Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 124 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

amigakit,  Gunnar

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  15 secs ago
 amigakit:  34 secs ago
 vox:  25 mins ago
 zipper:  28 mins ago
 kolla:  35 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  49 mins ago
 BigD:  1 hr 32 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 34 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  2 hrs 5 mins ago
 Frank:  2 hrs 50 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Why MOS/OS4 theme on AROS/OS4/MOS is a bad idea & illegal
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
Darrin 
Re: Why MOS/OS4 theme on AROS/OS4/MOS is a bad idea & illegal
Posted on 2-Sep-2012 1:35:43
#41 ]
Team Member

@realize

Franko is making a joke and there is nothing wrong with friendly humour in threads, even if they resurrect memories of school custard that needed to be cut with a knife and slid down the throat like congealed frog spawn.

I have to admit that this thread does confuse me a bit. Every modern OS I've looked at lately looks the same because they use the same solution to the same problem. You have a computer and a mouse attached to a screen full of icons which either run when you click on them or open up another window full of icons to click on. I spend a lot of time making Workbench look like Wndows!

Profile     Report this post  
Pleng 
Posted on 2-Sep-2012 3:21:00
#42 ]

@Darrin

Quote:

I spend a lot of time making Workbench look like Wndows!

I remember trying to customize my workbenches to look as much like Windows as possible, and my Windows to looks as much like workbench as possible.

Happy times!

Darrin 
Posted on 2-Sep-2012 4:42:41
#43 ]
Team Member

@Pleng

LOL. It is strange, but whatever a company gives us we will try and change it.

samo79 
Posted on 2-Sep-2012 5:21:20
#44 ]
Elite Member

What a childish thread .. sic

http://www.betatesting.it/backforthefuture

Sam440ep Flex 800 Mhz 1 GB Ram + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6
AmigaOne XE G3 800 Mhz - 640 MB Ram - Radeon 9200 SE + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6

Frags 
Posted on 2-Sep-2012 9:03:26
#45 ]
Cult Member

Well to make this thread of some use, how about someone linking me a nice OS4 theme for MOS?
Thanks in advance x

- insert profound text here -

Karlos 
Posted on 2-Sep-2012 9:13:39
#46 ]
Elite Member
From: As-sassin-aaate! As-sassin-aaate! Ooh! We forgot the ammunition!

I use an amiga theme for my linux machine...

Don't taze me bro!

rebraist 
Posted on 2-Sep-2012 9:31:49
#47 ]

Quote:

resle wrote:
Coming next:

- OS4 users shouldn't eat meat on Friday
- MOS users must wear white clothes only
- AROS users must marry their cousins and live in the wilderness

Hi Father resle!
I'm trying to reach perfection but I have a very hard inner fight in me: I have aros, mos and os4.
Will i go to heaven or am i condemned?
i write this from the very wilderness, wearing my shiny white robe while my lovely cousin is cooking an elk pie.
Sincerely yours, Gandalf the white (*)

(*) i'm thinking to turn to gray: any problems?

Last edited by rebraist on 02-Sep-2012 at 09:32 AM.

Simon 
Posted on 2-Sep-2012 9:45:58
#48 ]
Cult Member

Every amiga user by now knows very well what is OS4, MorphOS or AROS .... I seriously doubt anyone can be fooled with a theme.

And as others said ... themes, skins, etc ... it's there for ages on every platform. it's a matter of personal taste and not about copyright.

But I guess every community has their wannabe stand-up comedians.

The Belgian Amiga Club on FACEBOOK !

The Belgian Amiga Club Website

Tuxedo 
Posted on 2-Sep-2012 10:40:08
#49 ]
Elite Member

what a big problem...

opi 
Posted on 2-Sep-2012 11:01:18
#50 ]
Team Member

@rebraist

Quote:
I have aros, mos and os4.

Sinner! You are way beyond redemption at this point. The Hell, where people use Windows 98 on a crappy hardware, is where you're heading.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 2-Sep-2012 11:16:01
#51 ]
Elite Member

Oh my :)
I saw the thread title and thought, "no way, that cant be ChrisH yet again could it?".
He's bought this up a few times before and been answered (re: Icaros theme is inspired by OS3.x).

Theme's paying homage to all sorts of systems exist for pretty much everything. It's been happening since the dawn of time. Heck, check out aminet. There's OSX themes, there's WinXP themes, there's Next themes, Beos themes, and a plethora of others.

OS4.x comes with a theme that's ripped off from Zeta and OS4.x is a commercial product. Where's the outrage there by OP?

Seriously, dumbest and most transparent thread Ive seen here for a long time, in the face of some serious competition.

minator 
Posted on 2-Sep-2012 13:00:32
#52 ]
Cult Member

"Bad artists copy. Great artists steal" - Pablo Picasso

TheDaddy 
Posted on 2-Sep-2012 13:12:42
#53 ]
Elite Member

@minator

>>"Bad artists copy. Great artists steal" - Pablo Picasso

And Steve Jobs

eliyahu 
Posted on 2-Sep-2012 13:18:03
#54 ]

@minator

i remember steve jobs being quoted as having said the same thing. one steve levy's books, IIRC. edit: argh! thedaddy beat me to it!

@thread

anyhoo the ferox-like theme for AROS as well as the OS4-like theme aren't exactly eye-catching. the only objection i have to them is they're damn hideous. the OS4-like themes i've seen for MOS aren't brilliant, either.

best to use the environment you prefer anyway. i don't care for the default MOS theme, but for those who do, use MOS rather than AROS -- it's a much, much more complete OS and much more enjoyable to use. and it runs on cheap hardware. same for OS4, er, well, except the 'cheap hardware' part.

@ChrisH

as for legality, well, i'm sure the copyright holders are aware, and since they don't seem bothered by the imitative skins, i'm not bothered either. ignore the lynch mob in this thread, by the way. nothing says 'amigan' like persecution complex.

-- eliyahu

Last edited by eliyahu on 02-Sep-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Last edited by eliyahu on 02-Sep-2012 at 01:18 PM.

Franko 
Posted on 2-Sep-2012 13:29:04
#55 ]
Elite Member

@ All

Isn't it strange how ChrisH has been remarkably quiet since starting this thread...

Reckon he must be working on his next one about what a rip off & scandal it is that most computers come with a "Querty" keyboard and that should be illegal too and every manufacturer of keyboards should arrange the keys randomly or in a layout they have patented...

@ ChrisH

C'mon be a man in your "flame proof" suit you donned right at the start here of your wee attempt at causing some controversy (which failed badly) and at least say something... (even if it is another load of rubbish)...

@eliyahu

"Ignore the lynch mob" !!!

Hmmm.... dunno about you but all I see here are people giving the type of replies that this thread deserves (mainly humorous ridicule), so if you think that is getting "lynched" then you should consider that lucky... try walking down Sauchiehall street in Glasgow on a wet Saturday night singing Rangers songs when a group of Celtic supporters are approaching (or vice versa) and then you'd really find out what a lynching is...

danwood 
Posted on 2-Sep-2012 13:31:09
#56 ]

@samo79

Agreed, this thread is pretty pathetic. Desktop themes have existed for as long as I've used computers, see it as a compliment. Nobody is getting confused by installing a skin on their OS of choice.

eliyahu 
Posted on 2-Sep-2012 13:47:53
#57 ]

@Franko

Quote:
hmmm.... dunno about you but all I see here are people giving the type of replies that this thread deserves (mainly humorous ridicule), so if you think that is getting "lynched" then you should consider that lucky... try walking down Sauchiehall street in Glasgow on a wet Saturday night singing Rangers songs when a group of Celtic supporters are approaching (or vice versa) and then you'd really find out what a lynching is...

as it so happens, when i was a student, i was a huge rangers fan. use to take the train up for matches all the time. probably spent more time at ibrox than at tutorial.

and as for the celtics, well, i never met a celtics fan that didn't deserve a pint glass up his....

-- eliyahu

fishy_fis 
Posted on 2-Sep-2012 14:10:38
#58 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

Quote:
@thread

anyhoo the ferox-like theme for AROS as well as the OS4-like theme aren't exactly eye-catching. the only objection i have to them is they're damn hideous. the OS4-like themes i've seen for MOS aren't brilliant, either.

best to use the environment you prefer anyway. i don't care for the default MOS theme, but for those who do, use MOS rather than AROS -- it's a much, much more complete OS and much more enjoyable to use. and it runs on cheap hardware. same for OS4, er, well, except the 'cheap hardware' part.

Nonsense. AROS is just as capable as MOS or OS4.x. In some ways moreso.
UAE runs 10x faster (well more, but not important), Dosbox runs much, much faster. FPSE is a different league. 3d is a different league. AROS has wireless stack/drivers (and a lot more drivers in general). Compiling is orders of magniture faster. I can run full 1080p video without dropping frames while concurrently running UAE fster than either MOS or OS4 could even hope to(even without video). AROS web browsing is much, much faster for a lot of stuff, and so on and so forth. For every advantage MOS or OS4.x has AROS has its own. Enjoyable is in the eye of the beholder, and personally I dont find it enjoyable to use severely outdated (ppc) hardware for "modern" computing.
I have a 1.42ghz macmini and Ive booted it maybe a dozen times in 4 or 5 months as I cant stand how slow it is for a lot of stuff I do. AROS has just as many bad points as OS4 or MOS, but its complete nonsense that OS4.x or MOS are "much, much more complete". Care to elaborate there? (and Wanderer !=the OS, which is an angle many people take when trying to claim thier choice is best).
At the end of the day I dont care too much for any of the NG options. I have used and do use them for years, I developed for/on them, but they just dont appeal to me like the originals do (or amithlon, my preffered "modern" amiga system), but I still cant refrain from calling people on it when they spout rubbish.

Also curious as to how this is even relevant to themes by the way?

Fab 
Posted on 2-Sep-2012 14:19:08
#59 ]

@fishy_fis

Erm, well, 3D results are actually VERY disappointing, considering the different class of the 3d hardware. Gallium really does a bad job at using it properly.
And in general, all your examples just show the the raw power of the machine, not AROS itself. For instance, on AROS, MPlayer wastes a huge time in blitting frames, to the point it takes more time to blit than to decode, which is just WEIRD. :)

It would be funny to see how AROS compares on a ppc machine. Though we can already see it on 68k hardware, where it's visible it's substancially slower than OS3.x.

KimmoK 
Posted on 2-Sep-2012 14:26:43
#60 ]
Elite Member

@thread

For official (kind of) screenshots, I wish PR people would not use copied themes. I just wish. Other than that. PANCAKES!

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle