Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
23 crawler(s) on-line.
 157 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

pixie

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pixie:  1 min ago
 BigD:  23 mins ago
 matthey:  37 mins ago
 AndreasM:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 8 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 15 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 39 mins ago
 Swisso:  1 hr 43 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 18 mins ago
 amigang:  2 hrs 51 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Hardware
      /  OS4.1 on Classic
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Cass 
OS4.1 on Classic
Posted on 29-Jun-2011 18:06:11
#1 ]

I just finished configuring and installing some progs on my freshly upgraded from 4.0 to 4.1 A4000. First impressions : a worthy upgrade! Everything runs just out of the box (everything needed to install the new OS is included in the package).
The system is responsive even with low resources (150MHz, 128MB).
It is stable and nothing reminds 4.0 (random crashes, lockups on GrimReaper). I got an app crashed and quiting with no problems considering the system stability (continued to work flawlessly).

Its a brand new system (for those who haven`t tested it`s like 3.0 to 3.1 or even better 2.x to 3.1!).

Things I had to add : KingCon, AmiUpdate, FreeWheel, a script to change keymap on the fly with FKey (from latin to greek and vise versa).

More to come, as I use the system (I used to boot on 3.9 than 4.0!)

Profile     Report this post  
HammerD 
Re: OS4.1 on Classic
Posted on 29-Jun-2011 19:31:00
#2 ]
Cult Member

@Cass

Glad you like it! We did spend quite a considerable amount of time making the Installation experience much better, including the "Live CD" option to booting to workbench...which is quite handy for troubleshooting.

Make sure you register it and head on over to the official support forums at Hyperion if you have any questions. Also check out my website http://www.hd-zone.com - lots of AmigaOS 4.1 Classic info there.

vox 
Posted on 29-Jun-2011 19:43:34
#3 ]
Elite Member

@Cass

Glad even Classic experience is great as well as support and updates are/will be availiable.

It finally fullfils the old promise of expanding Classic to new era,
even without big words of DigitalEnvirovnment, Amiga Objects etc.
but by "natural" OS evolution. Survivng Classics become usable once again
and link has been finally establised (as well as "Don`t call me Classic" slogan).
Its sad some new cheap PPC Zorro card for working (and availiable) A1200 and other Classic models isn`t availiable, beside a lot of expansions made after Commodore demise. Hope IT will happen, or even by PCI card for PCI expansions for Classics as well as all PCs (Now OS 4.1 Classic could go with 604, 256MB integrated Radeon 9200 PCI card which could be affordable)

Also, it shows low specs hardware like Efika (or some cheapest of AMCC chipsets) could bring also OS 4.1 to wider audience of maybe even countries in development.
Higher hardware sales with OS could benefit in lower OS price for all.

Indeed, it shows OS 4.1 can be well optimized even for low specs targets in today IT world: 150Mhz 603/604 and 128MB is less then lowest Android driven phones specs.

Some touscreen drivers were demonstrated in kiosk type SAM EP440 as well as OS 4.0 on eLap.

JayCee 
Posted on 29-Jun-2011 20:35:06
#4 ]

Wish somone would make new ppc accelerators for my A4000 then I could upgrade the OS. Just a dream I know.
Oh well I got Sam so really all I need.

Last edited by JayCee on 29-Jun-2011 at 08:36 PM.

amigakit 
Posted on 29-Jun-2011 20:37:15
#5 ]
Amiga Kit

@Cass

Thank you for ordering AmigaOS 4.1 Classic

Please consider leaving a review of your experiences on our website.

Thank you.

Last edited by amigakit on 29-Jun-2011 at 08:37 PM.

Mechanic 
Posted on 29-Jun-2011 20:53:33
#6 ]
Elite Member

@Cass

That is good to hear.

Wait a minute!

You have an A4000 + PPC accelerator

You no good, dirty low down, @-#%*&'$;- . WHAAAAA.....I want one!

pampers 
Posted on 29-Jun-2011 21:25:13
#7 ]

@Mechanic

That really makes me wonder sometimes, no offence or ironic - that ppl would want to upgrade their classic systems to run AmigaOS 4.1 instead of getting for example Sam which is quite cheaper than proper PPC accelerator. Or is my impression wrong?

agnus1975x 
Posted on 29-Jun-2011 22:21:00
#8 ]

@pampers

Me.
I've never seen Amiga NGs as Amigas.
I bought a Cyberstorm PPC years ago, but the experience was not very good with Amiga OS 4.0.

Now thanks to Os4.1 Classic and how well it works, I'ts the first time that I don't close the door to a SAM system.

But my ideal amiga computer would be a Natami (with the Amiga classic magic) + PPC card for run Os4.1.

Regards

Last edited by jesusmdc on 29-Jun-2011 at 10:31 PM.

vox 
Posted on 29-Jun-2011 23:02:03
#9 ]
Elite Member

@pampers

Seems people love their Classics, and would love to have any PPC card, and newer and better one for such prices would be good. Also, as current PPC cards also run MOS 1.x, better one could bring MOS 2.x too. And PPC AROS.

wawa 
Posted on 30-Jun-2011 12:33:22
#10 ]
Elite Member

@pampers

first of all i dont think you are in a position to question other people choices being sane or not especially in this community. similar question you ask a classic user can be asked of you by x86 linux user: "why not use linux x86 distro instead of morphos in outdated slow ppc, you can still run amiga apps via uae?" therefore all choices we have are more or less non-reasonable. now, the powerup port of morphos is available again after os4.1.2 has been released. what about to question that?

besides, like in this case, most people interested in os4.1 classic have the hardware already, so i regard buying the update a minor expense. well you will have to buy the right radeon gfx card, since most do not work from what ive heard, or do only with elbox drivers, without hardware acceleration. but whatever.

as for me my a4k with csppc is the only hardware that ever ran os4 in here. in fact i have a complete system ready by the specs of it. even if currently im not going to upgrade to os4.1.2 its nice that there is an option.

pampers 
Posted on 30-Jun-2011 13:22:42
#11 ]

@wawa

You are overreacting - that is my comment to your post.

@jesusmdc, vox

I fully understand your point of view. Thanks for your answers.

wawa 
Posted on 30-Jun-2011 13:30:27
#12 ]
Elite Member

@pampers

overreacting? well, perhaps it may sound so. note that im rather an os4 sceptic. i just dont think it makes sence discuss users choices here.

m0lebrain 
Posted on 30-Jun-2011 13:34:40
#13 ]

@pampers

ONLY AMIGGAAAAAA....MAKES IT.... ok, I'll stop :)

This is pretty cool. Does anybody know how stable OWB is on Classic Amiga 4.1? @cass Have you tried on your 4000?

Last edited by m0lebrain on 30-Jun-2011 at 01:35 PM.

Cass 
Posted on 10-Sep-2011 0:49:23
#14 ]

@m0lebrain

Now I`m testing MUIOWB (I`ve installed the 3rd update so my system is 4.1.3 ), but it`s more resource demanding (leaving the system with 4MB free mem after loading!).
OWB is pretty stable but has some bugs. After minimizing the window (the top-right gadget) and restoring the size bu pressing again the gadget, the page remains shrinked?!
Anyhow it`s a nice replacement to the old existing browsers.

Kicko 
Posted on 10-Sep-2011 10:17:23
#15 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Pampers is just asking a normal question. Most of us had a500,a600, A1200, A4000 etc and used classic and moved when something new come with more power that comes with new version of amigaos or mos, winuae, aros etc. WinUEA of course gives you much more power. I used it on my laptop in summer hollyday so i could still use hd-rec controlling my HW synthesizer to do music. But still it lacks the more modern OS.

Not all folks wants to #### the classic users. Its more of... they feel with them and would like them to go on and feel what they feel every day :) I mean Hyperion will not support classic forever. Just look at apple with their macos. No ppcsupport anymore. Every user chooses what he wants to do sure and i respect that. I went to amigaone and used linux on it waiting for os4. Used a4000 until i got os4 for amigaone. When i felt it can do the most things the classic can for my use i sold my a4000 and i dont feel like i lost something. Ok i cant use games/apps that are hardcoded but i dont really play games on computer (i have ps3 still i almost never use it).

Ofcourse there are some cons like missing things like artfeffect is buggy under os4, it works but not like before. I can always use one of the other paint packages. Tracks & bars i miss also but it as really limited as it has no sample support and is only midiout. HD-REC has everything. Not a tracker but all the rest things are pros. But in the end i can use so much more new apps that are coming. Like today i use owbmui and the power is needed. Thats only how its for me.

I always talk about memory and cpu and you will feel it when using owb and such apps that your memory will be gone fast and the app will feel slow. So waiting for an update of ibrowse etc will not happen. Things like this is why people often ask classic users why they dont buy something new. Nothing strange..

I had 3 PPC cards for my A4000. I was not one of the lucky guys :) Today im happy to use os4 without hacks/patches and all kind of 3rd old HW. Ofcourse A1 is not that perfect like Articia and other stuff but most stuff works.

So for one that doesnt need more memory more power etc the classic is their precious thing. I mean some folks have both SAM/A1/Peg etc and also use classic computers. Use the new HW for new and power needed apps and classic for old stuff that dont work under the new. Pampers just wondered. I dont know how many times i talked to classic users about new stuff.

Its the same way the other way too. Some classic users wouldnt accept that the new HW and OS is amiga in the continue. And still talking about old hardware with paula, denise etc... i think most of us have been a classic user.

Its easy, everyone chooses what they want to use and there nothing bad someone wants to recommend something else ofcourse if its not to #### about their choose of platform etc.

We all come from classic and today we are on mos/os4/uae/aros splitted and talking pros and cons of them all. Ofcourse there are alot of trolls too that dont want to understand the other way or the ones that trolls and probably dont own an amigasystem or will never buy because of this or that.....

EDIT: Forgot to say congratulations for you purchase and i hope you enjoy it :) Goot too see your reviews on how it feels for you :)

Last edited by Kicko on 10-Sep-2011 at 10:34 AM.
Last edited by Kicko on 10-Sep-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Last edited by Kicko on 10-Sep-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Last edited by Kicko on 10-Sep-2011 at 10:18 AM.

wawa 
Posted on 10-Sep-2011 12:33:03
#16 ]
Elite Member

@Kicko

oh, that one post i nearly forgot about by now. forgive me. i am just against questioning personal choices over and over, be it mos, aros, classic or os4, while trying to base it on reason.

btw, what purchase are you talking about? i reconsidered os4.1.3 like a week ago since i had an impression i could use its updated 3d gfx together with hollywood for my currently planned work, but then it occured impossible. :(

Kicko 
Posted on 10-Sep-2011 20:15:30
#17 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

I forget to type @CASS for the purchase/install what this thread was about :) Sorry wawa

Tomas 
Posted on 10-Sep-2011 20:27:06
#18 ]
Elite Member

@pampers

Quote:

pampers wrote:
@Mechanic

That really makes me wonder sometimes, no offence or ironic - that ppl would want to upgrade their classic systems to run AmigaOS 4.1 instead of getting for example Sam which is quite cheaper than proper PPC accelerator. Or is my impression wrong?

What if you want to run classic software/games that require custom chipset?
And why not upgrade if it actually improves stability and makes the classic system more useable?

Tomas 
Posted on 10-Sep-2011 20:28:33
#19 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:

wawa wrote:
@pampers

overreacting? well, perhaps it may sound so. note that im rather an os4 sceptic. i just dont think it makes sence discuss users choices here.

Kinda funny since judging from your previous posts you haven't even USED it.
You are nothing more than a troll that show up in every single thread about os4.x just to #### all over said threads.

Chris_Y 
Posted on 10-Sep-2011 20:55:18
#20 ]
Elite Member

@Cass

Quote:

Now I`m testing MUIOWB (I`ve installed the 3rd update so my system is 4.1.3 ), but it`s more resource demanding (leaving the system with 4MB free mem after loading!).

Try NetSurf, it's less demanding and I hear it runs well on OS4 Classic. v2.8 release due in a couple of weeks

Chris

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle