Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 113 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 DWolfman:  5 mins ago
 cncparts:  1 hr 38 mins ago
 saipaman4366:  2 hrs 25 mins ago
 Beajar:  2 hrs 44 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 46 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  3 hrs 49 mins ago
 agami:  3 hrs 49 mins ago
 RobertB:  4 hrs 9 mins ago
 OlafS25:  4 hrs 59 mins ago
 Bruce72:  5 hrs 1 min ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  OS4 OpenLinux: Regarding the Amiga Community
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )
PosterThread
RobertJDohnert 
Re: OS4 OpenLinux: Regarding the Amiga Community
Posted on 25-Jun-2013 18:43:40
#261 ]

@vox

Quote:
Now, your test of Amiga Inc might be difficult. They want their 600$ per product a year and I do believe its unworthy. Better go back to OS4 Linux. Now seeing that licence is not that expensive I see how greedy CUSA was.

Agreed, thats what we have done and I have gotten nothing out of Amiga Inc but PR spin and how Hyperion Entertainment is the Apple of EUROPE.

On a side note, this morning during our skype session Josh, one of our developers, said the exact same thing as you just did.

My use of the Amiga name was an attempt similar to what Barry did which was bring the trademark holder to the table and get something positive done. I can see that lightning doesnt strike twice and I have since moved on from it and we will continue to work with you guys, the Amiga community, and the companies involved, A-EON and AmigaKit, and work on solutions and solutions to problems to better the space for Linux and Amiga users who like the PowerPC platform. We have a strong brand and I am perfectly content to leave it at that. I do apologize if I offended anyone or made anyone think that we were trying to hijack anyone.

Profile     Report this post  
eliyahu 
Posted on 25-Jun-2013 18:52:45
#262 ]

@RobertJDohnert

Quote:
My use of the Amiga name was an attempt similar to what Barry did which was bring the trademark holder to the table and get something positive done. I can see that lightning doesnt strike twice and I have since moved on from it and we will continue to work with you guys, the Amiga community, and the companies involved, A-EON and AmigaKit, and work on solutions and solutions to problems to better the space for Linux and Amiga users who like the PowerPC platform. We have a strong brand and I am perfectly content to leave it at that. I do apologize if I offended anyone or made anyone think that we were trying to hijack anyone.

no apologies needed. i for one am grateful to see any fresh faces on the linux for power scene. whether or not that has anything to do with 'amiga' or doesn't really matter too much. welcome!

-- eliyahu

RobertJDohnert 
Posted on 25-Jun-2013 18:54:34
#263 ]

@vox

BTW the discussion from everyone this morning was this. The only way we would bring an Amiga branded Linux distro is if we had the blessings of Hyperion, Amiga Inc and most importantly the Amiga community. So yes, my team does care about the going ons.

Last edited by RobertJDohnert on 25-Jun-2013 at 06:56 PM.

number6 
Posted on 25-Jun-2013 18:58:03
#264 ]
Elite Member

@RobertJDohnert

Quote:
Hyperion Entertainment is the Apple of EUROPE.

That's a somewhat new spin from his prior stance.

Quote:
The product that we are going to ship is going to be much better than OSX from Apple

Bill McEwen from 2006.

source

Now I'm really confused about which company is Apple...

Boot_WB 
Posted on 25-Jun-2013 19:05:19
#265 ]

@number6

Quote:

number6 wrote:
@RobertJDohnert

Quote:
Hyperion Entertainment is the Apple of EUROPE.

That's a somewhat new spin from his prior stance.

Maybe he meant it in a nice way.

Kronos 
Posted on 25-Jun-2013 19:38:40
#266 ]
Elite Member

@Boot_WB

Who said he was even talking bout a company ?

vox 
Posted on 25-Jun-2013 21:46:08
#267 ]
Elite Member

@number6

Quote:
Bill McEwen from 2006. source Now I'm really confused about which company is Apple...

I do recall Barry saying they will beat HP and Apple ...

vox 
Posted on 25-Jun-2013 21:51:04
#268 ]
Elite Member

@RobertJDohnert

Quote:
BTW the discussion from everyone this morning was this. The only way we would bring an Amiga branded Linux distro is if we had the blessings of Hyperion, Amiga Inc and most importantly the Amiga community. So yes, my team does care about the going ons.

Well, you can license AmigaOne way cheaper I suppose from Hyperion and for need of PPC boards is good enough and contains Amiga name embedded.

Its quite small community anyway, so my 2 cents is to keep focusing on x86 version while building AmigaOne (PPC) port slowly.

Do not mix Amiga name for x86 version. Might really end up like C=OS.

Build a good team, as people do notice website looks like single man effort.

cgutjahr 
Posted on 25-Jun-2013 22:18:18
#269 ]
Cult Member

@RobertJDohnert

Quote:

Thats because we did the openly contribute thing and it made a mess out of everything.

Sure, the "openly contribute thing" didn't work for you - let's just leave it at that. And let's ignore that half of the things I listed were not about contributing, but about infrastructure for users. And let's ignore that the first 40 google hits for "os4 openlinux" all pointed to your own site two days ago (ironically, there are some links to Amiga forums in the first 40 hits now).

Quote:

Im trying really to understand the root of your argument here, the whole thing sounds like a vent to me.

The root of my argument is that your project doesn't seem to go anywhere, and that this is the reason why you're here. The root of my argument is that your business plan sounds a lot like all the other business plans I got to witness in the last 15 years:

Step 1: TRADEMARKS!!!!
Step 2:(still working on that one)
Step 3: FAME, SUCCESS, MONEY, NAKED CHICKS!!!

So let me ask you again:

What's the advantage that OS4 OpenLinux offers for us (PPC desktop users) compared to Ubuntu, Mint, Debian? Why would we actually want this?

It's a simple question - one that you totally ignored in your last reply. Please make a case for your product. That can't be asking too much, can it?

Quote:

Who says Im raping the Amiga trademark?

I do. There's really no connection between your product and the trademark you're trying to get your hands on. Using an old trademark to sell a product or get some more attention is raping, as far as I'm concerned. On top of that, you openly admit that you got contacted by the owner of the trademark, and that he didn't want to give you a license. Yet you're still here and you're still planning to rebrand your Linux distribution as "Amiga". What would you call that?

I can't give you my honest opinion about McEwen or Ben Hermans, because it would get deleted instantly. But that doesn't mean we're all free to act like scum now, just as long as McEwen/Hermans are the target of whatever atrocities we commit.

Quote:

So thats why you are so angry, you think Im trying to rape the Amiga?

Nope, like I said: be my guest.

I'm angry because you're either trolling all of us or you're just really, really not-so-clever. It's completely obvious that nothing useful is ever going to come out of this - we witnessed half a dozen wannabe community leaders like you come and go. And the result was the same every xxxxxxx time: People getting annoyed, people getting pissed or disillusioned, people leaving the community.

I don't care about the trademark anymore. I care about the community. And said community doesn't need you, that much is for sure.

Quote:

When you attack our product, when you attack our presentation you insult them, thus I get offended.

I didn't "attack" your product, I said it's useless for this community. If you consider that an "attack", maybe you should switch to another job.

Quote:

then Mr. cgutjahr feel free to exit stage left

LOL.

Edited for foul language by moderator

Last edited by amigadave on 26-Jun-2013 at 12:03 AM.

vox 
Posted on 25-Jun-2013 22:24:44
#270 ]
Elite Member

@cgutjahr

Quote:
Hardware Support - We will be creating and making Amiga branded hardware for the masses. x64 based Servers, contemporary desktops and we will maintain our partnership with ASUS and bring rebranded ASUS laptops with Amiga OpenLinux and Amiga Enterprise Linux. Now, the AmigaOS 4.1, is a PowerPC based system, what we plan to do for those users is make our desktop cases in such a way, and work with PowerPC developers so that the x86 boards can be swapped out with PowerPC boards so users can use both systems whenever they wish. We will also be maintaining a close relationship with the Amiga community and expand the OS4 Marketplace so that customers can buy AmigaOS supported hardware as well.

Sounds exactly like C=USA with better PR to community. Again: requires licence from Amiga Inc and might end up the same, because no one in PC world sees added value in Amiga name. Its interesting idea of dual hardware approach, but unless you got functional PPC 615 its mask to keep community calm for name (ab)use.

I don`t really see how non AmigaOS related Linux has suddenly in 15 days became so AmigaOS related.

sundown 
Posted on 25-Jun-2013 22:34:29
#271 ]
Elite Member

@blizz1220

Quote:
And now Number 6 , you should post YOUR personal information so that those

You might do the same.

Lets see;

number6-8030 posts, 0 ARs
blizz1220-31 posts, 2 ARs

Who do you think ppl will respect more, you or him... ?

Don't wander in here & demand that ppl kiss your butt.

wawa 
Posted on 25-Jun-2013 22:53:53
#272 ]
Elite Member

@cgutjahr

Quote:
I don't care about the trademark anymore. I care about the community. And said community doesn't need you, that much is for sure.

apparently it does:
Quote:

eliyahu:
no apologies needed. i for one am grateful to see any fresh faces on the linux for power scene. whether or not that has anything to do with 'amiga' or doesn't really matter too much. welcome!

or at least a part of it.

@vox
Quote:
I don`t really see how non AmigaOS related Linux has suddenly in 15 days became so AmigaOS related.

according to above post it doesnt need to be "amiga" related as long as its ppc related, in order to gain some fresh faces on this forum. which probably is true..

Last edited by wawa on 25-Jun-2013 at 10:55 PM.

Aslak3 
Posted on 25-Jun-2013 23:04:04
#273 ]

Amiga != Linux. How the hell linux running on PPC can make linux more amiga-ish is anyone's bloody guess. Does this version of linux come with some boing ball backgrounds or something?

This is the craziest thread I've read in the 9 odd months sine I joined.

eliyahu 
Posted on 25-Jun-2013 23:05:35
#274 ]

@wawa

Quote:
apparently it does:

no, i wasn't suggesting the amiga platform needs another linux distribution to run in addition to AOS (or its various clones). not at all. but it's always nice to see another supported linux distro available for power-based hardware. that's all i meant.

-- eliyahu

wawa 
Posted on 25-Jun-2013 23:11:22
#275 ]
Elite Member

@Aslak3

Quote:
This is the craziest thread I've read in the 9 odd months sine I joined.

its pretty usual around here, just keep watching;)

blizz1220 
Posted on 25-Jun-2013 23:15:23
#276 ]

@sundown

I won't even bother reading rest of yours ramblings ...
But you are right , nobody likes me on Amigaworld so I won't post
either ... Play any way you like ;)

wawa 
Posted on 25-Jun-2013 23:25:16
#277 ]
Elite Member

@blizz1220

Quote:
nobody likes me on Amigaworld so I won't post

oh, it takes some guts to stay here, why the drama?

blizz1220 
Posted on 25-Jun-2013 23:29:13
#278 ]

@wawa

I have the guts , I don't have a stomach for it
Seems to me they will just start another war , I wasn't there for
the last one and I sure as hell won't be here for this one ...
AND I HATE BLOODY TYPING

AmigaHeretic 
Posted on 26-Jun-2013 0:10:30
#279 ]

@sundown

Quote:

sundown wrote:
@blizz1220

Quote:
And now Number 6 , you should post YOUR personal information so that those

You might do the same.

Lets see;

number6-8030 posts, 0 ARs
blizz1220-31 posts, 2 ARs

Who do you think ppl will respect more, you or him... ?

Don't wander in here & demand that ppl kiss your butt.

Really? 2 ARs? Try 21 here.

If I see 0 AR's on Amigaworld that to me is usually a sign that some has
been doing a little to much, as you say, kissing of the butt

AmigaHeretic 
Posted on 26-Jun-2013 0:17:36
#280 ]

@eliyahu

Quote:

eliyahu wrote:
but it's always nice to see another supported linux distro available for power-based hardware. that's all i meant.

-- eliyahu

Are you sure that's what it is? Honestly I'm lost, but this is what I read on their site:

Quote:
Hardware Support - We will be creating and making Amiga branded hardware for the masses. x64 based Servers, contemporary desktops and we will maintain our partnership with ASUS and bring rebranded ASUS laptops with Amiga OpenLinux and Amiga Enterprise Linux. Now, the AmigaOS 4.1, is a PowerPC based system, what we plan to do for those users is make our desktop cases in such a way, and work with PowerPC developers so that the x86 boards can be swapped out with PowerPC boards so users can use both systems whenever they wish. We will also be maintaining a close relationship with the Amiga community and expand the OS4 Marketplace so that customers can buy AmigaOS supported hardware as well.

http://www.os4online.com/

Then there latest post on June 24th:
Quote:
As we work with you to migrate from expensive and inflexible UNIX servers to the datacenter of the future, look to OS4 Enterprise Linux on x86

So can we all just start using the name and logos now then? Or is this guy special and Amigaworld is going to grant him "God" status for some strange reason?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle