Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 61 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Tpod

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Tpod:  1 min ago
 michalsc:  19 mins ago
 number6:  44 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  54 mins ago
 Djk83:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 45 mins ago
 A1200:  2 hrs 56 mins ago
 vox:  3 hrs 10 mins ago
 Hypex:  3 hrs 25 mins ago
 AndreasM:  3 hrs 34 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  AmigaOne articles on Wikipedia vandalised
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
number6 
Re: AmigaOne articles on Wikipedia vandalised
Posted on 26-Nov-2017 19:07:37
#61 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

Quote:
and faulty AC97 soundchip

Are you sure about that?

Miracles happen: A1 onboard audio works!

The key line here is:
Quote:
Normally, the BIOS/firmware sets up some registers of the VIA that make it work (ACPI), unfortunately back then we thought it was a hardware issue.

For reference of where this investigation began:
George Breese of VIA

Later they even ordered more:

AmigaOne: Centralized order for Onboard-Soundchip

Last edited by number6 on 26-Nov-2017 at 07:21 PM.
Last edited by number6 on 26-Nov-2017 at 07:13 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
pavlor 
Posted on 26-Nov-2017 19:20:48
#62 ]
Elite Member

@number6

Sure? Sometimes my reading comprehension is limited. This is classic example, where really good source (puting together known facts and balancing their weight) would help. I will rewrite the sound part in more vague way.

number6 
Posted on 26-Nov-2017 19:23:29
#63 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

Added link above to letter from George Breese of VIA.
You can confirm with DaveAE and/or Hans and/or Ian Stedman.

Additional note:George Breese is also listed as source on the VIA wiki.

Ian talking about this (the unnamed source from DaveAE's news article

Note the other comments from devs please.

Last edited by number6 on 26-Nov-2017 at 07:49 PM.
Last edited by number6 on 26-Nov-2017 at 07:29 PM.

Amigo1 
Posted on 27-Nov-2017 9:49:51
#64 ]

@cgutjahr

Quote:

cgutjahr wrote:

- didn't deliever promised features (multicore support, modern 3D system... OS 4.2...)

Well, since OS 4.2 is not released yet, I am confident we AmigaOne X1000 owners will get a free copy.

I still have the coupon...

Hopefully it will not end the same way as with the T-Shirt-coupon distributed by Amiga (Inc.|International).
IIRC some folks got the T-Shirt at the end, since I was not one of the lucky ones maybe this time I will get a copy of AmigaOS 4.2...

Btw, aren't X5000 owners supposed to receive a copy of AmigaOS 4.2 too? I don't remember, maybe I'm mixing something up here..

Anonymous 
Posted on 27-Nov-2017 10:10:00
# ]

@Amigo1

You don't really believe that, do you?

I'd rather think it will be some rip-off move like AmigaKit pulls...give OS4.2 with limited features or missing content to those that are inclined to a "free" update and let the suckers pay once again for the full package.

Report this post  
amigakit 
Posted on 27-Nov-2017 18:07:22
#66 ]
Amiga Kit

@Raziel

I dont think that 4 free releases of Enhancer Software v1.x this year constitutes a "rip-off" move

Tomppeli 
Posted on 27-Nov-2017 18:22:42
#67 ]

I think Aeon should refund that AmigaOS4.2 to X1000 owners. I don't expect to see it in next 10 years.

@Amigo1
X5000 owners got 4.1FE. I don't think 4.2 was promised for them.

Hypex 
Posted on 28-Nov-2017 13:14:03
#68 ]
Elite Member

@Amigo1

Quote:
Well, since OS 4.2 is not released yet, I am confident we AmigaOne X1000 owners will get a free copy.

Well the first step in between was buying FE to be qualified. Next I can see is RadeonHD driver since this is really needed even for older non-HD cards. Then perhaps the Enhancer package will be needed. Though the last one is not officially part of the OS, it does fix up the broken parts in FE and what is broke on the X1000. So after we buy all that hopefully OS4.2 will be coming our way. Though no in between qualifying purchases were part of the original agreement so perhaps this will change.

Amigo1 
Posted on 29-Nov-2017 2:02:33
#69 ]

@Raziel

Quote:

Raziel wrote:
@Amigo1

You don't really believe that, do you?

I suppose it won't make a difference if I believe it or not. All I can say, is that in my experience, even if AmigaKit and A-Eon are -at times- slow at replying to inquiries and support, they delivered.
There are some issues I particularly wish they would address with the AmigaOne x1000 and AmigaOne X5000 UBoot, but that's another story.
About AmigaOS 4.2; for me it's hard to speculate how much they can do to accelerate its development.
Do you think they foresaw the development would take so long 7 years ago? Would be a mean thing if they knew and promised anyway. Having met them on some occasion, they really don't seem that mean to me.

Quote:

I'd rather think it will be some rip-off move like AmigaKit pulls...give OS4.2 with limited features or missing content to those that are inclined to a "free" update and let the suckers pay once again for the full package.

Maybe, and it's likely they will stop altogether the Amiga business once the last paying customer goes away and they have to skip their meal every second day. I would not like for that to happen. Maybe I'm naive, but I think their commitment to Amiga is forcing them to some, at least financial sacrifices. If I was a hugely successful entrepreneur, in the billion dollar range, I would more likely able and dare to tell them how to do their business.
I seriously think there are other more serious areas of everyday-use items where the customer gets ripped-off in a blameworthy way. Even though I would not like the sales model, and hope amigakit is not implementing it, I'd compare this "limited features/full package"suckers pay" to the MS windows home/pro editions.

On a side note, I have the impression that this silence from Hyperion drives people away from Amiga CG (current generation) to the Classic. Potential buyers rather invest in accelerator cards for the 68k Generation hardware even though the newer machines clearly bring more advantages.
That's sad.

Amigo1 
Posted on 29-Nov-2017 2:05:56
#70 ]

@Tomppeli

Quote:

Tomppeli wrote:
I think Aeon should refund that AmigaOS4.2 to X1000 owners. I don't expect to see it in next 10 years.

@Amigo1
X5000 owners got 4.1FE. I don't think 4.2 was promised for them.
I have not had the time, but I'll look in the papers I got with my x5000. You might very well be right.

Amigo1 
Posted on 29-Nov-2017 2:36:57
#71 ]

@Hypex

Quote:

Hypex wrote:
@Amigo1

Quote:

Well the first step in between was buying FE to be qualified. Next I can see is RadeonHD driver since this is really needed even for older non-HD cards. Then perhaps the Enhancer package will be needed. Though the last one is not officially part of the OS, it does fix up the broken parts in FE and what is broke on the X1000. So after we buy all that hopefully OS4.2 will be coming our way. Though no in between qualifying purchases were part of the original agreement so perhaps this will change.

I see. I don't really know what arguments to bring here, other that they apparently have been inventive on how to get food on the table.
I don't want to overplay this they-are-hungry-too card too much, but what can we do about this? Either we wait until AmigaOS 4.2 is released and are happy if we x1000 owners get it for free or we we turn away from the current generation market and let it die out. It's a decision everyone has to take for their own.
Many people community have voiced their concerns about this, which is the right thing to do, there has to be a communication, and I'm sure AmigaKit and hopefully Hyperion noticed or will be told.

What do you think about that?

ggw 
Posted on 29-Nov-2017 2:44:25
#72 ]

@Hypex

Quote:
Though the last one is not officially part of the OS, it does fix up the broken parts in FE and what is broke on the X1000.

I have been indisposed for a couple years. I own a X1000. Where can I find a list of the broken parts in FE that the Enhancer Package fixes. I haven't bought any computer anything in these last 2 years, but I would like to consider it now.

..effects of civilization upon...nature, the growing gap between what education was supposed to accomplish and what it consisted of, the national debt and...high taxes, the problem of the excess cost of medical care -- Philip Wylie, 1951

broadblues 
Posted on 29-Nov-2017 11:07:16
#73 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@ggw

Quote:

/ have been indisposed for a couple years. I own a X1000. Where can I find a list of the broken parts in FE that the Enhancer Package fixes. I haven't bought any computer anything in these last 2 years, but I would like to consider it now.

Enhancer does not fix any 'broken parts' in FE. It provides extra functionailty by adding a range of utilities to the basic install. A couple of prefs programs are replaced too.

amigakit 
Posted on 29-Nov-2017 11:08:57
#74 ]
Amiga Kit

@broadblues

Yes, and in addition, the RadeonHD driver has been upgraded to use the new functionality of the Warp3D Nova system which is included in the Enhancer Software Standard and Plus versions.

Hypex 
Posted on 29-Nov-2017 13:06:55
#75 ]
Elite Member

@Amigo1

Well yes everyone needs to eat. The problem is we were told, at least those who bought an X1000 and entered into the agreement, is that we would receive OS4.2 when it was available. And even now OS4.2 still seems far away. FE incorporated 4.2 features and was like an emergency backup plan when it became obvious that a full 4.2 would be too much work for the next release. The agreement could have been changed so that we would receive FE instead. But I didn't see this happen. This does make it hard for them as the burden is to put all this hard work into it then give it away for free to select owners. And owners of X1000 hardware now considered obsolete. If that changes anything. Perhaps best not to promise anything except that which is ready to go. Otherwise it just annoys us and we spend years going on about it.

Hypex 
Posted on 29-Nov-2017 13:18:27
#76 ]
Elite Member

@ggw

Here's one. Have you tried PartitionWizard on your X1000? It has never worked on my X1000 on any OS version. It's in the Enhancer package. I assume it works on the X1000 or I take it back.

amigakit 
Posted on 29-Nov-2017 13:40:48
#77 ]
Amiga Kit

@Hypex

The Enhancer Software package contains a working Partition Wizard and other items (SFS2, disk cache lib, AmiDVD) from Joerg Stohmayer because of a later agreement that was made between A-EON and Joerg when it became known that he no longer wanted to continue supplying any files for subsequent OS4 releases.

Raffaele 
Posted on 29-Nov-2017 18:34:36
#78 ]

@Thread

People, you are completely off topic here. Please open another discussion.

pavlor 
Posted on 29-Nov-2017 18:45:37
#79 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

Well, it was me who often derailed other threads by off-topic comments. I can´t blame others for doing the same in my own thread.

Thanks you all for input. If anybody has some other request concerning Amiga related Wikipedia articles, I´m glad to help.

A1200 
Posted on 29-Nov-2017 21:24:17
#80 ]
Elite Member

Who cares about any of this really? When we the remaining few are dead i doubt they will be studying this stuff in history lessons. Put Amiga were created by pink elephants and be done with it.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle