Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
20 crawler(s) on-line.
 123 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 zipper:  47 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 21 mins ago
 fatbob_gb:  2 hrs 2 mins ago
 lewishamilton0998:  2 hrs 9 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 18 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 21 mins ago
 Rob:  3 hrs 20 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  3 hrs 24 mins ago
 VooDoo:  3 hrs 29 mins ago
 agami:  4 hrs 49 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Not so Cranky A1 :-) (was "Awesome part find for my A1")
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
DWolfman 
Not so Cranky A1 (was "Awesome part find for my A1")
Posted on 5-Aug-2013 20:48:50
#1 ]

I love living next door to one of these stores: http://mokangoodwill.org/

Especially the one next to us since it's the only one with a special section they call "Computer Works".

There's all kinds of interesting electronics stuff there, mostly computer parts.

Like this weekend. I found out the stack of old USB PCI cards they had there had NEC chipsets on them. Read up on that here in the forums and on Hyperion's forums, found out there was a good chance they would work in the old A1 XE.

And it does. Flawlessly!

Plugged in my 16 GB SD card in a little USB 2.0 card reader. Copied at least a gigabytes worth of files on to and off of it, no errors. Even tested the LHA files I copied to it to make sure they were still good.

Awesome little find, for only $5.

I was a little concerned, since the numbers on the chipset weren't identical to the others I found on the forums that did work, but it apparently is "close enough".

Last edited by DWolfman on 11-Aug-2014 at 01:36 PM.
Last edited by DWolfman on 08-Aug-2013 at 01:24 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
DWolfman 
Re: Awesome part find for my A1
Posted on 5-Aug-2013 22:04:17
#2 ]

Well, this sucks.

About a half hour after I booted it up, I had another Workbench hang. Mouse would still move around but clicking did nothing, I could see LimpidClock still counting the time, and my network meter was still running.

I typically would get that happening before this card about once a day and would have to reboot the A1 to get it back.

I've tried it a couple times, each time it hung about 30 minutes after booting.

I tried moving the USB mouse and keyboard over to the new card, but it won't work in UBoot to turn off the onboard one and see if it is causing the issue by conflicting with the other card.

I've turned off the A1 until I figure out what I can do. Anyone had anything like this happen with a USB 2.0 NEC card in their A1?

DWolfman 
Posted on 5-Aug-2013 22:13:29
#3 ]

Reboot again, now the keyboard works.

I went through the UBoot prefs program to change a bunch of stuff in UBoot that I'm not using (turned off front and rear USB parts, disabled serial and parallel ports, etc). Maybe that will help?

Anyone know if it's possible to make UBoot recognize a mouse and keyboard that's plugged in through one of these NEC USB cards?

BCP 
Posted on 5-Aug-2013 23:40:57
#4 ]

@DWolfman

I have one of the "Earlybird" AmigaOne XE G3's, I always had seemingly random problems whenever I tried useing usb mouses & keyboards. Usually the mouse pointer being frozen at the upper left corner at boot. I've rarely had problems with ps2 mice & keyboards. Also,
going from USB 1.1 to 2.0 did'nt seem to make any real differance regarding mice & keyboards. I have a Belkin USB 2 card with the Nec chip, aside from the mouse issue it works fine. Do you have similar problems when using PS2 mice and/or keyboards?

Last edited by BCP on 05-Aug-2013 at 11:43 PM.

Amiga Response Crew Users Group
Indianapolis, IN USA

wawa 
Posted on 5-Aug-2013 23:47:32
#5 ]
Elite Member

@BCP

Quote:
going from USB 1.1 to 2.0 did'nt seem to make any real differance regarding mice & keyboards.

what would you expect? typing ten times faster?

Moxee 
Posted on 6-Aug-2013 0:48:06
#6 ]
Team Member

@wawa

Quote:

Quote:

going from USB 1.1 to 2.0 did'nt seem to make any real differance regarding mice & keyboards.

How is this comment being helpful?

I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

BCP 
Posted on 6-Aug-2013 0:54:32
#7 ]

@wawa

Cute...! As for mouse & keyboard, I wouldn't expect much if any difference going from USB 1.1 to USB 2, except possibly better stability.

Amiga Response Crew Users Group
Indianapolis, IN USA

scabit 
Posted on 6-Aug-2013 18:39:26
#8 ]

@DWolfman

Quote:
I found out the stack of old USB PCI cards they had there had NEC chipsets on them.

Would you be willing to sell one cheaply so I can test it on my Micro A1?
I'm curious to see if the NEC chipset USB2 cards work in the micro, especially if its one that has already been proven to work in the XE.
PM me if that is something you can sell cheap.

Thanks!

Scott

Kronos 
Posted on 6-Aug-2013 20:06:49
#9 ]
Elite Member

Don't really see the reason for all this fuzz ??

Those cards can easily be had from eBay (or even local electronic-stores) brand new and for under 10$......

_Steve_ 
Posted on 6-Aug-2013 21:31:35
#10 ]
Team Member

@Kronos

Why buy from ebay when you have a store like that around the corner? There are times I would rather just have the item in my hands from a store than risk a purchase from an unknown vendor selling an item I cannot see in the hopes it works (or indeed is what it purports to be).

Kronos 
Posted on 6-Aug-2013 22:24:16
#11 ]
Elite Member

@_Steve_

Xctly, and thats why I didn't understand scabit's request .....

danwood 
Posted on 7-Aug-2013 0:08:00
#12 ]

@DWolfman

I've tried 4 different USB 2.0 cards in my A1XE 3 of which are reported to work fine but they all exhibit regular random lock-ups when in USB 2.0 mode.

I'm still very much of the belief that USB 2.0 is still badly broken in OS4. I just comment out ehci in kicklayout and the problems go away.

scabit 
Posted on 7-Aug-2013 3:09:23
#13 ]

@Kronos

Quote:
thats why I didn't understand scabit's request .....

I can go and spend several hundred dollars picking up cheap $5 USB cards from local places, but unless one of them is proven to work in an AmigaOne (XE or micro), I will have no way to know if it will work in my machine. As pointed out in other threads elsewhere (Hyperion's forum), several people experience the problem of getting a similar card with an exact same vendor and chip that works for one person, only to find that card doesn't work for another person.
So my desire is to get a USB2.0 card that I know works in an AmigaOne XE and test it in my micro A1. That will at least give me a basis for trying to figure out what the problem is.
But if I just go and pick USB2 cards that no one has ever tested an an AmigaOne, I could buy a dozen or more before I find one that works...if I find one at all.

Make sense?

Scott

Last edited by scabit on 07-Aug-2013 at 03:10 AM.

netrot 
Posted on 7-Aug-2013 7:15:23
#14 ]

@scabit

you can try thousands of usb2 cards in the Micro, it didnt work, and this has nothing to do with OS4......Hardware Issue on the Micro

scabit 
Posted on 7-Aug-2013 15:09:49
#15 ]

@netrot

Quote:
you can try thousands of usb2 cards in the Micro, it didnt work, and this has nothing to do with OS4......Hardware Issue on the Micro

Well, that explains why nobody has ever posted on the Hyperion forums a working USB2 card for the micro. I was hoping it was just that nobody had ever discovered one.

Scott

DWolfman 
Posted on 8-Aug-2013 0:43:11
#16 ]

@BCP
Quote:

BCP wrote:
@DWolfman

I have one of the "Earlybird" AmigaOne XE G3's, I always had seemingly random problems whenever I tried useing usb mouses & keyboards. Usually the mouse pointer being frozen at the upper left corner at boot. I've rarely had problems with ps2 mice & keyboards. Also,
going from USB 1.1 to 2.0 did'nt seem to make any real differance regarding mice & keyboards. I have a Belkin USB 2 card with the Nec chip, aside from the mouse issue it works fine. Do you have similar problems when using PS2 mice and/or keyboards?

Well, at least PS/2 keyboards let me recover my uboot settings. I had wiped my boot partition after making a backup and did a clean install of 4.1 update 1, then loaded everything through update 6. Had a hard time finding one I could use. Ended up using one of the USB keyboards I had and one of those USB to ps/2 mouse adapters. Turns out they are the same as the ones for a keyboard, just a different color.

Problem is I have a KVM switch that is USB only for the mouse/keyboard part.

I still had hangs at times after reloading OS4, but it seems to be better now that I've Removed half the boards from the A1. I took out the Sii0680 card and went back to the on-board IDE, unplugged the Iomega Zip 250 drive and the floppy drive, then put the USB 2.0 card in where the 0680 card was. It's been on for a bit now and no hangs so far (typing this in OWB on it right now), so hopefully it will be more stable now.

I'm thinking it's time to start saving for either an X1000 or one of the Sam boards. I don't think this A1 will be around much longer.

DWolfman 
Posted on 8-Aug-2013 0:48:47
#17 ]

@wawa

Quote:

wawa wrote:
@BCP

Quote:

LOL! If only!

DWolfman 
Posted on 8-Aug-2013 0:50:36
#18 ]

@Kronos

Quote:

Kronos wrote:
Don't really see the reason for all this fuzz ??

Those cards can easily be had from eBay (or even local electronic-stores) brand new and for under 10$......

Ebay you pay shipping, means it costs more than that.

This store is within walking distance (I can be there in less than 5 minutes), and the cards are only $5 each.

DWolfman 
Posted on 8-Aug-2013 0:56:28
#19 ]

@scabit

Quote:

scabit wrote:
@netrot

Quote:

Well, that explains why nobody has ever posted on the Hyperion forums a working USB2 card for the micro. I was hoping it was just that nobody had ever discovered one.

Scott

I was about to say I could get another one and send it your way, but it looks like you won't be needing it now.

I'm even more of the opinion now that our boards were half-a**ed attempts at making a working board, considering how many problems they had to start with (DMA issue with IDE controller and no termination resistors on the USB lines for my XE, plus non-working on board audio, etc).

DWolfman 
Cranky A1 (was "Awesome part find for my A1")
Posted on 8-Aug-2013 1:25:17
#20 ]

@DWolfman

And it locked up again.

Only made it an hour and 9 minutes.

Last edited by DWolfman on 08-Aug-2013 at 01:26 AM.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle