Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
14 crawler(s) on-line.
 109 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

OneTimer1

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OneTimer1:  2 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  6 mins ago
 amigakit:  11 mins ago
 kolla:  18 mins ago
 Gunnar:  21 mins ago
 Comi:  47 mins ago
 vox:  1 hr 33 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 37 mins ago
 BigD:  2 hrs 40 mins ago
 OlafS25:  2 hrs 42 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Emulation
      /  Emulation: A passion
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 )
PosterThread
outrun1978 
Re: Emulation: A passion
Posted on 4-Oct-2017 8:08:09
#361 ]
Cult Member

@Srtest

Thanks for posting your E-UAE config file, I too have posted mine on my blog with a view to helping others get some Picasso 96 screenmodes using SDL but I will take a look at some of the interesting bits about the screenmodes as didn't realise you could add more within the config file.

What I found amazing and sad was just how little documentation there was about setting up E-UAE and it's features, I kid you not but I had to use a guide written in German to understand what was going on and what could be amended.

It's also sad that some in the Amiga community feel the need to hide their configuration files rather than share them for the common good like some dirty little secret. The Amiga community is a much nicer place when people quit bitching and moaning on forums and decide to help each other out.

Profile     Report this post  
K-L 
Posted on 4-Oct-2017 9:16:08
#362 ]

@outrun1978

I too wrote (in French) some tutorials with some emulators : http://www.amiga-ng.org/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=47

outrun1978 
Posted on 4-Oct-2017 10:00:18
#363 ]
Cult Member

@K-L

If I remember correctly one of your helpful posts on another forum helped me out too, but didn't realise you had done a guide to optimise a few other emulators too. Heuresement je parle Français aussi donc je vais utiliser tes conseiles pour optimiser a DosBOX et merci beaucoup pour avoir explique en plus les fonctions and for those who don't speak French expect a future blog post on PC emulation which I am in the process of researching

Srtest 
Posted on 4-Oct-2017 13:55:15
#364 ]

I read outrun's guide and we complement each other. I too sometimes go for that full-on experience of p96 mode, sdl and afaOS when I want to take that enviroment farther and I have various old school installations ready. The thing is that when you value a certain appeal and gfx/sound/combo of that time there is merit in getting the best of that instead of trying to push it farther. That said, for some reason some rare titles and programs that weren't meant to take advantage of those advanced amiga modes work better. I guess the reason is the emulation itself which is a very broad subject and may contain some controversy.

A classical output is really not obvious as something like scanlines don't really come naturally for the way we output the classic amiga modes via emulation on modern displays. Likewise, not all modern displays are alike as sometimes less is more, like when you think that an advanced lcd monitor is better than a cheap lcd hdtv. In some aspects yes but on others the size of the tv works in our advantage and can hide some deficiencies. Low resolutions doesn't mean ugly and pixelated can mean pixel art under the right light. Modern tvs are brighter so they can complement the somewhat dark scanlines while hiding what people don't like about lcd monitors regarding scanlines. Again, maybe scanlines should be dark. You see? there are considerations from different directions.

One thing is for sure and that is letting go of what you believe is simply correct like dithering is only meant for 8 bit bad colors situation. Do you know that hdmi cables do dithering unless you force them not to? The MadVR renderer can do 5 different kinds of dithering withe gfx card or without it. dithering can help scanlines with the somewhat darkness of them and modern displays, while lacking in color depth are brighter and hdmi is quite flexible.

NutsAboutAmiga wrote that there are 1000 versions of uae so you can gather tidbids from here and there and you need to know what is relevant for our uae abilities. Someday having an ability to fine-tune scanlines like on fs-uae would be good.

Another controversial subject is mentioning different roms for boot and the use of os3.5 and 3.9 available on the web. That is only for emulation and wanting to explore every facet of it. I also changed my in-emulation startup-sequence (without disturbing whdload or RunInUAE). I support every amiga company and I want and need to experiment to make valid points beyond just one os configuration.

Quote:
screenmodes as didn't realise you could add more within the config file.

You do know that those are commented out? you can write your life's story and comment it out

Quote:
decide to help each other out.

I guess you don't know your internet's forums. Amiga ones are the better ones. Comparing to something like avsforums a forum of experts dedicated to just one thing without any care in the world is troublesome. We can always improve.

* Regarding DosBox, I recently bought System Shock (3D) from GOG and tried it and it was slow. We really need opengl in DosBox and I wonder based on scummvm's implemetation of it if it's such a difficult task to pull off.

Last edited by Srtest on 04-Oct-2017 at 01:58 PM.
Last edited by Srtest on 04-Oct-2017 at 01:57 PM.

Seiya 
Posted on 12-Jan-2023 17:35:52
#365 ]

watch in full screen
https://youtu.be/vyHYmyNHMTw

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 14-Jan-2023 0:34:26
#366 ]
Elite Member

@Seiya

Feels like a Paradox, reading this old topic, considering the time I have spent on EUAE now.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 14-Jan-2023 at 12:34 AM.

kolla 
Posted on 14-Jan-2023 9:07:12
#367 ]
Elite Member

@Seiya

We also need reflective bezels!

https://youtu.be/ifVm7kwX13A

Last edited by kolla on 14-Jan-2023 at 09:08 AM.

Seiya 
Posted on 14-Jan-2023 20:23:19
#368 ]

@kolla
yes, reflective is better, but it seems the effect was little confusing when you play.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle