Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
27 crawler(s) on-line.
 68 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 JimS:  26 mins ago
 Hans:  40 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 agami:  1 hr 42 mins ago
 A1200:  1 hr 43 mins ago
 Kremlar:  2 hrs 3 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 11 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 46 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  3 hrs 56 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  3 hrs 56 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Amigacoin
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
dipsomania 
Amigacoin
Posted on 16-Mar-2014 11:32:56
#1 ]

Hello,
I am an Amiga fan since '90s and it is the first time that I write here. So, I started to look Bitcoin world in these months and I thought that may be useful for Amiga community. Therefore I made a (Litecoin) clone called Amigacoin to support our lovely platform. You can read more here: www.amigacoin.org
Sorry for crappy graphic, but I am only a programmer.
Now there are only executables and sources for Linux and Windows, very soon it will be available for Mac OS X and I also hope for Amiga in the future, but I think there are some difficult libraries to convert (Boost and Berkeley DB).
If someone wants some Amigacoins, write me privately.

Profile     Report this post  
pavlor 
Re: Amigacoin
Posted on 16-Mar-2014 11:43:28
#2 ]
Elite Member

@dipsomania

Welcome!

QuBe 
Posted on 16-Mar-2014 12:26:40
#3 ]

@dipsomania

Welcome dipsomania. Interesting! I had thought of doing something similar but did not have the programming knowledge to create and execute an Alt Coin.

I had mentioned to the community here about the Bitcoin revolution and was wondering if crypto currency wallets could be developed/converted to work on os3.x and os4.x. Surely some in the Amiga community are interested in crypto?

Originally I had asked the community about hardware for mining crypto currencies using the Amiga. I guess if an Os4.x machine could use the latest and greatest ATI GPu cards then in essence we could mine on an Amiga. We just need to have the relevant miner scripts such as CGMiner to work on an Amiga Platform and the drivers of course.

This would quite a bit of work to say the least so I guess it would be a long shot for the community to get all the necessary components done to make a crypto ecosystem viable on our platform.

The problem with mining Amiga Coins though is to make sure you have enough miners joining the mining pool to make it viable, especially when the difficult rate starts to increase,

You also have to make it popular enough so Amiga Coins are tradable on a crypto exchange, and there are not many exchanges that will just take on any Altcoin. Maybe CRYPTSY (www.cryptsy.com) would, they seem to list all of them as they come out.

I think Amigans who are interested in mining Amiga Coins would probably want to do it on their Amiga's and not on a PC. So until we get the relevant supporting software to make it viable on the Amiga platform it may not be viable for Amigans...

You would also need to get AmigaKit, Hyperion, Trevor Dick on board to make it a mainstay for the community...

All the best with this, Q!

"I am home"

g0blin 
Posted on 16-Mar-2014 12:26:40
#4 ]
Cult Member

@dipsomania

Wow, cool!
Congrats, mate.

Cybersphere Page

Belxjander 
Posted on 16-Mar-2014 12:48:54
#5 ]
Cult Member

@dipsomania:

Is it a Litecoin clone? I would have cloned off the latest bitcoin instead myself.

And I am definitely interested.

@QuBe:

I have programming knowledge and looked at what is required...

GPU mining is on the way out for the most part.
CPU mining is already completely out.

FPGA mining and ASIC mining of BitCoin/LiteCoin is pretty much the options presently.

It isn't the portation of boost which is the issue but the posix threads and posix compliance being assumed when the AmigaOS(and children) have a radically different(and simpler) execution mechanism.

I've also been reading about Linux Kernel programming and that is the closest equivalent to AmigaOS programming on Linux/Windows/Mac I have seen.

dipsomania 
Posted on 17-Mar-2014 20:46:53
#6 ]

@QuBe

Hello, thank you for the reply. Yes, you're right, there are many obstacles to overcome in order to convert it on Amiga PPC platforms. First all code in based on little-endian stuffs, some guys did an Apple Mac PPC version of Bitcoin some years ago, but this client is a fork of Litecoin, so we need to rewrite it. Next we should have a real support of latest ATI Radeon HD and a porting of OpenCL (I think there isn't that yet).
I want to wait some weeks/months to advertise it outside our community, because most people who mine/exchange these cryptocurrencies are interested only in profit and speculation, and I'd like that every Amiga users have some Amigacoins. I don't understand why many Amiga fans have criticized me heavily in other forums and privately, it's just a little idea to support our platform using a cutting-edge and a bit still "green" technology that may be very useful.

dipsomania 
Posted on 17-Mar-2014 20:56:37
#7 ]

@Belxjander

Hello, yes, it's a Litecoin clone... I chose it because you just need a good gfx card like ATI Radeon HD to mine and many Amiga users have it. Instead, Bitcoin based cryptocurrencies need an ASIC (not very cheapy device) as you know.
Yes, Boost library is another big problem to resolve on Amiga.
Maybe in the future I'll try to make a porting on AROS - I don't have an AmigaPPC and spare time at the moment.

billt 
Posted on 17-Mar-2014 21:59:12
#8 ]
Elite Member

@dipsomania

So, is this just a pool of LiteCoin miners, a client for AmigaOS to do mining and a wallet in Amiga and -alike computers, or is this a complete fork of LiteCoin where only we Amiga and -alike fans will have coins, and no one outside of the Amiga community has anything to do with this?

dipsomania 
Posted on 17-Mar-2014 22:30:54
#9 ]

@billt

Yep, it's only a fork of Litecoin for Amiga fans as you said, it has been posted on Amiga forums and no one outside knows about this new "currency" at the moment.

klx300r 
Posted on 18-Mar-2014 0:34:05
#10 ]
Elite Member

@dipsomania

Interesting concept & welcome aboard

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

BigD 
Posted on 18-Mar-2014 1:47:35
#11 ]
Elite Member

@dipsomania

I'm quite happy with Pound Sterling to be honest. Using spare CPU/GPU cycles to harvest bitcoins (or the Amiga equivalent) is a sound way to shorten the life of your computer. I remember all those Cyberstorm/ Blizzard PPC owners that were conned in to competing in those computer folding competitions in the 90's wearing out their hyper-expensive boards just to bump the Amiga folding team up the table!! This doesn't seem any better

Looks like wasting Amiga processing power for folding was a talking point as recently as 2008!!

http://www.amiga.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-39271.html

QuBe 
Posted on 18-Mar-2014 3:14:15
#12 ]

@BigD

To some extent you are right BigD, but in todays world of crypto mining it is not so much the destruction of your CPU, but rather the problem of overheating and destroying your GPU. However with proper management this can be avoided by running the GPU card at around 85% capacity.

Alternatively you can purchase dedicated mining hardware like ASIC miners which use FPGA or ASIC chips specifically designed and cooled for mining for insane hashing rates. These boxes usually run Linux and it is a plug in and play system for the most part.

I think AmigaCoins (or AmiCoins) are a good idea, it just needs wide adoption by the community.

What is appealing here is the online market place and the minimal transaction fees associated with using an alt coin to make online purchases with. This makes international buy/sell within the Amiga market very cheap indeed, and could lower the cost of some Amiga items by saving on bank transfer fees.

Q!

"I knew this would turn out to be a strange decade when I saw a Sheep walking backwards in New Zealand"

Last edited by QuBe on 18-Mar-2014 at 03:32 PM.
Last edited by QuBe on 18-Mar-2014 at 03:25 AM.
Last edited by QuBe on 18-Mar-2014 at 03:24 AM.
Last edited by QuBe on 18-Mar-2014 at 03:23 AM.

QuBe 
Posted on 18-Mar-2014 3:22:09
#13 ]

@dipsomania

I think to make AmigaCoins popular it would be interesting to mimic what Iceland has done with Aurora coins.

http://auroracoin.org/

Essentially, a specified amount of coins have been pre-mined and given away for free to the people of Iceland who want them.

This is to kickstart their use. Similarly, the Amiga community could come together and pre-mine AmigaCoins, and then hand out coin parcels to users - maybe a token of up to $10 per coin parcel.

The problem with pre-mining the coins is that it requires power, and a lot of it. Where the community "pays" is through the money being payed to the electricity company. So essentially, if you give away free AmigaCoins you are giving away money as you still have to pay for the power to mine the coins.

Either way, to get traction with AmigaCoin some of the bigger Amiga community business leaders would need to put their weight behind it I would think...

Q!

"I knew this would turn out to be a strange decade when I saw a Sheep walking backwards in New Zealand"

Last edited by QuBe on 18-Mar-2014 at 03:32 PM.
Last edited by QuBe on 18-Mar-2014 at 03:27 AM.
Last edited by QuBe on 18-Mar-2014 at 03:27 AM.
Last edited by QuBe on 18-Mar-2014 at 03:26 AM.
Last edited by QuBe on 18-Mar-2014 at 03:22 AM.

g_kraszewski 
Posted on 18-Mar-2014 14:34:48
#14 ]

@QuBe

I think to make AmigaCoins popular it would be interesting to mimic what Iceland has done with Aurora coins.

In fact Aurora has been created by some shady company based in Panama, all this Iceland stuff is their hype. As for AmigaCoin, why not, we have at least a few such coins emerging every week and dying a few months later, another one cannot make a difference...

QuBe 
Posted on 18-Mar-2014 15:31:26
#15 ]

@g_kraszewski

Yup, but who will pay the electric bill for pre-mining the precious numbers?

Actually, this crypto lark would go down well with Greens... use renewables to feed power to the servers for free, mine and "print" free money...

Q!

Last edited by QuBe on 18-Mar-2014 at 03:36 PM.
Last edited by QuBe on 18-Mar-2014 at 03:33 PM.

dipsomania 
Posted on 18-Mar-2014 21:24:48
#16 ]

@QuBe

Yes, I thought that about a likeness between Auroracoin and Amigacoin. For this reason I pre-mined a lot of Amigacoins (many thousands blocks, every block has 100-1000 coins) and as I wrote above, everyone can ask me freely someone. However, my electric bill is still cheapy (I don't notice any changing) since last November when I started mining these cryptocoins (Bitcoin, Litecoin, Dogecoin, etc.), every day (9 AM to 12 PM); I have a "normal" PC with AMD FX-6300 (overclocked to 4.3 GHz) and one Radeon 7870 XT. Obviously if you have a farm with tens Radeon 7990 then expected to have more expensive bills.

Last edited by dipsomania on 18-Mar-2014 at 10:03 PM.

tygre 
Posted on 19-Mar-2014 9:18:00
#17 ]

@dipsomania and thread!

Welcome Dipsomania!

Interesting idea but for the AmigaCoins to be used, they need a value: how could the community decide the value? An interesting example is available on ArsTechnica but they "closed" their market for education... the values of other altcoins vary a lot!

dipsomania 
Posted on 19-Mar-2014 10:44:46
#18 ]

@tygre

Yes, right, next weeks I'll try to get in touch some markets.

KimmoK 
Posted on 19-Mar-2014 10:58:31
#19 ]
Elite Member

@dipsomania

Other than that, the bitcoing whatever thingy is new to me, so I did not understand a thing...
For evening readings:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptocurrency

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

klx300r 
Posted on 19-Mar-2014 13:19:33
#20 ]
Elite Member

@dipsomania

hmm my PC doesn't have an Radeon HD but an older Nvidia GT610 so is it worth trying since it's a min case and small form video card do I have to worry about over heating etc

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle