Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
18 crawler(s) on-line.
 171 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

AndreasM

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 AndreasM:  16 secs ago
 DiscreetFX:  24 mins ago
 Hypex:  33 mins ago
 kolla:  42 mins ago
 Gunnar:  54 mins ago
 saimo:  1 hr 43 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 2 mins ago
 OldFart:  2 hrs 2 mins ago
 _ThEcRoW:  2 hrs 21 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  2 hrs 49 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Ask Electronic Arts to free De-Luxe Paint sourcecode
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 )
PosterThread
broadblues 
Re: Ask Electronic Arts to free De-Luxe Paint sourcecode
Posted on 6-Apr-2014 22:47:06
#141 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Arko

Quote:

I believe extending an existing 24 GFX program would make more sense, than porting a program that was tuned for an abandoned hardware platform.

I agree ofcourse, but also think older software has it's uses. For example PPaint has very strong AnimGIF support, why implement that in SketchBlock when I could drive PPaint via ARexx?

Quote:

Useful(?) DPaint features:

- Mirroring
DPaint had a function for painting nice mirrored pictures

I suppose with a layer based application like SketchBlock you would use rotate and flip to create a mirrored image after the event, but if you mean something more interactive, then I think this might be dome best with an ARexx event handler in SketchBlock.

Quote:

- Pattern Fill
Fill regions with a pattern

- Gradient Fill
Fill regions with a color gradient

Got Gradient Fills, two colour gradients only (no colour ranges as in P/DPaint or ImageFX) radial and linear.
Fills are implmented using a "transform" plugin and so operate on whole layesr, you there make a selection (box, flood, colour etc) first then fill it.

"Pattern" fill using a layer or brush to fill or similar is on the todo list.

Quote:

- Custom Filters
PPaint had a nice Option for user generated custom filters.

You can create custom convolution matrices in SketchBlock . No GUI for this yet, you have to edit the text file direct. Prexisting ones include Gaussian Blur, Ebmoss, Deep Emboss, and Sobel X Sobel Y and Full Sobel (combines the previous 2 with a python script so a bit slow).

Quote:

- Different Paint modes
DPaint lacked a real alpha channel or layers but you could define a color as background, maybe this is the way to go, define a color range as background for painting or brush selection.

SketchBlock has true alpha support.

Quote:

- Light table / Rotoscope
Supporting a light table function, usable for Animations (generation + export of indexed pictures for external tools mencoder)
Rotoscoping could also be used for simple generation of camig like pictures (I posted a link to a program with source doing this)

No real animation support in SketchBlock, you could easily use the layers for light table though.

Not sure what you mean by "camig" like pictures?

Quote:

Thing that where nice too in DPaint/PPaint:
- Selecting and painting with magnifying glass was done nicely.

In SketchBlock you have arbitrary zoom (powers of two work best though), I have to admit navigating the zoom is abit clunky at the moment, you end up haveing to drag the scroll bars arround to find the right place. I will add a drag select zoom for the next or next but 1 version. Once you have you Zoom setup the way you want, you can "snapshot" it, and then always be able to return to that zoom state , so you can toggle between full view and detailed view easily.
No split widow as in DPaint.

Quote:

- Displaying and usi9ng coordinates

Limited support for that. Move tool, rotation tool etc, but not when painting (brush positoin etc)

Quote:

- Custom grid

No Grid support as yet.

Quote:

- Export as 'C-Code'

Only export to ILBM 32 at the moment. Export is then converted to desired type via Python Imaging Library, so I could think about extended PIL to include a Amiga C code export filter.

Quote:

And something missing in DPaint, PPaint
- Support tile generation for game background.
A lot of games are using tiles for their backgrounds, this tiles must be fitted to 8 others neighbor tiles.#

Interesting, how do imaging that would work? Slice up an large image? Very easy to do that in SketchBlock (would be easier still with proper Grid support) or do have something different in mind?

---

And final,

you could not do all this at once, pick aout the option you like to implement and ask users )via poll) what is needed most.

Last edited by broadblues on 06-Apr-2014 at 10:48 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
Raffaele 
Posted on 6-Apr-2014 23:27:04
#142 ]

@broadblues

Quote:

broadblues wrote:

The current modes are available:
"Normal" (equivalent colour or matt depending on if a brush is set to use it's own colour or just its alpha channel)
"Multiply" "Divide" "Add" "Subtract" "Difference" "Hue" "Colour" "Saturation" "Value" "Desaturate" "Screen" "Dodge" "Burn"

Smear would be provided by "Smudge" and "Smooth" which are sepaerate tools.
'Value' above gives you darken and Lighten depending on your current foreground colour and opacaity setting.

That sounds nice...

Quote:

Quote:

[Question:]

Does it allow resize of brushes with keyboard keys too, or does it works by using interface sliders only?

Yes, by defsult the ',' COMMA and '.' PERIOD keys resize the brush in steps of 10% I think.

Press the ALT key to vary the brightness of the colour instead.

Spend a little time studying the existing menu and keyboard shortcut settings and you can setup many combinations. I deeiberately haven't filled in all the gaps to allow people to setup their own environments.

I generally work with a graphics tablet and use the Right Amiga ALT RMB emulation to bring up menus. Using the burron on my tablet styles is very unreliable.

Nice again...

Raffaele 
Posted on 6-Apr-2014 23:30:58
#143 ]

@broadblues

Quote:

broadblues wrote:

No split widow as in DPaint.

Booo....

Arko 
Posted on 6-Apr-2014 23:34:39
#144 ]

@broadblues

Quote:

Not sure what you mean by "camig" like pictures?

Rotoscoping could also be used for simple generation of comic like pictures (I posted a link to a program with source doing this)

IMHO you should try an online version first:
http://www.toonyphotos.com/rotoscope

It is nice for generating comics from photos, it is used for 2d animation films.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXlEMIFUM-8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=469GSRA4nQg

Quote:

Interesting, how do imaging that would work? Slice up an large image?

More important:
have the tile you are working on in the center with the same or others around it.

Quote:

proper Grid support) or do have something different in mind?

Implementing grid support should not be rocket sience.

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

Jupp3 
Posted on 12-Apr-2014 14:43:29
#145 ]

@Arko

Quote:
Quote:
Interesting, how do imaging that would work? Slice up an large image?

More important:
have the tile you are working on in the center with the same or others around it.

Same idea could also be useful for general "seamless texture" painting. Have texture fill the whole window, as many times as it fits. Allow user to paint to ANY position in the window.

As for the actual coordinates to plot pixels to:
plotx=mousex%imagewidth;
ploty=mousey%imageheight;

It's hard to draw seamless textures, if when you want to draw line that continues "over the edge", you need to manually stop at one edge, move pointer, and continue from the other.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle