Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
22 crawler(s) on-line.
 100 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

Comi,  Gunnar

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Comi:  25 secs ago
 Gunnar:  3 mins ago
 amigakit:  21 mins ago
 vox:  46 mins ago
 zipper:  49 mins ago
 kolla:  56 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 BigD:  1 hr 53 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 55 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  2 hrs 26 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga PPC Linux
      /  Beginner on AmigaOne XE Linux
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread
Hypex 
Re: Beginner on AmigaOne XE Linux
Posted on 19-Jan-2015 13:43:58
#61 ]
Elite Member

@Geri

Wow this really took off for a bit.

Quote:
You know: make the common case fast (or easy in our case) and the rare case correct (or don't mess it up in our case).

Can understand you there. I can leave it up to the user who would then need to do some more slightly technical stuff.

Or install it from Linux like the Sam installer by calling a command from a script.

Was thinking I could add another menu option to the boot menu. Then install from the SLB or in Linux if selected.

Quote:
True, a script is much better in this case.

I think it would fit nicely in here:
bootcmd=menu; run menuboot_cmd

Quote:
But Apple usually does it's own thing and makes things different...

When they went to the dark side they made a clean break.

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean with a mountpoint off a device, but a mountpoint always has to be within the scope of the root file system.

What I meant was pointing it to a folder of a device. Let's have an example. Say I want to mount /boot on /dev/sda1 but have it point to the boot folder. That is I want /boot to be mounted at /dev/sda1/boot if that nakes sense?

Let's say /dev/sda1 has been mounted to /a1boot. (Yes bad choice there.) Well I want /boot to be then mounted to /a1boot/boot. IOW mounted to a folder of a device, instead of the root F/S of a device. That's what I am wondering.

Quote:
What would this be needed for?

So the user could use a menu option dedicated to mounting the boot volume. Not need to enter anything in. And it would be set to the correct point. Plus I think it would be neat.

Quote:
That's the plan!

Before Christmas catches up again.

Last edited by Hypex on 09-Feb-2017 at 02:40 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
Geri 
Posted on 25-Jan-2015 14:20:54
#62 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:

Hypex wrote:
@Geri

Wow this really took off for a bit.

Yeah, off-topic.

Quote:
Quote:
You know: make the common case fast (or easy in our case) and the rare case correct (or don't mess it up in our case).

Can understand you there. I can leave it up to the user who would then need to do some more slightly technical stuff.

Or install it from Linux like the Sam installer by calling a command from a script.

Well, if they're doing it without breaking anything, then why not.

Quote:
Was thinking I could add another menu option to the boot menu. Then install from the SLB or in Linux if selected.

So the SLB to be installed would be choosen in the boot menu?

Quote:
I think it would fit nicely in here:
bootcmd=menu; run menuboot_cmd

Absolutey!

Quote:
Quote:
But Apple usually does it's own thing and makes things different...

When they went to the dark side they made a clean break.

And still did their own thing by using EFI in 32 bit mode even on 64 bit CPUs and a HFS partition to store the bootloader.

Quote:
What I meant was pointing it to a folder of a device. Let's have an example. Say I want to mount /boot on /dev/sda1 but have it point to the boot folder. That is I want /boot to be mounted at /dev/sda1/boot if that nakes sense?

You can somewhat emulate this using bind mounts, but still /dev/sda1 needs to be mounted somewhere else for its boot folder being visible.

Quote:
Let's say /dev/sda1 has been mounted to /a1boot. (Yes bas choice there.) Well I want /boot to be then mounted to /a1boot/boot. IOW mounted to a folder of a device, instead of the root F/S of a device. That's what I am wondering.

Yes, that would work with a bind mount:

$ mount /dev/sda1 /a1boot/
$ ls /a1boot
boot
$ mount --bind /a1boot/boot/ /boot/

I specifically choose NOT to do that for the "a1boot" partition, because then all the kernel files from different installations would reside in one boot folder and thus one installation could possibly overwrite the kernel of another installation. The bootloader scripts however cleanly separate all the boot images by using an UUID-named folder for the individual installations.

Quote:
Quote:
What would this be needed for?

So the user could use a menu option dedicated to mounting the boot volume. Not need to enter anything in. And it would be set to the correct point. Plus I think it would be neat.

Well, specifying the a1boot volume in the boot menu (if you mean that) would also work with the current scheme, as the user anyway has to setup the partitions under OS4 beforehand (parted may destroy the RDB). Also the a1boot volume has to be reformatted automatically afterwards.
The question is: what is the correct point? With the scheme used by the bootloader scripts we have two individual boot volumes: one for the installation and the other one for the slb_v2. Well, only the latter actually happens to be used, but for the reason mentioned above /boot is not necessarily the correct mount-point for a1boot/boot.

Quote:
Quote:
That's the plan!

Before Christmas catches up again.

Let's see!

Last edited by Geri on 26-Jan-2015 at 07:04 AM.

- A1 Linux support -

Hypex 
Posted on 11-Feb-2015 13:35:45
#63 ]
Elite Member

@Geri

Quote:

In my friends case it broke his system and OS4 wouldn't boot. Bit strange really, an OS4 bootloader that doesn't support a generic FFS2 partition.

Quote:

Yes. It could also be installed from the SLB. UBoot supports block writing.

Quote:
You can somewhat emulate this using bind mounts,

I thought it might. Of course I wanted to mount it all in one line.

Quote:
I specifically choose NOT to do that for the "a1boot" partition

I suppose the system would fail if a1boot volume was not mounted and /boot didn't point to /a1boot/boot hypothetically.

Quote:
Well, specifying the a1boot volume in the boot menu (if you mean that) would also work with the current scheme

Yes I meant that. Where the proper boot mount point could be selected. The same as root volume can be selected.

Quote:
The question is: what is the correct point? With the scheme used by the bootloader scripts we have two individual boot volumes: one for the installation and the other one for the slb_v2

Obvious to me, the correct mount point in this case is /boot/a1boot. Now just need to find and modify that text in the installer and I can move on.

Last edited by Hypex on 09-Feb-2017 at 02:42 AM.

Geri 
Posted on 13-Feb-2015 16:16:16
#64 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:
Hypex wrote:
@Geri

Quote:

In my friends case it broke his system and OS4 wouldn't boot. Bit strange really, an OS4 bootloader that doesn't support a generic FFS2 partition.

That's the worst case scenario.

Quote:
Quote:

Yes. It could also be installed from the SLB. UBoot supports block writing.

That sounds easy. But I'm afraid that the user is left behind with an unbootable system, if something goes wrong during the Linux installation. IMHO it would be better, if the installation of the bootloader and the setup of the correct boot config is being done in one step by the installer. Unlike u-boot and SLB the installer can offer the tools to fix a broken bootloader installation.

Quote:
I thought it might. Of course I wanted to mount it all in one line.

I think a one liner for this is not even possible in AmigaOS. Except that partitions are usually automounted under AmigaOS...then "Assign BOOT: ..." would be enough.

Quote:
I suppsoe the system would fail if a1boot volume was not mounted and /boot didn't point to /a1boot/boot hypothetically.

It would only fail for kernel installations/upgrades or changes to the boot entries. But it would not fail to boot the Linux installation, as long as the a1boot partition exists somewhere. The other problems can easily be fixed, if the system is still bootable.

Quote:
Quote:
Well, specifying the a1boot volume in the boot menu (if you mean that) would also work with the current scheme

Yes I meant that. Where the proper boot mount point could be selected. The same as root volume can be selected.

Are we talking about the a1boot volume or its mount point now?

- A1 Linux support -

Hypex 
Posted on 9-Feb-2017 2:58:50
#65 ]
Elite Member

@Geri

Quote:
MHO it would be better, if the installation of the bootloader and the setup of the correct boot config is being done in one step by the installer. Unlike u-boot and SLB the installer can offer the tools to fix a broken bootloader installation.

Well yes that would just as easy. Just need to script an interface for that option. And then do the code to write it in.

Quote:
I think a one liner for this is not even possible in AmigaOS.

No not without a DOS driver file. Then a Mount command can be issued. In this way Linux is easier to mount devices with. Sorry, devices aren't mounted, I mean mounting a filesystem to a device.

But in any case I was only thinking of Linux AFAIK.

Quote:

Both. But more specially the mount point.

The device point can be selected from a list. And then the "/boot" line needs changing to "/boot/a1boot".

Geri 
Posted on 9-Feb-2017 10:26:09
#66 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Huh!? What were we talking about here!?

Quote:
Hypex wrote:
@Geri

Quote:
MHO it would be better, if the installation of the bootloader and the setup of the correct boot config is being done in one step by the installer. Unlike u-boot and SLB the installer can offer the tools to fix a broken bootloader installation.

Well yes that would just as easy. Just need to script an interface for that option. And then do the code to write it in.

Usually it already helps, if you can boot into a rescue shell with the installer and use its tools to fix the bootloader. Basically the update-amigaos4-slb command would be all you need then to fix the boot entries (as long as the bootloader in the RDB isn't destroyed)

Quote:
No not without a DOS driver file. Then a Mount command can be issued. In this way Linux is easier to mount devices with. Sorry, devices aren't mounted, I mean mounting a filesystem to a device.

But in any case I was only thinking of Linux AFAIK.

Okay.

Quote:
Quote:

Both. But more specially the mount point.

The device point can be selected from a list. And then the "/boot" line needs changing to "/boot/a1boot".

I'm afraid I still don't get your point: why you would like to change the /boot line to /boot/a1boot? What would be the advantage?

- A1 Linux support -

Hypex 
Posted on 9-Feb-2017 13:45:56
#67 ]
Elite Member

@Geri

Quote:
Huh!? What were we talking about here!?

Well it has been a couple of years and I found this today. But it seems to be a discussion about the A1 boot volume.

Quote:
Basically the update-amigaos4-slb command would be all you need then to fix the boot entries (as long as the bootloader in the RDB isn't destroyed)

And boot volume is not corrupted.

Quote:
I'm afraid I still don't get your point: why you would like to change the /boot line to /boot/a1boot? What would be the advantage? :-

The advantage would be the user would select the menu option in the partitioner to specify and mount the boot volume which would be preset to the A1 boot mount point.

So there was no confusion. The static files of the boot loader. As it is the Debian installer uses the "/boot" point to mount a boot volume.

AFAIK, at least when I tried, a label can't be set when specifying a partition to use in the partitioner. Otherwise "a1boot" could also be set. But since it hard to format a partition without mounting it perhaps that doesn't matter.

Geri 
Posted on 21-Feb-2017 18:22:17
#68 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:
Hypex wrote:
@Geri

Well it has been a couple of years and I found this today. But it seems to be a discussion about the A1 boot volume.

Indeed!

Quote:
Quote:
I'm afraid I still don't get your point: why you would like to change the /boot line to /boot/a1boot? What would be the advantage? :-

The advantage would be the user would select the menu option in the partitioner to specify and mount the boot volume which would be preset to the A1 boot mount point.

So basically you would like to have a /boot/a1boot entry in the partitioner's list of known mount points, right?

Quote:
So there was no confusion. The static files of the boot loader. As it is the Debian installer uses the "/boot" point to mount a boot volume.

AFAIK, at least when I tried, a label can't be set when specifying a partition to use in the partitioner. Otherwise "a1boot" could also be set. But since it hard to format a partition without mounting it perhaps that doesn't matter.

True, I wouldn't know of a way to specify a label in the partitioner.

- A1 Linux support -

Morphix 
Posted on 22-Feb-2017 2:55:18
#69 ]

Nice to see my ancient topic going alive again.

Will soon have an AmigaOne XE board again. So I am ready for some more testing.

I have managed to install Linux on my previous XE board. Thanks to Hypex CDs and help.

@Hypex

Lets get back in business.

Sam 440EP, AmigaOne XE,
MacMini PPC, PowerMac G4, G5

Geri 
Posted on 22-Feb-2017 11:16:15
#70 ]
Elite Member

@Morphix

Quote:
Morphix wrote:
Nice to see my ancient topic going alive again.

Will soon have an AmigaOne XE board again. So I am ready for some more testing.

I have managed to install Linux on my previous XE board. Thanks to Hypex CDs and help.

Good to see that there are still first-gen AmigaOne users interested in running Linux on these machines.

- A1 Linux support -

Hypex 
Posted on 24-Feb-2017 12:48:51
#71 ]
Elite Member

@Geri

Quote:
So basically you would like to have a /boot/a1boot entry in the partitioner's list of known mount points, right?

Yes that was it.

Quote:

Should be possible when formatting. Would be good to also do from Workbench but that doesn't matter.

Either way the installer looks for an "a1boot" just in case.

Hypex 
Posted on 24-Feb-2017 13:22:00
#72 ]
Elite Member

@Morphix

Yes it's been a few years. So yes time for business. As the moment there's a slight issue with the video driver.

daveyw 
Posted on 24-Feb-2017 17:52:19
#73 ]

@Geri

I bought my A1 XE second hand 10 years ago, and the previous owner had set up a Linux partition. I played with it a few times, but never really got into it.

After I changed the GFX card, it ceased to boot, and I never really investigated why. Eventually, I reformatted the partition and used it for something else.

Late last year I tried to get Linux running again, but only managed to stuff up my uboot settings. If there were some easy instuctions and a boot disc to download, that would tempt me to try again.

A1200T 40Mhz 68040, OS 3.9

Geri 
Posted on 25-Feb-2017 11:06:37
#74 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:
Hypex wrote:
@Geri

Quote:

Yes that was it.

Now I hopefully got it!

Well, if adding such a list entry is not possible, then you could certainly reuse the "/boot" list entry for the a1boot partition and fix the /boot mount point entry in /etc/fstab later on (plus some other things).

The "a1boot" filesystem label was intended to simplify the identification of an existing a1boot partition so that it can be automatically preset for an installation. Because e.g. in case of a second Linux installation the installer has to make use of the existing a1boot partition and should not reformat it.

Quote:
Quote:

Should be possible when formatting. Would be good to also do from Workbench but that doesn't matter.

Right, it is possible to set a label when formatting. "tune2fs" also allows to set a label later on.

Quote:
Either way the installer looks for an "a1boot" just in case.

Perfect!

- A1 Linux support -

Geri 
Posted on 25-Feb-2017 11:10:36
#75 ]
Elite Member

@daveyw

Quote:
daveyw wrote:
@Geri

I bought my A1 XE second hand 10 years ago, and the previous owner had set up a Linux partition. I played with it a few times, but never really got into it.

After I changed the GFX card, it ceased to boot, and I never really investigated why. Eventually, I reformatted the partition and used it for something else.

Late last year I tried to get Linux running again, but only managed to stuff up my uboot settings. If there were some easy instuctions and a boot disc to download, that would tempt me to try again.

That's what brave Hypex is working on. Plus he makes use of the ub2lb bootloader for his install images - thus there should be no need anymore to mess with a lot of U-Boot settings.

- A1 Linux support -

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle