Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
21 crawler(s) on-line.
 57 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 edwardsjethro:  7 mins ago
 joeyunderwood:  8 mins ago
 Sikharubel:  11 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  33 mins ago
 MagicSN:  1 hr 1 min ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 8 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 20 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 40 mins ago
 retrofaza:  1 hr 43 mins ago
 VooDoo:  2 hrs 19 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga News & Events
      /  Andy Warhol's Lost Amiga Works Rediscovered
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
xe54 
Andy Warhol's Lost Amiga Works Rediscovered
Posted on 24-Apr-2014 9:41:29
#1 ]

Previously Unknown Warhol Works Discovered on Floppy Disks from 1985 :

Quote:
Warhol’s Amiga experiments were the products of a commission by Commodore International to demonstrate the graphic arts capabilities of the Amiga 1000 personal computer. Created by Warhol on prototype Amiga hardware in his unmistakable visual style, the recovered images reveal an early exploration of the visual potential of software imaging tools, and show new ways in which the preeminent American artist of the 20th century was years ahead of his time.

They have even made a move, “Trapped: Andy Warhol’s Amiga Experiments.”

http://studioforcreativeinquiry.org/events/warhol-discovery

Profile     Report this post  
QuBe 
Re: Andy Warhol's Lost Amiga Works Rediscovered
Posted on 24-Apr-2014 15:32:18
#2 ]

@xe54

Yup, and here is the BBC report...

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-27141201

Q!

"i am home"

broadblues 
Posted on 24-Apr-2014 15:46:55
#3 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@QuBe

Cool, but three years to reverse engineer the image format? They didn't think to ask someone? (maybe the BBC just got it wrong).

broadblues 
Posted on 24-Apr-2014 15:59:11
#4 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@broadblues

Hmm okay, reading the proper article rather the BBC's 'abridged' version, the three years mainly involved research and finding a way to extract the data from the floppies with risk of damge...

Raffaele 
Posted on 24-Apr-2014 16:56:14
#5 ]

@broadblues

I read sometime ago that they spended three years trying to extract data with a Macintosh machine reading amiga floppies bit x bit by modifying their mechanics and then rebuilting images...

And they also are slideshowing it on Mac.

What a shame for us and what a bunch of morons they are...

Next time we amigans could give one of our classic machines as a donation to the museum and hire a bounty to buy a catweasel card so they could extract data from Amiga floppies anytime they want and show it in the museum with correct colors and pixel ratio...
I suspect Warhol created many cycle colors images ppto obtain stunning psichedelic effects and they ignore even cycle colors function exists.

I wonder what kicka** macholic smart fox made the museum believing there is only this way to get back the data.

Last edited by Raffaele on 24-Apr-2014 at 05:02 PM.
Last edited by Raffaele on 24-Apr-2014 at 05:01 PM.
Last edited by Raffaele on 24-Apr-2014 at 04:57 PM.

amigang 
Posted on 24-Apr-2014 17:02:40
#6 ]
Elite Member

Always nice to see Amiga still making the news.

Raffaele 
Posted on 24-Apr-2014 17:20:25
#7 ]

@thread

www.detroitmona.com/Jef_Bourgeau/still_famous.htm

Retro-fitted macintosh... What a bu**s***!!!

billt 
Posted on 24-Apr-2014 17:42:41
#8 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

Quote:
I read sometime ago that they spended three years trying to extract data with a Macintosh machine reading amiga floppies bit x bit by modifying their mechanics and then rebuilting images... And they also are slideshowing it on Mac.

I gotta see the video when available... So, they had a retro computer club at a prestigious engineering university that couldn't think of putting those disks in to Warhol's own Amiga computer? Or using it to make backups before then trying to read and play with the backup copies? Rip to ADF anyone? I don't get it... (I'm not sure if Kryoflux was out back then) It just seems weird that no one searched for an Amiga forum and asking how to approach that.

If they were confident that things would survive such an experiment in adjusting their weird drives, then why not just power up the Amiga and read them?? Or someone else Amiga to read them. Weird.

olsen 
Posted on 24-Apr-2014 17:48:36
#9 ]
Cult Member

@Raffaele

Quote:

Raffaele wrote:
@broadblues

I read sometime ago that they spended three years trying to extract data with a Macintosh machine reading amiga floppies bit x bit by modifying their mechanics and then rebuilting images...

And they also are slideshowing it on Mac.

Which probably means that the picture aspect ratio will be wrong

Warhol used the original "Aegis Images" (which started life as GraphiCraft, which was bundled with the original Amiga machines) and "Deluxe Paint" on the Amiga 1000, which means that the images were created with NTSC pixel aspect ratio. The pixels are not exactly square, but about 10% higher than they are wide.

Nitpickers might see this in the "Venus" image (which was created by Avril Harrison, after Botticelli's original painting; this is what the "A.H." in the lower left corner stands for). The face is a bit squashed if shown with square pixels.

Quote:

What a shame for us and what a bunch of morons they are...

Hey, this is a different world. This was likely a project supervised by the Andy Warhol foundation, and this involves mostly people with a fine arts background. The Amiga 1000 in storage is another artefact from Andy Warhol's long career, which spanned almost 40 years.

He started out as a commercial illustrator in 1950'ies New York, creating illustrations for magazines, books, records and the daily bread of Madison Avenue advertizing. He was one of the most highly-paid illustrator of his time. When he eventually made it as a "name artist", he used silkscreen printing techniques to reproduce existing artwork, typically portraits. His hand-coloured silkscreened serial "portraits" of Marilyn Monroe are probably the most famous work from that era (1963).

The Amiga 1000 in storage was probably considered the same type of technical equipment as his silkscreen tools, his 8mm film camera, or his Polaroid camera.

Quote:

Next time we amigans could give one of our classic machines as a donation to the museum and hire a bounty to buy a catweasel card so they could extract data from Amiga floppies anytime they want and show it in the museum with correct colors and pixel ratio...
I suspect Warhol created many cycle colors images ppto obtain stunning psichedelic effects and they ignore even cycle colors function exists.

I wonder what kicka** macholic smart fox made the museum believing there is only this way to get back the data.

Ha! Each of the disks in storage is one of a kind. It's ironic that Andy Warhol's fame came mostly out of reproducing existing material (in a specific context), yet nobody seems to have had the foresight to reproduce/copy the contents of the disks until now.

As the work of a major 20th century American artist, nobody accidentally wanted to damage material which was by now almost 30 years old. Better safe than sorry.

Last edited by olsen on 25-Apr-2014 at 07:25 AM.

itix 
Posted on 24-Apr-2014 18:25:20
#10 ]
Elite Member

@billt

Quote:

So, they had a retro computer club at a prestigious engineering university that couldn't think of putting those disks in to Warhol's own Amiga computer? Or using it to make backups before then trying to read and play with the backup copies? Rip to ADF anyone? I don't get it... (I'm not sure if Kryoflux was out back then) It just seems weird that no one searched for an Amiga forum and asking how to approach that.

I am not sure if you can make backup of old floppies that is 1:1 identical to the original in the first attempt. You have to verify backup and if it is not identical you have to try again which again is sort of destructive process.

Then again you might want to control reading data more precisely than Catweasel or Kryoflux would allow and it is easier to find developer to do the job on Mac than Amiga. I can imagine they proved the process with real Amiga floppies they could throw away before trying with the originals.

When it comes to (software) archeology do not trust on tools you have no knowledge about. Amiga development tools and documentation is difficult to find and using real Amiga dont add any value to restoration process. And last but not least relying on some random internet guy to do the job for you is the worst thing they could do.

Last edited by itix on 24-Apr-2014 at 06:29 PM.

Raffaele 
Posted on 24-Apr-2014 19:33:26
#11 ]

@olsen

Yep... I want to write about Graphicraft, any Amigan knows about it, but you answered first...

If they just simply ask any professional amigan he could had given them the clue to make running a copy of graphicraft to load all the pictures.

At least Warhol died in 1987. And there were very few amiga paint programs on the market in that time.

What unscientific approach for a museum and dumba** unprofessional university retrocomputing club.

Raffaele 
Posted on 24-Apr-2014 19:38:11
#12 ]

@itix

There are official amiga sites...

If they had asked us, they had not to referring to obscure internet users...

And sure we all had had advicing them to contact very reliable Amiga guys such as Dave Haynie for example, or other good Amiga programmers...

Last edited by Raffaele on 24-Apr-2014 at 07:38 PM.

Toaks 
Posted on 24-Apr-2014 19:40:29
#13 ]
Elite Member

I noticed this line in the report.

Quote:
The recovery project was initially thwarted from viewing the actual images as the data was saved in an obscure format that modern Amiga emulators could not read.

i am really curios what it could be since allready by december 1985 there was paint packages available to the consumers out there, correct me if i am wrong but i thought that later tools like IFX,ADPRO and photogenics tried everything they could to support EVERY format there was ever for the Amiga?

anyways, cool to see his lost works was found! and awesome to see that the Amiga was yet again in the news.

Darrin 
Posted on 24-Apr-2014 19:43:27
#14 ]
Team Member

Perhaps the "expert" they hired to recover the data was a con-man who was charging them by the hour, and managed to string them along for 3 years.

Raffaele 
Posted on 24-Apr-2014 20:05:25
#15 ]

@Toaks

Quote:

Toaks wrote:

I noticed this line in the report.

Quote:
The recovery project was initially thwarted from viewing the actual images as the data was saved in an obscure format that modern Amiga emulators could not read.

i am really curios what it could be since allready by december 1985 there was paint packages available to the consumers out there, correct me if i am wrong but i thought that later tools like IFX,ADPRO and photogenics tried everything they could to support EVERY format there was ever for the Amiga?

anyways, cool to see his lost works was found! and awesome to see that the Amiga was yet again in the news.

Sure the expert who recovered data could not bill the museum with invoice "pirated ADPro software"...

US Tax department will be no happy reading it on the invoice, neither US copyright anti-piracy enforcement...

Last edited by Raffaele on 24-Apr-2014 at 08:07 PM.
Last edited by Raffaele on 24-Apr-2014 at 08:07 PM.

Raffaele 
Posted on 24-Apr-2014 20:17:26
#16 ]

@thread

Quote:

The discovery and recovery project has been filmed for a documentary that will be shown on 10 May at a public lecture at the Carnegie Library lecture hall in Pittsburgh. Soon afterwards, the documentary will be put online at http://nowseethis.org/

Is there any Pittsbugh skilled Amigan who could attend this lecture and make some intervention questions and speech if he sees they are about to attempting telling bullsh** about Amiga?

Last edited by Raffaele on 24-Apr-2014 at 11:17 PM.

itix 
Posted on 24-Apr-2014 20:23:38
#17 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

Quote:

If they had asked us, they had not to referring to obscure internet users...

And sure we all had had advicing them to contact very reliable Amiga guys such as Dave Haynie for example, or other good Amiga programmers...

I am sure Dave Haynie would have recommended to use modern computers to retrieve data.

I just read their document and they were using Kryoflux to read floppies to Mac. The club had Amiga hardware and wrote images back to Amiga floppies using X-Copy. After examining disks they also tried to salvage disks to find deleted files.

One of disks was Electronic Arts demo disk with various software where they found image in unknown file format which eventually was PLBM. They did also produce scaled versions of images to get correct aspect ratio.

Last edited by itix on 24-Apr-2014 at 08:28 PM.
Last edited by itix on 24-Apr-2014 at 08:26 PM.

Arko 
Posted on 24-Apr-2014 20:35:47
#18 ]

@thread

I had a good feeling with Kryoflux, it is not a full floppy controller with built on SID and Joystick interface like the Catweazel but it could read floppy information that might be unreadable for Amiga floppies.

It more like a device for salvaging old nearly dead floppies and creating ADFs from it.

It's sad that Catweazle was never turned into an USB device, this could have been so much cheaper than the internal version.

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

broadblues 
Posted on 24-Apr-2014 21:04:49
#19 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@itix

So really it's an upset over bad journalism rather than bad science.

itix 
Posted on 24-Apr-2014 21:28:37
#20 ]
Elite Member

@broadblues

It is not an upset over bad journalism but bad readers who don't understand clear written English even if it was their native language. It took three years but the article is not saying it took three years to read and display images from floppies. Maybe the article is overexaggarating by telling it was painstaking three year project when it actually took only few days to restore those images.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle