Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 128 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 NutsAboutAmiga:  13 mins ago
 zipper:  13 mins ago
 clint:  49 mins ago
 RickSkid:  59 mins ago
 bhabbott:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 BigD:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 Diane:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 VooDoo:  1 hr 13 mins ago
 A1200:  1 hr 17 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 30 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  Spotify for the Amiga is a go
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )
PosterThread
OlafS25 
Re: Spotify for the Amiga is a go
Posted on 1-Aug-2014 12:41:41
#401 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

the basic problem is that the user base is too small for a commercial company to invest in it and that it is difficult to support the platform additionally. We need more cross-platform development environments and it must be easy to crosscompile if you have already a linux-version or similar. If a company has to rewrite the software to support amigs-platforms there is no chance. I was surprised that they managed to keep it alive at all and I really think that all intentions were good and honest but I think it is difficult to reach a goal. And software "lives" so it is not enough to do a one-time port, you also need updates (which somebody has to care of), you need customer support and that means experienced people in the company.

Profile     Report this post  
itix 
Posted on 1-Aug-2014 13:33:16
#402 ]
Elite Member

@guruman

Yes. AWN staff banned high profile Linux developer because he replied to A1 Linux question using his friends account. I think entire thread was deleted because of that.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 1-Aug-2014 13:57:53
#403 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

I think if there was some kind of VM (Virtual Machine) that allowed one binary for all platforms that might have helped.
680x0 binary code can do that, but its not ideal, it can run many times faster if code was not CPU specific. Then I guess get case where code runs fast, but the wrapper gets bloated and slow, who knows.

Anyway supporting AROS/MorphOS/AmigaOS4/AmigaOS3 from same source code is possible, they all have AHI, BSDScoket.Library (with some variation), Graphic.library / CyberGfx / Picasso96 or even SDL.

Yes Spotify might be ported to SDL, and that might simplest solution to this problem.

wawa 
Posted on 1-Aug-2014 14:11:47
#404 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
I think if there was some kind of VM (Virtual Machine) that allowed one binary for all platforms that might have helped.
680x0 binary code can do that, but its not ideal, it can run many times faster if code was not CPU specific.

you have java and stuff for that if this is your wish. 68k binary is factual amiga legacy but probably its rather amiga anywhere that would have been the fulfillment of your dreams. however as it did not take off, it does imply there was either not enough of technical expertise or audience for it, probably both. therefore before trying to reinvent worlds that may exist elsewhere would be better to stick to what we have as long as its enough.

OlafS25 
Posted on 1-Aug-2014 14:12:58
#405 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Yes to support all amiga-platforms from one source might be possible but companies earn their money with users on other platforms. From my point of view it has to be easy to support AmigaOS or whatever by recompiling then there might be a better chance (still the problem what doing with customer problems if you have no experience inhouse). To get commercial Applications ported is much more difficult than support for a commercial game.

Last edited by OlafS25 on 01-Aug-2014 at 02:13 PM.

Vistaus 
Posted on 1-Aug-2014 17:51:42
#406 ]

@OlafS25

If Spotify cares about user base, then why in the world are they working on a SailfishOS version of Spotify (thus rewriting it in Qt!)? SailfishOS on smartphones has even less of a user base then AmigaOS on desktop.* (even though I love SailfishOS on my Jolla phone!)

(*note that I only use 'desktop' as a differentiation so please don't argue about whether or not I used the right term to describe an Amiga).

Last edited by Vistaus on 01-Aug-2014 at 05:52 PM.

wawa 
Posted on 1-Aug-2014 20:20:39
#407 ]
Elite Member

@Vistaus

Quote:
If Spotify cares about user base, then why in the world are they working on a SailfishOS version of Spotify (thus rewriting it in Qt!)? SailfishOS on smartphones has even less of a user base then AmigaOS on desktop.* (even though I love SailfishOS on my Jolla phone!)

if they actually rewrote it for qt, then you might port it to os4 i guess. however if they do it for some sailfish os or the like, ive never heard of, while putting a single ifdef in their sources to satisfy os4 fans, its quite telling, isnt it?

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 1-Aug-2014 21:29:34
#408 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=35072&forum=32&start=300&viewmode=flat&order=0#721460

BsdSocket has been problem for AmigaOS port, they don't have lot time to work on it, it seams, but they are professionals.

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=35072&forum=32&start=300&viewmode=flat&order=0#721706

There are MorphOS/AmigaOS/AROS developers working to get this ported.

I don't expect any updates in middle of holydays, besides we know AmigaOS is not a high priority, but at least they are working on it. Maybe just for fun or to do some thing different.

_Steve_ 
Posted on 3-Aug-2014 13:12:20
#409 ]
Team Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:

Blame Xmas87, and Ben H. for not starting a new topic.
I hope the moderators clean up. And so we can continue this on topic.

Unfortunately one limitation we have is not being able to move individual posts into a new topic/thread. It is a case of all or nothing.

@thread

This thread has gone rather astray. What should have been a discussion on one piece of software has gone off in so many tangents. There have been several posts which have been flagged and will be reviewed. Some of your personal opinions of certain members should not immediately result in the mean spirited postings which have arisen in the last few pages of this thread.

If the posts continue to remain off topic this thread will be locked. Please either start a new thread topic or use an existing one (if your post relates to the same thing) rather than hijacking one like this - which then makes following the chain of information much more difficult.

They say "With age comes wisdom". Reviewing some posts these days I would have to dispute that observation. Lets keep it civil and on topic.

Yo 
Posted on 3-Aug-2014 14:48:15
#410 ]
Team Member

@thread

EVERYBODY! Go outside for a bit and get some fresh air already!

Sheeesh!

(No, I didn't type that with a straight face.)

Fairdinkem 
Posted on 4-Aug-2014 5:10:18
#411 ]
Cult Member

@ Thread

I really want Spotify on AmigaOS what can we as a community do to help make it happen?

Vistaus 
Posted on 4-Aug-2014 9:42:15
#412 ]

@Fairdinkem

My guess would be to open up a topic on the Spotify community forum referencing to the fact the team has an Amiga and that hence we would love to see Spotify for our Amiga's. Even if only the Spotify libs (which are available for Win, Mac and Linux) so that someone from the community can build a GUI.
Show them just how much you want it, post the link here and then we'll all jump onto it.

It might just work because it did work for the latest Linux release (they were like "shall we still update it?" and then several pages arose with people wanting the update and they did deliver).

Last edited by Vistaus on 04-Aug-2014 at 09:42 AM.

Xmas87 
Posted on 4-Aug-2014 12:01:45
#413 ]

@Vistaus

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Newcomers-and-Contribution/Spotify-on-AmigaOS/td-p/876021

Trixie 
Posted on 4-Aug-2014 13:49:48
#414 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Xmas87, @Vistaus

It's been said quite clearly that the developers got the machine to work on the port in their own free time and not as part of their job commitments. If you want to get them fired, just continue being silly and spam their employer's forum.

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

Vistaus 
Posted on 4-Aug-2014 18:28:18
#415 ]

@Trixie

Wrong. The Linux version is also made in their own free time and not as part of their job commitments, but it did help by voicing our thoughts on the community forum and the people making the Linux version are still working for Spotify so they didn't get fired...

serk118 
Posted on 4-Aug-2014 19:12:22
#416 ]
Cult Member

I did not read all but just the last page, Why dont we just port Libspotify and add the gui+sound and don't rely on them..

http://serk118.blogspot.com/

salass00 
Posted on 4-Aug-2014 20:40:16
#417 ]
Elite Member

@serk118

Quote:

Why dont we just port Libspotify and add the gui+sound and don't rely on them..

Because it's not open source (AFAIK at least).

jaokim 
Posted on 4-Aug-2014 21:22:59
#418 ]

Quote:

QuikSanz wrote:
@jaokim,

Any news on this would be awesome!

Chris

First off, sorry for taking so long to answer. Part of the reason is there's really nothing to say; nothing has, to my knowledge, happened since february. Another part was the fun in seeing how far this thread could derail.

Seriously though, we had some strange problems with networking (on the code level), which we tried to find solutions for, but nothing materialised, and then real life caught up with us.

Now I've tried to re-establish communications with Spotify. But remember that it's still vacation times. We'll have to see what happens.

Might I also remind all of the first post:
Quote:
Lets keep this professional.

We might have crossed that border, but its never too late to try...

Last edited by jaokim on 05-Aug-2014 at 08:33 AM.
Last edited by jaokim on 04-Aug-2014 at 09:23 PM.

Vistaus 
Posted on 5-Aug-2014 9:44:57
#419 ]

@wawa

SailfishOS is a new smartphone OS which I happily use on my Jolla phone (which is the main SailfishOS phone atm).

Porting from there isn't an option unless AmigaOS gets Qt 5 (SailfishOS only uses Qt 5).

Last edited by Vistaus on 05-Aug-2014 at 09:47 AM.

Vistaus 
Posted on 5-Aug-2014 9:46:46
#420 ]

@salass00

Exactly! Which is why I proposed in that new topic on the Spotify forum that if they can't deliver all of Spotify that they at least port libspotify so that Amiga devs can take care of the GUI.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle