbox reimplementation was actually a Morphos endeavour, and then the debacle about the availability of the source-code, ... not to mention some other posts in this very thread.

Leif Salomonsson is mentioned as he is the original and sole author of the version 0.730 filesysbox.library which my version is based on.

I don't see why MorphOS team would need to be mentioned since they had nothing to do with this version of filesysbox.library, and any later versions where they may have been involved are strictly closed source.

Last edited by salass00 on 17-Feb-2014 at 08:30 AM.

jorit2 
Posted on 17-Feb-2014 8:35:01
#794 ]

@salass00

Quote:

salass00 wrote:
@jorit2

Quote:

Leif Salomonsson is mentioned as he is the original and sole author of tthe version 0.730 filesysbox.library which my version is based on.

I don't see why MorphOS team would need to be mentioned since they had nothing to do with this version of filesysbox.library, and any later versions where they may have been involved are strictly closed source.

I stand corrected, thx !

Evert

Last edited by jorit2 on 17-Feb-2014 at 08:42 AM.

Returner 
Posted on 17-Feb-2014 12:44:46
#795 ]

@all

Quote:

by salass00 on 17-Feb-2014 9:29:44

Leif Salomonsson is mentioned as he is the original and sole author of the version 0.730 filesysbox.library which my version is based on.

Just for the record, this is absolutely correct in all parts :)

/Leif

Signal 
Posted on 17-Feb-2014 14:55:07
#796 ]
Cult Member

@Returner

Quote:

Returner wrote:
Just for the record, this is absolutely correct in all parts :)

/Leif

salass00 
Posted on 17-Feb-2014 16:41:49
#797 ]
Elite Member

@Returner

Thanks for releasing filesysbox.library 0.730 source code under APL .

number6 
Posted on 15-May-2014 19:13:28
#798 ]
Elite Member

@thread

Official AmigaOS Documentation Wiki

cymru 
Posted on 15-May-2014 19:38:48
#799 ]

@number6

Wow, a lot of real information! I have GOT to use the Create a Book function to have this available offline.

Thanks so much to the team.

pavlor 
Posted on 15-May-2014 19:39:17
#800 ]
Elite Member

@number6

Great page with many useful informations - not only about current version of AmigaOS. Editors did really good work.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle