Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 126 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

sibbi

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 sibbi:  3 mins ago
 saimo:  17 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  18 mins ago
 vox:  29 mins ago
 kolla:  40 mins ago
 Mr_DBUG:  41 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 20 mins ago
 retrofaza:  1 hr 32 mins ago
 A1200:  1 hr 44 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  1 hr 49 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Emulation
      /  Amithlon and my experiences with it
Register To Post

PosterThread
RobertJDohnert 
Amithlon and my experiences with it
Posted on 16-Aug-2014 5:09:37
#1 ]

I had gotten a copy of Amithlon awhile ago from a friend. I just got around to installing the thing tonight after having it for 9 months and i installed it on an old Compaq Armada with 512 mb of RAM and a 20 gb HD, I had Red Hat 6.2 on it and it was stuffed in a closet. I dont get around to playing with old hardware much and after some google searching and a few e-mails I got it installed on the HD and I have played around with it for awhile. It wasnt a bad product. Its a shame it never took off. It was fast, even booting from that old PC and everything worked, surprisingly even the old PCMCIA nic card worked. Overall not a bad experience and IMO it works better than the SAM. But alas, its powered down and time for me to go back to hacking Amiga OpenLinux 6 errr I mean Black Lab Linux 6. Kudos to Bernie, it was a nice approach.

Profile     Report this post  
tonyw 
Re: Amithlon and my experiences with it
Posted on 16-Aug-2014 10:00:29
#2 ]
Elite Member

@RobertJDohnert

I don't think it's fair to say that "it didn't take off". AFAIR it went like a speeding bullet. The only problem was that Bernie Meyer and H&P fell out, leading to Bernie pulling the plug on the project.

Hyperion Support Forum: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php

number6 
Posted on 16-Aug-2014 13:36:31
#3 ]
Elite Member

@tonyw

Quote:
The only problem was that Bernie Meyer and H&P fell out, leading to Bernie pulling the plug on the project.

Quote:
I don't know what went on between between H&P and AmigaInc.

Quote:
Neither do I. One day, I'd love to know all the true details, but I suspect I never will...

Source

That sounds more like Amiga Inc. and H&P were the ones falling out.

TJH132 
Posted on 16-Aug-2014 14:04:51
#4 ]

@tonyw

Really a shame. I think all the components that would have been in the updated product (Umilator?) were eventually released.

The first Amithlon box I built (sporting a AMD Duron 800 CPU) still runs 12-hour days three days a week recording a radio show and turning it into an mp3 for me while I'm at work. After all these years, it boots up quickly and runs flawlessly! It has a NIC card for internet (which I don't use anymore), a SCSI card for my flatbed scanner, and the audio cards for recording and playing.

The second one I built worked as a music hub for my home. Positioned in the living room, it piped digital audio from one soundcard to the front room speakers and could send play an entirely different stream to the bedroom speakers via a second soundcard. For a time, I "remote controlled" this setup with a VNC server on the Amithlon box and a client on a iBook. Eventually, the motherboard failed and rescued all my music from the hard drives by installing them in a third and final Amithlon box.

This one used SATA instead of IDE hard drives, had more memory, and generally outperformed the first one by about 100%. That was one cool thing about Amithlon, any increases in CPU speed seemed to correlate directly to faster performance -- no OS overhead bogging it down. A song that would have taken two minutes to encode on my original box would take one minute on the final one! A couple years ago, that box quit booting, but recently, I opened it up and started removing memory and re-adding. By replacing the memory from the second box with the third box, I was able to get it up and running again (although with a few BIOS errors along the way). Right now, it stands ready as a backup should my 13-14 year old original Amithlon box fail.

While a MacMini running MorphOS has become my main machine for computing (ASUS Chromebox for surfing!), there are still some programs that I have to run on my Amithlon boxes, none more important to me than DrawStudio. I've used it for years as my go-to program for graphic design projects.

Lastly, I do worry about the future of these machines because over the years I've fiddled with the Linux-side drivers, used beta software for USB enhancements and all sorts of other tweaks. I know I'd never remember what to do if I had to re-install from scratch.

TJH

Hypex 
Posted on 16-Aug-2014 16:42:12
#5 ]
Elite Member

@TJH132

Quote:
I have to run on my Amithlon boxes, none more important to me than DrawStudio.

Doesn't this work on MorphOS? It works on OS4 so I would have thought it would work on the competition.

TJH132 
Posted on 17-Aug-2014 2:05:41
#6 ]

@Hypex

Some specific problems with pallette menus, line and color menus and bitmap handling; just about all the important stuff doesn't work right.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 17-Aug-2014 7:56:08
#7 ]
Elite Member

Ive been a big Amithlon fan/user since it was released. Although it performs well on old gear it really shines with something a little more uptodate (relative to supported hardware). On my 3.86ghz c2d amithlon system you can do a lot of the things NG users are doing, and osometimes better (software permitting). It really is the ultimate vehicle for serious os3.x usage in my opinion.
Its just a shame its potential still remains largely untapped. Its very capable already. With more use of x86 native bins/libs, etc. and 3d support it could outdo all other options besides aros (in terms of raw performance. As it stands its merely on par with higher end ppc systems.

Belxjander 
Posted on 18-Aug-2014 0:49:05
#8 ]
Cult Member

@RobertJDohnert

I managed to build a Virtual-Machine AMIthlon install myself...

still have the vmdk (100% self-hosting AmigaOS disk image without AMIthlon bootstrap)
but I did have to set Cirrus GD chipset graphics, only a single CPU and some other options.

I also found out AMIthlon has a hard-limit of 1280MB of memory before the screen turns black and indicates there is no boot at all.

I used VirtualBox and QEMU at different times with it...always took about an hour to work out exact options to see the boing ball and tweak it.

this let me run a classic OS install quite happilly (I even had it doing some other things too)

I'll quite likely try and get that setup working again on a recent machine ...

Next time I do I will youtube the whole setup so everyone here can see it being done
rather than my saying about it and getting a whole lot of flack for a claim which is not so easy to duplicate.

whomever has AMIthlon and working QEMU-KVM installed can contact me for setting
it up ... possibly one of the more "compatible" options of making AMIthlon work generally.

Even had it actively owning access so some hardware off the host too...but that was for my own experimentation which didn't really get anywhere.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 18-Aug-2014 3:35:42
#9 ]
Elite Member

@Belxjander

Nah, the 1280 meg limit you've encountered is the limit for virtualizer/hardware combo you was using.
Personally Id never use it under virtualization as it suffers more than other systems. Not to say its a bad experience, but it cripples its strengths.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle