Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
24 crawler(s) on-line.
 132 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 AndreasM:  8 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  33 mins ago
 Hypex:  41 mins ago
 kolla:  50 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 saimo:  1 hr 51 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 10 mins ago
 OldFart:  2 hrs 10 mins ago
 _ThEcRoW:  2 hrs 29 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  2 hrs 57 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  WooHoooo! AmigaOne X1000 to ship by years end!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
PosterThread
sundown 
Re: WooHoooo! AmigaOne X1000 to ship by years end!
Posted on 15-Aug-2012 6:02:56
#201 ]
Elite Member

@RodTerl

Quote:
Just dont forget. Dont go back for the cat.

But I love cats!

Profile     Report this post  
vox 
Posted on 15-Aug-2012 6:16:33
#202 ]
Elite Member

@amigakit

Quote:
@vox Thanks for your kind words of encouragement.

Everytime. And you will have some orders from Serbia in the future,
what prevents me now are high import custom rates that will completely fall in early 2014, so paying not only postage and packing, but 30-50% additionaly is what prevents I now and turns I to local Amiga (Trotters) market.

@realize

Everyone would love to see X1000 everywhere, but producing such rare board doesn`t seem to work that way. And it would be proper to adress A-EON and Varisys, not AmiKit for the real answers. However, it is said that after this 2nd batch there will be no need to prepay at least, which is good news.

amigadave 
Posted on 15-Aug-2012 7:09:31
#203 ]

@realize

Quote:

realize wrote:
Its been 3 years now, and there Still people from the first batch of orders who dont have one?? Not good for building a new base of users. Or even sustaining the old base imo.

So lets move fwd, get the second batch out and lets have some systems in Stock please

(btw no i'm not in the market to buy one as i have the second best platform for os4 - a Peg2 oh the irony)

Where is your "Link to Source" for any of the buyers from the first batch who have not received their X1000?

Since many people from the second production run have already received their X1000's, it is hard to believe that any of the buyers from the first production run don't have their X1000 by now.

Also, I don't believe that anyone was able to order an X1000 3 years ago, so your above statement is very misleading.

If there is one thing this community does NOT need, that is more rumors.

@Trevor,

Very sorry to read that the cost of the PA Semi PA6T has doubled for the second production run. That is really unfortunate, and a damn shame that you had to absorb that extra cost yourself. I hope that your next AmigaOne design is not too far away from being ready for testing, or hopefully is already in the testing and porting of OS4.x phase, so it can come to market sooner and replace the X1000 as the OS4.x computer of choice, for most potential buyers of a new OS4.x computer.

See you in a couple of months at the AmiWest Show.

recedent 
Posted on 15-Aug-2012 8:28:07
#204 ]

@TrevorDick

Wait a minute... The cost of PA6T CPU (as mentioned in an earlier interview) was $500. Now it's ~100% higher, so it would be... about... $1000?! Them suppliers have some nerve...

realize 
Posted on 15-Aug-2012 8:40:10
#205 ]

@amigadave

Well its just from memory following threads like this. Denil I thought has been waiting since the first round.. but whatever. The point was to be a positive message to Trevor to encourage further open and realistic communication to the base. I think its amazing there is nice demand for x1000 and I promise you once the second batch is out other users will see this thing in action and want one. Now, this means there needs to some in stock ready to ship. Even 5 units in stock is not unreasonable. This is important and has ALWAYS been a probem with NG Amiga boards. Pegasos 1 and 2, Amiga 1 xe, x1000 there are never enough systems available for sale and in stock.

I will be attending Amiwest this year after all :)

KimmoK 
Posted on 15-Aug-2012 9:10:42
#206 ]
Elite Member

@TrevorDick

I hope the next motherboard design/testing is proceeding well, because we need more affordable high end (for me, for example).

Do you think it would be sane to do some kind of survey of what people would like to see on the next X machine?
Also, is there any plan to arrange bigger production run(s) (more+faster) in the future?
Any search ongoing to arrange more financing for bigger run?

(example: some of us might be able to participate in such event, putting some money into extra HW units, just to get them produced, without mandatory need of to get all boards/units to oneself. As it seems that interest rates are very low, I could consider putting my money on something without big hope of interest income. Surely it should be managed so that real loss is not done or that it's risk is minimal. ((amigainvestorpool.com)))

Thank you so far, for keeping the party going!!!

- Kimmo

Last edited by KimmoK on 15-Aug-2012 at 09:18 AM.
Last edited by KimmoK on 15-Aug-2012 at 09:17 AM.
Last edited by KimmoK on 15-Aug-2012 at 09:15 AM.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

OldFart 
Posted on 15-Aug-2012 9:32:58
#207 ]
Elite Member
From: Stad; en d'r is moar ain stad en da's Stad. Makkelk zat!

@thinkchip

Quote:
Just wondering how many production runs there have been. Trevor mentioned an "extended" production run and the "second" production run. I guess they're not the same thing.
Oh, there has been a 'prolonged' one, a 'planned' one, an 'estimated' one, a 'foreseen' one, a 'preproduction' one, an 'envisaged' one, a 'forgotten' one, a 'skipped' one, a 'well before X-mas' one, a 'replicated' one, a 'hoped for' one, a 'real' one and, as you correctly guessed, they're not the same thing! And most of these runs came from forum visitors (' minds).

OldFart

Kronos 
Posted on 15-Aug-2012 10:05:40
#208 ]
Elite Member

@recedent

Huh ? Why ??

It is a long discontinued chip only made in very limited numbers.

For years there has been low supplies with no demand.

Now it's even lower supplies with some demand.

Simple math...

Creating a "new" product on such a chip requires "some nerve".

Doing it without securing a sufficent supply of chips (at a set price) .......

OlafS25 
Posted on 15-Aug-2012 10:18:40
#209 ]
Elite Member

@recedent

it has nothing to do with that. I had some time to do with producers of matrix printer because of the need of a customer. There are still some producer and the prices are higher than the prices for modern printer. That is crazy but having some need and low supply means high prices. Normally competiton steps in and prices fall but this does not happen when you want to use exotic components. So it are simply market rules. Normally when you produce something longterm you negotiate fixed conditions in your contract (if possible) but not with these low sales.

OlafS25 
Posted on 15-Aug-2012 10:23:57
#210 ]
Elite Member

@Kronos

"Creating a "new" product on such a chip requires "some nerve"."

It was/is the best chip for PPC available and X1000 should be the fastest system for AOS. If it is the price worth must everybody decide for himself/herself

"Doing it without securing a sufficent supply of chips (at a set price) ......."

No supplier does that for someone only ordering such small numbers. If Trevor had guaranteed thousands of sales that would be a different thing... but it is simply not realistic

There are officially only a limited number available so end of game. From a price view it would be better to choose something for the next system that is "a little longer" in production

Jupp3 
Posted on 15-Aug-2012 10:35:15
#211 ]

@RodTerl

Quote:
Dont forget, the only other hand built hardened PPC based computer you can get that could run AOS4, is from BAE systems, costs $200 Thousand, and is used to run radiation hardened spacecraft.

Hey, that has probably even LOWER production batches than X1000!

Kronos 
Posted on 15-Aug-2012 10:38:43
#212 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Well till now I've allways though that the whole X1000-thing came into this shape cos Varisys themself still had plenty P6T lying around (from a canceled military contract or such).

Was/is the P6T the best option ? Dunno, sofar it seems it's just an overhyped G4 with it's strong points (Dualcore, low power) laying waste in the current product.

In the end I was replying to the notion that the suppliers were doing somthing bad when the adjust their prices to the newly found demand.

OlafS25 
Posted on 15-Aug-2012 10:54:40
#213 ]
Elite Member

@Kronos

It is not my choice and even when i had enough money I would not create any PPC system. But Trevor is a true Amiga-Fan (i think he uses all what is available) and expecially he is a OS4 fan. He took the risk and people were willing to spend the money. It is honorable that he does not rise the price (he could have and most amigans that have preordered would have accepted it). Nobody is forced to buy so it is nothing emotional for me. I have my known views regarding PPC in general but everybody can decide.

Last edited by OlafS25 on 15-Aug-2012 at 11:06 AM.

recedent 
Posted on 15-Aug-2012 11:42:41
#214 ]

@Kronos

I was under the same impression. I thought that Varisys has aplenty of PA6T's secured and the whole X1000 thing is a good way to get rid of ageing processors anyway. Now it seems that yet another X1000 batch is next to impossible (unless someone decides to pay even more ridiculous price for it). Sad.

jorkany 
Posted on 15-Aug-2012 12:48:40
#215 ]
Cult Member

@amigadave

Quote:
Where is your "Link to Source" for any of the buyers from the first batch who have not received their X1000?

Since many people from the second production run have already received their X1000's

No-one has received units from the second production run. Therefore units currently being shipped are from the first run. Or do you consider the "beta" to be the first run?

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=34437&forum=2&start=180&viewmode=flat&order=0#676774

tommysammy 
Posted on 15-Aug-2012 15:01:23
#216 ]
Cult Member

@Trevor
Do i understand right that the CPU from the second batch now cost 1000USD ?
Then better don^t produce any X1000 again

mailman 
Posted on 15-Aug-2012 15:13:32
#217 ]

@recedent

And think about some malfunctions of already existing boards. Something that'll be unrepairable has to be replaced but there is nothing to replace it with.

OlafS25 
Posted on 15-Aug-2012 15:39:32
#218 ]
Elite Member

@tommysammy

+1

From a economic standpoint this makes no sense anymore. Obviously there are people that want to earn a "golden nose" with it. I think everyone would understand the decision.

tommysammy 
Posted on 15-Aug-2012 15:45:43
#219 ]
Cult Member

@OlafS25

http://amigatronics.wordpress.com/2011/04/08/exclusive-to-amigatronics-28-questions-and-28-answers-with-trevor-dickinson-a-eon/

From 2009 the CPU cost 500USD

tommysammy 
Posted on 15-Aug-2012 16:09:33
#220 ]
Cult Member

When the CPU now really cost 1000USD then i will sell all my Amigastuff and i don^t want be anymore a betatester.
I think PPC is then megadeath for me

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle