Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
27 crawler(s) on-line.
 96 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  41 mins ago
 Bruce72:  43 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 14 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  1 hr 30 mins ago
 t0lkien:  1 hr 36 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 56 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  2 hrs 9 mins ago
 Troels:  3 hrs 11 mins ago
 Gunnar:  3 hrs 26 mins ago
 zipper:  3 hrs 55 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Developer Projects Forum
      /  Reanimating the 'smbfs' Amiga SMB file system client: Which Samba/Windows version works for you?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
Tomppeli 
Re: Reanimating the 'smbfs' Amiga SMB file system client: Which Samba/Windows version works for you?
Posted on 6-Dec-2012 23:02:27
#41 ]

Anybody with filename problems. Have you tried to use the Translate option of Smbfs ?

Profile     Report this post  
nbache 
Re: Reanimating the 'smbfs' Amiga SMB file system client: Which Samba/Windows version works for you?
Posted on 6-Dec-2012 23:12:41
#42 ]

@Tomppeli

Quote:
Tomppeli wrote:
Anybody with filename problems. Have you tried to use the Translate option of Smbfs ?
Yes, I did try experimenting with it. But interpreting UTF-8 into Latin-x requires a conversion of two consecutive characters into one, which cannot be done with the existing scheme, as far as I can tell.

It's strictly 8-bit to 8-bit.

Best regards,

Niels

nbache 
Posted on 6-Dec-2012 23:31:13
#43 ]

@olsen

Quote:
olsen wrote:
@nbache

Quote:
nbache wrote:

I just made the following test from my X1000:

Copy kernel.debug (around 1.5 MB) from HD to NAS: 1 minute 8 seconds.
Copy the same back from the NAS to a new place on the same HD: 1 second.

This is in line with my dailly experiences.

Wow, that's really terrible. Still, I don't understand how the write operations play out. It's possible that writing requires the other side to acknowledge each packet sent, and a different set of write commands might do the same job better. There's always more than one type of packet in SMB to do the same job :-/
Right. It will be interesting to see what your TCPDump experiments can reveal. If you need me to make a TCPDump here at any time, just let me know.

Quote:
Parsing the file names and escaping what doesn't translate will invariably complicate the path name processing, and there are only so many characters in a file name (107) that may be used.
True. In case the filename grows beyond the limit, silent truncation could be an option. It's not likely to be a very common thing (unless the files originated on a Mac -- for some reason there's an old tradition to make overly long filenames amongst Macheads; maybe "because they could"). Edit: Also, most people will be using files created in their own language, so most files will have filenames which can be completely converted into their own system charset.

Quote:
Hm... maybe something simple will suffice: escape the untranslatable code point octets with % and escape the % character, too, just like this is done in URL schemes.
Yes, that's another possibilty. But you would still have to represent them in a printable way, just like in URL encoding, so in practice you'd still translate one UTF-8 character of two bytes into four hex digits, plus the escape sign, so that's almost as big an increase as my suggestion, right?

Quote:
I think that the escaping option should not be enabled by default, and names which don't decode would be omitted from directory listings instead. This would make the file system safe to use by default. If you know exactly what you're doing, you would enable the escaping option.
Hmm, this sounds like you had intended, with escaping enabled, to just carry over the original bytes, some of which are unprintable, with the escape sign prepended. That doesn't really give any benefit over the present situation. And if the only alternative is omitting the unprintable file names completely, I think I find myself between a rock and a hard place. Personally I'd rather choose an option to get the hex values escaped, even with the risk of having to truncate some filenames. That way I could at least usually work out what the filename was intended to be.

Best regards,

Niels

Last edited by nbache on 06-Dec-2012 at 11:33 PM.

Spectre660 
Posted on 7-Dec-2012 0:31:30
#44 ]
Elite Member

@nbache

Copy files from a Windows XP machine over a wireless network to a Sam460ex gives me max transfer download of 1156KB/s using Netspeedometer for the speed check when the transfer is initiated from the Sam460ex.

Last edited by Spectre660 on 07-Dec-2012 at 12:32 AM.

amigafan 
Posted on 7-Dec-2012 8:21:25
#45 ]

@olsen

MacOS X 10.5 (PPC) and MacOS X 10.6 (x86) and Windows XP professional 32 bit works flawlessly with smbfs.

Last edited by amigafan on 07-Dec-2012 at 08:24 AM.

ville9 
Posted on 7-Dec-2012 16:49:54
#46 ]

@GoosMcGuile

Quote:
yes, your right, only normal ascii characters are supported in filenames.
My FRITZ!Box 7390 Firmware: 84.05.22

I also own a FRITZ!Box 7390 with firmware 84.05.22 and had the same problem with garbled umlauts.
This can be solved by editing /var/samba/lib/smb.conf on the box itself (after connecting via telnet). The box rewrites smb.conf on a regular interval though, so I had to write the following script as /var/flash/debug.cfg (which is automatically executed after a restart):

{
while true; do
if ! grep -q "dos charset" /var/samba/lib/smb.conf; then
sed "/^unix charset/i\
dos charset = CP850" -i /var/samba/lib/smb.conf
fi
sleep 60
done
}&

Not very elegant, but it works fine with latin1-encoded filenames...

Nibunnoichi 
Posted on 7-Dec-2012 17:30:31
#47 ]
Cult Member

@olsen

Great to see some will to resurrect this
I have a Western Digital NAS which uses Linux + BusyBox IIRC and it works well with my AmigaOS4 machine, i'm also able to stream audio from it.

nbache 
Posted on 7-Dec-2012 22:03:10
#48 ]

@Spectre660

Quote:
Spectre660 wrote:
@nbache

Copy files from a Windows XP machine over a wireless network to a Sam460ex gives me max transfer download of 1156KB/s using Netspeedometer for the speed check when the transfer is initiated from the Sam460ex.
Yes, as I also noted above, reading from SMB to Amiga is fast, while writing from Amiga to SMB is slow.

Best regards,

Niels

Spectre660 
Posted on 7-Dec-2012 22:24:50
#49 ]
Elite Member

@nbache

Indeed.
22KB/s

Quote:

nbache wrote:
@Spectre660

Quote:
Spectre660 wrote:
@nbache

Yes, as I also noted above, reading from SMB to Amiga is fast, while writing from Amiga to SMB is slow.

Best regards,

Niels

softwarefailure 
Posted on 7-Dec-2012 23:17:08
#50 ]

Experience on QNAP TS-212: SMBFS can be mounted and files can be accessed but there are some errors:

1. Deleting files via shell doesn't work. For every file I try to delete I get the error: "foo.bar cannot be deleted: file not found"

2. When compiling sources with gcc from the NAS I get the error: "can't create test.o: Text file busy"

EDIT: The interesting thing is that it does work on MorphOS (using the same smbfs binary). The errors above only show up on OS4.

Last edited by softwarefailure on 08-Dec-2012 at 10:50 AM.

olsen 
A progress report, but still some help needed for Windows 7 testing
Posted on 10-Dec-2012 17:22:51
#51 ]
Cult Member

Hello everyone,

this weekend I finally managed to put the final touches on the Roadshow TCP/IP stack for 68k Amiga computers, and today I made some progress getting closer to figuring out why smbfs doesn't work so well with "modern" Windows/Linux/Mac file server software.

First thing, the more modern file servers have changed the rules regarding which data transport protocol they prefer. In smbfs this protocol port is #139 (known to experts and people who talk loudly in cinemas as "SMB over NetBIOS" transport), but the preferred method involves the use of port #445 (which is known as "SMB over TCP/IP" transport). I made small changes to how smbfs connects to the server, and now I'm actually able to (almost) connect to a system running Windows 7 (which, I'd like to add, I actually spent some money on).

Here's where I need a bit of help, since Microsoft changed how the file sharing configuration works out in the system configuration. I'm loath to start digging or shelling out even more money just to learn how to configure this feature to do something useful. Some help would be appreciated how one might set up the usual old shared folder for a user account with a password. I get as far as exchanging six meaningful packets with the server, after which it politely informs me that the "\\win7-thingy\users\olaf" resource does not exist. It's possible that the path name I gave is just wrong, but I don't know yet what the correct name should be. Any clues?

I started adding more debugging code to smbfs in order to figure out which SMB packets are exchanged between the file system and the server. This is likely going to mutate into a somewhat sophisticated SMB packet disassembler by the time smbfs starts working again.

As for Mac support, it appears that the Mac OS X Mountain Lion SMB server doesn't like the smbfs connection request at all, in spite of the fixes I already put into the code. The server rudely closes the connection without even replying. So there's likely some more work needed, but it's also possible that this just won't fly :/

Chris_Y 
Re: A progress report, but still some help needed for Windows 7 testing
Posted on 10-Dec-2012 18:25:04
#52 ]
Elite Member

@olsen

Quote:

Here's where I need a bit of help, since Microsoft changed how the file sharing configuration works out in the system configuration. I'm loath to start digging or shelling out even more money just to learn how to configure this feature to do something useful. Some help would be appreciated how one might set up the usual old shared folder for a user account with a password. I get as far as exchanging six meaningful packets with the server, after which it politely informs me that the "\\win7-thingy\users\olaf" resource does not exist. It's possible that the path name I gave is just wrong, but I don't know yet what the correct name should be. Any clues?

Try \\win7-thingy\c$\users\olaf

Otherwise right-click on a folder somewhere and select "properties", sharing tab, "advanced sharing" (I think) and set it as shared with the default options. They've moved things around but if you can get to the advanced sharing options, they are actually the normal ones present in XP and earlier.

nbache 
Posted on 10-Dec-2012 21:17:11
#53 ]

@olsen

Quote:
olsen wrote:

this weekend I finally managed to put the final touches on the Roadshow TCP/IP stack for 68k Amiga computers,
Yay! (whatever those were )

Quote:
I made small changes to how smbfs connects to the server, and now I'm actually able to (almost) connect to a system running Windows 7 (which, I'd like to add, I actually spent some money on).

Which version of Win 7 do you have? I think it needs to be at least Professional, otherwise it's missing some of the components needed to activate/administrate some of the "good old" protocols (SMB shares and RDP come to mind, maybe others as well). I still have on my to-do list to upgrade my wife's Win 7 Home Premium laptop to Professional to see if I can get those working again.

Quote:
I started adding more debugging code to smbfs in order to figure out which SMB packets are exchanged between the file system and the server. This is likely going to mutate into a somewhat sophisticated SMB packet disassembler by the time smbfs starts working again.
Such a thing can always come in handy!

Best regards,

Niels

olsen 
Posted on 11-Dec-2012 9:12:21
#54 ]
Cult Member

@Chris_Y

Quote:

Chris_Y wrote:
@olsen

Quote:

Try \\win7-thingy\c$\users\olaf

Aha - I was so close

Thank you, I'll give this a spin and look over the data that is exchanged. I was pleasantly surprised that even with the wrong path name, Windows 7 didn't outright reject the slightly modified smbfs connection request. Maybe it's easier to fix this than I had expected. But I'd rather not get ahead of myself.

Quote:

Otherwise right-click on a folder somewhere and select "properties", sharing tab, "advanced sharing" (I think) and set it as shared with the default options. They've moved things around but if you can get to the advanced sharing options, they are actually the normal ones present in XP and earlier.

Niels already mentioned that there might be some trouble ahead with the difference between the home and the professional release of Windows 7. I bought the home edition. Is there something I should be knowing before I proceed?

olsen 
Posted on 11-Dec-2012 9:20:33
#55 ]
Cult Member

@nbache

nbache wrote:
Quote:

Which version of Win 7 do you have? I think it needs to be at least Professional, otherwise it's missing some of the components needed to activate/administrate some of the "good old" protocols (SMB shares and RDP come to mind, maybe others as well). I still have on my to-do list to upgrade my wife's Win 7 Home Premium laptop to Professional to see if I can get those working again.

I spent money on the home version. Since I won't be using it for anything serious, I thought that the extra coin for what Microsoft considers the professional version might not be worth the effort (and it would have been a lot more money). It's very well possible that most smbfs users are not using the professional version either.

I believe that smbfs ought to work with the Windows 7 home version. Since that version supports file sharing, getting smbfs to talk to it should be possible. At least, I'm trying to figure out how to make it work.

Quote:

Quote:
Such a thing can always come in handy!

Looking at the old code I found that I couldn't understand whatever bit-twiddling it did in order to communicate with the server.

It basically consists of a long list of "put that magic value into this packet byte" operations, followed by the counterpart of "pull this packet byte out, combine it with this other packet byte, then compare the result against another magic number".

It's possible that there are bugs in this code which are undetectable unless you have something at hand which can verify their correctness and translate the magic numbers into readable information.

Chris_Y 
Posted on 11-Dec-2012 14:05:53
#56 ]
Elite Member

@olsen

Quote:

Niels already mentioned that there might be some trouble ahead with the difference between the home and the professional release of Windows 7. I bought the home edition. Is there something I should be knowing before I proceed?

No idea, I've only ever used Professional. If home supports sharing, I imagine the default admin shares (c$, admin$) will be present regardless of what options are on the GUI.

There are a few options that you can change in the local policy relating to SMB and sharing, on Home you'll need to do that through the registry (IIRC Home doesn't come with the Local Security Policy tool)

Last edited by Chris_Y on 11-Dec-2012 at 02:11 PM.

Rose 
Posted on 11-Dec-2012 15:36:07
#57 ]
Cult Member

@Chris_Y

Quote:

Chris_Y wrote:
@olsen

Quote:

No idea, I've only ever used Professional. If home supports sharing, I imagine the default admin shares (c$, admin$) will be present regardless of what options are on the GUI.

Only major difference in this case is that Professional supports Domains and Home version doesn't.

nbache 
Posted on 11-Dec-2012 21:33:41
#58 ]

@Chris_Y

Quote:
Chris_Y wrote:

There are a few options that you can change in the local policy relating to SMB and sharing, on Home you'll need to do that through the registry (IIRC Home doesn't come with the Local Security Policy tool)
Ah, that must be what I remembered hearing. So if it's "just" a matter of doing some registry hacking, it shouldn't be a showstopper for olsen's efforts.

Best regards,

Niels

nbache 
Posted on 11-Dec-2012 21:36:55
#59 ]

@Rose

Quote:
Rose wrote:

Only major difference in this case is that Professional supports Domains and Home version doesn't.
Cool. Then at least that hurdle is out of the way.

Best regards,

Niels

gregthecanuck 
Posted on 11-Dec-2012 22:40:33
#60 ]
Cult Member

@olsen

If you want to try out Windows 7 professional you can install VirtualBox and install as a trial version. You can do the same with most Microsoft operating systems, including Windows 8.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle