Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 117 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Seiya:  1 hr 17 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 39 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 49 mins ago
 vox:  2 hrs 54 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 47 mins ago
 mbrantley:  3 hrs 49 mins ago
 pixie:  4 hrs 12 mins ago
 FerruleMedia:  4 hrs 20 mins ago
 amigakit:  4 hrs 33 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  4 hrs 48 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  HP 2600n+F380 as a copying machine?
Register To Post

PosterThread
PR 
HP 2600n+F380 as a copying machine?
Posted on 9-Jan-2014 0:28:33
#1 ]

Hi. Not relating much at the Amiga. (Well having a HP DeskJet 560Colour back then.. wow. at the garage etc for the A500/A1200 for Turboprint BUT:

I have the same problem which is very disturbing thing as everyone maybe have noticed again that the inks last "as long as the tail light's go away".

The LaserJet Colour has been for years in use and a month maybe without use and works everytime like new. Offcourse it cost a lot but there is no problem like with this DeskjetF380.

Just Thought how it could be made possible to use it just as a scanner to the Laser easily? Did it when there was ink via a pc but now when it is empty even I put a new not original one I think these are just programmed for buy more ink from HP.

Not my professionality.

So sad to junk these off. The 560C Cost sooo much and lasted a 10 times or more but these just suck our "grandmothers" what I see they use.

So simply said: A Scanner from this to the laser or any compatible used only scanner to the other eth port in the Laser?

I bet You say just get a copying machine;) We do have a few at work but once in a while I need to take a copy at home if there is -35C outside and I'm not so keen to try to brake my car (or loose my license) just for one paper.

My friend gave this working F380 for free when He moved away that made copies after realizing it had to be refilled really often. Then these dry up easily. Tried the moist paper&old tricks.

Ideas? / Trash the enviroment wasting thingie?

Last edited by PR on 09-Jan-2014 at 12:31 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
olegil 
Re: HP 2600n+F380 as a copying machine?
Posted on 9-Jan-2014 9:15:21
#2 ]
Elite Member

@PR

Using it as a standalone copier won't be possible, but I bet something like a Raspberry Pi can be set up as a scanner and printer server that will do it.

I found this:
http://poingg.com/35630.html

Which, while talking about MacOS and using only one device which is both printer AND scanner, actually should be generic enough for you.

Of course, you shouldn't need a Pi just for this if you have a Linux machine, but a Pi costs little in terms of money, space and electricity. As such, it's pretty much ideal for the job.

Some simple buttons could be added to a Pi to do things like destination: email/USB/network/paper.

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

PR 
Posted on 9-Jan-2014 9:24:20
#3 ]

@olegil

A bit too complicated over as it is allready.

There might be a way the thing thinks the ink casettes are full and use it as a scanner tho.

IMO it's stupid that scanning is not possible without ink!

HP can go back from were they came from if this is not just my own stupidness just not how to use it..

olegil 
Posted on 9-Jan-2014 9:30:57
#4 ]
Elite Member

@PR

Ok, I didn't catch that scanning stopped working once ink ran out. That is just silly, and I would scavenge a few motors (if you're not interested in them skip to the end) and then bin the darn thing. An ok flatbed scanner can be had for about sixty euros.

My wife dragged home a lexmark all-in-one that I was hoping to use as a dedicated scanner (alongside my flatbed, cause I have a LOT of old pictures to scan), have to check if it has the same problem.

Edit: btw, there's a claim that scanning from the PC will work without ink: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101010145255AAMQebd

Are you sure you've tried it properly?

Last edited by olegil on 09-Jan-2014 at 09:38 AM.

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

PR 
Posted on 9-Jan-2014 9:51:14
#5 ]

Installed the HP All In One Proggy again so It is possible to Scan Offcourse but not very convenient when making a fast copy.

Please wait for an half an hour for Windows to boot -style;)

olegil 
Posted on 9-Jan-2014 13:51:34
#6 ]
Elite Member

@PR

But if you CAN scan now from the PC, I would investigatethe RPi solution. I think you could have a very good setup with that. Near instant on, possible to access web gui from anywhere in the house

PR 
Posted on 9-Jan-2014 23:10:18
#7 ]

@olegil

Just waiting for the all in One Megabig Colour xxx (Not laser as it's old stuff).

Not going 3D yet.

I think the Jet has been worthwhile. Just changed 4 cartiges x 80€:s

Non HP as they are more expensive. These just last forever.

Lot's of time to get the newer ones cheap enough. 5 years?

When making the tax stuff for 2013 I'm ok that it's possible to make a copy somehow again from a receipt or some hand written stuff and most importantly not buying more irrelevant mickey mouse drops of ink that wears out if You wanna empty Your Camera photos just for fun in the meanwhile and forget about the printer for a few months. (The newer don't dry so soon but still)

I think the 2600n:s other port (eth) is then useless or any chance to put it on the XE and get it to work plug&play style like in the good old Amigadays nearly?

Last edited by PR on 09-Jan-2014 at 11:20 PM.
Last edited by PR on 09-Jan-2014 at 11:16 PM.

olegil 
Posted on 10-Jan-2014 9:51:50
#8 ]
Elite Member

@PR

I'm sorry, I do not understand what you are writing here.

Could you try to draw what you have connected now?

I would put F380 on a Pi, and 2600n on ethernet. Pi would be scanner server, 2600n has its own printer server. I discovered the lexmark all-in-one my wife scavenged had wifi, so in my case it's the other way around. I need a Pi as printer server for a USB printer and can hopefully use the wifi-scanner as-is. But knowing lexmark there might be some windows-software necessary.

olegil 
Posted on 10-Jan-2014 10:00:55
#9 ]
Elite Member

@PR

Btw, you can always ask me in swedish through PM if you're one of the bilingual Finnish

PR 
Posted on 24-Mar-2014 22:21:27
#10 ]

Old stuff but I can Scan to the PC and print with the laser, easily. No need to buy expensive HP ink for copying. The laser seems to last forever and those are changed once offcourse with filled up and printing big colour pictures a lot.

Olegil, I don't know any Swedish but the problem is solved. Do You speak Finnish?

Last edited by PR on 24-Mar-2014 at 10:22 PM.
Last edited by PR on 24-Mar-2014 at 10:22 PM.

olegil 
Posted on 27-Mar-2014 8:28:42
#11 ]
Elite Member

@PR

Nope, when I finish I usually just roll over and fall asleep

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle