Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 165 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  31 mins ago
 pixie:  50 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 29 mins ago
 DWolfman:  1 hr 39 mins ago
 cncparts:  3 hrs 12 mins ago
 saipaman4366:  3 hrs 58 mins ago
 Beajar:  4 hrs 17 mins ago
 Rob:  4 hrs 20 mins ago
 agami:  5 hrs 23 mins ago
 RobertB:  5 hrs 43 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Development
      /  Just started working on good looking AmigaOS4 skin
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
djnick 
Just started working on good looking AmigaOS4 skin
Posted on 17-Jun-2012 2:20:28
#1 ]
Cult Member

Hello guys!

Just started working on AmigaOS4 skin... This is alpha V0.1 - still has LOTS of work to do...

But first I will have to figure out HOW to do stuff, where to find images, can it support PNG [now I see system supports transparent PNGs] and this is just beginning.

Take a look at my 1st steps:

http://djnick2k.deviantart.com/art/AmigaOS-4-1-skin-alpha-version-308824131

[There is Download Image
JPG, 1920×1080 at the top right of the web site to see 1:1]

Questions would be:

1) What to do to create AmigaShell look like good old KingKon: [if I remember correctly[. I was not into Amiga land in past 10 years, even I have full working PPC Amiga here but rarely turned on. The idea is to create Amiga shell with black background and green letters [like linux terminal or something].

2) How to enable scrolling history in Amiga Shell / CLI? It used to work with KingKon. If I would need to replace this Amiga Shell, please help me do it, and replace with KingKon that sill seems to be way better than current Shell.

3) I would like to see "Yes Master:>" instead "AmigaOS:>" prompt ;)

4) Can I make Jack background to be more transparent? Would be nice to be able to change font size and style in Jack ;)

5) Damn Filer - makes me troubles - can not select more than one file at once... With this lister - I would have fully working DopusMagellan replacement [as in past]. Still needs rework with Cut / Paste from Workbench to Filer... and multiselection [which for some reason does not work here]

6) Still can not see where I can swap blue gradient of windows with my image I would create specially for windows. Where it is located in SYS:?

Well this was one night work... Just to finish another projects and I am going back to Miggie. It is really great fun. Still needs LOTS of work to make skin look good, but for alpha v0.1 I think it is a good start...

Lets make Workbench rocks and let Win7 looks ugly! :)

All best
Nick.

Last edited by djnick on 17-Jun-2012 at 02:21 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
samo79 
Re: Just started working on good looking AmigaOS4 skin
Posted on 17-Jun-2012 3:22:43
#2 ]
Elite Member

@djnick

First of all, nice theme !

Now reply

Quote:
1) What to do to create AmigaShell look like good old KingKon: [if I remember correctly[. I was not into Amiga land in past 10 years, even I have full working PPC Amiga here but rarely turned on. The idea is to create Amiga shell with black background and green letters [like linux terminal or something].

2) How to enable scrolling history in Amiga Shell / CLI? It used to work with KingKon. If I would need to replace this Amiga Shell, please help me do it, and replace with KingKon that sill seems to be way better than current Shell.

3) I would like to see "Yes Master:>" instead "AmigaOS:>" prompt ;)

You must install KingKon 68k as the new native shell are not availible yet

Quote:
4) Can I make Jack background to be more transparent? Would be nice to be able to change font size and style in Jack ;)

Have you ask djrikki ?
He is the author

Quote:
6) Still can not see where I can swap blue gradient of windows with my image I would create specially for windows. Where it is located in SYS:?

Look at "SYS:Prefs/GUI"

Last edited by samo79 on 17-Jun-2012 at 03:23 AM.

http://www.betatesting.it/backforthefuture

Sam440ep Flex 800 Mhz 1 GB Ram + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6
AmigaOne XE G3 800 Mhz - 640 MB Ram - Radeon 9200 SE + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6

djrikki 
Posted on 17-Jun-2012 3:52:30
#3 ]
Elite Member

@djnick

Font easily do-able, size less so - could get fiddly. Transparency, well its using the alpha channel/mesh you supplied me with. Don't know off-hand whether I can adjust the level of transparency of the window within the language itself.

Re: KingCon - There is an adapted version for OS4 on Aminet - of all places - then you have to go to some other site for the life of me I cannot remember the name of - to replace something or other in the archive. Hopefully, go by preview images I saw donkeys ago somewhere - in OS4 we may well see a new version of the shell complete with tabbing. The present shell is a disgrace - hence why I replaced within a couple days of buying the machine.

Nice skin by, ps. watched Pandorum on Friday - gr8 film :)

Last edited by djrikki on 17-Jun-2012 at 03:57 AM.
Last edited by djrikki on 17-Jun-2012 at 03:57 AM.

K-L 
Posted on 17-Jun-2012 8:08:37
#4 ]

@Thread

Sorry to hijcack this thread but you could take a look at Amitheme (skins realized by Sinisrus which are provided with an easy installer script, you can even switch between them).

http://amitheme.amiga-ng.org/index_en.php

sicky 
Posted on 17-Jun-2012 8:28:15
#5 ]
Elite Member

@djnick

I have a question, how do you get the rounded corners on the windows, I really like that look and don't know how to get it?

Kicko 
Posted on 17-Jun-2012 8:48:48
#6 ]
Elite Member

@djNick

Keep up the good work. Ill watch you !!! (and svaka_ti_dala ;)

djnick 
Posted on 17-Jun-2012 10:41:17
#7 ]
Cult Member

@djrikki

Thank you DJRikki :)

I love your Jack, & here is what I would like to see implemented, of course when find time:

- Possibility to create transparency / opacity of background only OR whole Jack in options
- Bubble help for each button [still can`t get used to icons - don`t know which one is for what option] :)
- Possibility to change font [numbers colour and its shadow?]

And that would be perfect [for designers users] ;)

Keep up with good work! Hear of you soon!

djnick 
Posted on 17-Jun-2012 10:44:36
#8 ]
Cult Member

@sicky

I accidentally found it [as usual] - I am on PC now but will try to remember - go to Workbench GUI prefs, go to somewhere middle of the tools [to the left] in its window, I think it was Gadget style or so, click OPEN, and in requester go to PARENT and you will see 4 or 5 directories of styles - Square, Rounded etc. Actually only Rounded differs a bit, all the rest are more or less the same. Then enter into Rounded directory and click OK. All windows will appear rounded at the top [but to see so, you will have to disable all commodities to make system re-fresh instantly].

Hope this helps :)

Later today I will try to dig out more [I have 2 web sites for this weekend to finish... damn] :)

VooDoo 
Posted on 17-Jun-2012 10:45:50
#9 ]

@djnick

Bravo DJ niche ;) fresh and modern look ..I like it ..

Amiga x5000 ı o2o ı 4GB RAM ı RadeonRX580 | SBlaster Audigy Fx - AmigaOS4.1 FInal Edition

A1200 sandwich :)

Croatian Amiga portal

djnick 
Posted on 17-Jun-2012 11:00:04
#10 ]
Cult Member

@K-L

Hey S-L! GREAT LINK!!! Thank you very much!!!

Looks like this site is new [I was Googling: Style Your Amiga OS, Amiga Stylish, Amiga Skins] but didn`t find this site.

Also I didnt like anything what I saw [in Google] and this new site will make me easier to understand where goes what and what to change :)))))

I have just seen all screenshots. Some of them have good backgrounds, but still gfx needs more tweaking to make [my taste] satisfied :)

Thank you again for the link.

I have seen AmigaLook website [it is in Amiga OWB's browser somewhere]... Nothing perfect there too, but when make my 1st theme I am satisfied with, you will get it all & I will upload it everywhere.

Thank you all for helping me make Amiga OS working :)

My opinion [from 10 years of absence from Amiga world] and after using MacOS, Win7, Android, iOS and looking at some Linux stuff... I can say - AmigaOS has GREAT potential!!! Just has very unfriendly installation, lots of horrifying questions [like this one I got for Clock / Time save - clock still does not save time?!], I fix errors by accident, I think I am experienced [not hard core geek, jut designer and software user], I have big experience in designing UIs [user interfaces] and drawing all in Photoshop...

What needs AmigaOS is - good and easy installation, much improved look of installer script and much improved default look.

Then it can compete with other devices. And it is great fun to use :)

Just to have normal OS [the best one currently is MuiOWB... Mozilla is extreeemly slow [I hope it won`t be at the end that slow? It takes over 30 seconds just to start?] and we need good paint program [the best to me is ArtEffect, closest to Photoshop, but has some redrawing problems, at least this version I have bought now 12 years ago, V4.0] and Photogenics [also bought via internet]... PageStream demo I can't find anywhere to test it, will try to reach Deron [he still didn`t finish website we started 2-3 years ago] and would love to use DrawStudio... Just need some more free time. :)

djnick 
Posted on 17-Jun-2012 11:02:40
#11 ]
Cult Member

@VooDoo

Thank you guys :) For V0.1 is ok :D he he. Just don't like AmigaOS font [still looks too spacey and not modern]...

Take a look here:

http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=303&fpp=50&text=AmigaOS4.1

and scroll down... Many fonts looks better than this one chosen for AmigaOS4.1... and all are free.

eliyahu 
Posted on 17-Jun-2012 11:08:34
#12 ]

@djnick

Quote:
... we need good paint program [the best to me is ArtEffect, closest to Photoshop, but has some redrawing problems, at least this version I have bought now 12 years ago, V4.0] and Photogenics [also bought via internet]... PageStream demo I can't find anywhere to test it, will try to reach Deron [he still didn`t finish website we started 2-3 years ago] and would love to use DrawStudio... Just need some more free time. :)

the 'redrawing' issues you see with arteffect are related to an incompatibility with the compositing used by OS4.1 and later. to use arteffect you'll need to create a custom screen without compositing enabled. once you do that it should look like this. photogenics v5.0 also works on NG systems, such as your SAM, and works well -- but has the same stability issues it always had. drawstudio also works.

nice background, by the way. looking forward to seeing your theme.

-- eliyahu

sicky 
Posted on 17-Jun-2012 11:18:26
#13 ]
Elite Member

@djnick

Quote:
I am on PC now but will try to remember - go to Workbench GUI prefs, go to somewhere middle of the tools [to the left] in its window, I think it was Gadget style or so, click OPEN, and in requester go to PARENT and you will see 4 or 5 directories of styles - Square, Rounded etc.

I went to prefl/gui and went to Gadgets, what do I select to find Rounded option? Within Gadgets the tabs available are, General, Frames, Scrollers, Gauges and Classes. I suspect it would be Frames but cannot see where to set the option!

Quote:
Actually only Rounded differs a bit, all the rest are more or less the same. Then enter into Rounded directory and click OK. All windows will appear rounded at the top [but to see so, you will have to disable all commodities to make system re-fresh instantly.

I just cant find what I'm looking for, maybe looking in the wrong place! I found option for 'Rounded' Button corners but not for window corners, where do I set this option?

cha05e90 
Posted on 17-Jun-2012 11:46:31
#14 ]

@sicky
Quote:
maybe looking in the wrong place

SYS:Prefs/GUI -> Styles -> open filerequester -> one drawer upwards, choose whatever style you like.

Alternative: SYS:Prefs/Presets/GUI/Default -> Try whatever theme you like best, afterwards doubleclick "Save Theme"...

Last edited by cha05e90 on 17-Jun-2012 at 11:46 AM.

sicky 
Posted on 17-Jun-2012 12:27:54
#15 ]
Elite Member

@cha05e90

Quote:
SYS:Prefs/GUI -> Styles -> open filerequester -> one drawer upwards, choose whatever style you like.

Thank you, selected and chose 'Curvy' option, just how I want it now, didn't know the option existed....... doh!

Last edited by sicky on 17-Jun-2012 at 12:28 PM.

djrikki 
Posted on 17-Jun-2012 13:10:35
#16 ]
Elite Member

@djnick

No problem I'll see what I can do, in the meantime I am working on the music player inside Jack. If like me you appreciate seeing album artwork against each song in your collection (that has artwork of course!) this will frankly blow everything else out the water as there is currently no competition. I'll be working on it again this afternoon/evening.

Rob 
Posted on 17-Jun-2012 13:42:19
#17 ]
Elite Member

@djnick

You might also want to check out Sketchblock which is a fairly recent and in development OS4 native graphics package.

http://www.broad.ology.org.uk/amiga/sketchblock/index.html

djnick 
Posted on 17-Jun-2012 14:00:07
#18 ]
Cult Member

@Rob

Yes I have installed it first before everything :) It has also excellent potential!

The only thing that is distracts me from drawing is - selecting tools from tool menu. Each time I click on tool menu - it selects that window first [gray window becomes blue] and then it refreshes and then tool gets selected. Then I go back to drawing board, that window redraws, became blue [was gray] and slows down. Other than that - it is great package. I suppose it is something with commodity or similar. Would be best if whole program will be on its OWN window [without subwindows that needs to be "clicked" to make active....]

I hope I explained it well :)

Toaks 
Posted on 17-Jun-2012 18:09:46
#19 ]
Elite Member

@djnick

looking forward to the final version

Overflow 
Posted on 17-Jun-2012 18:15:56
#20 ]

@djnick

Only chiming in to say that the skin linked in original post looks really really nice

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle