Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 142 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

OneTimer1

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OneTimer1:  1 min ago
 Rob:  11 mins ago
 matthey:  17 mins ago
 amigakit:  54 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr 35 mins ago
 pavlor:  2 hrs 8 mins ago
 VooDoo:  2 hrs 8 mins ago
 OldFart:  2 hrs 45 mins ago
 zipper:  3 hrs 6 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  What happens to Amiga when we are all dead (or worse)
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
Ancalimon 
Re: What happens to Amiga when we are all dead (or worse)
Posted on 9-Jul-2014 8:20:55
#41 ]

@Britelite

I grew up also with PC's... :) (like most of the people here) Amiga really is different.

Many of my friends who only owned a PC envied me but did not use Amigas for varying reasons.

(for example a friend who really liked Amiga was an adventure game freak and there were simply much more adventure games for PC and they were usually better and 256 colours. I even considered getting a PC so that I could play all those great adventure games.. But spent my money on upgrading my A1200 and later getting the best Amiga ever and played and finished all those games I missed after finding a PC in the trash around 2004)

Last edited by Ancalimon on 09-Jul-2014 at 08:28 AM.
Last edited by Ancalimon on 09-Jul-2014 at 08:28 AM.
Last edited by Ancalimon on 09-Jul-2014 at 08:26 AM.
Last edited by Ancalimon on 09-Jul-2014 at 08:21 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
Britelite 
Posted on 9-Jul-2014 8:29:24
#42 ]

@Ancalimon

Quote:
I grew up also with PC's... :) (like most of the people here) Amiga really is different.

Like I said, it may be different for YOU, but most people couldn't care less.

danwood 
Posted on 9-Jul-2014 12:53:57
#43 ]

I don't really agree with bringing your kids up on Amigas really. Fine, show them "what dad was into when I was your age", but I see a lot of posts on forums/social media of dads in their late 20s-40s raising their kids on NES, Megadrives, Amigas etc.

It seems we can be a bit blinded by our own nostalgia and we're trying to re-live our childhood through our kids, but in reality their friends are all on PS4s and Xbox Ones, not Amigas, they need to relate to their own generation.

Reminds me of this dad who thinks today's music is all crap so buys his daughter vinyl he had as a kid...

http://onion.com/1la9Vj3

Last edited by danwood on 09-Jul-2014 at 12:55 PM.

Framiga 
Posted on 9-Jul-2014 13:37:35
#44 ]
Elite Member

@danwood

look at her face :-/ she will get out of family house very soon!!!

danwood 
Posted on 9-Jul-2014 14:36:40
#45 ]

@Framiga

"yaaay... another vinyl"

fishy_fis 
Posted on 9-Jul-2014 15:10:26
#46 ]
Elite Member

This is a little tongue in cheek, so dont take offense, but how is someone simultaneously bought up on pcs also getting their 1st pc from the trash in 2004? :P.

Seriously though there's definite parallels between machines of an era, be it pc, amiga, mac, whatever. Heck apart from the custom chipset a lot of it is the same hardware.
Ive recently been getting into pcs from the times I focused on amiga (486 through to early pentium2's) and was surprised by how much fun it is.
Different software for fnie tuning, customising, etc. the system, but much the same sort of experience and just as fun.
One thing that has stood out is how much amiga owners were short changed in regards to gaming in the 90's. Compared to what was available to pcs (windows and dos at least) we missed out on a lot of good stuff and instead got 80's style games over and over. This wasnt just because of specs either, there's a plethora of games that run fine on 386/486/low end pentiums that couldve worked well on any moderately expanded amiga.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 9-Jul-2014 15:35:34
#47 ]
Elite Member

@danwood

Damn, poor kid. Not only is the father robbing her of growing up with her peers and having common interests with people her own age, he's discouraging the concept of personal taste and opinion and teaching her dictatorship is ok. What he's doing is a subtle form of child abuse.
While a lot of mass marketted entertainment is garbage with no merrit, learning this yourself is part of growing up. Take this away from someone and youre taking away a valuable learning experience.

I really feel for this girl. Her father is crippling her and seems oblivious to the fact. I hope Im wrong, but she'll probably make some bad choices in life once she has the power to make her own choices as she'll have never had the experience doing it before.

danwood 
Posted on 9-Jul-2014 17:30:31
#48 ]

@fishy_fis

Well it's in the Onion, so it's satire, but my point still stands, there are dads who raise their kids on old computers just like this guy does on old records.

klx300r 
Posted on 9-Jul-2014 17:38:01
#49 ]
Elite Member

@ danwood

don't know what's up with the vinyl guy LOL

but I can tell you that my kids have access to Wii, WiiU, XBox, Xbox360, tablets, PC's, and c64's and Amigas and STILL their favourite game just happens to a C64 game called Quod Init Exit linky AND best part is it's not old but just released last year my kids affectionately call it 'the piggy game'

Believe it or not kids can distinguish between fun, original games and those that are basically the same over and over again. Don't get me wrong they also love Super Mario & Princess Peach

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

edponpon 
Posted on 9-Jul-2014 17:43:26
#50 ]

What happens to Amiga when we are all dead. . . That brings up a good point. I suppose if you have people like me, and many others here it seems, you'll tinker with some of the cooler older technology. My existing Amigas work just fine, so I think these will be good to go for awhile at least. Can't say the same for some of the floppy disks though; some have been having read errors and have corruption issues. The new Amigas should keep this generation and our generation interested, because it is still quite good. The other thing I'd say that would keep Amiga alive for many years is both Amiga Forever, and the unfortunate, pirated games and emulation.

Ed

Last edited by edponpon on 09-Jul-2014 at 05:50 PM.

AmigaOne X5000

Raspberry PI 400 - PiMiga 1.5
"That which doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger" - Someone important, but I forgot who

fishy_fis 
Posted on 9-Jul-2014 17:45:28
#51 ]
Elite Member

@danwood

Ah, damn I feel a bit silly now then. I got myself all worked up feeling bad for the girl :)
Im not really familiar with theonion. Id heard of it, but thought it was just weird stuff rather than actual sattire.

And speaking of weird stuff, did anyone hear about the guy who got busted with a dinosaur skeleton,........
Life truly is stranger than fiction :)

klx300r 
Posted on 9-Jul-2014 17:46:10
#52 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

danwood wrote:
@fishy_fis

Well it's in the Onion, so it's satire, but my point still stands, there are dads who raise their kids on old computers just like this guy does on old records.

I have to laugh at these comments because it's only natural that a parent will expose their children to things that they were/are exposed to and interested in themselves. To those without kids, this may sound like 'brain washing' but to parents they can only wish they can 'brainwash' their kids that easily

My father was/still is a massive soccer fan and although I grew up with everything soccer my chosen sport that I grew up playing was hockey much to my fathers 'attempts' at 'brain washing' me

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

bison 
Posted on 9-Jul-2014 18:27:13
#53 ]
Elite Member

@Britelite

Quote:
They're only different for US, the people who grew up with them. The rest couldn't care less about some ancient piece of junk.

And we are not the first. Someone somewhere has a punched card reader in their basement.

Update -- and here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6auO8djKRrM

Last edited by bison on 09-Jul-2014 at 06:30 PM.

Britelite 
Posted on 9-Jul-2014 19:04:05
#54 ]

@bison

Quote:

And we are not the first. Someone somewhere has a punched card reader in their basement.

Exactly, just like the kids of today will have warm, fuzzy memories of their first Xbox360 or PS3 when they grow older :)

realize 
Posted on 10-Jul-2014 4:05:26
#55 ]

@g0blin

Quote:
Yeah, like an ancient Pharaoh

But I'm costantly brainwashing my 9 year old kid to use my Amiga's. Just in case.

\hahah like a pharaoh!

Anytime I put a kid in front of an amiga they love it. Amigas / Ataris/ and other old systems are way more fun for kids than xbox. There are alot of cutsie games they like alot. Beats the hell out of lame ass Lego xbox games talk about over saturating their senses! Young kids arent even neurologically developed enough to lay these HD games.

DiscreetFX 
Posted on 10-Jul-2014 6:54:40
#56 ]
Elite Member

@Ancalimon

The Amiga is like a timeless old classic. It will exist forever or at least til the end of time.

serk118 
Posted on 10-Jul-2014 14:14:24
#57 ]
Cult Member

@Ancalimon

-1 one until all gone and than amiga will be nothing more than emulation for next OS..

i giveup on Amiga's route and reroute my hobby at http://aros-exec.org/ and keep opensource AMIGA=AROS alive...

http://serk118.blogspot.com/

Hypex 
Posted on 10-Jul-2014 15:32:36
#58 ]
Elite Member

@danwood

Quote:
"yaaay... another vinyl"

He could compromise and instead buy her Eminem on vinyl. Bui I don't see the point of putting rap music on a 12" disc without an extended mix. But that's just me.

Indeed, who is going to buy new rap music on vinyl anyway? I just don't see a market. Is it for young people who want to get their dad interested in rap music? I can't see any other resaon for doing it at twice the price of the CD version; with mp3 downloads added for a joke, right?

What's a record player?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle