Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 122 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Seiya:  29 mins ago
 matthey:  51 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 1 min ago
 vox:  2 hrs 5 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 59 mins ago
 mbrantley:  3 hrs ago
 pixie:  3 hrs 23 mins ago
 FerruleMedia:  3 hrs 31 mins ago
 amigakit:  3 hrs 45 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  3 hrs 59 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  OS4 OpenLinux: Regarding the Amiga Community
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )
PosterThread
SlayeR__ 
Re: OS4 OpenLinux: Regarding the Amiga Community
Posted on 26-Jun-2013 12:47:55
#321 ]
Cult Member

@amigadave

Quote:
I have not seen any announcement that AmigaKit and A-Eon have stopped production of the X1000 definitely.

Can you provide a link to the source of your info regarding this? If it is just your opinion that no more production runs will be made after the current X1000's that are being prepped and distributed by AmigaKit, then I might agree with you, but still, I am unaware of any official statement regarding the end of production of the X1000 by A-Eon, or AmigaKit at this time.

Trevor talked about 3 production runs at Amiwest 2012 and that there wouldnt be more, but then he said that if demand was high enough there could be more runs, and there was another run announced some time after Amiwest.

Profile     Report this post  
wawa 
Posted on 26-Jun-2013 13:02:39
#322 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

Quote:
And, NO, I don't expect anyone other than a very dedicated Amiga user with cash to burn to purchase an X1000 system. I doubt very much that any Linux users will line up to purchase an X1000, even if they were more easily available, unless they were really curious about AmigaOS4.x and wanted to buy it for that reason.

exactly what i would say.

Quote:
To answer your question: Trevor himself first stated that there would be no more production runs of the X1000 at last year's AmiWest Show, but later retracted it and left the possibility for more production runs open to the availability of A-Eon and AmigaKit being able to purchase the PA6T CPU's at acceptable prices. Thus there is an "Official" statement that production of the X1000 is continuing, but only when/if AmigaKit & A-Eon are able to find the CPU's at the right price. This I have heard in person from Trevor's own words (though he probably worded the statement a bit different and I cannot remember the exact quote of what he said).

trevor is apparently an idealist, therefore the forthcoming support for x1k against all odds. he has proven track of supporting os4, which he apparently holds for the most viable successor of what remains of amiga (hell, he tries to say its is worth the same loyality as "commodeore amiga" in his blog). he has apparently also sponsored other solutions like cloanto or tried to, like the apparent proposal to donate x1k to the morphos team. all in all i trust, trevor will do everything, use any chance to grant "amiga", what he holds for it, within available options, some further existence. he apparently runs out of such options when it comes to os4, as initiatives he has sponsored there so far have apparently failed (or got put on "backburner") (incomplete support for x1k hardware, lack of multiprocessor support, lack of 3d suport, gallium, heck, warp3d, office suite approached multiple times, what else..). so, i deem it likely that he will be attracted by idea of (at least) a proper linux distro tailored for hardware he invests in. he may even like the idea to call it "os4" or "amiga", who knows. thats all understandable.

all i dont understand is, why he did not offer a x1k to an aros developer. there are some interested so far i know. it cant be due to agreement with hyperion if even morphos was an option.

Last edited by wawa on 26-Jun-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Last edited by wawa on 26-Jun-2013 at 01:03 PM.

vox 
Posted on 26-Jun-2013 13:39:49
#323 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

If that solves the puzzle, I do have dual core i7 laptop with 4GB RAM, and am looking forward to X1000 delivery. Off course its not competitive in price/performance, but is best currently avail PowerPC system and thus AmigaOS 4 system. And only desktop computer to use PA Semi.

OlafS25 
Posted on 26-Jun-2013 13:45:57
#324 ]
Elite Member

@vox

yes but you buy it to use AmigaOS and not as a professional server system (what this linux distro is about).

number6 
Posted on 26-Jun-2013 14:17:47
#325 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:
edit: still dont know, how can i see attendance details for older threads found by search function.

Evert Carton speaks About Cooperation - Page views - 7644

(on bottom 1/2 of page)

Signal 
Posted on 26-Jun-2013 14:36:19
#326 ]
Cult Member

@RobertJDohnert

Concerning PPC Amiga equipment and OS4 Open Linux;

Will the distro for this hardware have all the tools, .config files
and most important the necessary patch files included, or available,
to the community?

P.S. I still think the (any) logo should be black & Yellow.

P.S.S. I do agree with several of the posters here that if you want
to get as much penetration into PPC as you can you should cater to
$500 x86 equipment. Works for me, and...

RobertJDohnert 
Posted on 26-Jun-2013 14:52:44
#327 ]

@vox

Im not an affiliate at all of Amiga Inc. I looked at the group, which is an Open Group that hasnt had "news" posted to it aince September 2012. There is no affiliation whatsoever.

cgutjahr 
Posted on 26-Jun-2013 15:02:13
#328 ]
Cult Member

@RobertJDohnert

Quote:

And thats your opinion,

So how would you describe what you're trying to do with the trademarks that are still owned by somebody else?

Quote:

And no, Im not using an old trademark to sell a product.

Quote from os4online.com: "We will be creating and making Amiga branded hardware for the masses".

I understand this is yesterday's business plan, so it's probably moot today.

Quote:

You will get a fully optimised, commercially supported distribution on the Amiga X1000.

Did you already find out out what the X1000 costs, and where to order one? You were still searching yesterday.

As for "fully optimised, commercially supported" distribution - I'll believe it when I see it. I'll be the first one to apologise should you ever pull that off.

Quote:

That expands A-EON's business, because they can sell machines into the Enterprise

A-EON is trying to get rid of the X1000, according to them they loose up to 500 USD per sold unit. But hey, let's not do our homework before making big announcements - because we got TRADEMARKS!!!

Quote:

that expands my business because I can sell PowerPC machines into the enterprise

Just the CPU - which is EOL, btw. - of the machine you want to support with your "fully optimised, commercially supported" distribution costs a thousand USD. I'm sure the business world can't wait to be introduced to the X1000/OS4 OpenLinux powerhouse.

But if you want to port your Ubuntu flavour to the X1000 and "optimise" it - I'm all for it. No harm done, and perhaps some X1000 users actually benefit from it.

But why exactly do you need to steal the trademarks to do that?

damocles 
Posted on 26-Jun-2013 15:30:42
#329 ]

@cgutjahr

Quote:
Did you already find out out what the X1000 costs, and where to order one? You were still searching yesterday.

He said Amiga X1000 not an AmigaOne X1000.

RobertJDohnert 
Posted on 26-Jun-2013 16:33:47
#330 ]

@cgutjahr

Quote:
Quote from os4online.com: "We will be creating and making Amiga branded hardware for the masses".

And have you read the rest of this thread, probably not. Seeing as how you have been flying off the handle about this for two days.

Quote:
But why exactly do you need to steal the trademarks to do that?

Ok man, keep saying that to yourself until you believe it, or get someone else to believe it. Which is far from the truth. Are you yet going to provide anything with substance? or just blather about. Just quit, you are embarassing yourself.

if you have anything else, quit clogging up the forums with your rant you can contact me through my e-mail.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 26-Jun-2013 16:46:49
#331 ]
Elite Member

@damocles

Yes "Amiga X1000" is not an Amiga at all, just a PC whit a Amiga name, Commodore USA tried to scam people to buying some of Linux mint distribution, instead of AmigaONE X1000, Barry Altman died and Commodore closed down, brand names where licensed from Amiga Inc.

wawa 
Posted on 26-Jun-2013 16:48:12
#332 ]
Elite Member

@damocles

Quote:
He said Amiga X1000 not an AmigaOne X1000.

interesting.

resle 
Posted on 26-Jun-2013 16:48:54
#333 ]
Cult Member

@RobertJDohnert

Once more, without (deep breath) sarcasm: can you explain to whom exactly would you target a Linux distro aimed to the $2800 Amiga X1000 given that if someone wants to run a Linux distro, he can accomplish that on $250 X86 hardware of comparable (actually better) performance?

broadblues 
Posted on 26-Jun-2013 16:49:58
#334 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@RobertJDohnert

Quote:

Ok man, keep saying that to yourself until you believe it, or get someone else to believe it. Which is far from the truth. Are you yet going to provide anything with substance? or just blather about. Just quit, you are embarassing yourself.

The only one embarrassing their self round here is you. CGutjahr is one of the most level headed in the know people around this scene (rivalled only by number6) I don't always agree with his analyses but he definetly knows his stuff.

@thread

This has to be one of the weirder sequences of threads I've come across.

1. Someone notices obscure linux distro with name coincidence
2. Shortly after maintainer of said distro denies all connection with amiga, claiming it really is just some coincidence
3. bit later more of the same
4. All of a sudden arrives here, starts randomly renaming his distro including then removing amiga references, then putting threm back again, changing logos by the hour, all spheres with varying degress of boingness

WTF?

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 26-Jun-2013 16:52:00
#335 ]
Elite Member

@RobertJDohnert

We have been plagued by Barry Altman, and Amiga Inc companies that do not have interest in the history of Amiga computer, nor any interest in AmigaOS, instead they tried to use it to sell Intent a Java like VM for mobile devices and PC's warped in plastic whit Amiga and Commodore brands stamped on.

What your Intent is we don't know, but whit all fuss and in fighting going on it hard to see how you're going to improve the situation by stamping Amiga on Linux distribution.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 26-Jun-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 26-Jun-2013 at 04:54 PM.

cgutjahr 
Posted on 26-Jun-2013 16:53:21
#336 ]
Cult Member

@RobertJDohnert

Quote:

Ok man, keep saying that to yourself until you believe it, or get someone else to believe it. Which is far from the truth. Are you yet going to provide anything with substance?

The news item on your website announcing that "OS4 Linux" will be rebranded as "Amiga Linux" reappeared after you stated in this thread that Amiga Inc. doesn't want to issue a license. That looks a lot like trying to steal the trademark. If that's not what it is, perhaps you'd like to explain what it actually is?

Quote:

And have you read the rest of this thread, probably not.

Actually, I did - which is why I pointed out that your business plan changes daily. The only constant seems to be that you want to use the Amiga trademarks.

You still didn't explain why you need that trademark, btw. You only claimed it wouldn't be for "selling product".

Quote:

quit clogging up the forums with your rant

Funny, to me it feels like you are clogging up my forums - I've been here longer than three days, you know.

Hondo 
Posted on 26-Jun-2013 16:55:07
#337 ]

@RobertJDohnert

Quote:
Ok man, keep saying that to yourself until you believe it, or get someone else to believe it. Which is far from the truth. Are you yet going to provide anything with substance? or just blather about. Just quit, you are embarassing yourself. if you have anything else, quit clogging up the forums with your rant

I actually think you come across as the embarrasing one here. Cgutjar are just pushing your buttons, and since you get rather angry, maybe he hit's a nerve ?

Istead of calling him a ranting fool who should take a hike, maybe you should adress his questions very seriously, because i think his questions is rather interesting.

In other words, he is not the only one who doesn't quite trust the motives, and need calm and serious answers.

resle 
Posted on 26-Jun-2013 16:58:21
#338 ]
Cult Member

Prophecy corner.

I foresee that in the space of some more thread pages, Robert will rage quit issuing some angry statement on how the Amiga can't be saved because everyone in the community is so, so bad - and that the community has lost a great opportunity and will regret it, etc.

Everything which relates to the drama that has beeng going on here for a few days, will be summarily wiped out from the OS4 Linux webpages as nothing ever happened. A request for deletion of Amigaworld forum account and posts will be issued as well.

This, I foresee.
OOooooommmmmm.....

Last edited by resle on 26-Jun-2013 at 05:00 PM.
Last edited by resle on 26-Jun-2013 at 04:58 PM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 26-Jun-2013 17:00:06
#339 ]
Elite Member

@resle

Yes I see that too... strange

the only thing I do not understand why people are thinking for Amiga Inc. and Hyperion. If he does not have the right to do what he does the owner of the brand can sue him. Not I, not Gutjahr, not Hondo or anyone else can. If he has the right (or gets it) to use the name we should at least wait for him to announce it and then we can still bash on it. We know nothing and already start bashing

Last edited by OlafS25 on 26-Jun-2013 at 05:05 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 26-Jun-2013 17:03:24
#340 ]
Elite Member

@RobertJDohnert

We now lots unbranded products we like get branded, but thanks to Amiga Inc holding the name, we want se Netami being renamed Amiga, MiniMig or any product being called what they should be called.

AmigaONE is used Exclusively on PowerPC branded Computers.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle