Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 129 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Gunnar

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  11 secs ago
 vox:  17 mins ago
 zipper:  20 mins ago
 kolla:  27 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  41 mins ago
 BigD:  1 hr 23 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 25 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 54 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 57 mins ago
 Frank:  2 hrs 41 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Ask Electronic Arts to free De-Luxe Paint sourcecode
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
Raffaele 
Ask Electronic Arts to free De-Luxe Paint sourcecode
Posted on 27-Mar-2014 6:54:37
#1 ]

Apple released original source code of MacPaint and QuickDraw

http://www.computerhistory.org/atchm/macpaint-and-quickdraw-source-code/

Some days ago Microsoft leave free MS-DOS source code of MS-DOS 1.1, 2.0 old operating system and Word 1.1a wordprocessor

http://www.computerhistory.org/press/ms-source-code.html

Then as Amigan I say that is the moment to ask this computer museum to request Electronic Arts to release source code of Amiga De-Luxe Paint 1.0, 20 and 3.0.

Send them e-mail about it.

http://www.computerhistory.org/contact/

Last edited by Raffaele on 27-Mar-2014 at 07:18 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
KimmoK 
Re: Ask Electronic Arts to free De-Luxe Paint sourcecode
Posted on 27-Mar-2014 7:44:15
#2 ]
Elite Member

Yesterday I read the manual of Advantage spreadsheet application (y1989) and quickly went throught what spreadsheets were done for 68k. It's amazing how many featurerich products were made. To me it would seem that if they were done in C, a lot of good reusable codes might exist there. For example that Advantage app seem to have 99% of all spreadsheets features that I have ever needed and used in excel.

And then ... also EA has made a lot of good productivity apps for Amiga, for example powerpoint -like tool(s). (and Deluxe animator etc. etc.)

I imagine if those apps (available in C) would be slightly polished to run in latest 68k environments (or even natively on PPC), some of them might be sellable as retro tools via some web shop for eur1 or so...

Again. some stron SW team is needed to start offering (free to EA and others) service of polishing tose codes to make them retrosellable again etc.. ?

Last edited by KimmoK on 27-Mar-2014 at 07:47 AM.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 27-Mar-2014 12:34:53
#3 ]
Elite Member

@KimmoK

Its true there are many tools that existed that might be used today, if they where updated a bit.

On the other hand the type of graphic has changed and the memory footprint has increased whit graphic quality colors and resolution.

Amiga programs where written number of languages, Pascal, BlitzBasic, C, Amiga E, Assembler, BCPL.

elwood 
Posted on 27-Mar-2014 12:38:36
#4 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

I don't know what version it is but there is one here : http://www.phatcode.net/downloads.php?id=201

Amiga Translator Organisation

-Sam- 
Posted on 27-Mar-2014 13:08:24
#5 ]
Elite Member

@elwood

Looks like the PC version of DPaint II

Rob 
Posted on 27-Mar-2014 13:42:56
#6 ]
Elite Member

@KimmoK

Quote:
Yesterday I read the manual of Advantage spreadsheet application (y1989) and quickly went throught what spreadsheets were done for 68k. It's amazing how many featurerich products were made. To me it would seem that if they were done in C, a lot of good reusable codes might exist there. For example that Advantage app seem to have 99% of all spreadsheets features that I have ever needed and used in excel.

There's already and an open source spreedsheet for the Amiga.

http://ignition.berlios.de/

amigadave 
Posted on 27-Mar-2014 14:16:43
#7 ]

@KimmoK

Quote:

KimmoK wrote:

And then ... also EA has made a lot of good productivity apps for Amiga, for example powerpoint -like tool(s). (and Deluxe animator etc. etc.)

I imagine if those apps (available in C) would be slightly polished to run in latest 68k environments (or even natively on PPC), some of them might be sellable as retro tools via some web shop for eur1 or so...

Again. some strong SW team is needed to start offering (free to EA and others) service of polishing tose codes to make them retrosellable again etc.. ?

Why should a strong SW team work for free to allow EA to re-release any of their retro software tools or applications, when EA will profit from selling these proposed updated software projects? I would rather see EA release such projects as Open Source and see that one or more Amiga programmers polish and improve the Open Source files to update them as far as possible, then have these deserving Amiga programmers sell the updated applications, or tools, so that the Amiga programmers are compensated for their time and effort.

As an owner and user of the Advantage spreadsheet application for the 68k Amiga, I can confirm that it had 90% of the functionality needed for most spreadsheet users. I received it as a Christmas gift from my Sister, back in the late 1980's, and used it many times for both personal and business projects.

Reviving old 68k Amiga applications or tools is only feasible if there are not already new projects that duplicate and/or surpass those old software projects. Support the new software projects where ever possible, before spending time, effort, or money on bringing older software up to date with today's standards.

Arko 
Posted on 27-Mar-2014 15:18:57
#8 ]

Quote:

Raffaele wrote:

Then as Amigan I say that is the moment to ask this computer museum to request Electronic Arts to release source code of Amiga De-Luxe Paint 1.0, 20 and 3.0.

This old code might be interesting for software archaeologists, but it would not make sense using it for a port to modern hardware. Bitplane GFX is dead.

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 27-Mar-2014 16:30:24
#9 ]
Elite Member

@Arko

True it can quickly turn in to huge disappointment, just because you have the source code does make it easy to get even comping if you can even find the compiler, and if code mix of all sorts of assembler optimizing and stuff like that.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 27-Mar-2014 at 04:31 PM.

Jupp3 
Posted on 27-Mar-2014 19:33:27
#10 ]

@Raffaele

Don't forget that Adobe Photoshop sources are also publically available.

As for Deluxe Paint source release, I really wish it would happen...

If it did, we could finally conclude for good, that for future development, the sources are absolutely useless, and any "DPaint-like" programs would be better off started from scratch. And there would be no need for this kinds of useless threads.

cymru 
Posted on 27-Mar-2014 20:28:27
#11 ]

@thread

GIMP is open source and very powerful.

Raffaele 
Posted on 27-Mar-2014 21:26:17
#12 ]

@Arko

Quote:

Arko wrote:

Quote:

Raffaele wrote:

This old code might be interesting for software archaeologists, but it would not make sense using it for a port to modern hardware. Bitplane GFX is dead.

This old code could be the start for a good paint software for our platform, as its primitives are still unsurpassed as fluidity and ease of use.

And IMHO judging from the huuuge amount of retouched photos in internet, bitplane gfx has still good life everywhere and is far from being dead... not to mention the vaste amount of artists that still ude it, from cartoons, to manga, to pure painting.

Last edited by Raffaele on 27-Mar-2014 at 09:32 PM.
Last edited by Raffaele on 27-Mar-2014 at 09:31 PM.

Raffaele 
Posted on 27-Mar-2014 21:30:33
#13 ]

@Jupp3

Quote:

Jupp3 wrote:
@Raffaele

Don't forget that Adobe Photoshop sources are also publically available.

As for Deluxe Paint source release, I really wish it would happen...

If it did, we could finally conclude for good, that for future development, the sources are absolutely useless, and any "DPaint-like" programs would be better off started from scratch. And there would be no need for this kinds of useless threads.

Who is owner of Personal Paint for Amiga?

Amiga Forever?

They said they were working to a PPC version of it eons ago but it still remains vaporware.

If only they could release it as open source then thanks to our still loyal coders we could see a version of PPaint at the same speed we saw OWB 1.23 being released on AmigaOS after Fabien made public his OWB code.

Last edited by Raffaele on 27-Mar-2014 at 10:03 PM.

Raffaele 
Posted on 27-Mar-2014 21:49:45
#14 ]

@cymru

Quote:

cymru wrote:
@thread

GIMP is open source and very powerful.

Gimp is the most bloated piece of cra** software I ever used to paint. The fact it is very powerful and has dozillions of filters to make stunning effects on images don't make it an useful tool at all. Even Microsoft Paint equipping Windows 3.0/3.1/3.11 is more friendly and usable than Gimp.
Gimp is useful as a hoe agitated on a palette by a farmer and then launched on the canvas. Good for abstract paint, but I'll never use it for serious things anymore after the first attempt to use it.
In place of Gimp I'd rather prefer to use Luna Paint which graphic primitives makes it usable as Koala Paint on C64 but at least it is good for painting pixel to pixel as childs used to...
That is to say that Luna Paint is a step ABOVE Gimp

Last edited by Raffaele on 27-Mar-2014 at 10:06 PM.

Arko 
Posted on 27-Mar-2014 23:07:48
#15 ]

@Raffaele

Quote:

Raffaele wrote:

Who is owner of Personal Paint for Amiga?

IMR it is still Cloanto

Quote:

They said they were working to a PPC version of it eons ago but it still remains vaporware.

PPaint was the first commercial software supporting the Phase5 PPC developer board (the predecessor of the Cyberstrm MKIII). Laire was pissed, because Cloanto released their PPC software in such an early state, when the API of the PowerUP software was in a demo state.

News about PPC support:
http://www.amigareport.com/ar505/news46.html

Link to PPC support on the Aminet:
http://de3.aminet.net/biz/cloan/PBlit_PPC.readme

And the problems porting old software that was tuned to low-res planar GFX to modern HiRes GFX systems with chunky 8Bit or 24Bit screens where mentioned before.

Remark:
AFAIK Lodapaint is a full working DPaint clone that was ported to AmigaOS4 some years ago. Adding functions you miss there would be easier then porting an outdated program based on principles unsuited for modern GFX cards.

Last edited by Arko on 28-Mar-2014 at 07:47 AM.
Last edited by Arko on 27-Mar-2014 at 11:34 PM.
Last edited by Arko on 27-Mar-2014 at 11:14 PM.

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

broadblues 
Posted on 28-Mar-2014 2:37:12
#16 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Raffaele

Quote:

This old code could be the start for a good paint software for our platform,

SketchBlock is available now why wait for some old port?

Need a feature not implemented? Then ask!

broadblues 
Posted on 28-Mar-2014 2:39:57
#17 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Raffaele

Quote:

Gimp is the most bloated piece of cra** software I ever used to paint. T

Gimp is powerful and easy to use. You are clearly just not very good at learning to use software.

Unfortunatly Gimp under AmiCygnix is too slow to be useful. One of the reasons I wrote SketchBlock.

Raffaele 
Posted on 28-Mar-2014 3:09:32
#18 ]

@broadblues

Quote:

broadblues wrote:
@Raffaele

Quote:

Gimp is the most bloated piece of cra** software I ever used to paint. T

Gimp is powerful and easy to use. You are clearly just not very good at learning to use software.

Unfortunatly Gimp under AmiCygnix is too slow to be useful. One of the reasons I wrote SketchBlock.

I think I got some skills in judging paint software and Gimp is simply sh*t.

No possible appeal.

Made with pencil, pen and colored with Paint Shop Pro 7 that is very bad software for paint as it is old ans has some buggy features:

http://th01.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/f/2014/062/9/d/girl_for_papico_ice_cream_drink_contest_on_pixiv_by_raffaelemegabyte-d78qfrd.jpg

Made with pencil and Adobe Photoshop CS2 that has good choice of brushses. very good image editing with levels, threshold and contrast that allow easily a scanned pencil image to be transformed in inked lineart, but is good as paint as like driving a truck on a train line:

http://th01.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2013/103/4/3/in_the_middle_of_the_night____by_raffaelemegabyte-d61k2xk.jpg

Made entirely joking with Adobe Photoshop CS2 big sponge brushes:

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2011/233/c/6/mountain_wilderness_by_raffaelemegabyte-d47ba1g.jpg

Last edited by Raffaele on 28-Mar-2014 at 03:27 AM.
Last edited by Raffaele on 28-Mar-2014 at 03:10 AM.

Raffaele 
Posted on 28-Mar-2014 3:21:29
#19 ]

@Thread

There are only three programs in PC world that are good as DeLuxe Paint, and only 2 have the same ease of use:

1) Corel Painter but is very difficult to use

2) Project Dogwaffle (now PD Pro) that is born from start to mimick DPaint

3) Paint Tools SAI

Believe me these programs really are good as DPaint, but I usually don't use it as I always tried not be tempted in using programs that I don't licenced.

Project Dogwaffle has an old demo version that sometimes I use. If you have a PC Windows try to install it on XP and judge yourself if is it really as DPaint experience, but the demo version is very limited with only squared brushes and other flaws.

broadblues 
Posted on 28-Mar-2014 3:26:02
#20 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Raffaele

Not sure what you are trying prove by those images ( no critiscm of their artistic value implied). None are in GIMP so don;t demosntrate it's useless ness

All of these from the Topmost Dragon downards were down in GIMP with relativly little experience in digital art (or even the real messy stuff with pencil and paint).

The ones above that Dragaon were done in SketchBlock (except Le tarn and Lizrd which were start in GIMP (on location on linux laptop) and finished up in SketchBlock.

http://webplus.broad.ology.org.uk/gallery/thumbgallery.php?dir=./__cat__0002/__cat__0001

Installing GIMP Paint Studio (which is just a large preset and brush collection) helps quite a bit.

[edit]
BTW the bottom 3 were done with a mouse via VNC!
[/edit]

Last edited by broadblues on 28-Mar-2014 at 03:28 AM.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle