Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
18 crawler(s) on-line.
 128 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

matthey

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  1 min ago
 VooDoo:  9 mins ago
 Mr_Capehill:  14 mins ago
 outlawal2:  41 mins ago
 kiFla:  1 hr 27 mins ago
 kriz:  1 hr 30 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 50 mins ago
 retrofaza:  1 hr 57 mins ago
 vox:  2 hrs ago
 amigakit:  4 hrs 5 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga PPC Linux
      /  MOL on AmigaOne
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
Hypex 
Re: MOL on AmigaOne
Posted on 7-May-2014 15:11:08
#101 ]
Elite Member

@xeno74

Did your try disabling DMA?

Or, can you image the OSX disc to a HD partition and boot from that?

Last edited by Hypex on 07-May-2014 at 03:11 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
Hypex 
Posted on 7-May-2014 15:29:28
#102 ]
Elite Member

@Geri

Quote:
This behavior is definitely new, as the onboard IDE controller works with kernel 2.6.32 on my A1XE.

Once I got a 0680 I transferred all my drives over.

Quote:
You're right. In this case I'm talking about the non-coherent DMA workaround in the Linux kernel.

Okay so a software issue. I did wonder if DMA operations woud be okay regarding the non-coherent nature of the A1.

Quote:
Unfortunately. I guess there is also no way to integrate the latest updates into the OSX installer

No, but one wants to boot and install the OS, bit fiddle with their existing disc and try to patch it up. In any case, it shouldn't mattter if it is running in an emulated or virtual enviroment.

Quote:
How does your kernel command line look like?

In this case:
MacOSX /boot/uImage-2.6.18-6-book3s-amigaone root=/dev/hdd4 rw video=radeonfb:1024x768@60 lang=us libata.dma=1 ide=nodma ide=reverse hde=noprobe hdf=noprobe

I added that libata when it looked like DMA was still on. But looks like it isn't used.

Quote:
That should be faster anyway.

It is but I don't have a spare to install it on.

Quote:
Well, I don't have headers for the 2.6.x kernels

That's funny. There's a 2.6.18 kernel source. Perhaps if you upload the headers or source to SF each time you complete one would help us, before you delete it off your system.

Quote:

Exactly. It works on our system but somehow /dev/cdrom doesn't work with Scott's MoL config file.

Last edited by Hypex on 07-May-2014 at 03:34 PM.

scabit 
Posted on 7-May-2014 21:29:58
#103 ]

@Hypex

Quote:
Exactly. It works on our system but somehow /dev/cdrom doesn't work with Scott's MoL config file.

Please keep in mind that I am not using a CDROM, but a DVD. Could it bet hat instead of specifying /dev/cdrom in my MOL config file, I need to specify the DVD device, and if so, would that be dev/dvdrom or what?
That is exactly how it behaves, as if it is trying to read from a CD when the MAC OSX install disk is actually a DVD. Maybe thats why it takes 20 minutes to be able to read enough to start the install......

Scott

Last edited by scabit on 07-May-2014 at 09:30 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 8-May-2014 1:57:17
#104 ]
Elite Member

@scabit

That shouldn't make any difference. Here I have a CDRW/DVDROM and DVDRW drive in my A1. In Linux they always come up as /dev/cdrom, I haven't seen any difference. All it does it map optical drives it finds to block devices. So I also have a /dev/cdrom1, pointing to my DVDRW.

Also I have tested an OSX DVD, CDR and DVD-R. All are found by Linux and then MoL. The drive should read and send the data whatever the media is, as that is its job. For example an Amiga CDFS can read a DVD out of the box when you plug a DVD drive in. At least it does for CacheCDFS.

I do see the logic of what you are saying, it has crossed my mind before. Are you able to eliminate SATA and test another IDE setup? Yes I know this can be a pain after getting it all up and working otherwise. I suspect the older kernel is holding it back.

xeno74 
Posted on 30-May-2014 12:51:49
#105 ]
Cult Member

Problem Mac OS X with MOL on KVM

I have traced some Mac OS X Tiger and Jaguar guests. I have started them in the single user mode. Sometimes I get a shell. But the cpu load rise up to 100% and I can't enter any commands.

More info: Debugging MOL/KVM using Ftrace

Hypex 
Posted on 30-May-2014 15:52:24
#106 ]
Elite Member

@xeno74

I wonder if the MolHID and MolAccel messages and failing are the culpriot here?

I aso wonder about compiling options options. Did you try both MoL and KVM style modules setup in the "make config".

Also, was AmigaOne turned on or off I wonder if it would be better if it was off as an A1 and X1000 are different hardware. I think that's all for now.

scabit 
Posted on 3-Jun-2014 12:51:54
#107 ]

@Hypex

Any news on a rebuilt MOL for newer-ish Debian kernel?

Scott

Hypex 
Posted on 3-Jun-2014 14:30:33
#108 ]
Elite Member

@scabit

No news, still at the same spot in my PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 6-Jun-2014 2:52:27
#109 ]
Elite Member

@scabit

Thought I'd give an update. The last few weeks I've been trying to hack together a new MoL for our AmigaOne platform. It's been a bit of a dog as it's a real pain to compile. It requires a load of dependant source code and headers just to compile and It isn't a case of downloading the source code and hitting make.

Historically, I also tried to compile MoL on my Ubuntu 9.04 setup, and it looks like I may have given up as Geri saved the day back then. I was getting a SyncRead error and Geri managed a new compile to fix that.

Fast forward a few years later. I have a Squeeze system, around two years old it looks, and also tried to compile MoL on that. I recently used that as a base but it was installed with kernel 2.3.32 IIRC. I can get to a point where the main code is compiled. But module compiling always broke. I also was compiling for a 3.10 kernel as I didn't have 2.6.32 sources and so transported the project to a Wheezy partition running kernel 3.10 as I thought that would be best. Also, something broke my Squeeze volume as the desktop won't load itself, and applying fixes suggested by Geri or what I read elsewhere have not yet fixed it up so I consider it broken. It also is low on space where the other one has ample space available.

So, it took a few nights bringing Wheezy up to scratch. SVN'd a fresh source and all that it needed. I also found on the web, though the info is vague, that to compile the MoL modules one needs to actually download the full kernel source and compile the whole lot! This seems a bit extreme as all MoL should need are some kernel headers. But, it keeps complaining about an unconfigured kernel source, so breaks every tine. I tried downloading kernel headers and making the config. Not good enough. So then Geri made available the 3.10 kernel source, huge download! Huge time needed just to load it before unpacking. Also tried a make configure on the source. Nup, not good enough. Compiled the modules. Nup, not good enough. Still complaining about an unconfigured kernel source. Sigh.

So this is the point I am at. All it needs are two stupid files in an include dir and I have to compile a whole kernel source just to generate them! Huge task! The MoL source checks for this and if these two files aren't found then it complains about an unconfigured kernel source.

I hope it does work! Wil keep you guys posted. Hopefully I have the modules soon.

Last edited by Hypex on 06-Jun-2014 at 09:19 AM.

Barana 
Posted on 24-Aug-2014 0:10:10
#110 ]
Cult Member

@Hypex

Hows progress mate? looking for the right vid card for my 460 then will be turning to install wheezy and hopefully try mol. hoping u made progress! what vid card r u using on ur ai1?

I serve King Jesus.
What/who do you serve?

realize 
Posted on 24-Aug-2014 1:28:20
#111 ]

@Hypex

You should use 2.4 kernels and compile the kernel mods should work ootb. Also like I mentioned Kurt Grach from Mr Hardware release some MOL cds that made install very easy.

Hypex 
Posted on 24-Aug-2014 9:37:37
#112 ]
Elite Member

@Barana

In short I got Mol compiled easy but found the moduies can't compile as they are not compatible with modern kernels and KVM must be used instead.

So, using a 3.10 kernel, I was able to get MoL started, but had to issue a "modprobe kvm" first otherwise it complained about missing modules. But it ended again there. When it tried to boot I ended up with a white screen IIRC. I also think it might have taken the system down. This could be due to incomplete KVM support in the kernel. Needing to probe for KVM wasn't a good sign.

My A1 has a ATI 92100SE. I have noticed that MoL isn't made to deal with LCD video modes. Well all the modes it supports don't do 1440x900 wide screen! I am stuck at 1280x1024. Terrible even when it does work.

Hypex 
Posted on 24-Aug-2014 9:42:17
#113 ]
Elite Member

@realize

Then I'd need a 2.4 kernel source as well. But, is the 2.4 kernel more stable and bug free than the 2.6 kernels, for example? Old kernels had a few problems such as memory limits. Do old kernels support stable UDMA, SATA and 2GB RAM? If not then it's useless triying an old kernel.

Right now my MoL is using kernel 2.6.18, which is rather old, and I have DMA problems on my 0680.

The MoL CDs, are these the PegXMac installer or something else?

xeno74 
Posted on 24-Aug-2014 13:20:42
#114 ]
Cult Member

A1-X1000:

Unfortunately, the same state as three months ago. Mac OS X doesn't boot in MOL/KVM. I have the latest KVM with the kernel 3.17 installed.

Alex told me, there's also always the chance that split real mode is the real culprit for breakage here.

Sometimes I get a shell in the single user mode but if I enter a command then the system freezes immediately.

realize 
Posted on 25-Aug-2014 1:20:24
#115 ]

@xeno74

I keep telling you guys to stop wasting time with MOL on modern kernels. Back when we were working alot with MOL on peg Sven Luther who was the Debian PPC kernel maintainer and I spoke with mol guy at legnth one time. They have an irc channel btw.

As far as the cd intsall from K Grach its not PegXmac its a custom made installer that installs Debian and MOL on A1xe iirc.

Geri 
Posted on 25-Aug-2014 10:01:18
#116 ]
Elite Member

@realize

Quote:
realize wrote:
@xeno74

I keep telling you guys to stop wasting time with MOL on modern kernels. Back when we were working alot with MOL on peg Sven Luther who was the Debian PPC kernel maintainer and I spoke with mol guy at legnth one time. They have an irc channel btw.

Kernel 2.4 is definitely not an option anymore, as it has no workarounds for the DMA corruption problem and doesn't support more than 700MB RAM on the original AmigaOnes. This are all things that have been fixed in the 2.6 kernel series (with DMA still being a problem sometimes, but at least we have a workaround that not only covers the IDE subsystem as for the 2.4 kernels). I also submitted patches to MoL to make it work with kernel versions up to ~v2.6.30 on the original AmigaOne.

KVM is another story. The KVM backend in MoL is more or less new and AFAICT hasn't seen widespread testing, thus I do not wonder that it doesn't work out of the box.

- A1 Linux support -

xeno74 
Posted on 19-Sep-2014 14:38:19
#117 ]
Cult Member

I have good news. I have created an ISO from my Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger DVD (retail box version). And then I have installed it with PearPC on a HD image. Mac OS X Tiger starts without any problems on QEMU with KVM-PR enabled from this HD image on my A1-X1000.

Screenshots:

The performance is higher than without KVM-PR. But it could be a little faster for productive work. I think Mac OS X Tiger works very fast on a POWER8 system. My problem was Jaguar. It can't start with KVM-PR enabled.

tlosm 
Posted on 19-Sep-2014 16:01:35
#118 ]
Elite Member

@xeno74

Wonderful Christian :)
Check the performance install sheepshaver on the Kvm and there run Speedometer 4.01
You can find it on
http://macintoshgarden.org

i just made a tip Macintosh Garden is full of software for mac ppc :P

This is the result for the Quad

photo 7ec56194-2ead-4402-87b4-5394a989fd14_zps4522e6bd.jpg

from there you can download VirtualPC too ;)

Luigi

Last edited by tlosm on 19-Sep-2014 at 04:04 PM.

MacBook Pro Retina I7 2.3ghz;
#nomorea-eoninmyhome

Hypex 
Posted on 19-Sep-2014 17:33:26
#119 ]
Elite Member

@xeno74

I wonder if this is the way for the AmigaOne as well. And to drop MoL all together.

As to Jaguar, well I never saw it work in MoL, and the disc has a dual PC/Mac format. Did you grab the HFS image from the 10.5 disc and attempt boot?

Last edited by Hypex on 20-Sep-2014 at 05:03 PM.

xeno74 
Posted on 20-Sep-2014 9:38:05
#120 ]
Cult Member

@Hypex

I can't install Mac OS X with QEMU. I installed it with PearPC (Windows XP) on a HD image and then copied it via FTP to the AmigaONE X1000. Unfortunately PearPC doesn't support Mac OS X Leopard. And it is important to know, that MoL with kernel modules is faster than QEMU with KVM-PR enabled. But I'm happy that Tiger works with KVM-PR on my AmigaONE X1000.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle