Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
27 crawler(s) on-line.
 154 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Gunnar

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  5 secs ago
 GPTNederlands:  3 mins ago
 janelancy:  4 mins ago
 -Sam-:  13 mins ago
 RobertB:  37 mins ago
 OlafS25:  55 mins ago
 pixie:  56 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 blmara:  1 hr 36 mins ago
 miggymac:  2 hrs 19 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Dave Haynie Talks About Developing The Commodore Amiga
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
QuBe 
Re: Dave Haynie Talks About Developing The Commodore Amiga
Posted on 10-Apr-2014 2:23:20
#21 ]

@Darth_X

I remember the dreaded day I read Commodore had gone under. I too was at the magazine store when I saw the print with the broken Commodore sign. I remember picking it up in disbelief and paging through it, tears welling up in my eyes as I read the article.

After that everything changed. The wind of happiness was punched out of my chest and my most memorable years were blown away like ash being scattered carelessly about. Then started the journey of one false promise and start after another... the highs and lows... the neverending stories and saga's.

Q!

"i am home"

Profile     Report this post  
Darth_X 
Posted on 13-Apr-2014 12:16:35
#22 ]
Elite Member

@QuBe

Quote:

QuBe wrote:
@Darth_X

I remember the dreaded day I read Commodore had gone under. I too was at the magazine store when I saw the print with the broken Commodore sign. I remember picking it up in disbelief and paging through it, tears welling up in my eyes as I read the article.

After that everything changed. The wind of happiness was punched out of my chest and my most memorable years were blown away like ash being scattered carelessly about. Then started the journey of one false promise and start after another... the highs and lows... the neverending stories and saga's.

Q!

"i am home"

I feel your pain!

Panthro 
Posted on 14-Apr-2014 0:14:21
#23 ]

How many people found out about Commodore through Amiga format?

I was also one who found out that way.

If only Commodore had management that would let the good stuff happen.

QuBe 
Posted on 14-Apr-2014 2:56:25
#24 ]

@Panthro

Yup, it is always a painful reminder on how things can go wrong. It seem the men in suits had one overarching view of maximising profits at all costs. I am all for making profits but not at the total expense of a business and its future, when all that is needed was some reasonable balance between profits, R&D and marketing.

Anyway, it is what it is now and there are great new hardware options available. If the X1000 (and planned computer updates) can make use of the new AMD R295x with 5000+ stream processes one can do just about anything on this machine.

With the right drivers and hardware support the Amiga will sing again... and it seems to be moving forward at a pace which is a good sign, and testament to everyone in the community working hard to keep it alive.

Q!

"i am home"

KimmoK 
Posted on 14-Apr-2014 6:24:02
#25 ]
Elite Member

@thread

I wonder if Hazy would be interested in participating in a hobby development of "FPGAGA+" PCI card for Classic+AmigaNGgeeks&fanatics....

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

Arko 
Posted on 14-Apr-2014 18:29:46
#26 ]

@KimmoK

Quote:

I wonder if Hazy would be interested in participating in a hobby development of "FPGAGA+" PCI card for Classic+AmigaNGgeeks&fanatics....

Don't know, but he gave CUSA some likes.

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

CodeSmith 
Posted on 14-Apr-2014 19:49:45
#27 ]
Elite Member

@QuBe

Quote:
It is a shame Natami did not make it. That would have helped that possibility a bit.

Ironically, what killed natami is the other side of the coin of what killed CBM. CBM died because the suits assumed way too much control and did not let the engineers do their jobs, and natami died because there wasn't anyone who put his foot down and said, "let's freeze the design right here and ship this. All of those other ideas are great too, but let's ship them as part of Natami 2". It broke my heart every time I saw the team have a really good design and just throw it out (along with months of progress) because someone had a neat idea that just had to go into v.1 even if it meant redoing a bunch of stuff from scratch.

Looking back over the past few years, I've also come to the conclusion that the only realistic way to "bring the amiga back" is to come up with some sort of "super-classic" that runs an evolved version of the amiga chipset on an evolved version of the 68K CPU. That was a powerful and elegant design that was still simple enough to fit inside a single person's head and was pleasant to program to, so it could attract a new generation of devs who are tired of all the hoops one needs to jump over in order to just draw a square on the screen. Something like the X1000 or the various SAM boards is just a PCI architecture system that happens to use a PowerPC CPU instead of a x86 - if you're going to wrap your head around that you might as well just use x86. I suspect that's why Dave Haynie was more open to the various classic-on-FPGA projects than to the PPC amiga ones.

QuBe 
Posted on 15-Apr-2014 4:00:37
#28 ]

@CodeSmith

Thank you for your response Code Smith. I have to say I agree with you totally. It was a shame that v1.0 of the Natami did not ship. It seems the team was very close in getting something out the door. It was a terrible blow to many avid super AGA fans who wanted to see a "real" Amiga with an evolved chipset.

I think classic-on-FPGA should be followed up with vigor. I am interested in an FPGA classic that has a super AGA or super AAA evolved chipset implementation. I would purchase one immediately upon release as long as older classic software was backward compatible on it though. It would need to rekindle my classic passion a new, but with something unique to offer.

Can you imagine a re-worked DPaint in Hi-Res with millions of colours to pixel paint with, or a 16 bit 32 channel Paula (with DSP) to track on. I shudder at the prospects...

Q!

"i am home"

number6 
Posted on 18-Apr-2014 17:43:35
#29 ]
Elite Member

@KimmoK

Quote:
I wonder if Hazy would be interested in participating in a hobby development of "FPGAGA+" PCI card for Classic+AmigaNGgeeks&fanatics

Funny, I stumbled on the old article indicating he was a consultant for Hyperion. Since there were no hits for "consult" in the long thread here on AW that featured Dave, I was wondering...

Any idea what he consulted about? I missed those earliest years.

Quote:
Boing Attitude : Could you give more details about Dave Haynie's office ?

Ben Hermans: Dave has agreed to act as a technical consultant. His knowledge of the Amiga and the PPC is very valuable to us. Plus he has some good ideas about OS design which we will take on board down the line.

Source

Arko 
Posted on 18-Apr-2014 18:39:00
#30 ]

@number6

Quote:

number6 wrote:

Funny, I stumbled on the old article indicating he was a consultant for Hyperion.

This article doesn't say he was an consultant for Hyperion, it was just an interview where Ben Herman(!) saif: "Dave has agreed to act as a technical consultant."

And not even Ben Hermans claimed Dave did it.

IMR the evidences of him working as a consultant for Hyperion are rare, but maybe we can count this.

Quote:

Today's netbooks are not just faster than every Amiga every made, they're also faster than every post-Commodore attempt at Amiga replacement. And they cost $200. Why would you not want a native AmigaOS running on commodity hardware? That IS what I have been advocating at least since Apple killed the possibility of a second desktop commodity platform back in 1997.

Souce:
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=33564&forum=25&start=120&viewmode=flat&order=0#610298

Quote:

The problem today is that no one will make such a computer, at least not in the sense that the Amiga 1000 was in 1985.
The Amiga ONE will not be this kind of computer.

http://www.landley.net/history/mirror/commodore/haynie.html

According to his statements he was not really part of AmigaOS4 hardware development:
Quote:

What do you think of the Amiga ONE

I’ll tell you when I get one Seriously, I don’t know enough specifics to make any really valuable contributions.

http://www.landley.net/history/mirror/commodore/haynie.html

He mode some comments about a lot of other things too:
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=33564&forum=25&start=120&viewmode=flat&order=0

Last edited by Arko on 18-Apr-2014 at 09:39 PM.
Last edited by Arko on 18-Apr-2014 at 06:42 PM.

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle