Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
33 crawler(s) on-line.
 42 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

pixie

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pixie:  4 mins ago
 matthey:  5 mins ago
 Rob:  5 mins ago
 FerruleMedia:  12 mins ago
 amigakit:  26 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  40 mins ago
 Dragster:  42 mins ago
 Karlos:  49 mins ago
 bhabbott:  1 hr 25 mins ago
 amig_os:  1 hr 45 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Amiga's future, or lack of
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
PosterThread
thinkchip 
Amiga's future, or lack of
Posted on 19-Jul-2014 15:05:40
#1 ]

It's hard to feel alarm about something that goes so slow. Like a train wreck that goes on for years. After a while you get used to it. What's really alarming is coming back to this (or any Amiga web site) after a year and it seems like the same people are saying the same things and nothing has changed. It's frightening that topics that are five years old seem current -- and they actually are. Amiga users are 30 years older than they were when the Amiga 1000 came out. They're getting old. After a while they're going to move on, either to heaven or the rest home. There aren't any new Amiga users. People talk about Amiga OS 4.2. But nobody knows anything about it except the person who works on it after the grandkids have gone to bed. It's hard to feel excited about new hardware that is already obsolete by the time it's wended its way through the development process. It's obsolete when the first engineer draws the first line on the first design drawings. I'm very against NDA's. It seems like the only purpose of them is to keep people in the dark so they don't know how slow progress is. There is no competition to steal decades-old "secrets". I think loyal Amiga users deserve to know everything before they die. Is the marketing strategy to wait until all desktops have disappeared and then bring out something "new" called a desktop computer?

Last edited by thinkchip on 19-Jul-2014 at 03:10 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
number6 
Re: Amiga's future, or lack of
Posted on 19-Jul-2014 15:27:56
#2 ]
Elite Member

@thinkchip

Quote:
I'm very against NDA's. It seems like the only purpose of them is to keep people in the dark so they don't know how slow progress is.

They also assist people in being deceptive and/or to protect their interests.

Quote:
it seems like the same people are saying the same things and nothing has changed.

Frankly if the IP wasn't such a minefield, you wouldn't have to deal with all of this as a user who merely wants honest input about status. The second quote is somewhat tied to your first. Change won't come from extreme protectionism. But that is the constraint those trying to push things forward have to function under.

pavlor 
Posted on 19-Jul-2014 15:28:25
#3 ]
Elite Member

@thinkchip

http://blog.hyperion-entertainment.biz/

Last post May 22, 2014.

Quote:
They're getting old

I´m only 1 year older than Amiga. Eastern european Amiga community is younger than western european.

Quote:
It seems like the only purpose of them is to keep people in the dark so they don't know how slow progress is.

After so many ufulfilled promises of many Amiga companies (including Hyperion...), Hyperion probably thinks this silence is better.

OlafS25 
Posted on 19-Jul-2014 15:31:45
#4 ]
Elite Member

@thinkchip

I do not share this view, except perhaps if you reduce Amiga to AmigaOS4 (and there should other comment). There is pretty much activity on the 68k platform with new accellerators soon (fast processor, 128 MB, FPGA, LAN, modern output to monitor...) and I am busy with my own main interest (Aros 68k), Aros in general is also evolving including ARM as a new main platform and Arix as a new commercial branch, two App Stores are getting ready, MorphOS is supporting G5 now and new updates available. On AmigaOS there are new third party software available including MUI4, OWB and Magellan. So pretty much activity I would say

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 19-Jul-2014 15:45:00
#5 ]

@OlafS25
I Share your thoughts. Amiga was Never More exciting (as a Hobby).
Musicans and Designer and especially related to the Retro style of Games can Even do their Job with amigas. (Amigas = aros, amiga os and morphOS)
There will be more things than AppStores which will bring amigas a Little Bit more on eyeheight with Mainstream.

Aeros bring's a "normal" desktop experience enjoyable by non linux Users since Apps are placed wherever a user likes to Place them.

Last edited by phoenixkonsole on 19-Jul-2014 at 03:45 PM.

jaokim 
Posted on 19-Jul-2014 16:08:27
#6 ]

@thinkchip

I don't understand why it is so important to exactly know how the future will be. Why not just be happy with what is here now, and help create the future you want?
I don't understand how knowing when OS 4.2 will be released is somehow going to change your current experience with 4.1 (or whatever application/OS/version you use).

No one, unless lying, can promise a huge user-base, multiple commercial killer applications, or new super-duper versions of what-not. At least, it seems that's what you (and others) demand.

zzd10h 
Posted on 19-Jul-2014 16:27:04
#7 ]
Amiga Developer Team

Last edited by zzd10h on 19-Jul-2014 at 10:06 PM.

Spectre660 
Posted on 19-Jul-2014 16:59:24
#8 ]
Elite Member

@thinkchip

Have you really been away for a year ?

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38969&forum=14&start=100&viewmode=flat&order=0#733314

number6 
Posted on 19-Jul-2014 17:05:43
#9 ]
Elite Member

@Spectre660

maybe he meant a month?
He might be talking about usage time vs the past.
Actually it reads more like an observance of what he believes someone coming back after a year would conclude.

Last edited by number6 on 19-Jul-2014 at 05:14 PM.

klx300r 
Posted on 19-Jul-2014 17:46:27
#10 ]
Elite Member

@thinkchip

seems like a glass half full day

I must admit, as an X1000 user, that waiting for the onboard ethernet to be finally released is frustrating to say the least as I really need the extra PCI slot open and of course the long awaited FULL 3D is something ALL OS4.1/2 users are lusting for. That being said I'm quite happy with all the 3rd party releases this past few years and just smile every time there's an update via AmiUpdate

btw, IMHO, NDA's are essential to keep the Beta Testers/Developers testing and focused rather than being distracted by 1 million variables out in the 'open' fora.

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

BigD 
Posted on 19-Jul-2014 20:29:48
#11 ]
Elite Member

@thinkchip

It is what it is. Amiga Inc missed the rise of the smart phone, the tablet craze and lost control of their Amiga Operating System to Hyperion. The only think of note they ever created was a Christmas card maker! We're lucky A-Eon and Hyperion fly the flag for the Amiga at all. The fact that SMP is being worked and there is a machine that can utilise it is available for sale right now (X1000) again is a mini miracle. Every day that the Amiga community and Amiga companies persevere is a bonus. The world would be a grey dull place with no Amiga alternative.

The PA-6T was a good choice but made end-of line by Apple The Freescale chips will create good A-EON machines and software is developing. The AmiStore is a great idea, all is not lost!

Last edited by BigD on 19-Jul-2014 at 08:30 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 19-Jul-2014 21:24:30
#12 ]
Elite Member

@thinkchip

AmigaOS wants you.

Ask not what AmigaOS can do for you, but what you can do for AmigaOS.

People thinks the only thing they can do is complain about what some one else is trying to do, thats not true at all,

the people are ones in power, you are the ones with money in the pocket. Most developers are not making a living on AmigaOS or writing software for it, if you want things to progress faster this needs to change.

Get active by supporting developers, and there are other ways users can help the platform, and that's by being active writing blogs, doing translations, graphics, and make musics and sound effects that programs or games can use.

There is lot software that needs themes.

danwood 
Posted on 20-Jul-2014 0:01:41
#13 ]

@thinkchip

Quote:
Amiga users deserve to know everything before they die

Not all of us are on death's door. I'm 31 years old and know several Amiga fans and current users in person, and they range from mid 20s-40s. I think the userbase is older in America as most discovered the Amiga with the A1000 in early 80s, but over here in the UK the main market was kids/teens in the late 80s/early 90s, I was 9 years old when we got our first A500 and pretty much everyone I knew at school aged 9-15 had an Amiga back then, so I'd like to think we have a few years left in us yet.

thinkchip 
Posted on 20-Jul-2014 0:59:57
#14 ]

@Spectre660

No, I check in about once a month. However, there are topics that are many years old about "current" development.

thinkchip 
Posted on 20-Jul-2014 1:28:38
#15 ]

@jaokim

There are many essential features that OS 4.1 lacks that are hoped for in OS 4.2. There are plenty of postings about what these features are, so I won't go into them. On the other hand, we have to wait for OS 4.2 to get them all at once.

Last edited by thinkchip on 20-Jul-2014 at 01:47 AM.

realize 
Posted on 20-Jul-2014 3:58:22
#16 ]

@thinkchip

You are very right on with what you are saying. The biggest two things that hurt amiga os4 ng efforts to me are

1. Decisions to port to alien hardware instead of focusing on new software apps and games and os features. Many many man hours of programming wasted on proprietary drivers for alien hardware.

2. Fanboyism. Yup, yesing people to death and abject fanboyism has lead to a very stale community.

as far as "4.2" goes seems a long way off. I really wish people would get away from the stupid multi core and smp support stuff. its quite foolish and there are many other practical things that need doing.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 20-Jul-2014 5:04:09
#17 ]
Elite Member

Drivers need to be written regardless of architecture.
Also, is there a single gpu, sound card or nic that is used for ng platforms that isnt from "mainstream" computing world? Drivers dont write themselves and its not just a matter of recompiling existing drivers. Once a certain bit of hardware has drivers for an amiga-oid system has been written is about the closest you'll get to a one size fits all option besides going the arix route, but even then its architecture specific.

Hondo 
Posted on 20-Jul-2014 7:43:06
#18 ]

To lighten up the mood I will allow myself to quote Mikey_C's GREAT signature

"No cause is lost if there is but one fool left to fight for it"

And we are many fools!

edit: corrected wrongspelling of Mikey_C's name (sorry man)

Last edited by Hondo on 21-Jul-2014 at 06:11 AM.
Last edited by Hondo on 21-Jul-2014 at 06:08 AM.
Last edited by Hondo on 20-Jul-2014 at 07:43 AM.

Mikey_C 
Posted on 20-Jul-2014 8:57:00
#19 ]
Elite Member

@Hondo

Its Mikey - I'm no blooming mouse!! :P

As to the whole amiga thing - Meh!

Marky_D_Sahdd 
Posted on 20-Jul-2014 10:09:38
#20 ]

@thinkchip
Okay, let's see...
In September, AmiStore will be available. Ads in Amiga Future tell us that the new music program "Score" will be available there, as well as other new software packages. Cherry Darling is working on new games, specifically "Ace of Spades," the follow up to "Ace of Hearts". This last year has seen major updates to DOpus, the release of "Putty Squad," (Both of those major surprizes, with little or no fanfare,) etc. There have been sitings of a revival of Brilliance. New accelerator cards are about to hit the market, new SAM boards are being manufactured, and the new uplevel AmigaOne machines are being tested. Is it slow? Yes. But there is progress. I think AmiWest might be a bit of a thrill this year!

Last edited by Marky_D_Sahdd on 20-Jul-2014 at 10:13 AM.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle