Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
14 crawler(s) on-line.
 119 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

Rob,  Beajar

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Beajar:  16 secs ago
 Rob:  2 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 agami:  1 hr 6 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr 25 mins ago
 OlafS25:  2 hrs 15 mins ago
 Bruce72:  2 hrs 17 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  3 hrs 4 mins ago
 t0lkien:  3 hrs 9 mins ago
 amigakit:  3 hrs 30 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  M$ buys Nokia and cancels it all...
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Deniil715 
M$ buys Nokia and cancels it all...
Posted on 21-Jul-2014 14:17:14
#1 ]
Elite Member

So our archenemy M$ buys Nokia and cancels it, isn't that typical.

What now? Everyone are going to buy M$ Lumia with WP8 instead - a failure that noone wants?

Profile     Report this post  
DWolfman 
Re: M$ buys Nokia and cancels it all...
Posted on 21-Jul-2014 14:21:33
#2 ]

@Deniil715

Nah, I wouldn't. Android for me.

Yes Nokia WAS one of the best mobile phone makers out there, but they lost after Android phones and iPhones came on the scene.

Me, I really like how Android works, so none of the Nokia smartphone models ever caught my eye. Last time I owned a Nokia was before the smartphones got really popular.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 21-Jul-2014 14:35:44
#3 ]
Elite Member

@Deniil715

They where dead from point they made first MS deal, if you go in the bead with devil your going to get b..t r*ped.

They should never have replaced there Mobile OS for Microsoft mobile crap.

daveyw 
Posted on 21-Jul-2014 18:40:46
#4 ]

@Deniil715

I recently switched from a Nokia Lumia 500 to a BlackBerry Z10. Great phone.

I'm surprised MicroSoft clung to the Nokia brand so long.

A1200T 40Mhz 68040, OS 3.9

Daedalus 
Posted on 21-Jul-2014 20:09:06
#5 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:

NutsAboutAmiga wrote:

They should never have replaced there Mobile OS for Microsoft mobile crap.

Absolutely. And to think they cancelled MeeGo / Maemo to jump to Windows Phone. I still maintain MeeGo is the best mobile OS I've ever used, and I've used all the big ones enough to know them well. But that's why I'll cling onto my N9 until it dies, and finally move onto Sailfish on a Jolla phone. It's the OS that Nokia should have today, but alas, not on Nokia hardware.

Deniil715 
Posted on 21-Jul-2014 20:56:31
#6 ]
Elite Member

Nokia never made any money on their smartphones. Their business was in the low-midend selling billions in developing countries. Our western smartphone business is just a piss in the sea. So what M$ did was to cancel the mid-range alltogether in order to force people into buying Lumias instead.

Android is the only competition in the midrange, but how WP8 is going to compete there will be interesting to see, considering its power requirements etc...

tomazkid 
Posted on 21-Jul-2014 22:06:45
#7 ]
Team Member

@Deniil715

Well, Jolla and Sailfish might be a good replacement.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 22-Jul-2014 1:00:21
#8 ]
Elite Member

Seriously, are people still clinging onto the whole "ms is the devil/enemy" nonsense?
Of the big 3 (google/apple/ms) they have the most appealing and least concerning products out there in my opinion.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 22-Jul-2014 1:11:52
#9 ]
Elite Member

@fishy_fis

Well MS has history of buying company’s and then bad things happens.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 22-Jul-2014 at 11:13 AM.

Overflow 
Posted on 22-Jul-2014 1:21:29
#10 ]

@fishy_fis

Well, I for one tends to like "the little guy", if for no other reason I want diversity and survival of options.
I dont like monopolies, tho not fanatical about it.

I might be wrong, but that might be why some people actually give Amiga Platforms the time of day (beyond nostalgica).

matthey 
Posted on 22-Jul-2014 3:31:12
#11 ]

Quote:

fishy_fis wrote:
Seriously, are people still clinging onto the whole "ms is the devil/enemy" nonsense?
Of the big 3 (google/apple/ms) they have the most appealing and least concerning products out there in my opinion.

M$ threatened big PC makers that tried to sell and support the Amiga as they did with Unix/Linux supporters. You lose your sweet heart licensing deals if you aren't exclusive to M$/Intel. M$ does just as much data collection and spying as Google and Apple. I get constant adds to update my M$ XP and scare tactic articles from M$ affiliates. They aren't shoving Windows 8 inferior interface down my throat like they do the whole world either. Why should I click several times to do the same thing in there non-standard GUI and learn where hidden gadgets with no visuals are located? All that to use an OS that is slower and takes more memory which matters for a laptop. The XBoX "control" and licensing requirements are outrageous also. Sony is closed source and proprietary but at least the consumer can breath and has some freedom. M$ is one of the first companies to sue with their extensive patent arsenal also.

Google is an advertising company and let you know they do data collection and targeted advertising at least. They generally aren't too annoying about it, other than allowing M$ to buy all the add space of XP users. I do get some of the targeted adds for a long time after 1 click somewhere. Google does give away a lot of free stuff. GMail is one of the best with the least amount of junk mail and POP3 access where I can avoid adds altogether. They don't seem to search my e-mails for advertisement targeting either. Google Earth, Google Maps and some of the online apps are nice and useful. Google tries to do some good things with technology and bring it to the consumer in a cheap way. It's difficult to do this without affecting some businesses and causing some controversy. They chose to open source Android for example. They are much smarter and less greedy than M$. They leave people with a choice to use there products or not. Their popularity shows what people think.

Apple is over proprietary and closed everything. You pay more to buy into their products which are generally high quality and easy to use at least. They mostly keep their advertising to their proprietary "stores" where it's less annoying. They don't even worry about the low end markets and people who choose not to pay up. Apple comes up with innovative and high quality hardware which it couples with organically created, ease to use and highly functional user interfaces. As huge and powerful as Apple is, they are not forcing anyone to use Apple products. I don't buy into the Apple culture personally but I do own APPL stock.

I don't have a problem with Google, Apple or Intel but I don't like M$. They don't innovate, make huge product mistakes and leverage their might, patents and affiliates to sell inferior products. Google is taking market share with Android and Apple could put them out of business by leveraging MacOS X but they are focused on high margin products.

Quote:

Overflow wrote:
Well, I for one tends to like "the little guy", if for no other reason I want diversity and survival of options. I dont like monopolies, tho not fanatical about it.

I might be wrong, but that might be why some people actually give Amiga Platforms the time of day (beyond nostalgica).

The same hear. Some of the big players aren't so bad but innovation and choice usually come from the little guys. Some people don't root for the small platforms like the Amiga and want one computer standard, filled with viruses and NSA spying I guess. It's difficult for me to understand but just try and get support for Amiga development outside of the Amiga forums.

I don't hold the Nokia takeover by M$ against them as an oligopoly maneuver, which it may first appear. M$ doesn't have anywhere near a monopoly in cell phones. Nokia knew that the trend was going to smart phones and it was hurting them and Motorola. I don't think they were forced into making a deal with M$. I think their sell out was a smart strategic move, with them retaining (shared with M$) many of the patents. M$ just made another big dollar blunder but now has a bigger patent arsenal. I wouldn't be surprised to see new lawsuits against Google and Apple by a company that never innovated anything in their lives. It's too bad that the Nokia OS and Blackberry OS are casualties of changing consumer habits. They are 2 of the better cell phone operating systems with a lot of potential.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 22-Jul-2014 3:34:57
#12 ]
Elite Member

Surely a dislike of monoplies should mean people are encouraging other options hab andeoid? :)
Anyway, far be it for me to tell people what to like. Id just assumed here'd be a bit more maturity amongst amiga fans being that we're adults bw, but it seems there's still a bit of the fanbism from the 90(s in some.

KimmoK 
Posted on 22-Jul-2014 6:37:05
#13 ]
Elite Member

@thread

I believe no one bought a PC because it somehow had a good OS.
It's the same for phones.

Money matters and with enough marketing you can sell anything.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

Deniil715 
Posted on 22-Jul-2014 9:56:03
#14 ]
Elite Member

@fishy_fis

Well I simply disagree. It is so clear in how they never do the little things to make the user experience good. They care absolutely *nothing* about their users. The only occurences it seems they made something good for the people is when it makes a big business sense.

The counter argument: "relax, it's just business". Of course it is, but why can't it be anything else, ever, at all??! Why should becoming a trillionaire be the only goal? They never do anything good, just to do good, like for example enabling to set the keyrepeat faster, or make configurable click-to-front behaviour, resizable requesters. It never happens. They just make silly things, like the "user library" instead of just using the file system.

M$ sucks, and they have always sucked, and they will always suck.

g0blin 
Posted on 22-Jul-2014 11:12:41
#15 ]
Cult Member

@matthey

+1

And it's the same thing on consoles market, where M$ keep reducing users freedom with very odd policies (just to say it in a polite manner).

Thanks God Sony kicked their asses big time with PSN and stuff last year ..

Cybersphere Page

Rob 
Posted on 22-Jul-2014 11:34:16
#16 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
Well MS has history of buying company’s and then bad things happens.

In the past MS has bought companies in order to kill off tech they didn't understand, just in case it could challenge their position in the market at a later date.

The Nokia purchase wasn't one of these type of investments. The plan was to turn Nokia around and make Windows Phone a serious contender. The plan didn't work and the result is that Nokia is going the way they would have had MS not purchased them.

CritAnime 
Posted on 22-Jul-2014 13:09:41
#17 ]
Cult Member

@daveyw

Quote:

daveyw wrote:
@Deniil715

I recently switched from a Nokia Lumia 500 to a BlackBerry Z10. Great phone.

I'm surprised MicroSoft clung to the Nokia brand so long.

And I moved form Z10 to iPhone. I miss my Blackberry, the OS is very nice, however I need stuff that I simply can't get on BB10.

Admin at Commodore Gaming Wiki

Deniil715 
Posted on 23-Jul-2014 8:00:27
#18 ]
Elite Member

@Rob

Quote:
The Nokia purchase wasn't one of these type of investments. The plan was to turn Nokia around and make Windows Phone a serious contender. The plan didn't work and the result is that Nokia is going the way they would have had MS not purchased them.

That's not entirely true. Nokia had three categories under two business units:

"Mobile Phones"
--- Entry level simple phones based on Symbian 30.
--- Mid-level "smart" phones (the Asha series; touch and keypad) based on Symbian 40-NG with Smarterphone* as UI since the last 2 years.

"Smart Devices"
--- Smart phones: N9 (Meego?) , Lumia (WP), Lumia X (Android).

What they did was to cancel pretty much all of "Mobile Devices", except a small group that will keep making S30 entry-level phones. N9 is history and Lumia X will be converted into using WP instead.

So they will be focusing only on Lumia and WP and stretch that layer downwords into the mid-level segment instead of continuing with S40-NG/Smarterphone.

So the remains will be a small group for S30, the Lumia factories and of course the in-house WP developers.

* I was part of Smarterphone (a small norwegian phone UI company, and also the name of our product) which was aquired by Nokia in 2011. Smarterphone is very flexible and can easily be ported to different platforms and maintain different phone model UIs in the same source tree by simple build flags (and virtually no #ifdefs).

CritAnime 
Posted on 23-Jul-2014 16:00:43
#19 ]
Cult Member

@Deniil715

Wasn't Smartphone OS rolled into the Asha OS that Nokia produced?

Admin at Commodore Gaming Wiki

Deniil715 
Posted on 24-Jul-2014 11:55:42
#20 ]
Elite Member

@CritAnime

Quote:
Wasn't Smartphone OS rolled into the Asha OS that Nokia produced?

"Smarterphone", yes, they were merged. Asha OS is Symbian 40. They ripped the UI (user interface) off S40 and named it S40-NG (Next Generation) at the same time as we ported Smarterphone to run on S40-NG. I'm not sure if we managed to ship more than one model, Asha 501 (single & dual-SIM variant). I haven't been very good at following neither the public nor internal models very well, I just work

Smarterphone is the apps and app framework (except Java apps which runs ontop of Smarterphone in a JVM) and the UI logic. S40-NG contains the drivers and engines for GSM, WLAN, SMS/MMS, file system, etc.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle