Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
20 crawler(s) on-line.
 156 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Gunnar

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  4 mins ago
 zipper:  24 mins ago
 Templario:  30 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  43 mins ago
 RobertB:  49 mins ago
 GPTNederlands:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 janelancy:  1 hr 6 mins ago
 -Sam-:  1 hr 14 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 57 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 58 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Software
      /  Looking For Workbench v1.3.............
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
blankcrows 
Looking For Workbench v1.3.............
Posted on 1-Dec-2011 6:58:20
#1 ]

(Maybe this belongs in the hardware section, but I'll try here first.)

I recently purchased an old Amiga 500, but it did not come with a Workbench disk to boot it with. Looks like it is in brand new condition, so I hope it will work. Can someone point me to a site where I can download a reliable copy of Workbench v1.3?

Last edited by blankcrows on 01-Dec-2011 at 07:02 AM.
Last edited by blankcrows on 01-Dec-2011 at 07:00 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
Cool_amigaN 
Re: Looking For Workbench v1.3.............
Posted on 1-Dec-2011 8:20:49
#2 ]

@blankcrows

Workbench 1.3 is copyrighted. You can obtain a legal copy from AmigaForever package which is sold by most Amiga shops (e.g. AmigaKit, Vessalia etc). The copy will come in ADF. Disk copies of 1.3 aren't sold anymore (perhaps you can find some on eBay). Of course, you can always check tpb for a free and illegal download. Software is well over 23 years old, having that in mind, you can decide for yourself what to do.

Last edited by Cool_amigaN on 01-Dec-2011 at 08:22 AM.

Shufflepuck 
Posted on 1-Dec-2011 8:57:56
#3 ]
Cult Member

@blankcrows

eBay is your friend

http://goo.gl/PbkqL

Cheers,
Shufflepuck

amigadave 
Posted on 1-Dec-2011 8:59:13
#4 ]

Before someone jumps into this thread and starts ranting about how Workbench, or any other part of AmigaOS1.x to 3.x should be free and open sourced by now, and worse, starts ranting about how you can't buy it anywhere any more and that the copies inside the AmigaForever are not authorized for use in Real Amiga 68k computers, please stop before you start.

We don't need to go through all of that whining and ranting again. It serves NO PURPOSE!

Franko 
Posted on 1-Dec-2011 12:27:31
#5 ]
Elite Member

@blankcrows

Like Shufflepuck says eBay is a good place to find someone selling Workbench 1.3 or just do a quick google for it I'm sure you will find it somewhere where someone is either selling it or willing to even give it away fro free...

I wouldn't worry about the copyright mafia ranting & whining again, it's not owned by them and what you do is your business...

m0lebrain 
Posted on 1-Dec-2011 14:46:49
#6 ]

Bah! Buy the disks from Ebay...there is something to be said about booting up real hardware with the "orginial equipment" boot disks! :)

Franko 
Posted on 1-Dec-2011 14:49:44
#7 ]
Elite Member

@blankcrows

Here's a couple of Workbench 1.3 disks available on eBay today...

Workbench 1.3 including A500 manuals...

Workbench 1.3...

Bamiga2002 
Posted on 1-Dec-2011 15:37:12
#8 ]

@Franko
This reminds me of a WB 1.3 thread on a.org ;)

Franko 
Posted on 1-Dec-2011 15:43:33
#9 ]
Elite Member

@Bamiga2002

Quote:

Bamiga2002 wrote:
@Franko
This reminds me of a WB 1.3 thread on a.org ;)

I had noticed that myself, just as I had noticed a certain poster here trying to have his usual wee dig at me about it...

I have to laugh at how some members seem to think that have the right to tell others what they can and can't post about based on their own highly biased opinions and think everyone else should do & say what they think is right...

blankcrows 
Posted on 1-Dec-2011 16:14:45
#10 ]

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I didn't know the old software was still protected. That Ebay listing for the disks and manuals is tempting, and I don't mind paying for original Workbench disks , but until I find out if the computer works or not I'm not going to spend a bunch of money on all that stuff just to test the hardware.

I'll have to keep my eyes open for a inexpensive Workbench disk to see if the computer works. If it does, then I can worry about getting some manuals for it as I don't have any of those either.

Was any other software originally packaged with the A500? I might have to look for that as well.

I see there are some listings for original Workbench 2.05 software. Will those work in this computer? when powered up the screen wants the v1.3 disk.

Last edited by blankcrows on 01-Dec-2011 at 04:23 PM.

bison 
Posted on 1-Dec-2011 16:24:29
#11 ]
Elite Member

@blankcrows

I got mine from Cloanto. The price is reasonable if you buy the "value edition" of AmigaForever, and you can download the disc image without waiting to have it shipped to you.

Tomas 
Posted on 1-Dec-2011 16:31:05
#12 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave
The a500 included a license for 1.2/1.3, so in some countries it is still technically legal to download a copy.

Niolator 
Posted on 1-Dec-2011 16:32:47
#13 ]

@blankcrows

The picture on the screen says it needs the Workbench disk but you can use any game to test if it works. The Amiga should start to load from the game disk just fine, you don´t need the Workbench disk to start games and most programs. The fact that it shows the disk logo is a good sign.

I assume you don´t have any game disks either but they are maybe easier to get a hold of?

Franko 
Posted on 1-Dec-2011 16:48:56
#14 ]
Elite Member

@blankcrows

Quote:

blankcrows wrote:

I see there are some listings for original Workbench 2.05 software. Will those work in this computer? when powered up the screen wants the v1.3 disk.

You really need the Kickstart 2.0 or above ROM for this to run...

If you can't find a Workbench 1.3 disk set for sale right now, then just google for it, you will find plenty of sites where you can obtain it one way or the other for now until you can purchase an original set...

nbache 
Posted on 1-Dec-2011 21:47:03
#15 ]

@blankcrows

Quote:

blankcrows wrote:

If the start screen says 1.3, then that's the version of the Kickstart ROM in the machine, probably the original one. You cannot run a 2.0 Workbench on that, you do need 1.3 disks.

But you can try to find an upgrade kit with 2.0 ROM chip and disks, then you can run 2.0 fine on the A500 - or even later upgrade it to 2.1 (which was a software only upgrade).

Actually, IIRC, you could also upgrade it to 3.1 by changing the Kickstart ROM to a 3.1 one and installing WB 3.1, couldn't you? I may remember this wrong, it's been many years since I last turned my A500 on. But I'm sure it ran at least 2.1 at the end.

Note, though, that any such upgrade kit needs to be specifically for the A500, as the ROM chips from other models won't fit.

Best regards,

Niels

vox 
Posted on 1-Dec-2011 21:58:13
#16 ]
Elite Member

@blankcrows

Quickest way to get them is as ADF files (but not most legal, as you should have the original copy of those to have ADFs. But since you have A500 you should have them ...)

Type " Workbench 1.3 ADF" on Google and you will figure it out.

But a bit more tricky part is to write ADF back to real Amiga floppy. You will need those Amiga DD disks or cable connection and Hombre
http://wiki.abime.net/file_transfer/hombre

Or buy great AmigaForever package and get ADF files there beside lot more featured in Amiga Forever 2011.

If you want the real disks with manual, eBay is the only solution.

Franko 
Posted on 1-Dec-2011 21:58:52
#17 ]
Elite Member

@nbache

Quote:

nbache wrote:
@blankcrows

Actually, IIRC, you could also upgrade it to 3.1 by changing the Kickstart ROM to a 3.1 one and installing WB 3.1, couldn't you? I may remember this wrong, it's been many years since I last turned my A500 on. But I'm sure it ran at least 2.1 at the end.

Note, though, that any such upgrade kit needs to be specifically for the A500, as the ROM chips from other models won't fit.

Best regards,

Niels

Been so long since I owned an A500 but I think it only had space for one ROM chip, 3.0 & 3.1 consist of two ROM chips...

Plus if you installed WB 3.1 on an A500 there could be a lot of problems as the libraries etc... would be looking for AGA stuff in some cases and an 020 processor...

Mind you it wouldn't surprise me if someone somewhere had come up with a solution to this...

A500 
Posted on 1-Dec-2011 23:04:27
#18 ]

@blankcrows

Check for a local user group as they are very helpful.

Bamiga2002 
Posted on 2-Dec-2011 13:03:38
#19 ]

@vox
Good 'ol DOS-2-DOS will do the trick coupled with TransDisk. Compress (with LHA)
and copy coompressed ADF to DD-disk on PC, use DOS-2-DOS to make Amiga recognise PC floppy, uncompress the LHA-archive to RAM: and use TransDisk to write it to a Amiga DD floppy.

Last edited by Bamiga2002 on 02-Dec-2011 at 01:04 PM.

vox 
Posted on 2-Dec-2011 13:16:38
#20 ]
Elite Member

@Franko

Quote:
Been so long since I owned an A500 but I think it only had space for one ROM chip, 3.0 & 3.1 consist of two ROM chips... Plus if you installed WB 3.1 on an A500 there could be a lot of problems as the libraries etc... would be looking for AGA stuff in some cases and an 020 processor... Mind you it wouldn't surprise me if someone somewhere had come up with a solution to this...

Should just answer the man`s question

To best of my knowledge, you are right about ROM chips: only upgrade for A500 was Fat Agnus. But you are about to be wrong with 68020/AGA requirements of OS 3.1: its pure 68 000 code and can be run in OCS/ECS modes (as it on inital boot up doesn`t use AGA). Well demonstrated by using OS 3.1 on Minimig.

@Bamiga2002

Quote:
Good 'ol DOS-2-DOS will do the trick coupled with TransDisk. Compress (with LHA) and copy coompressed ADF to DD-disk on PC, use DOS-2-DOS to make Amiga recognise PC floppy, uncompress the LHA-archive to RAM: and use TransDisk to write it to a Amiga DD floppy.

You are right, my friend. Thanks. That is the easiest way.

However, don`t forget A500 comes with 0,5MB unexpanded and man has no Workbench or DOS2DOS / CrossDOS disks so we need to provide him with disk2disk writting that doesn`t use RAM: disk. Almost there. But Hombre serves the purpose.

Generaly, he can get WB 1.3 ADFs with ease.

Follow this instructions once you copy ADFs to PC disk (hope you have floppy on PC. Take disks and cover the holes on upper ends with cell tape. Format it on PC as 720K floppy).

Tricky part can be floppy sizes, if he zipp 880K ADF and its more then 720K transfer is impossible, unless he gets HD external floppy for Amiga (expensive toy back at the days)

Maye eBay after all

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle