Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
20 crawler(s) on-line.
 142 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Gunnar

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  2 mins ago
 Rob:  8 mins ago
 blmara:  34 mins ago
 miggymac:  1 hr 17 mins ago
 pixie:  3 hrs 6 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  3 hrs 45 mins ago
 DWolfman:  3 hrs 55 mins ago
 cncparts:  5 hrs 28 mins ago
 saipaman4366:  6 hrs 14 mins ago
 Beajar:  6 hrs 33 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Software
      /  Turboprint SORTED
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
sicky 
Re: Turboprint
Posted on 18-Jul-2011 17:28:42
#21 ]
Elite Member

@whose

Quote:
This one is a PCL3GUI printer, so it should work with the OS4 Photosmart driver and several TuroPrint drivers.

That's good news to me, will be getting that printer later this week. No need for Turboprint (saving me 35 euros) if Photosmart printer driver in OS4.1 works

Profile     Report this post  
whose 
Posted on 18-Jul-2011 23:59:08
#22 ]
Cult Member

@sicky

I really hope that this printer works with the Photosmart driver. It should work, but I cannot guarantee this. I got it working with my Photosmart D5160 (CD printing does not work!) and a friend of mine used it successfully with a D5460, but I dont know for the printer youre going to purchase. I can only assume, as it is a PCL3GUI printer.

At least it should work with 300dpi resolution, but I strongly believe that it will work with up to 600 dpi (driver limit, as it doesnt support full PCL3GUI, only a subset of the PCL3GUI commands). Colour quality is quite poor, nonetheless. You will find that the printouts are too dark. This might result from missing/faulty colour correction within the driver (a drawback of the AmigaOS printing system. Colour correction at a decent level has to be provided by the driver, printer.device provides only very basic colour correction/scaling functions. I would really like to see Wolf Fausts Studio colour correction/scaling functions integrated into printer.device...).

If you need high quality colour, you should seriously think about purchasing TurboPrint.

Remember that the OS4.x Photosmart driver is not "official", you will find it at os4depot for download.

Last edited by whose on 19-Jul-2011 at 12:03 AM.

Beeblebrox 
Posted on 19-Jul-2011 8:27:51
#23 ]

@sicky

next to my amiga on the same table, there is a pc with a samsung gdi printer. My solution for simple printing with amiga was to use the pcs gdi driver. theres a tool called logmon on pc that polls a directory if there is a postscript file in it. ghostscript then starts, converts it to a pdf and sends it to the printer. I made a - sadly only german - workshop about this on www.endlosstudent.de -> workshops -> Vom Amiga über den Windows-PC drucken (Anno 2009)

OldFart 
Posted on 19-Jul-2011 8:47:49
#24 ]
Elite Member
From: Stad; en d'r is moar ain stad en da's Stad. Makkelk zat!

@Beeblebrox

Got an old and venerable HP LaserJet 4+ with a JetDirect card in it. This allows me to hook it up to the wired network here and was at one time accessible by a handfull of computers. Lovely.

OldFart

whose 
Posted on 19-Jul-2011 10:41:09
#25 ]
Cult Member

@OldFart

Hehe, yes, I grabbed an LaserJet4M/Plus from the dumbsters, mint condition and fully functional. You cant print cheaper and easier than with this "little" thingie

@beeblebrox:

You could use your Win/GhostScript installation as a "virtual network printer" even. This way it doesnt poll a directory all the time, but uses the *nix printing functions provided with WinXP+. I have to search for the site where it is described it detail, but it uses GS and RedMon for this purpose. If you need some "consumer network printer", this is a really good solution.

Edit: found it! Click here (beware, its German!)

Edit2: If you want to use the Win printing system, you only have to replace the GS outut device by "mswinprint2" (or similar, dont remember yet).

Last edited by whose on 19-Jul-2011 at 10:48 AM.

gerograph 
Posted on 19-Jul-2011 10:42:58
#26 ]
Cult Member

@whose
Any Idea, if there is a TurboPrint Driver, which supports PCL6 with upto 600dpi ?

@beeblebrox
great, I was the one who invented that ! Mr. "Endlosstudent" just did the workshop for us !

www.geomarketing-consultant.de

whose 
Posted on 19-Jul-2011 11:06:12
#27 ]
Cult Member

@gerograph

Hm, I dont know about TP and PCL6. For not-so-new printers there should be a PCL5 fallback which you could use instead, and TP supports 600dpi with PCL5 drivers (LaserJet5 Series).

Beeblebrox 
Posted on 19-Jul-2011 14:46:00
#28 ]

@whose

I spent several hours with trying to get the redmon thing described in your link to work without success.

@gerograph

nobody wants to steal your idea ;) But yours was the one that worked for me.

whose 
Posted on 19-Jul-2011 15:34:24
#29 ]
Cult Member

@Beeblebrox

Found another one, describing more details:

Click here

Again, its German.

Following this workshop you should be able to print over network, from your Amiga (using the PostScript driver) to your Win machine. If not, we can talk about it via PM, German is easier for me, too I got it working here, using WinXP on several machines.

Regards

MichaelMerkel 
Posted on 19-Jul-2011 17:48:07
#30 ]
Cult Member

@whose

Quote:

whose wrote:
@Beeblebrox

Found another one, describing more details:

Click here

Again, its German.

Following this workshop you should be able to print over network, from your Amiga (using the PostScript driver) to your Win machine. If not, we can talk about it via PM, German is easier for me, too I got it working here, using WinXP on several machines.

i used that several years ago but always had one problem: the paper size was not correct.
when printing a din a4 page to the printer it was always incorrect. the position and size was wrong. if i instead printed the exact same ps file directly with ghostview on the win machine everything was fine. just the redirection made things bad. i never solved it. and no longer use it.

regards...
michael

whose 
Posted on 19-Jul-2011 20:22:26
#31 ]
Cult Member

@MichaelMerkel

Hmm... the redirection port doesnt do anything to paper sizes. It just listen to a network port and hand over the incoming data to GhostScript. It depends on the printer driver, I would think.

If this "trick" is used with a Non-LaserJet5-printer, the paper sizes might be a problem for this printer and should therefore be adjusted according to the capablilities of the device used for printout. GS options come in my mind regarding the paper size.

Edit: Found another one

Click here

English this time

Last edited by whose on 19-Jul-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Last edited by whose on 19-Jul-2011 at 08:43 PM.

sicky 
Posted on 19-Jul-2011 20:39:54
#32 ]
Elite Member

@All

I got my HP Photosmart printer today and now have it working via network using netprinter.device and HP_Photosmart printer driver.

Ironically it was easier to set up and get running on the Amiga than my Mac!

Happy days

Last edited by sicky on 19-Jul-2011 at 08:43 PM.

whose 
Posted on 19-Jul-2011 20:44:03
#33 ]
Cult Member

@sicky

Hehe, congrats

Dandy 
Posted on 20-Jul-2011 6:47:32
#34 ]
Elite Member

@Swoop

Quote:

Swoop wrote:
@Templario

Turboprint is only 68k, and I don't think there is any chance of a new version.

Has someone already tried to contact them and asked what the chances are for new native versions of TurboPrint (OS 3.x, OS 4.x, MorphOS, AROS)?

If not, I could try to contact them.

I already successfully contacted the owner of DynaCadd and asked him if there would be a chance for DynaCadd being ported to OS 4.x - and he told me that there is a chance.

Unfortunately the resonance among the amigans was very weak - just a few showed interest...

Dandy

gerograph 
Posted on 20-Jul-2011 7:30:15
#35 ]
Cult Member

@Dandy

I contacted Irsee Soft already, they donnot have contact to TP author anymore. They will not release it as Opensource, neither have support for it...

However, wondering who is in charge of the MorphOS port

@all
about papersize: If I recall correctly, there were problems related to amipdf and/or ghostscript only capable of printing "letter" instead of "A4" size. Cyborg from OS4welt.de (OS4 dev) said he will report the issue to the people in charge of it... I'll post link to OS4welt.de thread, if I find it...

Edit:
http://www.os4welt.de/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=228&hilit=netprinter
I have to reread, I cannot really remember what the problem was, patient please. I'll report back !

regards Gero

Last edited by gerograph on 20-Jul-2011 at 07:38 AM.
Last edited by gerograph on 20-Jul-2011 at 07:37 AM.

Dandy 
Posted on 20-Jul-2011 7:59:28
#36 ]
Elite Member

@gerograph

Quote:

gerograph wrote:

Most printers using 600x600 DPI or above (Colorlaser and inkjet) are only supported via Turboprint with resolutions upto 300x300 DPI. This results in a bad qualitiy at least for photo printing.

Sorry, but I have to contradict here.
I still have an Epson Stylus color 600 in use at home on my A4000PPC with OS 3.9 and TurboPrint.
The Epson Stylus Color 600 has a resolution of up to 1440 dpi - x 720 dpi and IS supported by TP...
The photos I printed up to now are brilliant - that's why I saw no reason to change the printer since 1998...

But I have to admit that I didn't try it with OS 4.x up to now.

Quote:

gerograph wrote:

This means you have to stick to postscript printers, which will give a very good result on Linux but a worse result on Amiga OS, as all photos get printed to dark. Seems there is no color correction (?).

Hmmmm - when I bought my Epson printer and scanner back in 1997 on the Amiga fair here in Cologne I also bought a registered copy of ICS - The Free AmigaOS Scanner Color Calibration Software.
I'm quite happy with that...

Quote:

gerograph wrote:

So overall, best thing to do is getting a PS printer and live with the fact, that your photo prinouts are getting quiet dark.

If I have a dark photo I load it into fxSCAN and use the image-processing (that use the ICS system) functions to brighten it...

Quote:

gerograph wrote:

Using a network capable printer is also a good idea, as not all printers are supported by USB.

My Epson Stylus is connected to the USB port of my router via USB to parallel adaptor and can be used from my XP-PC as well - does that qualify as network printer?

Quote:

gerograph wrote:

About All-in-One:
Printout will be O.k. (see above), most of them are network capable as well.
Epson scanning might be supported via AmiCygnix (but untested as far as I know).

As I said - scanning with my flatbed scanner Epson GT 6500 works like a charm with ScanQuix5/fxSCAN on my A4kPPC with OS 3.9/WarpOS 16.1. I haven't tested it with OS4.x - but as far as I heard classic software should work with OS 4.x as long as it doesn't bang the hardware...
If or to what extent All-in-One devices can be used I cannot tell.

Quote:

gerograph wrote:

and yes, new drivers for OS4 incl. colorcorrection are defnitely needed !

Fully agreed!

Dandy

Nibunnoichi 
Posted on 20-Jul-2011 8:13:15
#37 ]
Cult Member

@gerograph

Quote:

I contacted Irsee Soft already, they donnot have contact to TP author anymore. They will not release it as Opensource, neither have support for it...

You don't need to opensource it, someone could do a contract with them to port the old OS3 version without releasing the sources, and then pay royalties to the owners for example.

Quote:

gerograph wrote:
However, wondering who is in charge of the MorphOS port

As said by Analogkid in this very thread, it's not a full port but a "mix" between 68K and PPC. As i understand it, the core is the same old as on OS3 but with MorphOS native prefs gui (i don't have MorphOS, this is just what i understand based on Analogkid's post and in
this artcile on the net).

Nibunnoichi 
Posted on 20-Jul-2011 8:16:16
#38 ]
Cult Member

@Dandy

Quote:

Dandy wrote:
I already successfully contacted the owner of DynaCadd and asked him if there would be a chance for DynaCadd being ported to OS 4.x - and he told me that there is a chance.
Unfortunately the resonance among the amigans was very weak - just a few showed interest...

That is great on your part, thanks but i believe a CAD is too a specialized application, and not everybody is going to buy it anyway... don't have any use of it myself but would buy it only to support the effort of native Amiga software...
On the other hand, TurboPrint would gear a lot more interest

Last edited by Nibunnoichi on 20-Jul-2011 at 08:17 AM.

gerograph 
Posted on 20-Jul-2011 9:03:52
#39 ]
Cult Member

@Dandy

Quote:
Sorry, but I have to contradict here. I still have an Epson Stylus color 600 in use at home on my A4000PPC with OS 3.9 and TurboPrint. The Epson Stylus Color 600 has a resolution of up to 1440 dpi - x 720 dpi and IS supported by TP... The photos I printed up to now are brilliant - that's why I saw no reason to change the printer since 1998...

As I said, "most". Maybe I should add "most recent". Seems like older printers espiacally Epson do work. There is a list of TP supported printers somewhere.

Quote:
My Epson Stylus is connected to the USB port of my router via USB to parallel adaptor and can be used from my XP-PC as well - does that qualify as network printer?

Well, I guess so, because Printer will be accessed via Network on XP (I guess). So you should find an IP somewhere on Windows for your printer.

Quote:
If I have a dark photo I load it into fxSCAN and use the image-processing (that use the ICS system) functions to brighten it...

Correct, thats the way to go... However, when doing e.g. PageStream stuff I donnot always want to lighten up images. Or if I have pdf... Images will still printed to dark.

regards Gerograph

MichaelMerkel 
Posted on 20-Jul-2011 10:53:10
#40 ]
Cult Member

@whose

Quote:

whose wrote:
@MichaelMerkel

Hmm... the redirection port doesnt do anything to paper sizes. It just listen to a network port and hand over the incoming data to GhostScript. It depends on the printer driver, I would think.

If this "trick" is used with a Non-LaserJet5-printer, the paper sizes might be a problem for this printer and should therefore be adjusted according to the capablilities of the device used for printout. GS options come in my mind regarding the paper size.

well, you see - this was the problem i was never able to solve. i also thought that it only redirects and should NOT affect anything. but it did and thus i stoped using it.
as long as the manuel-copy-to-pc-and-print-manually-with-gs works i'm fine with it.

regards...
michael

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle