Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 116 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

A1200,  VooDoo

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 VooDoo:  13 secs ago
 A1200:  2 mins ago
 pixie:  15 mins ago
 retrofaza:  15 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  37 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 BigD:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 zErec:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 22 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 6 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Sponsor a programmer concept
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
Anonymous 
Sponsor a programmer concept
Posted on 27-Feb-2004 12:49:27
# ]

How about we provide A1 and AOS4 combinations to poverty stricken but talented developers/developer houses with a proven track record?

Thoughts:

1. Premium sponsorship - pay for an entire system outright to be shipped to an accredited developer. Name is cited on whatever that developer produces in thanks, and mention on support site. No guarantee of return.

2. Loaner sponsorship - pay for an entire system to be put on loan for a fixed period, developer has to report status and must return system at end of fixed period to be put out on loan for another developer.

3. Contributory sponsorship - group together to buy a system for the scheme ( paypal account ). Similar options to (1) and (2).

Report this post  
aracnet 
Re: Sponsor a programmer concept
Posted on 27-Feb-2004 13:08:48
#2 ]

@DaveP

Good idea. But how we gone select Devolopers? What will be the specs?

Also another idea lets maka an amiga foundation.

Profile     Report this post  
Step 
Posted on 27-Feb-2004 13:09:35
#3 ]
Cult Member

@DaveP

A great idea!
We should add some webspace etc aswell to the package if needed.

Mark 
Posted on 27-Feb-2004 13:49:17
#4 ]
Team Member

@DaveP

Or even a general fund with a list of projects to be worked upon perhaps?

with status reports for projects etc, general websites for info and the money can go towards things like equipment (machines) or software/hardware, etc. So if for examlpe a team wanted to port some software like OpenOffice (hint hint ) money from teh slush fund could be used to buy machines, even perhaps licences etc?

Mark

Mark 
Posted on 27-Feb-2004 13:50:38
#5 ]
Team Member

@Mark

of course credentials and status updates should be required if things are going ot be given out?

Mark

xeron 
Posted on 27-Feb-2004 13:55:22
#6 ]
Elite Member
From: Weston-Super-Mare, Somerset, England, UK, Europe, Earth, The Milky Way, The Universe

@DaveP

Good idea. I'd chip in.

Step 
Posted on 27-Feb-2004 14:14:02
#7 ]
Cult Member

Hmmm, anything in hardware where drivers are missing would be nice. Buy hardware for developer who then write the drivers and keeps the hardware kind of setup.

Coder 
Posted on 27-Feb-2004 14:27:27
#8 ]
Team Member

Hi,

How about MOL for OS4? Now that is something worth to go for.

But the sponsor concept is a very good idea!

Coder

Ryu 
Posted on 27-Feb-2004 14:38:46
#9 ]

I'd be happy to chip in to such an idea. I dont have much cash but id give what I can.

www.IntuitionBase.com - Your Guide to Amiga OS4.x and the AmigaOne
www.Bambi-Amiga.co.uk - My A1200 webserver, running 24/7/365

nzv58l 
Posted on 27-Feb-2004 14:40:50
#10 ]

@DaveP

Another idea that might be a cheaper route is to have a network solution. Where a devoloper could take control over an A1 at a remote site from another platform. We could use our current A1's while we are not busy with them and don't have to worry about a box getting trashed by careless handling. It also might be a good tool to let people on other platforms that may not even know what an Amiga is try an Amiga out.

DoodooHead 
Posted on 27-Feb-2004 15:06:45
#11 ]
Cult Member

@DaveP

The others gave out Pegs to developers who turned out not to be developers, we must avoid this. We have to identify the needy carefully.

I will support this effort financially for at least two of the Premium sponsorships.

DoodooHead

Juzz 
Posted on 27-Feb-2004 16:56:37
#12 ]

@DaveP and all

It's a good idea - I have actually thought about this since I read about it in your comment on another thread...

To identify the developers and to run the donations - launch a website about it, where developers can identify themselves and then the donators can make a vote about which developer they see most fit to receive the systems.

Thus the developers state their intended goal and preferably previous projects.

I did think about how to make that possible - but I would not start such a project up by myselves (since I don't want to be in a case where there could be speculations about my intentions - seeing as I myself am a dealer).

Step 
Posted on 27-Feb-2004 19:50:56
#13 ]
Cult Member

@DaveP

Another thing, someone should contact Eyetech and set up a deal with them to bypass the dealers for this one. The extra costs involved should be spent elsewhere, and it would not be fair to support just one dealer. Or perhaps split purchases evenly among several dealers, but that might be just too much work.

AmigaMac 
Posted on 27-Feb-2004 20:10:26
#14 ]

@DaveP

Great idea. I have been thinking of something similar to this, but it wasn't as easy as your idea. Mine would have required some financial investment.

BrianHoskins 
Posted on 27-Feb-2004 20:47:09
#15 ]
Cult Member

@DaveP

In order to make a scheme like this more workable, it might be better if a computer was allocated to a specific user group local to the programmer, rather than the programmer himself. This would make the machine the responsibility of the user group, and would therefore have much greater chance of being looked after properly since it would be governed by the User Group.

Obviously we would be talking about well established, active user groups here.

Good idea?

BrianHoskins 
Posted on 27-Feb-2004 20:59:46
#16 ]
Cult Member

Also, any potential sponsorers would undoubtedly require a list of programmers who, whilst extremely interested in A1/OS4 development, cannot afford a machine to develop on at this time. Included in the list would be the types of projects they would work on.

Sponsorers would then be in a position to put money into a type of software development that they would like to see on the Amiga, as well as sponsoring the programmer him/herself. Gives the sponsorer more of a sense that they're getting something back for their investment.

My UserGroups idea also provides protection against "bogus" programmers who would promise the world JUST to get their hands on a machine for free. Via the usergroups method, the programmer would have to be the real deal.

Brian

alx 
Posted on 27-Feb-2004 21:01:40
#17 ]

@DaveP

Like the idea a lot I'd personally go with hiring the machine rather than giving it away and there'd need to be conditions attatched (ie so much work done per time period). This would also mean that they could be shifted round to more developers, and they wouldn't get a free machine to develop for a small amount of time and then just play games on Although maybe if the developer did a certain (huge) amount of work then they could be given the machine as a reward? (Thus providing a big incentive).

@Juzz

Quote:
- launch a website about it, where developers can identify themselves and then the donators can make a vote about which developer they see most fit to receive the systems.

I made a post ages ago about how a standard CMS like XOOPS or PHPNuke would work fairly well for a similar application with very little customisation. The only problem would be getting it to the point where is was self-sustaining (there are plenty of sites, such as OpenAmiga.org, that simply never got the interest to kickstart things massively - though with AW.net behind it that should help a lot, I'd imagine).

@BrianHoskins

Quote:
it might be better if a computer was allocated to a specific user group local to the programmer, rather than the programmer himself

I guess that the developer would need to take the machine home, but even then I can see problems in areas where there are no local groups Some kind of central control is definitely needed to keep fraudsters out though.

---edit----

I've got a slightly connected idea as well. Would it be possible to put together a pack for PC devs without an A1 who still want to port stuff. It could have a load of information aimed at PC developers and a UAE environment with licensed OS3.9 and development tools including an OS4 cross-compiler. Admittantly it wouldn't be able to create apps that would take full advantage of OS4, but perhaps it would be a good stepping stone for developers, and it would be a lot cheaper than buying an A1/OS4 for every mildly interested developer

Toaks 
Posted on 27-Feb-2004 23:07:23
#18 ]
Elite Member

@davep

count me in , i will double the highest sum 1 person gives

umm hold it , maybe i shouldnt put it like that (you never know) ...

ok i will chip in with all i can give atm..

let me know!

cheers

GregS 
Posted on 27-Feb-2004 23:23:52
#19 ]

@DaveP

Wonderful idea. -- I like the idea of loaner sponorship, as perhaps being able to be applied to more developers than any of the others (no reason not to have all three though).

I know a great developer exactly in this position and eager to bring his products over to the Amiga, but cannot afford a machine. I was going to lend him mine as soon as I played with OS4 a little bit at least, then of course I would not be able to Beta test it for him and would not see my Amiga for months and months : ( .

We must do this, we must get these ideas (especially 2) to Amiga, Hyperion, Eyetech and the retailers ASAP.

In fact DaveP could you put this in the next Ask Fleecy? (especially 2 which might be set up now without too much expense).

This is is also a good time to revive the idea of a Developer's Co-op model for electronic distribution of such developers work, and a micro-payment system as well.

Great suggestion, thanks DaveP

Troels 
Posted on 27-Feb-2004 23:51:23
#20 ]
Elite Member

Count me in aswell!

I do like they suggestion that the developers could rent the machine cheap (if they are approved), that would also bring a little more money back into the project for more machines.

And we need Eyetech to sell those machines at cost price, as more available software will benefit them aswell as us

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle