Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 116 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hammer:  5 mins ago
 matthey:  9 mins ago
 NancyNash:  12 mins ago
 kolla:  22 mins ago
 agami:  42 mins ago
 Hypex:  58 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 1 min ago
 Musashi5150:  1 hr 6 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 25 mins ago
 cdimauro:  2 hrs 16 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Hardware
      /  15khz LCD monitors
Register To Post

PosterThread
Gordon 
15khz LCD monitors
Posted on 17-Mar-2012 1:44:16
#1 ]

Hi,

Just searching for a LCD monitor for my A4000, I've read that the BenQ G2420HD monitor supports 15khz horizontal frequency, wondering if anyone is using one of these with their classic Amiga, if so what they are like.
I also have a Cybervision64/3D graphics card so want to be able to display RTG screenmodes aswell as the Amiga's native screenmodes.

Cheers,
Gordon

Profile     Report this post  
NovaCoder 
Re: 15khz LCD monitors
Posted on 17-Mar-2012 2:09:50
#2 ]

@Gordon

Pretty good -> AMIGA BOOM - ALIENS TOTAL CONVERSION for Ultimate DOOM

I run WB in VGA mode (no HighGFX support).

Last edited by NovaCoder on 17-Mar-2012 at 02:11 AM.

SACC-dude 
Posted on 17-Mar-2012 6:37:20
#3 ]

@Gordon

might look into the dell sr2320 and sl2420 too

Severin 
Posted on 17-Mar-2012 10:38:13
#4 ]
Elite Member

@SACC-dude

or any lcd tv with a scart connector on it...

Visit the Official OS4 Support Site for more help.

It may be that your sole purpose is to serve as a warning to others.

olegil 
Posted on 17-Mar-2012 11:03:25
#5 ]
Elite Member

@Severin

Mostly a TV will be set up to only work with interlaced signals. Any broadcast AD converters will NOT work with a non-interlaced 15kHz signal. Non-interlaced modes on Amigas and other TV-enabled devices of the 80's are exploiting the characteristics of CRT TVs of the era, expecting them to work with other technologies is very optimistic.

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

wawa 
Posted on 17-Mar-2012 11:47:06
#6 ]
Elite Member

@Gordon

have come across this review on a polish site, you will have to use some kinda translation:
http://www.ppa.pl/sprzet/monitor-iiyama-23-x2377hds.html

wawa 
Posted on 17-Mar-2012 11:52:15
#7 ]
Elite Member

@Severin

Quote:

or any lcd tv with a scart connector on it...

generally that should be true. i have also a generic widescreen lcd tv, tried a 4:3 one before that didnt respond to my expectation what concerns picture quality. the upscaler from scart produced artefacts. the one i have now has a little too much contrast, picture quality isnt as good as a regular monitor, say apple one i use for the pc, but its enough and i can use up to the native resolution driving it via vga gfx card.

RoC 
Posted on 3-Apr-2012 9:22:54
#8 ]

@Gordon

Hi there. I have been using a DELL ST2410 which works just fine at 15hz. It is a HD LCD screen, with HDMI, DVI and VGA connectors.

I tested it with the A500, A600 and A1200. The only problem was with my A1000, which strangely wasn't functioning.

Unfortunately the image is a bit too large for my taste, so I kept using the Indivision ECS and a 17" 4:3 screen, while for the A1200 I am using an old CRT TV meanwhile the new Indivision is eventually released.

Hope this helps

Last edited by RoC on 03-Apr-2012 at 09:24 AM.

Mrodfr 
Posted on 3-Apr-2012 11:11:57
#9 ]

@RoC

great information. I'm using this same monitor at the office (hum...not a dell U2410, your is dell ST2410) and It's a verry good one. I like it so much.

-Could you explain me carefully how you use it with your classic amigas ?
-with a vga cable and 23to15 commodore adaptor ?
-with a scandoubler ?
-how is a 320x256 screenmode game ?
-do you have early startup menu ?
-do you use comp or compoment (bnc) output) ?

In fact, my iiyama 17" CRT (from 1995) will sooner or later will be dead one day and I prefer be informed before..

there are a thread about this subject on amibay:

http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=21467

The Dell U2211 et U2311 apparently work fine with the amiga with 15khz monitor.

The other point to know if if the monitor support 320x256 screenmode.

- Do you have used the monitors you have tested with a normal VGA cable and with the 23to15 commodore adaptor ?

Maybe a rule we don't know is maybe a LCD monitor with HDMI connector work with an amiga with a 15khz screenmode ???

Last edited by Mrodfr on 03-Apr-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Last edited by Mrodfr on 03-Apr-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Last edited by Mrodfr on 03-Apr-2012 at 11:21 AM.

-A1200+Mediator+VooDoo3+060/50+96mo+SCSI-KIT
-SAM440EP-667mhz-on MapowerKC3000+AOS4.1

Amiga Docs Disks Preservation Project

amigakit 
Posted on 3-Apr-2012 11:48:36
#10 ]
Amiga Kit

@Gordon

I am using a BenQ 2420HD with my A1200 - you need an ADAMON001 adapter to connect them.

The pictures not great but it is good enough as a fallback from my Mediator + Radeon graphics card.

Jupp3 
Posted on 3-Apr-2012 14:43:53
#11 ]

@Gordon

I'm using Dell 2001FP.
20.1" 4x3 monitor with nice 1600x1200 resolution, matte surface, and it has composite, svideo, vga and dvi connectors as standard. Also displays PAL through VGA connector with "cheap" adapter at Amiga end.

At least my unit has an annoying bug / feature, which means that you need to touch screen offset controls after each reset, otherwise it's partially offscreen. Doing any offset adjustment centers it properly.

Also, you can attach quite nice Dell Soundbar at the bottom. Much better than most "integrated speakers"

The only major issue is that it doesn't like PAL60, and insists on displaying that as PAL50 instead...

Last edited by Jupp3 on 03-Apr-2012 at 02:45 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 3-Apr-2012 16:07:41
#12 ]
Elite Member

@olegil

I have a ViewSonic N1900w LCD TV I use for my A1 monitor. I tested the SCART input with my A1200 but was disappointed with the result. The picture displays but the monitor converts everything to fake interlace which is annoying. I say fake because because the monitor has an LCD screen but the firmware for some reason emulates interlace. When you can't split a vertical line in two like on a real CRT it looks much worse!

Okay for TV images but I fail to understand why a TV with a digital screen is using emulation of old fashiobned display techniques? Huh? The last TV my mum had did the same thing.

But what disappointed me most was that the display was warped. This also didn't fit with me. My monitor has 1440x900 resolution, so any mode with 320, 640, or Super Hires 1280 across can fit perfectly fine in the centre and especially 1440 max overscan across can fit perfectly exact. But it doesn't do that!

When it comes to Amiga display modes modern screens are crap. They only display one screenmode and your best is to connect a computer that only does one.

Last edited by Hypex on 13-Apr-2015 at 02:49 PM.
Last edited by Hypex on 03-Apr-2012 at 04:09 PM.

amigakit 
Posted on 3-Apr-2012 17:59:30
#13 ]
Amiga Kit

@Hypex

The best solution is the new Indivision 1200 MK2

RoC 
Posted on 3-Apr-2012 20:36:16
#14 ]

@Mrodfr

>Could you explain me carefully how you use it with your classic amigas ?
>with a vga cable and 23to15 commodore adaptor ?

Yes. I have been using an adaptor from Amiga video to VGA.

>with a scandoubler ?

No.

>how is a 320x256 screenmode game ?

It works just fine, and do not need to center the video. Once again, personally I don't like to see the amiga screen on a wide 24" screen though..

>do you have early startup menu ?

Yes, I can even see the KS screen.

>do you use comp or compoment (bnc) output) ?

No. See above

>Maybe a rule we don't know is maybe a LCD monitor with HDMI connector work with an >amiga with a 15khz screenmode ???

I read somewhere that DELL HD LCD screen should be able to manage the 15hz. For the sake of clarity, the only problem I have is with the A1000 that cannot be shown on the screen at 15hz. I know that it is odd and strange, however that's how it is..

All the other OCS/ECS Amiga that I have works just fine with the adaptor and ST2410.

Let me know if you need more help.

Last edited by RoC on 03-Apr-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Last edited by RoC on 03-Apr-2012 at 08:39 PM.

RoC 
Posted on 3-Apr-2012 20:38:26
#15 ]

@amigakit

>The best solution is the new Indivision 1200 MK2

Fully agree! Good news.

I have been waiting long for it, looking forward to getting one of these Indivision 1200 soon.

realize 
Posted on 4-Apr-2012 0:31:34
#16 ]

Do any of these lcd monitors you guys mention work ok with a TV cable/sat box for viewing hdtv?

olegil 
Posted on 6-Apr-2012 9:05:21
#17 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

I can trump that. I've got a VS LCD monitor (not TV) at work that insists on being overscan. It has RGB and HDMI inputs, and I'm stuck with the RGB input running at 1920x1200 giving horrible noise artifacts on any white or gray background.

The alternative is to not see about 25% of the screen, specifically the parts which have all my menus and icons. The reason? Using the HDMI input scales the image up by quite a large amount, so everything I'm interested in is off-screen.

It even has a 1:1 aspect ratio switch in the on screen menu, and this maps the pixels perfect but blacks out the borders that would be off-screen in the normal mode

Tried it on a smartphone and a satellite receiver using HDMI, as well as both Linux and Windows on the laptop. Turns out there is no way out. I really want to upgrade from the old CRT TV at home, but I'm scared ####less by the idea of ending up with another stupid screen like that.

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

RoC 
Posted on 8-Apr-2012 8:35:10
#18 ]

@realize

The ST2410 has the HDMI port and HD capability, however I have never tested it with DVD player or TV tuner..

pc297 
Posted on 13-Apr-2015 9:08:42
#19 ]

@Gordon

Just found another one. The Medion MD7475AB scans down to 15Khz natively (even though its manual sets the minimum scan rate at 31.47Khz, see http://www.manualslib.com/manual/651666/Medion-Lcd-Color-Monitor.html?page=9). I am able to use the native Amiga resolutions with a very decent and stable picture in PAL mode. Don't know about NTSC (I have a PAL A1200 so can't tell). You may have to re-adjust height/width when changing resolutions but no biggie. One extra good point for this monitor: it has built-in speakers!

At any rate, definitely better than using those GBS8200/8220 scandoublers with a non-supported lcd (cheap but some white snow in native modes as well as a lot of artifacts in interlaced, DBLPAL and VGA modes - and you need to manually connect the R,G,B, CSYNC and ground signals - only - to the board otherwise they can't lock on using plain DB23 adapters). I had one of those and got frankly tired of it (snow+artifacts+wobbly picture, they work but that's where it stops, nothing great really eh) , before finding out that my Medion 7475AB supports 15Khz!

Anyway, the Medion MD7475AB works great, native 15Khz for games and also WB. DBLPAL also works however with a warning screen (which does not occur using PAL). And of course all VGA modes work ;)

Note that for all these monitors you will ideally need the original Commodore DB23->HD15 adapter, the ones from amigakit and co cause infinite reboot loops at startup. This is because amigas look for genlocks at startup and since these adapters don't have capacitors on HSYNC and VSYNC (unlike the original Commodore adapter) they will feedback to the amiga which will mistake them for genlocks when connected to a multisync monitor such as the MD7475AB/Dell 2001FP etc. An annoying workaround is to boot without a monitor, wait for the green light to come on fully then insert the vga cable. You can modify these adapters by inserting a couple of 0.1uF capacitors on the HSYNC and VSYNC wires, but I would suggest getting the original Commodore adapter for best results (I ended up buying one after getting annoyed having to do the monitor plug-in trick over and over again)

Cheers

Deniil715 
Posted on 13-Apr-2015 10:02:20
#20 ]
Elite Member

@pc297

It is also possible to use a double-inverter (74HCT04) on the SYNC lines to prevent a signal going backwards into the Amiga, causing the boot-loop. I made an adapter like that a long time ago which worked perfectly fine with any VGA monitor.

Last edited by Deniil715 on 13-Apr-2015 at 10:03 AM.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle