Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
17 crawler(s) on-line.
 139 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 37 mins ago
 amigakit:  3 hrs 10 mins ago
 Hammer:  4 hrs ago
 Rob:  4 hrs 38 mins ago
 billt:  4 hrs 46 mins ago
 amigang:  4 hrs 56 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  4 hrs 59 mins ago
 agami:  5 hrs 22 mins ago
 matthey:  5 hrs 29 mins ago
 kolla:  5 hrs 36 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Seen this yet?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
Arko 
Re: Seen this yet?
Posted on 31-Mar-2014 10:00:37
#41 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:

not just a 3d object printed on a 3d printer, anyone whit a 3d printer can do that.

This is no more Amiga then a PC whit a Catweasel mk4, and WinUAE is more Amiga compatible :-/

It is interesting how many people believe, an Amiga is a home computer in a beige bulky wedge case with built in keyboard and faked cowling slits.

Some people are claiming an Amiga is a computer built around a certain type of chipset.

And I have heard about people who think an Amiga is an OS bound to a dieing CPU architecture.

Interesting views when the last existing owner of the Amiga licence claims something different.

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

Profile     Report this post  
ExiE 
Posted on 31-Mar-2014 10:32:58
#42 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:

NutsAboutAmiga wrote:
@ExiE

Quote:
I would even say the best of all minimig and other FPGA based Amiga retro machines around.

That's disrespectful to MiniMig, and FPGA Arcade, where you have full hardware implementation in a FPGA. Real work was done to make MiniMig, not just a 3d object printed on a 3d printer, anyone whit a 3d printer can do that.

The Armiga is just a "raspberry pi" + "Floppy controller" + "Box"

This is no more Amiga then a PC whit a Catweasel mk4, and WinUAE is more Amiga compatible :-/

Trolling for fun? I was specifically talking about DESIGN OF THE BOX, not the insides but you quoted only the misleading part, do you?
The design is honoring true old Amiga look and looks really good. And no, not everybody could do it.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 31-Mar-2014 10:47:20
#43 ]
Elite Member

@Arko

In some countries Amiga means girlfriend, it all depends on context its used does it not.

At lest in the context of computers from 1980's to 1990's its a produced by Commodore / ESCOM / VisCorp, it a computer whit ECE/OCE/AGA chipset and ROM contains the kickstart whit “AMIGADOS” and rest of the OS on floppy disks.

AmigaOS alone is not Amiga computer, a Amiga Computer whit out a OS, is as interesting as brick, it does not do anything.

AmigaONE computer, are not a Amiga Computer, it is infect a computer designed around industry standards just like any other Mac or PC.

AmigaOS 4.0 is AmigaOS, just a newer version then AmigaOS 3.5 or 3.1.

but more to the point, software emulation is never as good as the real thing, a FPGA based Amiga is keeping more to the orignal then a computer that was not designed to run AmigaOS software trying to act like it, by running it inside a program.

On note about software emulation vs FPGA, it question of what is best counterfeit. You will not know the difference between the real thing and a FPGA based computer. But you will notice big difference between software emulation and the real thing, some things are just not perfect no matter what.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 31-Mar-2014 at 10:51 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 31-Mar-2014 at 10:51 AM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 31-Mar-2014 10:50:38
#44 ]
Elite Member

@ExiE

Quote:
The design is honoring true old Amiga look and looks really good. And no, not everybody could do it.

Lets say I'm more consarned about the interior then the exterior.

Its not that complicated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKTSdW7-H3Q

You need two skills, you need to know how to make a PCB, and you need to know 3D modeling, as for the Raspberry pi is deigned to be easy make things for, there are 100's of kits and you can buy, sensors, and led's motor controller cards you can buy for it.

http://learn.adafruit.com/category/raspberry-pi

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 31-Mar-2014 at 11:09 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 31-Mar-2014 at 11:09 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 31-Mar-2014 at 11:04 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 31-Mar-2014 at 11:02 AM.

SpaceDruid 
Posted on 1-Apr-2014 23:25:48
#45 ]
From: Inside the mind of a cow on a planet that's flying through space at 242.334765 miles per second.

Obviously if you are aware the Amiga scene still exists, this isn't for you. But there are a large number of former gamers (Not just Amiga) that this could (in theory) appeal to. Something that is "plug and play" that's going to sit under the TV with an Xbox or phone charger (or whatever people have under their TV's. I don't have TV so I'm guessing).

Which is exactly why it's flawed.

Why would you design something that's compact and neat, and then stick a floppy drive in it? Did they forget how cumbersome disks are (and delicate if sticking them anywhere a speaker)? And how many of these ex gamers still have their old floppies? Even if they do, how many of the disks are still working? Not to mention how temperamental floppy drives can be.

And do they have a reliable source of joysticks? It's mostly game pads now, so how will these games play on a pad as opposed to a stick? (I'm hopeless with pads).

Do something with flash cards, make a deal with holders of the game copyright and sell themed flash disk sets (like Steam does with back catalogues for the PC). Something other than 30 year old magnetic disks.

If it was me, I'd arrange some kind of streaming service using the Cloud. More diverse games could be made available to a larger audience and an ad service could generate additional income. Something that's a halfway step between a console and a phone instead of half way between a console and a desktop.

I really just don't understand the point of this as it stands at all.

Google Translate

number6 
Posted on 27-Jul-2014 15:51:50
#46 ]
Elite Member

@thread

I saw something on facebook about being short of funding vs what they had hoped for.

Is this project still alive?

If so, what's the real status?

PG 
Posted on 27-Jul-2014 18:49:01
#47 ]

@number6

The project is still alive. They've got a BETA-program going right now. I was invited to join a while ago, but had to decline due to lack of funds. They are on Twitter and post updates from time to time.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle