Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
20 crawler(s) on-line.
 90 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Karlos

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Karlos:  55 secs ago
 pixie:  17 mins ago
 agami:  30 mins ago
 bhabbott:  39 mins ago
 amigakit:  58 mins ago
 Vidar:  2 hrs 34 mins ago
 AmigaPapst:  2 hrs 44 mins ago
 RobertB:  3 hrs 3 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  3 hrs 34 mins ago
 Swisso:  3 hrs 51 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  How to mount an unrecognized FAT32 partition?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
NutsAboutAmiga 
Re: How to mount an unrecognized FAT32 partition?
Posted on 5-Jul-2014 16:22:02
#21 ]
Elite Member

@Severin

Quote:
The reason makes little difference to the end user when the software has never worked on the X1000. That's around 3 years without FFS2 partition maintenance and recovery software.

I share your pain, there are some things that I believe should be changed in AmigaOS, where I see no interest from the OS4 development team, where I know I be able to fix it my self If I was only given access.

Profile     Report this post  
Deniil715 
Posted on 5-Jul-2014 17:37:30
#22 ]
Elite Member

@AlexC

Yes I can read all other USB devices; disks, sticks, cards.

I just took out my XE and plugged in the disk: It read perfectly fine and mounted BBK: automatically and allowed med to click on ABK: to read that as well. I copied ABK: DOSdriver to the X1000, but it doesn't work.

I think the USB something on X1000 (or later OS4 versions) just ignores the fact that RDB can be on any sector between 0-15. Still, why it doesn't mount BBK is strange and annoying since I cannot automatically create a mountlist for that parition.

I'm going to try with the masstorage file from the XE: massstorage.usbfd 53.13 (2011-06-29)

@Nuts

Yeah, PW probably hits some unexpected component when scanning devices. Device scanning can be tricky and I knew a few programs that would crash when finding a certain device. I know I made explicit exceptions in the CodeAudio CD detection code.

Probably something simple, just impossible to test on a non-X1000 machine.

Deniil715 
Posted on 5-Jul-2014 18:35:08
#23 ]
Elite Member

Looks like the bugs are pouring in:

Calling C:Mount with the DEBUG keyword makes it output some random error on the last line. Like ""1" is not a valid keyword". Of course there is no "1" at that place in the file. But without the debug keyword the device is added and has to be removed by assign.

@Nuts: Thanks for the dismount option

Deniil715 
Posted on 5-Jul-2014 19:56:26
#24 ]
Elite Member

NEWS!!!

After destroying my kicklayout and had to put the X1000 disk in my XE with a SATA->USB adapter to fix it (because I have been too lazy to create a bootable backup!! ) I have gotten my USB disk to work by reverting massstorage.usbfd to an older version!

X1000: massstorage.usbfd 53.37 (2014-02-02)
A1-XE: massstorage.usbfd 53.13 (2011-06-29)

v53.13 works (but it probably has other bugs).

Hypex 
Posted on 10-Jul-2014 16:33:10
#25 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
It might be that its not PartitionWizard that is at fault at all, maybe some thing in the sb600sata.device that is not implemented or maybe there is a bug in sb600sata.device.

PartitionWizard works similar to MediaToolbox, it would use services like sb600sata.device to read and write blocks of data. So if there was a problem there it should show up with MediaToolbox. But here that works just fine.

Thew problem seems to be in the setup stage. Because no windows show up and I have seen an error running from the shell about an invalid resident library at one time. But running from Workbench gives no such error.

I checked the Snoopy output and nothing out of the ordinary there. There is no sign it tried to open a library either. I'm not aware of any SOBJECTS being used as they tend to act that way. They are loaded by the OS so if one won't load you wonn't see an error about it. Not one looking related anyway.

Quote:
It's not broken beyond repair, nonsense.

Well it's been that way for three years I read so that suggests even if it's not broken beyond repair it won't be fixed. Not soon. OS4 is deemed complete on the X1000 so I wouldn't expect it to show up soon. Woud be nice if so.

Quote:
In Excalibur I used the a wrong TAG for a gadtools scroller, it worked in few versins of AmigaOS4.0 with out problems, but then after installing update 4 I belive, Excalibur just lucked up,

I've had the samne sort of thing happen. In a commodity I was working on it was fine in one OS4 and the next it crashed Turned out I had mis-abused the DOS API to such an extent I was shocked to find out what I was doing. And given I kept my code as clean as I could and following the API it was almost an insult to find out my code was so dirty. You can be as clean as you want but somehow the dirt just creeps in and messes up the place.

Severin 
Posted on 10-Jul-2014 16:50:23
#26 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:
Thew problem seems to be in the setup stage. Because no windows show up and I have seen an error running from the shell about an invalid resident library at one time. But running from Workbench gives no such error.

I get an error requester popping up saying something like "unable to open gui" when running from workbench. If I click it's button my whole system locks up instead of PW just cleaning up and exiting nicely or maybe that's what it's trying to do. could be differences in CFE and UBOOT if it's trying to read boot args etc... Only one person knows and he isn't talking...

Visit the Official OS4 Support Site for more help.

It may be that your sole purpose is to serve as a warning to others.

Hypex 
Posted on 11-Jul-2014 15:28:12
#27 ]
Elite Member

@Severin

I was talking about the public version, which doesn't work, but is actually stable.

Yours sounds like a beta. I have seen that result too.

I don't know why it would need to read any firmware variables, what could they tell it? In any case, AFAIK only the kernel can read these, and not many other OS components. The X1000 doesn't even have an NVGetVar. For some reason when the NVRAM API was extended on the A1 they tied it to UBoot.

But if this is all about one person knowing and not talking, I thought we were past those Amiga politics. "Yeah, let's hold back OS4 development, beacause I have an agenda and can't get over mnyself." That is total BS.

Could you imagine Windows or OSX being held back because the coder of the partitioner made demands and hijacked the code? That's the problem with OS4 being a poor OS, there is no money to pay for any real work to be done, and coders just abuse that fact.

Last edited by Hypex on 12-Jul-2014 at 04:46 PM.

Severin 
Posted on 11-Jul-2014 16:25:31
#28 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:
PartitionWizard works similar to MediaToolbox, it would use services like sb600sata.device to read and write blocks of data. So if there was a problem there it should show up with MediaToolbox. But here that works just fine.

Partition wizard and media toolbox have different maintainers and there is one significant factor that affects Partition Wizard but not Media Toolbox.

Quote:
I was talking about the public version, which doesn't work, but is actually stable.

Yours sounds like a beta. I have seen that result too.

AFAIK my version IS the public version, it's:

PartitionWizard 53.4 (12/12/2010)
(c) 2010 by Joerg Strohmayer

I didn't get my X1000 until late 2011.

Visit the Official OS4 Support Site for more help.

It may be that your sole purpose is to serve as a warning to others.

Hypex 
Posted on 12-Jul-2014 16:59:37
#29 ]
Elite Member

@Severin

Quote:
Partition wizard and media toolbox have different maintainers and there is one significant factor that affects Partition Wizard but not Media Toolbox.

Such as? Or was the maintainer your point?

Quote:
AFAIK my version IS the public version, it's:

I just checked and mine is
PartitionWizard 53.3 (19/10/2008)

My system is up to date.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 13-Jul-2014 20:47:18
#30 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

I have also 53.3 (19.10.2008)

Severin is a beta tester so he has some thing newer, anyway if the newer one is also broken and out of date, it does not matter what version we have.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 13-Jul-2014 at 08:48 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 13-Jul-2014 21:07:39
#31 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:
Could you imagine Windows or OSX being held back because the coder of the partitioner made demands and hijacked the code? That's the problem with OS4 being a poor OS, there is no money to pay for any real work to be done, and coders just abuse that fact.

We don't know and we should not spread rummers or start anything, they are under NDA; and can't talk about it.
No matter what I be suppressed if they do not have a repository, where code is submitted.

in any case JXFS/SFS/SFS2 all have the hidden .recycled folder so if you delete some thing by accident you find it there.
FFS does not have that but its slow and should not be used anyway.

I'm shore they will need to make new recovery tools for SFS2 and JXFS filesystems, to recover some thing you need some thing to be broken, to know what can go wrong, and as disks become more reliable its harder to make disk break, shore it should be possible to create some validation routines, to check if block headers and CRC are valid. But it does not make it recoverable. To make things recoverable you need to have a different way to obtain the correct information.

In any case if its overwritten, then some thing is missing, and it might not be possible to recover any data.

But that's no excuse the fact that they include some thing on retail CD that can't be used. It looks unprofessional.

Hypex 
Posted on 14-Jul-2014 15:01:07
#32 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
Severin is a beta tester so he has some thing newer

Yes I know and infact so am I. However I was purposely sticking to the public version of PW. For obvious reasons.

Quote:
We don't know

No we don't but Amiga history has had it's fair share of politics. Developers getting upset over users or piracy of code. Or getting insulted when users ask questions. Or demanding control and making ransome demands.

What I do know is that 100 beta testers applied for the X1000 program so there's no shortage of us.

Quote:
FFS does not have that but its slow and should not be used anyway.

It's fine for reading. But, if could be said that all Amiga filesystems should not be used.

Quote:
I'm shore they will need to make new recovery tools for SFS2 and JXFS filesystems,

Well AFAIK those filesystems are abandoned. Infact I can't find the main site. And even the FAQ says there is no SFS2 recovery tool. So every 64-bit filesystem we use is at risk. SFS2 and JXFS included. I don't know what JXFS is supposed to mean but in the outsiede world is is some Java extension.

SFS can at least be salvaged from PW.

Quote:
But that's no excuse the fact that they include some thing on retail CD that can't be used. It looks unprofessional.

I agree. And it's obvious there not enough money or time going into it. It is a hobby OS for both developers and users. Some developers give there time freely, others give there time sparely. In an Amiga perfect world they would both work full time and be paid for it.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle