Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
19 crawler(s) on-line.
 172 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  36 mins ago
 pixie:  55 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 35 mins ago
 DWolfman:  1 hr 44 mins ago
 cncparts:  3 hrs 17 mins ago
 saipaman4366:  4 hrs 3 mins ago
 Beajar:  4 hrs 23 mins ago
 Rob:  4 hrs 25 mins ago
 agami:  5 hrs 28 mins ago
 RobertB:  5 hrs 48 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  OS4 OpenLinux: Regarding the Amiga Community
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )
PosterThread
number6 
Re: OS4 OpenLinux: Regarding the Amiga Community
Posted on 20-Jun-2013 12:50:18
#21 ]
Elite Member

@damocles

Quote:
According to Barry and Leo, they were in contact with Ben but Ben stopped replying to their emails.

According to the interview (q&a included) with Barry Altman promoted on Amiga.org and published as a .pdf:

Question:

Quote:
What happened during the discussions I would assume you had with Ben Hermans and maybe Trevor about the attempt to license the AmigaOS for your Licensed Amiga hardware that you could build based on perhaps a Sam or X1000 motherboard in an official Amiga case.

Barry's response:

Quote:
Dont ever assume anything. (Im sure youre all familiar with a very popular adage). I have never had any conversation with either of them,

Perhaps we're dealing with semantics?

Anyway, it's important to note chronologically that such claims of talk were made well before the interview, which is still available:

Here

Last edited by number6 on 20-Jun-2013 at 01:16 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
vox 
Posted on 20-Jun-2013 18:19:10
#22 ]
Elite Member

@RobertJDohnert

Dear Roberto,

Thank you for exponations etc. Your personal good feelings for Barry and honour given are your rights, even I personally don`t feel so. (However I do find it interesting he will kind of be honoured in Linux world that C=USA never contributed back, but its good there are no Amiga honours since they are even less deserved. My personal opinion).

Off course users who download your Linux knows its LInux, its not a big confusion,
e.g. there are iOS 4 and so on, but as you know, usually OS4 means forth incarnation of some OS i OS naming convention.

Looking forward to PowerPC port of your Linux, and I do believe you will find people here interested.

Quote:
Personally, I dont even think Barry himself understood what his own vision was.

Excellent exponation of raise and fall of C=USA

@Dammy

So we should not believe in the Official Community Q&A?

Last edited by vox on 20-Jun-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Last edited by vox on 20-Jun-2013 at 07:34 PM.

klx300r 
Posted on 20-Jun-2013 20:06:51
#23 ]
Elite Member

@RobertJDonhert

, thanks for the very informative introduction and you'll soon find out that your experiences with the Amiga mirrors that of many of us here. Best part is we're still here and enjoying our favourite OS every day which is still actively in development.

Quote:

scabit wrote:
@RobertJDohnert

Thanks for the clarifications. Perhaps, although you missed your chance as a youngster to enjoy owning an Amiga, you can now afford an AmigaOne X1000 or other AmigaOne and enjoy the Amiga today? It still lives on, in spite of the many attempts to kill it off. Simply an amazing OS.

Scott

+ 1, also the majority of AmigaONE owners run some version of Linux on their machines as their secondary OS so it would be great if you can share your expertise with A-EON & ACube to give us an 'official' OS4 OpenLinux specifically designed to run and work optimally on current AmigaONE hardware

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

vox 
Posted on 20-Jun-2013 23:32:09
#24 ]
Elite Member

@number6

Quote:
That proposal never got out the door, except in the form of an Amigaworld posting involving a "challenge" to the community, which was seeking for a new approach.

As far as I remembered, they nulled first votes and hacked (as results were pro PPC), and restarted it, but it never gained attention again, so was silently left to death, while claimed community gave up in infamous interview.
http://amiga-poll.blogspot.com/2011/12/tha-amiga-poll-blog.html

Last edited by vox on 20-Jun-2013 at 11:41 PM.

wawa 
Posted on 21-Jun-2013 13:59:37
#25 ]
Elite Member

@vox

the results were pro ppc and pro os4 (in completely insane amounts of votes) because it was hacked in first place. such hacking has happened repeatedly on similar subjects, where similarly biased votes have been added in a minute intervals also on this very site. so please dont try to turn around the history again. some lame hacker with os4 agenda is to blame for that, not anyone else.

OlafS25 
Posted on 21-Jun-2013 14:12:01
#26 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

+1

the surveys obviously were easy to manipulate so no survey was and is reliable and we have to believe that all surveys in the past were heavily manipulated either. I think that behavior is rather childish and completely senseless but we cannot change it.

klx300r 
Posted on 21-Jun-2013 14:21:55
#27 ]
Elite Member

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

OlafS25 
Posted on 21-Jun-2013 14:23:44
#28 ]
Elite Member

@klx300r

we understand

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 21-Jun-2013 15:45:04
#29 ]
Elite Member

@klx300r

Quote:
the majority of AmigaONE owners run some version of Linux on their machines

I don't think that statement is based on anything.

What is true, my impression is that a lot Amiga users have big problems whit UBOOT, they generally have problems configure the DMA options, and enable and disable hard-drivs on their controllers.

Another impression I have is that most Amiga users have no love for Microsoft.

Some thing that is true is that we need software we can't run on AmigaOS, so a scened OS is required for many I think this might be MacOSX, I personally use Windows, not because I like it but because I have gotten used to it, and because I want a gaming computer.

So way not Linux? Well I can run games on Linux, but often it requires WINE.
Then there is Skype and Spotify, Spotify requires WINE, Skype has native client.
Desktop, while Linux desktop look nice, you end up always doing every thing from terminal, like install or uninstall software.

So way Linux? Because its good open source platform and its free, and because there are programs that exist on Linux that we don't have or the software we have is out date it make little point in using it in 2013, we also have cross compile tools for Linux, and Cygnix, Cygnix in inact horrible slow, you might as well use VirtualBox running Linux, or even a live USB stick installation of Linux.

But MaxOSX has bash terminals, has useable desktop, and has office, so I think thats way it might be a where attractive alternative.

Toaks 
Posted on 21-Jun-2013 17:43:30
#30 ]
Elite Member

@RobertJDohnert

thanks for sharing , good read and informative and i wish we had more of these things instead of ramblings and trolling on these subjects.

damocles 
Posted on 21-Jun-2013 17:46:00
#31 ]

@number6

Quote:
Perhaps we're dealing with semantics?

What I was referring to is before A-EON was created so you have to look at the context to what Barry was asked so no he didn't have talks with Trevor and Ben about putting A1X1K/SAM/OS4 into a C= Amiga that Barry sold. What I was talking about is when Ben and Barry/Leo were trading emails at the very early stages about porting OS4. Ben simply stop replying to them.

klx300r 
Posted on 21-Jun-2013 18:15:10
#32 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

I won't bite mate can you please start another thread about OS's other than Linux that one can run on OS4.1u6 capable machines

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

number6 
Posted on 21-Jun-2013 18:17:53
#33 ]
Elite Member

@damocles

We're going off topic, but I surely understand what you're saying.

In Amigaland or the real world "no conversation" can indicate to a reader that no communication took place, when the writer could mean "no verbal communication". Like I said "semantics".

But if your basic thought was that communication failed in some way on the Hyperion side...that's surely more likely indeed. However, we may never know if it was refusal to respond out of spite, lost or misfiled mail, legal issues that made even a continued dialog something necessary to avoid, etc.

Rest assured that people noticed the communication problems and a dialog took place in early 2012. That's all I can say about that.

RobertJDohnert 
Posted on 21-Jun-2013 20:30:34
#34 ]

The last 72 hours has been interesting, I have had a lot of good conversations with people in the Amiga community and some with my own design team. Some people have brought up some great ideas and some have some ideas that have been good, but not practical. Here are some of the questions that I have gotten that really stuck out.

1. Why dont you license the Amiga brand from Amiga Inc and pick up where CommodoreUSA left off and create Amiga branded hardware and rename your OS Amiga OpenLinux and Amiga Enterprise Linux?

In the short term, that would definately gather some fame, more site hits and definately a bit more revenue. But, in order for that to work we would have to have unfettered support from the Amiga community and get them more involved and standing behind it. In the long term people would be like "uh, this isnt the Amiga its a Linux distro with the Amiga brand" and then what? Some will feel cheated and some will not come back again. For that to work you definitely, once again, would need the support of the Amiga community. You would also need to get the support from Hyperion, and you would need to get a long term cross promotion going with Hyperion and Amiga inc. As for Hyperion I dont know what their enterprise plans are. I have contacted Amiga Inc. about brand licensing, no Im not saying we are going to go that route, Im just curious how much they license the brand for. They havent responded back. Im curious on what your ideas are with a scenario like that, so please leave feedback on that.

2. Could the AmigaOS be ported to x86/x64?

The simple answer to that is I dont know. I have never seen AmigaOS source code, it would have to be analyzed and a plan made and executed. With its roots in 68k and PowerPC it would take a lot of work and you have to look at the business sense. When someone has an idea businesses look at it and even though it may be a good idea would the cost of doing it match the revenue that could be produced. In the US probably not, German market specifically I think it could be profitable.

3. How come the Amiga isnt popular in the United States anymore?

Because the Amiga has been gone. When Gateway brought it they promised new hardware they made tons of promises and didnt deliver and so the AmigaOS has entered obscurity. could it be brought back? Yeah. You can go from niche to mainstream. You have to pick a function and do it better than everyone else. Not add alot of eye candy, no a bunch of video game sounds and such to get attention. Can your OS do what I want it to do? Thats the question. When i made OS4 Enterprise Linux, I had so many people tell me I was crazy. Red Hat controlled the market, there was just no need for it. I did it anyway and its really gotten a lot of support. The price is $99.00 USD and it has features you pay thousands of dollars to Red Hat for.

So keep em coming and if anyone knows someone from Amiga inc. Tell them to answer my inquiries LOL.

number6 
Posted on 21-Jun-2013 20:40:17
#35 ]
Elite Member

@RobertJDohnert

I'll have to read your post more carefully to see what can be answered.

But this part I fully understand:

Quote:
I have contacted Amiga Inc. about brand licensing, no Im not saying we are going to go that route, Im just curious how much they license the brand for. They havent responded back.

This comes as zero surprise to me.

RobertJDohnert 
Posted on 21-Jun-2013 20:57:22
#36 ]

@number6

Quote:

I may just go ahead and say on my website that Im going to make Amiga branded hardware and software and wait for them to contact me. In my experience sometimes its easier to ask for forgiveness then permission rather than ask for permission first.

number6 
Posted on 21-Jun-2013 21:02:46
#37 ]
Elite Member

@RobertJDohnert

Quote:
I may just go ahead and say on my website that Im going to make Amiga branded hardware and software and wait for them to contact me. In my experience sometimes its easier to ask for forgiveness then permission rather than ask for permission first.

Oddly that is what Barry did to get a response from the "owner" of the Commodore IP, whilst Commodore Gaming was still trying to portray that they had a grip on the IP. Of course the "owner" is not the owner anyway, but Commodore activities are an entirely different subject. Heh.

I still need to read your prior post and give it some thought...

Please read PM.

Last edited by number6 on 21-Jun-2013 at 09:09 PM.

persia 
Posted on 21-Jun-2013 22:10:29
#38 ]

@number6

There is no IP left that has any commercial value, all Barry wanted was the company name...

Darth_X 
Posted on 21-Jun-2013 22:17:07
#39 ]
Elite Member

@RobertJDohnert

Quote:

RobertJDohnert wrote:
@number6

Quote:

"Amiga" branded pancake mix would be cool!

number6 
Posted on 21-Jun-2013 22:22:37
#40 ]
Elite Member

@persia

Quote:
all Barry wanted was the company name

What he wanted might have depended on whom he was talking to at the time.

Also, how carefully that person noted the exact wording.

Quote:
While Commodore USA is currently a licensee for the Commodore and Amiga name, the intention is to own these companies outright one day and to be a publicly traded company on a major exchange.

One can joke about the goals, but they were stated differently to different people at different times.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle