Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
19 crawler(s) on-line.
 131 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kolla:  8 mins ago
 OlafS25:  40 mins ago
 edwardsjethro:  1 hr ago
 joeyunderwood:  1 hr 1 min ago
 Sikharubel:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  1 hr 27 mins ago
 MagicSN:  1 hr 55 mins ago
 Gunnar:  2 hrs 2 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 13 mins ago
 retrofaza:  2 hrs 36 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  What is the career background of Amiga users?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
PosterThread
OldAmigan 
Re: What is the career background of Amiga users?
Posted on 23-Jul-2017 21:21:06
#121 ]
Cult Member

@A500

I'm ex military, electrics/electronics background. I've been working mainly as a factory maintenance electrician since I came out but now teach and assess electricians.

Bought my son an Amiga 600 one Christmas and we were both keen. He eventually decided on the PC and I kept the Amiga.

He's now an IT tech for our local schools department

AmigaOne and OS4.1
Mac LCII, G4 Powermac running OSX + Amigakit and MorphOS 3.0
Dell Mini 10 Netbook running IcAros and AmigaForever+Amikit+AmigaSys
2006 Macb

Profile     Report this post  
JimS 
Posted on 23-Jul-2017 21:26:44
#122 ]

@A500

Started out as a mainframe field engineer on the "big iron" back in the 70s. I worked in an Amiga store in the early 90s. Then became an AIX system admin. Now I'm retired.

Paul 
Posted on 24-Jul-2017 2:36:17
#123 ]
Cult Member

@WolfpackN64

Quote:
Just curious. Is your church part of any larger denomination or does it stand alone for the most part?

We're a part of the Evangelical Lutheran Synod (ELS), a small group based in Minnesota with some worldwide ties.

Paul

resle 
Posted on 24-Jul-2017 3:49:28
#124 ]
Cult Member

Last edited by resle on 24-Jul-2017 at 06:46 AM.

WolfpackN64 
Posted on 24-Jul-2017 7:13:35
#125 ]

@Paul

Thanks. I'm a catholic myself, but I'm always curious to what denominations people belong.

Deniil715 
Posted on 24-Jul-2017 8:20:00
#126 ]
Elite Member

@A500

Electrik/electronik basic edication and computer engineering.

Working as a Systems Developer now for Loxysoft, developing call center solutions.

Previously worked on a small firm making mobilel phone suites for feature phones. Got bought by giant Nokia, released Nokia Asha 501, then got bought by M$. Then M$ cancelled all of Nokia Mobile Phones and fired 18000 people And here I am, at Loxysoft now

mcbone 
Posted on 24-Jul-2017 8:33:34
#127 ]
Cult Member

@A500

a boring work ?Warehouse operator. for a big company

Last edited by mcbone on 24-Jul-2017 at 08:35 AM.
Last edited by mcbone on 24-Jul-2017 at 08:34 AM.

An Apple a day keep bill gates away

mcbone 
Posted on 24-Jul-2017 8:34:59
#128 ]
Cult Member

@Kicko

no kicke you not only one who at a a boring work ?Warehouse operator. for a big company

Last edited by mcbone on 24-Jul-2017 at 08:35 AM.

An Apple a day keep bill gates away

Signman 
Posted on 24-Jul-2017 12:53:23
#129 ]

@JimS
Murrays Auto logo, right?

JimS 
Posted on 24-Jul-2017 16:49:59
#130 ]

@Signman

Quote:

Signman wrote:
Murrays Auto logo, right?

Yes, indeed.

iggy 
Posted on 24-Jul-2017 17:45:23
#131 ]

@WolfpackN64

Quote:
...I'm a catholic myself...

Most of my relatives have converted to Catholicism themselves, but its curious that most Catholics aren't aware that Protestant perform two of the Catholic sacraments in their churches as well.
They don't perform the other five (as they don't recognize them as valid), or worship saints, defer to the Pope in Rome, or necessarily believe that there needs to be only one approach to Christianity.

But hey, its still all based on the same documents, originally approved by the church in Rome.

Personally, I'm just enough of a pagan to even review those with a critical eye.

Signman 
Posted on 25-Jul-2017 0:59:49
#132 ]

Last edited by Signman on 25-Jul-2017 at 02:35 AM.

Signman 
Posted on 25-Jul-2017 2:34:56
#133 ]

Last edited by Signman on 25-Jul-2017 at 02:35 AM.

simplex 
Posted on 25-Jul-2017 6:53:38
#134 ]
Cult Member

@A500

Quote:
I am curious of what career types make up the user community.
University professor of mathematics, who publishes the occasional research paper (roughly 1 per year) and does a lot of Python/C++ programming to support that research.

I learned C on the Amiga, as well as the (civilized) language Modula-2, which grew up and turned into Java. One of my first Modula-2 programs for the Amiga was a "Big Calculator" where I first experimented with symbolic computation (arbitrary size integers in this case) and that's the research field I'm in. I'm actually in Germany at the moment for the ISSAC conference.

For "fun" I've started to develop educational android apps.

I once sat at a dinner with some other mathematicians who were roughly my age and it was surprising how many of us started on a home computer in the 80s. Back then I wasn't very competent in programming -- actually, I'm not terribly competent now either, but the tools are better & the documentation is widely diffused. You can't imagine how much easier things are now that you don't have to pay hundreds of dollars for a compiler, even more for half-decent documentation, and let's not even get into the question of half-working debuggers. These days gdb will even handle multithreaded debugging fairly easily.

We live in a magical world & don't appreciate it!

WolfpackN64 
Posted on 25-Jul-2017 7:34:05
#135 ]

@iggy

I'm aware of that. Fortunately, my lessons religion were extensive enough to cover the differences and points of convergence between christian denominations.

But hey, I'm all for ecumenical relations between churches. Maybe the Amiga world could use some convergence as well

simplex 
Posted on 25-Jul-2017 7:36:33
#136 ]
Cult Member

@iggy

Let me preface that I am a Catholic, and a convert from Protestantism.

Quote:
its curious that most Catholics aren't aware that Protestant perform two of the Catholic sacraments in their churches as well.

"Most" Catholics probably couldn't name their own sacraments, and if most Catholics realize they have more than one sacrament for regular use, they haven't acted like it for some decades. I won't go into it further, but most Catholics should understand what I mean, and if they don't just PM me.

On the other hand, Protestantism is by no means monolithic. Some have only two, some have three (at least Lutherans). I once lived in an area that was heavy in German Baptist Brethren and one of them told me that they consider the washing of feet to be a sacrament, which is the first time I ever heard of that.

Added in edit: To be fair to the Catholics you mention, though, even the Protestants who acknowledge two/three sacraments don't actually view them the same way. There is a fundamental difference in sacramental theology between the two, even as to what a sacrament is. Because of this, one can make a perfectly good argument that most Protestants don't actually celebrate any of the Catholic sacraments.

Quote:
But hey, its still all based on the same documents, originally approved by the church in Rome.

Almost, but not quite.

The New Testament canon was settled early, being more pertinent to the question of "who is Christ?"

But the Old Testament wasn't "officially" settled in the Western Church until the Reformation, so the Catholic OT has books you won't usually find in Protestant OT's (Judith, 1 & 2 Maccabees, Sirach, Wisdom, plus another one or two I think). Catholics basically retained what they'd inherited from a Greek translation of the Hebrew bible called the Septuagint, which was in wide use among Greek-speaking Jews at the time of Christ, from whom the first Christians outside Palestine came. (I'm not sure whether Catholics were aware of the Septuagint at the time; I think they just declared what they had as canon.)

Once Protestants settled on an Old Testament canon, they opted for the canon in wide use by Jews at the time of the Reformation and since then, called the Masoretic text I believe. (Plus, some Septuagint texts supported Catholic practices they opposed.) Some Reformers actually suggested jettisoning some New Testament books, too, e.g., James and Revelation, but it didn't take.

Then there's the question of councils which clarified certain issues. On these, many Protestants accept the first seven, while others don't.

Last edited by simplex on 25-Jul-2017 at 07:41 AM.
Last edited by simplex on 25-Jul-2017 at 07:39 AM.

simplex 
Posted on 25-Jul-2017 7:48:36
#137 ]
Cult Member

@iggy

Quote:
In to '80s I was the manager of a small firm called Delmar Company that marketed 68000 and 68020 based systems running Microware's OS9 operating system. We'd also ported a Xwindows based gui called Gwindows to those systems.

My father is an electronics engineer and adored the 6809 CPU, so he naturally snapped up a TRS-80 CoCo and eventually bought OS-9 for it. That was the first "real" OS I tried to work with. I later bought a CoCo III and OS-9 Level II, and worked with it... eh, a little.

So I remember your company's ads in Rainbow magazine. I don't remember which systems you were advertising, I just remember that once Tandy officially abandoned the CoCo there were several groups trying to pick up the pieces & run with them & I think your company was one, along with Frank Hogg & the guy with the MMC/1.

(You may have to correct me on some of these things: it's been 30 years, after all. But I distinctly remember your ads from somewhere.)

tlosm 
Posted on 25-Jul-2017 8:12:21
#138 ]
Elite Member

About me,
first of all i love tecnology as computers/servers and console.
Now i work in a bank where im a project menager plus i develop in Php + Mysql.
Before this job i had my own company where i was iso/vision certified in developing web applications, and servers and networks for pubblic administrations and private company.

MacBook Pro Retina I7 2.3ghz;
#nomorea-eoninmyhome

erwin-k 
Posted on 25-Jul-2017 18:30:37
#139 ]

Hi All,

Just found this thread, for the first time. An interesting read.

I am now retired both on the civilian and military side of things. At my last job, for a U.S. government agency, I used Amiga computers to make a large part of my living.

I started out with an A2000 with three megs of ram, a Paint-Jet printer, and a Super-Gen genlock. I did video graphics, VHS cassette labels, banners, and many other graphics. This went on for over 15 years. When I retired I was still generating some stuff with Lightwave and sneaker-neting the images to a PC for use with Photo-Impact.

There was a lot more to the job than just graphics, but I truly loved getting to play with my favorite toys.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle