Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
36 crawler(s) on-line.
 110 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 fordprefect:  25 mins ago
 matthey:  25 mins ago
 redfox:  25 mins ago
 Karlos:  2 hrs 2 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 3 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 10 mins ago
 RobertB:  2 hrs 29 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 34 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  2 hrs 39 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  2 hrs 40 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  uA1c with update 3 locks up after booting
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Ned 
uA1c with update 3 locks up after booting
Posted on 17-Sep-2011 21:09:33
#1 ]
Cult Member

After a clean install of updates 1, 2, and 3 on my uA1c, and having made no changes to anything, the system boots up on my uA1c and is very stable. It will sit there and run until the screen blanker kicks in. It reboots just fine and does not lock up.

Earlier today I went into prefs and modified the internet stuff to get me back online (I never even launched any applications that would have connected to the internet). Having made the modifications, my system is now unstable. The first time I powered it off and on, kickstart loaded and then then black screen with AmigaOS 4.1 and the boing ball comes up and the system froze. When I powered it off and on three other times it comes all the way back to life with workbench loading but then immediately or shortly thereafter it freezes. Does anyone have any ideas as to why just setting the internet prefs would cause this kind of problem.

Thanks.

Profile     Report this post  
whose 
Re: uA1c with update 3 locks up after booting
Posted on 17-Sep-2011 21:14:51
#2 ]
Cult Member

@Ned

How long did you wait for your system to finish boot? I mean, the time you spend until you jugded it as a "system freeze".

Its possible that your internet stuff causes a rather long wait period in the boot cycle. Check first, if it continues to boot after about a minute.

Sandpiper 
Posted on 17-Sep-2011 21:16:21
#3 ]

@Ned

I experienced the same problem with my µA1c after a clean install. Once I disabled the onboard USB ports (front and back) the system has been very stable.

Ned 
Posted on 17-Sep-2011 22:26:14
#4 ]
Cult Member

@whose

The freeze that I'm describing shows up when I try to move the PS2 mouse. The mouse will not move.

Ned 
Posted on 17-Sep-2011 22:28:08
#5 ]
Cult Member

@Sandpiper

I already had the front USB ports disabled (I needed to disable something in order to get the update 1 CD to work). I'll try disabling the rear too and see what happens.

Sandpiper 
Posted on 17-Sep-2011 23:58:59
#6 ]

@Ned

I can't say for sure that disabling the USB ports 'cured' my issue, but that is the only thing that I can recall changing. It doesn't hurt to try. I have a USB card in the PCI slot so I don't need onboard USB anyway.

Ned 
Posted on 18-Sep-2011 1:20:37
#7 ]
Cult Member

@Sandpiper

I have disabled all of the onboard USB ports (front and back) and I still am having problems with the system locking up on me.

mr_homm 
Posted on 18-Sep-2011 3:42:25
#8 ]

@Ned

I have a microA1 and there has been ongoing trouble with my ethernet which may be related to your problem. When I boot, sometimes the system locks at the startup splash screen, sometimes gets to workbench, and sometimes comes up just fine. It appears to me that the cause is the ethernet initialization. When the system does come up, if I try "ping router" in the CLI, it shows most often a large loss of pings (like 40% packets missing or so). Sometimes no pings at all return.

Now here is where it gets interesting: if I get SOME pings returning, and I then unplug the ethernet cable and replug it, afterwards I get 100% pings returning correctly, and the system is then stable for days unless I do something myself that crashes it. If I do not do this, I'll get the very spotty ping returns forever (I've left it for hours). If I get NO pings returning, then unplugging/replugging the cable has no effect. So it seems that there is something missing at the physical level from the ethernet system, such as perhaps a bad ground or some such, which "fixes itself" when the cable is unplugged.

In addition to that, if I open a CLI and try a getnetstatus or shownetstatus, and I'm getting 40% packet loss, the sortware reports everything fine. When I get no packet returns at all, it reports that no net connection is configured. However, in either case, if I try netshutdown the CLI freezes, network never shuts down, and CLI stays busy forever (hours or days). The system is otherwise functional, but no internet obviously. This appears to be more of a software problem.

My thought about how this applies to your case is that perhaps your ethernet has a similar problem to mine, and sometimes addnetinterface will fail during bootup, possibly triggering the same endless loop I see with netshutdown. So you could try the following: during bootup, as soon as you see your ethernet jack light come on, pull the cord out and replug it immediately. This may be fast enough to prevent the timeout that causes addnetinterface to fail. If so, and if this is your problem, it should fix things up. It's just a bit annoying to have to babysit the bootup in this way. Reminds me of some old cars I've seen that would only start if you did some peculiar thing while turning the key.

Anyway, hope that helps!

--Stuart Anderson

Ned 
Posted on 21-Sep-2011 15:41:21
#9 ]
Cult Member

@mr_homm

Thanks very much for this info. This has helped a lot as it seems that my problem is also related to my ethernet connection. The thought of trying to unplug and then quickly plug back in the ethernet cable as soon as the ethernet jack light comes on was not terribly appealing. However, what I did try and this seems to work very well (I have not had any hang ups since using this technique) is to unplug the ethernet cable before booting and let the system come all the way up. Then plug the ethernet cable back in, open prefs/internet. select inerface/modify, and then without making any changes select use, save, and restart TCP/IP stack now.

This leads me to wonder if I might be able to automate the process somehow by delaying the system's attempt to get internet up and running so early in the startup sequence. That is, maybe disable all the existing internet startup stuff and perhaps put it at the end of user-startup or something. Any thoughts?

Breed 
Posted on 21-Sep-2011 16:20:29
#10 ]

I have been also same problems with Ethernet on my MicroA1.
That was also with 4.1 update 2.
I remember that problems started when I changed my internet router.
Maybe the problem is that Ethernet device can not set up speed/dublex settings correctly.
Is there posibility to adjust those settings on OS?

Beeblebrox 
Posted on 26-Sep-2011 8:30:53
#11 ]

@Ned

same problem with my uAOne. IIRC I could solve this problem by using a 100MBit PCI card with an RTL chip and its corresponding OS4.? driver. This was about two years ago. But now we changed flat and I have no possibility to use a LAN cable. To have WLAN acces I modified an SE-505 router to DD-WRT firmware to act as an repeater bridge. Sadly this configuration wont work for some reason with the PCI 100MBit RTL ethernet card and now I use the internal ethernet again. And I have the same lockups again...

portarinos 
Posted on 26-Sep-2011 10:57:28
#12 ]

I had the very same problems in the recent past. I had thought of selling my uA1 until i decided to roll back to the previous 256 RAM module i had used for ages and all the freezes and such problems vanished. I stopped using the 512 module i bought and now i have a stable system running 4.1.3 and all i can say is that it's one of the most pleasant experiences i have ever had in the last years. The OS is responsive, it doesn't crash all the time and i can do lots of things with my uA1. Maybe in your case is a matter of bad memory too.

Xenic 
Posted on 26-Sep-2011 16:26:18
#13 ]

@Ned
How many files are in your DH0:Devs/NetInterfaces/ directory and what are the names?
If you accidently created another NetInterface file instead of modifying the original, that might be a cause for trouble.

Last edited by Xenic on 26-Sep-2011 at 04:26 PM.

corto 
Posted on 26-Sep-2011 16:53:17
#14 ]

I will read this thread carefully when I will be on my µAOne but after I installed the update 3, I was also blocked at the system screen (the black screen with the AmigaOS logo).
It worked after I removed the USB card and I thought it was the cause.
But I also experienced that later without the card.
I also need to make a hot reboot to get the network working. I have to check it was not due to IP conflicts.

Ned 
Posted on 4-Oct-2011 20:52:02
#15 ]
Cult Member

@Xenic

There is only one file in DH0;Devs/Netinterfaces so I don't think that is the problem.

Recently I tried something. I edited s:Startup-sequence and commented out the line
c:AddNetInterface QUIET ...
Now I can leave my ethernet cable plugged into the uA1c. The system boots up just fine without any locking up now and then I turn around and go into prefs/internet and start things manually.

Ned 
Posted on 14-Oct-2011 22:38:43
#16 ]
Cult Member

As I guess a final note on this problem, I recently moved the line:
c:AddNetInterface QUIET ...
to what is for all practical purpose the end of user-startup. For some reason having this executed there works just fine, and I have not had any weird lockups since doing it.

When I say for all practical purposes, what I mean is that most of what would normally go in user-startup is actually in my own startup file under a different name and about all that I have added to user-startup is a line that executes my startup file. This way whenever I do a new installation I don't need to worry about what I need to put back into user-startup to get my system up and running again.

sundown 
Posted on 15-Oct-2011 2:34:23
#17 ]
Elite Member

@Ned

The net line in s:startup-sequence will stop the booting until a net connection is made. A lot of use changed the line to allow booting to continue instead of waiting.

Original line,
AddNetInterface QUIET DEVS:NetInterfaces/~(#?.info)

Modified line,
Run *>NIL: AddNetInterface QUIET DEVS:NetInterfaces/~(#?.info)

The "Run *>NIL:" part was added.

Update 3 made the run command a little more picky, so had to add the "*" to get it working.

You can try that, if it works, no need to start the net after.

OldFart 
Posted on 15-Oct-2011 13:48:41
#18 ]
Elite Member
From: Stad; en d'r is moar ain stad en da's Stad. Makkelk zat!

@thread

Being a proud owner of a µA1 too, I read this thread with a high degree of interest, because since a long time, read: years, I have this experience of the system locking up solid every now and then, up to 5 times or more in one hour!
Booting HARDLY EVER fails. Rear USB-ports have been disabled since long. Startup-Sequence has been modified for the 'AddNetInterface' part since long too. Blanker has been disabled (oh boy! Believe me when i say that THAT made a HUGE difference for the better). Btw, a blanker is actually useless as the purpose for its exsistence, preventing burning-in of a crt, is anihilated over time.
Sure ways to bring the system down is using the compiler: sometimes it continues to work over and over again for half a day, sometimes it just bails out the moment it is invoked and keeps on doing that.
Leaving the browser (OWB: both versions) running is another timehonoured way to get it down, while copying huge amounts of pictures makes a quick job of it.

@sundown
I still run the command this way:

Run >NIL: AddNetInterface QUIET DEVS:NetInterfaces/~(#?.info)

No problem whatsoever.

In S-S I made the modification too for
SYS:System/RexxMast >NIL:

and for
 *>NIL: C:SoundPlayer QUIET
, but that line got even further prefixed with a semi-colon, thereby disabling it altogether.

@ thread
Conclusion: I just love my µA1! *)

OldFart

*) Probably due to having no proper replacement for it.

redfox 
Posted on 15-Oct-2011 16:42:45
#19 ]
Elite Member

@sundown

I've been using

Run >NIL: AddNetInterface QUIET DEVS:NetInterfaces/~(#?.info)

for years with no apparent lockups, even with OS4.1 Update 3.

It is my first change everytime I install a new version of OS4.

I was wondering how "Run *>NIL:" would act differently from "Run >NIL:" in the command.

I use DHCP.

---
redfox

Last edited by redfox on 15-Oct-2011 at 05:06 PM.

sundown 
Posted on 15-Oct-2011 20:08:26
#20 ]
Elite Member

@redfox & OldFart

After update 3, I had 1 issue with a program in user-startup that used run >NIL: that failed. I was told by ssolie the safe & proper way now is to put the star in front. As far as the network command line, no problems either way for me as well, but if a developer says things are changing, I listen.

@OldFart

Quote:
because since a long time, read: years, I have this experience of the system locking up solid every now and then, up to 5 times or more in one hour!

My notebook entry, "set vcore @1.34V on 8/24/06, fix copy lockup problem. Systemis very stable."

And still is to this day, only bad apps kill me now. I started out putting vcore down one step at a time till it became stable. I have put it back to 1.44V after going to 4.1.3, but it crashes just as bad, so back to 1.34V. I've always felt that a lot of the micros had issues because of vcore, but ppl are afraid to try it in case they lose the cpu. I think with the 750, going to high is the only danger. I will admit, it took me a year of unstability before I got the guts to change vcore, but I can say it's the best thing I've ever done to make it work well.

As far as usb, go into kicklayout & comment out all the unused ide drivers & you can turn on all 4 usb ports & boot.

@all

If your micro is stable, don't change anything...

Last edited by sundown on 15-Oct-2011 at 08:15 PM.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle