Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
20 crawler(s) on-line.
 130 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  5 mins ago
 BigD:  6 mins ago
 zErec:  13 mins ago
 amigakit:  16 mins ago
 retrofaza:  45 mins ago
 kolla:  59 mins ago
 edwardsjethro:  1 hr 51 mins ago
 joeyunderwood:  1 hr 52 mins ago
 Sikharubel:  1 hr 55 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  2 hrs 18 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga News & Events
      /  Change in Amiga.org ownership
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
number6 
Change in Amiga.org ownership
Posted on 10-Jun-2014 23:21:44
#1 ]
Elite Member

@all

Although an official news release is slated to follow, this is the first time Trevor has commented about the change, so I believe it's worthy of starting a thread at this time:

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost.php?p=766172&postcount=48

Profile     Report this post  
Severin 
Re: Change in Amiga.org ownership
Posted on 10-Jun-2014 23:56:54
#2 ]
Elite Member

@number6

Time to muck out the trolls eh?

Visit the Official OS4 Support Site for more help.

It may be that your sole purpose is to serve as a warning to others.

Yogi27 
Posted on 11-Jun-2014 0:19:34
#3 ]

@Severin

Hi Everyone,

I couldn't agree more Severin. I used to have an account on Amiga.org since I have been an Amiga user since the 1980s. When I gave away my classic Amigas and moved along to the next gen Amigaones, anything I would post on amiga.org was immediately attacked. It was ridiculous. I eventually just gave up on the site, seeing that next gen Amiga user were not welcome (well, at least OS 4 users), and had my account deleted.

I am hoping that with A-Eon taking over, the site will become more open now, and if that is the case, I will join amiga.org again.

Yogi

klx300r 
Posted on 11-Jun-2014 0:52:40
#4 ]
Elite Member

@Yogi27

+1 and shhhhhh you hear that scamper ...it's the sound of trolls scurrying before the new landlords start the fire

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

amigadave 
Posted on 11-Jun-2014 1:10:19
#5 ]

@Severin

Quote:

Severin wrote:
@number6

Time to muck out the trolls eh?

I hope that is one of the new owners priorities, but only time will tell what changes will be made, if any.

Overflow 
Posted on 11-Jun-2014 7:28:29
#6 ]

Ive seen some "hostile" posting both here and there, and I can see how it ruins your intrest in posting.

But after xx years as a forum lurker on a wide range of forums; if you just post what you got to say and ignore the obvious trolls, then they eventually give up trying to rattle your cage.

Maybe Im being naive tho

Either way, I think its a good move for amiga.org. I enjoy reading about both NG (any version, I even read morphOS forum from time to time) and Classic, and never understood why it gotta be either or.

OlafS25 
Posted on 11-Jun-2014 8:11:53
#7 ]
Elite Member

@Severin

Putin also could have said that.,. for me it sounds like censorship

people should have the right to say their opinion even if it is controversial or a minority view (without being insulting of course). And that OS4 topics partly polarize has to do with OS4 users/devs (f.e. the Friedens) too. I found accidently threads where people politely and without any aggression discussed something and one of the Friedens appeared and stroke around. Or I can remember one thread where someone politely asked one of the Friedens if it were possible to compile a 68k version of Warp3D. Answer was: "I could but I do not. Buy AmigaOS". I assume that the person that asked neither bought AmigaOS nor had any good view of the Friedens. And even if there are some you call "trolls" then why not simply ignore them instead? The majority is not "trolling". Or is already trolling when you have a view that is not conform to the majority of AmigaOS users and expecially Hyperion/A-eon? I have often too then I am a Troll too (one already named me that way).

utri007 
Posted on 11-Jun-2014 8:23:03
#8 ]

@OlafS25

OK :D

olegil 
Posted on 11-Jun-2014 8:51:36
#9 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

For the last time, being categorized a troll is not about saying things in online forums. It's about trolling. You mean you STILL don't know the difference?

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

OlafS25 
Posted on 11-Jun-2014 9:02:01
#10 ]
Elite Member

@olegil

The name "Troll" was used exponentially over the last years often when people expressed a nonconform view. Why needing that everywhere? For that you already have the special forums like amigans.net. Amiga.org was a more 68k orientated forum, if now is tried to make it a kind of NG forum or a selling platform for one of flavors the crowd will leave.

Explain me when somebody is "trolling"? I saw people use this word when people expressed a different view expecially in AmigaOS related threads. I would not call that already "trolling" but it was called that way.

amigang 
Posted on 11-Jun-2014 9:29:58
#11 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

did'nt expect this news, pretty neat, hope they can revive amiga.org a bit, so does this mean that discreetfx have left the amiga scene, surprise they haven't posted anything.

Daedalus 
Posted on 11-Jun-2014 9:38:43
#12 ]

@OlafS25

I don't care what it's called, but when you're constantly told you made the wrong choice of platform, and even suggested to be stupid or slow, purely because you're posting about OS4, it does quite effectively drain any enjoyment you might get out of particular site. I can deal with trolling, disagreements and what not, but when it's a constant, relentless thing it just takes away any desire I have for posting there, and that's why haven't bothered visiting in a long, long time.

It doesn't matter whether it's a minority or not, and it doesn't matter whether you call it trolling or freedom of speech, I have better things to do that put up with that sort of behaviour, and I'm sure I'm not alone there. Maybe things will improve, maybe they won't. Only time will tell. But I wouldn't be bothered going back there any time soon.

And the thing is, I also want balance and I'm a user of all 4 Amiga-ish platforms, but balance is all about perspective and I understand that.

I also understand that there are a minority of OS4 fans who post crazy and inflammatory things, and that's not good either. But on A.org I have seen my posts and those of other more level-headed people bundled into the same categories as these"extremists" posts, where equivalent ramblings from other "sides" are quietly accepted, and that, in my humble opinion, is not balance.

OlafS25 
Posted on 11-Jun-2014 9:48:52
#13 ]
Elite Member

@Daedalus

calling people stupid or similar is not ok and most people who have decided for one of the choices have done that knowing the situation and with intention. So I agree it makes no sense to tell the people they have done the wrong choice and instead persuading by the better offers.

The problem is (how I saw it in recent years) that the situation had heated up to a degree where every critisizm was seen as a personal attack and responded the same way. And when f.e. Hyperion/Friedens were critisized (rightful or not) it was not discussed politely but it seemed that many of the users build a kind of wall so people outside started to see AmigaOS fans as a group and fanatics. Perhaps the impression was (and is) wrong but that is how it could seen. The loudest persons make most noise and the others were not visible in the discussions. Perhaps it would be good if the moderate persons would be visible too when the minority starts to become loud.

Rob 
Posted on 11-Jun-2014 10:04:23
#14 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Trolling is generally behaviour intended to cause as nuisance.
Posting the same opinion over and over again in every thread related to a particular topic is likely to cause a nuisance.

Because of the amount of historical infighting and trolling within the Amiga community sometimes people can be a bit over-sensitive and see something as trolling when it isn't.

OlafS25 
Posted on 11-Jun-2014 10:17:20
#15 ]
Elite Member

@Rob

Perhaps that problem was solved by the time because some of the loudest supporters seems to post not anymore. And the rest should not react so much emotionally but with facts or simply ignore the posts. When nobody reacts or only with facts it is becoming boring for people who want "trolling". As I said the loudest people made the music (or better noise) and influenced heavily how people looked at the whole group.

Regarding amiga.org it is a forum mostly used and read by 68k fans. It might be a big chance for A-eon/Amigakit if they use the chance wisely, if they use it wrong they will anger a lot of people (who then will leave).

Last edited by OlafS25 on 11-Jun-2014 at 10:21 AM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 11-Jun-2014 at 10:19 AM.

Xmas87 
Posted on 11-Jun-2014 10:24:47
#16 ]

@OlafS25

You seem to be ignoring the fact that AmigaKit produce and supply some awesome gear for 68k/classic Amigas.

Rob 
Posted on 11-Jun-2014 10:25:23
#17 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
The problem is (how I saw it in recent years) that the situation had heated up to a degree where every critisizm was seen as a personal attack and responded the same way. And when f.e. Hyperion/Friedens were critisized (rightful or not) it was not discussed politely but it seemed that many of the users build a kind of wall so people outside started to see AmigaOS fans as a group and fanatics. Perhaps the impression was (and is) wrong

A bit like this post from me, which was seen as some kind of attack. It wasn't even opinion, just fact.

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost.php?p=756889&postcount=77

KimmoK 
Posted on 11-Jun-2014 10:27:57
#18 ]
Elite Member

mzone - blue
amigans - red
amigaworld - ng multicolour
amiga.org - multicolour+68k ?

Interesting to see how .org evolves....

(amiga.com - aaaargh!)

Last edited by KimmoK on 11-Jun-2014 at 10:28 AM.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

Rob 
Posted on 11-Jun-2014 10:29:15
#19 ]
Elite Member

@Xmas87

They also sold Pegasos 2 and Efika while they were available.

OlafS25 
Posted on 11-Jun-2014 10:30:08
#20 ]
Elite Member

@Xmas87

sorry but if you mention Amigakit I have to answer...

they have made every posting to a kind of X1000 PR statement including linking with their shop. So clearly they are most interested to sell X1000s (and successors)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle