Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
18 crawler(s) on-line.
 165 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  5 mins ago
 Hypex:  14 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  32 mins ago
 saimo:  41 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr ago
 OldFart:  1 hr ago
 _ThEcRoW:  1 hr 20 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 47 mins ago
 retrofaza:  1 hr 48 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 49 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Inc. offshoot
      /  Why this is a derogatory and insulting forum name
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
damocles 
Re: Why this is a derogatory and insulting forum name
Posted on 19-Dec-2011 20:42:13
#21 ]

@Darrin

Quote:
Oh, and what the hell is this obsession you have with taking a Linux PC and slapping an Amiga sticker on it? As far as I can see, it is your misuse of the Amiga name that is causing a lot of the issues.

Such anger, tsk tsk tsk.

Profile     Report this post  
BigBentheAussie 
Posted on 19-Dec-2011 20:42:16
#22 ]

@Darrin

Wait for our AW news item to come up.

An no, this isn't the big announcement we were alluding to on C-A.org.

Last edited by BigBentheAussie on 19-Dec-2011 at 08:43 PM.

vox 
Posted on 19-Dec-2011 21:01:17
#23 ]
Elite Member

@BigBentheAussie

Quote:
I contend, that Hyperion and therefore OS4 are Amiga Inc licensees just as Commodore USA are, essentially making them "Amiga Inc offshoots". Amiga Inc has absolutely nothing to do with Commodore USA or its running, except a document signed in the latter part of last year. If anything Hyperion has had more constant dealings with them than we have.

This was absolutely unnecessary. Contrary, after the court case, Hyperion doesn`t have anything anymore to do with Amiga Inc, while you are licencee that probably bring some unknown to us revenue to Amiga Inc.

Quote:
This is hardly a dedicated CUSA forum, as was discussed in an earlier post.

No, its free for all forum. You already have "Commodore" "Amiga" forum where you don`t allow mentioning other Amiga flavors, while you are allowed here. See any injustice in your own practice incl. facebook and you tube?

Sound like "Boy that cried wolf" after joking everybody

vox 
Posted on 19-Dec-2011 21:06:00
#24 ]
Elite Member

@BigBentheAussie

Quote:
Wait for our AW news item to come up. An no, this isn't the big announcement we were alluding to on C-A.org.

Oh no, not another news announcement?

@moderators @tomazkid

What about rule that they can post actual product launch news and only if it bears name Amiga? Even that is minimum of "resemblance" and doesn`t mean they are in way connected to this community other that Aussie is quiet decent Classic user that used to be part of it and exec is also an old user that has turned to "CUSA promo side".
Damocles, Digitex and few other accounts seems to be merely created for CUSA promo.

As product promotion non related that is merely breaking the TOS

Darrin 
Posted on 19-Dec-2011 21:36:19
#25 ]
Team Member

@BigBentheAussie

OK, I'll be waiting. Hopefully we'll all see it as good news.

Meanwhile, look back one post before yours and try and keep your pet troll Dammy on a lead. He isn't doing you any favours.

zerohero 
Posted on 19-Dec-2011 22:07:56
#26 ]
Team Member

@vox

Quote:
As product promotion non related that is merely breaking the TOS

You are constantly breaking ToS with this. Staff has repeatedly said Commodore USA are allowed to post on these forums, especially in their own forum which is even hidden from the front page. Yet you had to go there and post this? Stop questioning our decisions in public. This will be my final warning to you on this. Next time you will be restricted.

Regards,
Joachim Birging

AmigaWorld.Net staff

vox 
Posted on 19-Dec-2011 22:22:57
#27 ]
Elite Member

@zerohero

Quote:
You are constantly breaking ToS with this.

OK, moderators decisiion`s shall not be discussed publicly (beside BigAussie boy)

Beside that, what is your opinion of 14 point big news? Is that a news?

zerohero 
Posted on 19-Dec-2011 22:24:36
#28 ]
Team Member

@vox

I approved the news item. I wouldn't have if I didn't think it was relevant.

eliyahu 
Posted on 19-Dec-2011 22:45:10
#29 ]

@BigBentheAussie

the 'final challenge' you posted was a nice gesture. i don't think people are going to respond constructively, but, hey, at least you tried.

-- eliyahu

Franko 
Posted on 20-Dec-2011 10:09:17
#30 ]
Elite Member

@BigBentheAussie

Quote:

BigBentheAussie wrote:
@Darrin

Wait for our AW news item to come up.

An no, this isn't the big announcement we were alluding to on C-A.org.

More vague comments & statements...

All this whinging & whining and what for !!!

It's not as if CUSA actually make or sell Amiga products. For about 18 months now all we have ever had from CUSA are some very vague statements and not one solid bit of real information on anything you may be doing that could be called Amiga related...

Simple fact is, this is an Amiga site for all flavours of the system and CUSA at present has got nothing to do with the Amiga other than buying a licence to use the Amiga name...

Why not come back when you have something factual & detailed to say about CUSA Amiga products instead of months & months of vague comments & statements which amounts to nothing more than hot air... :)

Nimrod 
Posted on 20-Dec-2011 13:14:12
#31 ]

@BigBentheAussie

Quote:
If there wasn't the potential for any future positive (and sane) discussion I wouldn't be fighting so hard for a voice right now. I truly believe this could be in everyone's best interests.
I fail to see any potential for you in this discussion, after all, it has been made blatantly clear that we are too few in number to be of any relevance to your mighty, multinational megacorporation, with its 100K sales to retail chains. We know that we are not wanted, what CommodeUSA fail to realise is that the feeling is now mutual.

Quote:
I think he's just a little shell-shocked at all the attacks, and being new to forums, let alone the Amiga community, just can't seem to resist troll bait.

Let's just take this in bite sized chunks, shall we?
"I think he's just a little shell-shocked at all the attacks" Yes, I looked back at some of the attacks, like this, or this. Barry has frequently claimed that he is the only businessman in the world to receive any form of criticism, has he never heard of Steve Jobs, or Bill Gates, or even back in the day, Clive Sinclair.
"being new to forums" Even if his debut on this site was the first time he had ever seen a computer he has had over a year to learn the basics of etiquette, or at least to learn from his mistakes. Instead, having earned a posting ban for this effort, he then goes and opens a new thread like this
"just can't seem to resist troll bait." The man is supposed to be a professional businessman, not a petulant five year old. I would go further but since I do not wish Barry to comment on my sex life, I shall refrain from further comment.

damocles 
Posted on 23-Dec-2011 13:16:56
#32 ]

@tomazkid

Quote:
Now it has a forum where the only competition would be ICONTAIN or whatever else AInc. brands out?

iContain is no longer a licensee and that leaves three parties, Hyperion, Cloanto, and CommodoreUSA. So this subboard is where Hyperion and Cloanto topics can be posted?

number6 
Posted on 23-Dec-2011 14:21:29
#33 ]
Elite Member

@damocles

Quote:
iContain is no longer a licensee

Although we might have our own opinions from what we have seen transpire, your statement is based on your prior statement:

Quote:
Barry confirmed iContain no longer has a license from Amiga Inc.

source

Since the companies involved in the original licensing and statements regarding same were "Amiga Inc." and "IContain", it seems logical that only when one or both respond to the status, will it be deemed official.

Here's an example from when Amiga Inc. terminated license agreements prior:
Quote:
In 2001, Amiga, Inc. entered into a license for the development of AmigaOS 4.0 with AmigaOne® Partners, collectively Hyperion VOF and Eyetech Group Ltd. The license agreement was terminated on December 20, 2006.

source
Obviously this same factual info was confirmed by Hyperion VOF at the time.

My point here is that you are asking for a 3rd party (with their own interests at stake) to be taken as a source here over either Amiga Inc. or IContain, neither of whom has made an official statement.

damocles 
Posted on 23-Dec-2011 14:51:27
#34 ]

@number6

Quote:
My point here is that you are asking for a 3rd party (with their own interests at stake) to be taken as a source here over either Amiga Inc. or IContain, neither of whom has made an official statement.

If you don't believe it, why not ask iContain directly? If they do have a license, I'm sure they will be more then willing to talk about you purchasing Amiga products. Oh, have you actually tried to purchase Amiga products on their page? Why not try it and see how far you get.

Bugala 
Posted on 23-Dec-2011 23:30:28
#35 ]
Cult Member

@BigBentheAussie

Quote:
Quote: Have you ever thought that; before, it was general tech or free for all regarding CUSA. Yes, but that was at least on the front page. Now it's in the middle of nowhere, and I can barely find it to even post to it. It doesn't even come up in the extended thread list does it.

Quote:
Quote: Is it really for the worse? Of course it's worse. Why do you think I'm bringing it up.

Have to agree with BigBentheAussie.

I was just about to go and see whats with the CUSA offer threads, and since I didnt find them from front page or even recent postings page, being too lazy to dig them, just decided not to check them.

Had not went there at all had i not found this thread from recent postings.

DiscreetFX 
Posted on 24-Dec-2011 7:25:59
#36 ]
Elite Member

@BigBentheAussie

Was " 'Beware of the Leopard' a typo? Did you mean "Beware of the Leper"?

zeke1312 
Posted on 27-Dec-2011 5:22:55
#37 ]

@Rudei

I'm posing a question here that is in no way intended to insult anyone. Since I'm new at trying to understand the issues at hand, let me ask this. What is the difference between an original Amiga A500 or A1200 (as an example) and what's considered to be its proper operating systems to current hardware and OS that fully mimics the the original hardware and OS? I'd say it's a compliment to all real Amiga users that others are continuing the line. Another example, in a "blind test" if and original A500 and OS was set along side new hardware and OS that looked (the display output), functioned and produced the same results, what's the beef? I just don't get it? Is someone "in your sandbox" and trying to "take away your toys"? Is that it? Thank you.

Spirantho 
Posted on 27-Dec-2011 8:04:53
#38 ]

@zeke1312

We moved on from basic a1200s years ago.
By the same token you could call it a Sinclair Spectrum or a PDP8 since it can run emulators.

The problem is that we have a real Amiga machine with its own real Amiga OS, and a completely different platform pretending to be a 19 year old Amiga denigrates all the hard work that the AmigaOS 4, MorphOS and AROS guys have been doing.

How would you describe a Linux PC pretending to be an old Amiga... an Amiga or a Linux PC?

And for the record, for many people, no emulation ever feels like the real thing, just an approximation. Kind of like a really good photo of the Mona Lisa isn't the same as the real thing, even though it looks the same.

zeke1312 
Posted on 27-Dec-2011 14:45:37
#39 ]

@Spirantho Hi, please correct me if I'm wrong but the original hardware platform for any Amiga system is not available as it is out of manufacturing production and has been for some years?

If a user were to sit "blindfold" and use a machine with Linux OS with a shell that emulates an original Amgia and an "original" Amiga you could tell the difference?

How?

CritAnime 
Posted on 27-Dec-2011 15:04:27
#40 ]
Cult Member

@zeke1312

I think this is a load of crap but I will indulge you.

As good as emulation is it's still not perfect. Its hard to explain but at times it just doesn't feel right, for lack of a better word. There are times when the emulation can cause issues that the real machine simply wouldn't have. And, roles reversed, times the real machine will have issues that the enulator won't. Emulation can't account for all the different hardware variations, such as 4000 expansions, that allows it to do different things.

I am not saying emulation is wrong. It has its uses and does allow people to use software for systems they might not own. But it is still not perfect.

Admin at Commodore Gaming Wiki

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle