Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
17 crawler(s) on-line.
 119 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  9 mins ago
 MarcioD:  32 mins ago
 Hammer:  40 mins ago
 kolla:  40 mins ago
 matthey:  47 mins ago
 NancyNash:  1 hr 1 min ago
 agami:  1 hr 31 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 48 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 50 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  1 hr 56 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Free For All
      /  Nibiru, what if ? - Part 4
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
PosterThread
BrianK 
Re: Nibiru, what if ? - Part 4
Posted on 25-Jun-2015 18:32:02
#181 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

I know in the past you've talked about Hover Boards. Here's one - http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2015/06/24/lexus-hoverboard/29220471/

No 'special' magic. Superconductivity and cool temps.

Profile     Report this post  
Lou 
Posted on 26-Jun-2015 16:38:05
#182 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:

BrianK wrote:
@Lou

Quote:
http://news.yahoo.com/planetary-societys-solar-sail-test-success-space-182605978.html

Radiation pressure continues to win.

What happened here is scientists predicted the em forces available from the sun. They scaled and sized a craft to make use of those effects. The ship traveled at a rate predicted. The result is a confirmation that our current knowledge of the sun was secure enough to produce the desired effects. So yes, the current understanding of RP worked! Great confirmation.

Unfortunately, what you've been trying to tell us is space has RP that is even greater and will produce certain effects that are even greater than what the sun does. Unfortunately, this evidence didn't show your view to be true. Why? If that was the case then the rate of speed of the solar sail would have been greatly out of alignment with predictions. Since it was in alignment it's better evidence against your view that it is for.

Quote:

What if you could design a disc-like craft that could absorb radiation or reflect it from different (and adjustable/programmable) sections of exterior? Now you could control the direction of travel more easily than an ancient 'sailing' method...hmmm...

In my view one that is totally doable. The difficulty comes in that the origination and distance of the energy isn't controllable. And as you move the ship optimal speed is always dependent on your relationship to the star(s).

So, let's do an exercise on how to get to the nearest galaxy using a solar sail.
* The amount of energy from the sun is very weak (~10 newtons per square mile by us). We'd still need rockets to land and take off from earth. (Shuttle is round 1.5 million Newtons). We'd put a solar sail on a normal rocket and launch it into space.
* As we fly away from the sun the energy from the sun drops. (inverse square law). As such we can't rely on ~10 newtons per sq. mile. In order to compensate one thing we'd do is make a huge frickin' sail. And sails are more weight so we'd want to be light. -- Thus, we'd probably make it the size of Texas and so small that no current material exists to make it.
* Also, since the sun power decreases we'd probably want some booster. Maybe some space laser satellites to collect and concentrate the sun. That'd help our cause. We'd still need the size as Texas sail because that target is harder to hit the further out it is.
* Once close to the other galaxy we'd want some sort of rocket again for controllability. And especially if we want to come home.

It's an interesting exercise. Not possible today. But, some great engineering problems to work on there.

Now if we could get that imaginary rp from space, you claim to exist, working that'd be awesome. Unfortunately, at the moment those engineering problems are even bigger because ya got nothing demonstrating it's existence.

You should look up this interesting invention called 'nuclear power'. Of course, then that would be the 'radiation' thing again that you keep disbelieving...

Lou 
Posted on 26-Jun-2015 16:40:18
#183 ]
Elite Member

@TheBilgeRat

Quote:

TheBilgeRat wrote:
Wow - I can't believe this thread is on part 4!

I don't know about Nibiru, but I have enjoyed watching the ThunderboltsProjects documentaries:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7EAlTcZFwY

There is some compelling narrative about early astronomical observations worldwide and the theory that we had a much more interesting skyline thousands of years ago.

I'm not of the opinion that so many modern people have that past civilizations were just mindless unscientific religious yokels incapable of accurate observation. They did what they could with the time at hand and the tools available.

Also, the plasma universe stuff is kind of interesting too (sorta goes hand in hand):
http://plasmauniverse.info/

Also, its not a bunch of "crackpot pseudo-scientists", well, unless you consider the IEEE Nuclear and Plasma Sciences Society a bunch of crackpot pseudo-scientists :)

I've linked to that stuff before but the religious zealots here will hear none of that...

Lou 
Posted on 26-Jun-2015 16:40:55
#184 ]
Elite Member

@olegil

Quote:

olegil wrote:
@BrianK

he's just randomly linking to things that he hasn't even read again. Like he admitted to doing before.

Because your post was soooo informative...

Lou 
Posted on 26-Jun-2015 16:54:59
#185 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:

BrianK wrote:
@Lou

I know in the past you've talked about Hover Boards. Here's one - http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2015/06/24/lexus-hoverboard/29220471/

No 'special' magic. Superconductivity and cool temps.

No special magic 'gravity' force required - you are correct.
Superconductors repel magnetic fields.

Once room temperature super conductivity is achieved, such things will become the norm. NO GRAVITY REQUIRED. If the ground wasn't such a poor conductor, no special "floor" would be required.

I linked about QUANTUM LEVITATION about 2 years ago much to your and a nimrod's disbelief... #StillCatchingUpArentYou

Nimrod 
Posted on 28-Jun-2015 18:24:27
#186 ]

@Lou
The important detail that seems to evade your understanding is that room temperature superconductivity hasn't been acheived, and there is no evidence that it is likely to be acheived any time soon. And the key word in your comment "If the ground wasn't such a poor conductor" is the word IF.
The ground has always been a poor conductor, and always will be, just as the gap between the Earth and the Moon is an even worse conductor, meaning that the Moon is not kept in orbit of the Earth by magnetic levitation as you asserted a couple of years ago. I am fully aware that MagLev does occur, but unlike you I also understand the concept of orders of magnitude.
One of these days you may even learn the difference between nano and Giga.

Lou 
Posted on 17-Jul-2015 17:43:45
#187 ]
Elite Member

@Nimrod

Quote:

Nimrod wrote:
@Lou
The important detail that seems to evade your understanding is that room temperature superconductivity hasn't been acheived, and there is no evidence that it is likely to be acheived any time soon. And the key word in your comment "If the ground wasn't such a poor conductor" is the word IF.
The ground has always been a poor conductor, and always will be, just as the gap between the Earth and the Moon is an even worse conductor, meaning that the Moon is not kept in orbit of the Earth by magnetic levitation as you asserted a couple of years ago. I am fully aware that MagLev does occur, but unlike you I also understand the concept of orders of magnitude.
One of these days you may even learn the difference between nano and Giga.

This is where you continue to be blinded my your own nimrodic logic.
When water boils, you see steam because that's the order of magnitude that you perceive. Amazingly, water molecules will individually boil/[change states from liquid to gas] at lower temperatures than the order of magnitude of temperature and amount of water molecules required for you to perceive it.

So while you haven't perceived superconductivity at room temperature, that doesn't mean it isn't happening. That is mostly due to this thing called 'interference'. Funny thing about the physics you learn is usually concerning 'isolated systems' when in reality there is no such practical thing.

You are also ignoring the fact that some people are treating space as a super fluid.
http://phys.org/news/2014-04-liquid-spacetime-slippery-superfluid.html

But at your age, I realize how quickly you can forget things...

Lou 
Posted on 17-Jul-2015 17:46:51
#188 ]
Elite Member

The more well-define theories showing radiation pressure/shadowing as gravity usually are based on supersymmetry which no nimrod seems to believe exists...

Well about that...
http://phys.org/news/2014-04-kind-supersymmetry-shown-emerge-naturally.html

Nimrod 
Posted on 18-Jul-2015 18:57:18
#189 ]

@Lou

Quote:
Amazingly, water molecules will individually boil/[change states from liquid to gas] at lower temperatures than the order of magnitude of temperature and amount of water molecules required for you to perceive it.
And if you reduce the pressure to below the triple point you can even get the solid to sublimate directly to vapour without passing through the liquid phase. But the worlds fastest steam locomotive did not hurtle between Little Bytham and Essendine on the output of a few individual molecules.
And when you posted your ridiculous equation that you claimed kept the moon in orbit of the earth, I asked what figure you had in mind for the rate of change of magnetic field as well as the local gravitational field "g". You seem to have forgotten all about that, you certainly "forgot" to answer.
I will ask again if you understand the difference between pico and Giga.

Nimrod 
Posted on 18-Jul-2015 19:12:44
#190 ]

@Lou

Quote:
Well about that... http://phys.org/news/2014-04-kind-supersymmetry-shown-emerge-naturally.html

My first observation matches that of the Spartans to Philip of Macedonia. "IF"
My second is that the author of the article needs to go back to school and learn what the word "theory" means in science.
"The scientists theorized that the application of a specified amount of magnetic field to the surface of the container would break the time-reversal symmetry." No scientific theory was produced, the people carrying out the study hypothesised that they may produce the results that they hoped for.

BrianK 
Posted on 21-Jul-2015 2:38:31
#191 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Indeed room temperature super conductivity would be nice to achieve. And, as I said years ago, had not been. In the last couple of years science has created more hypothetical method and still lacks demonstration. While, I'd never say never. What I would say is we're at least a decade away. Even if a material was discovered there are likely manufacturing and distribution questions to resolve. They probably aren't unresolvable but the realties of economics have yet to even be understood around this non-existent material. Again, I'd love to see one.

As for the quantum levitation... It continues to be superconductivity, just as science and I stated years ago. Or are you giving up your unproven meaning to accept the one scientists use?

Speaking of science you claimed, before any races were run, to have the #1 Fiero on the circuit this year. Like your beliefs you claim superiority without doing the work. I'm jus wondering how your work is coming? Please link us the site with all the races you've won his year or perhaps you have some local strip news reports of how you're clearly #1 to date?

BrianK 
Posted on 21-Jul-2015 14:29:20
#192 ]
Elite Member

@Lou,

I thought your religious conspiracy convictions could use another...
Pluto was faked!
http://www.newsweek.com/inside-pluto-truther-movement-which-claims-flyby-was-faked-355150

BrianK 
Posted on 24-Jul-2015 4:53:22
#193 ]
Elite Member

50 years after postulation evidence of the pentaquark.

http://www.npr.org/sections/13.7/2015/07/22/425240223/game-of-quarks-a-guide-for-the-perplexed

BrianK 
Posted on 28-Jul-2015 16:54:49
#194 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

EM drive is not a warp drive. It has some theoretical papers, no peer review and no evidence. That is all work to be done. And importantly if it works as proposed it really isn't any faster to Mars.

http://www.iflscience.com/no-em-drive-will-not-lead-warp-travel-any-time-soon

Lou 
Posted on 28-Jul-2015 18:14:35
#195 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:

BrianK wrote:
@Lou

EM drive is not a warp drive. It has some theoretical papers, no peer review and no evidence. That is all work to be done. And importantly if it works as proposed it really isn't any faster to Mars.

http://www.iflscience.com/no-em-drive-will-not-lead-warp-travel-any-time-soon

The EM drive continues to work, even a debunker admits it works:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/07/28/impossible-em-propulsion-engine-confirmed-by-scientists

Many a nimrod's brains have just exploded...

Last edited by Lou on 28-Jul-2015 at 06:15 PM.
Last edited by Lou on 28-Jul-2015 at 06:15 PM.

BrianK 
Posted on 29-Jul-2015 0:31:06
#196 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Apparently, it is still unconfirmed. Though some of the evidence is that it might be heat.

http://io9.com/no-german-scientists-have-not-confirmed-the-impossibl-1720573809

@Lou,
According to the postulate thrust would be immediately available. As long as input power didn't vary. In the experiment the power was kept constant and thrust was not immediately available. Instead the thrust increased over time, as the heart increased. At the higher temps there is a known increasingly less accurate measurement from the observational instruments.

I'm half they are doing more experiments. There clearly are problems to eliminate and other research before this is accepted.

Last edited by BrianK on 29-Jul-2015 at 05:04 AM.
Last edited by BrianK on 29-Jul-2015 at 01:02 AM.

BrianK 
Posted on 21-Aug-2015 14:54:35
#197 ]
Elite Member

Out of this world (hehe) neutrinos discovered.

http://gizmodo.com/scienitsts-confirm-the-existence-of-cosmic-neutrinos-1725433952

The Standard model predicted Neutrinos in the early 1930s. They're the lowest energy particle theorized by the Standard model. As one of the last discoveries it's confirmation that the Standard Model has very little left to show us. (Dark Matter and Gravity are two things left to experimentally demonstrate.) Also, there's now indication the Standard Model is itself incomplete and new models are needed. (And, of course their experiments.) An exciting time for Physics.

Update Note: Reminder Gravity and Dark Matter are heavily related. The postulate is that Dark Matter has no EM interaction and only interacts through the gravitational force. Now gravity, like in a Black Hole, is fairly 'easy' to identify. Dark Matter is thought to have settled out sooner in the formation of the universe, due to the lack of EM interactions. If it exists it'd be clumps of arms, like octopus tentacles which reach out into the ocean. To see Dark Matter, ideally, we'd zoom out and observe all of the universe and the changes to the Cosmic Background Radiation. We have been mapping the CBR for the last 50 years or so. We do see shifting masses which indicate Dark Matter. However, the resolution and depth is still considered to be inadequate for sufficient scientific confidence to confirm, or deny, the existence of Dark Matter. The boosted range of the LHC is thought to likely be in the range to smash some stuff together and be able to observe Dark Matter. We'll see what the experimental evidence does, or doesn't show.

Last edited by BrianK on 21-Aug-2015 at 07:39 PM.

BrianK 
Posted on 24-Aug-2015 18:24:04
#198 ]
Elite Member

Also this week, tested here in Minnesota, neutrinos oscillate between their forms.

http://www.fnal.gov/pub/presspass/press_releases/2015/NOvA-Neutrinos-Change-20150807.html

BrianK 
Posted on 31-Aug-2015 1:35:32
#199 ]
Elite Member

LHC finds leptons not adhering to the Standard Model.

http://www.iflscience.com/physics/lhc-finds-particles-defying-standard-model-physics

Exciting stuff.

Lou 
Posted on 28-Sep-2015 17:21:10
#200 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

You know what's really unconfirmed and completely MIA?

http://arstechnica.com/science/2015/09/gravity-waves-missing-in-action-in-latest-test/

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle