Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
33 crawler(s) on-line.
 60 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 DiscreetFX:  10 mins ago
 bhabbott:  31 mins ago
 amig_os:  50 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 mbrantley:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 michalsc:  1 hr 17 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 22 mins ago
 Tpod:  1 hr 58 mins ago
 number6:  2 hrs 51 mins ago
 Djk83:  3 hrs 19 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Are you new to the amiga or old timer
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
mcbone 
Are you new to the amiga or old timer
Posted on 17-Aug-2014 16:12:51
#1 ]
Cult Member

Are you new to the Amiga or old timer person to the Amiga.??????

Do you like all new amiga comeing out today.????
And the Amiga forever and amikiik and aros .?????????

I do like amiga forever and amikit and aros .?????????

But the old amiga are the best .??????
like amiga a 500 and cdtv amiga ....

P.S i am useing raspberry pi with help off Aros ....

Last edited by mcbone on 17-Aug-2014 at 04:20 PM.

An Apple a day keep bill gates away

Profile     Report this post  
Mazze 
Re: Are you new to the amiga or old timer
Posted on 17-Aug-2014 20:32:45
#2 ]
AROS Core Developer

@mcbone

I'm an old-timer and I like AROS, too.

Last edited by Mazze on 26-Aug-2014 at 06:05 PM.

Deniil715 
Posted on 18-Aug-2014 9:01:37
#3 ]
Elite Member

@mcbone

I'm an old-timer that likes the lastest in Amiga. I have an X1000. I also like A500/A1200 but not emulation or AROS.

stefanjo 
Posted on 18-Aug-2014 9:43:11
#4 ]

@mcbone

For me the Amiga is a retro plattform. Actually bought my first Amiga last friday after looking at ads for a couple of months. My brother had an A600 in the mid 90s that I used alot so the platform has always been special to me. Been playing some with UAE over the years which is nice but for nostalgia nothing beats the real machines.

PR 
Posted on 18-Aug-2014 10:07:10
#5 ]

From the times when A500 and DigiView Gold were introduced at childhood.
Very long journey;)

KimmoK 
Posted on 18-Aug-2014 10:31:57
#6 ]
Elite Member

@mcbone

>Are you new to the Amiga or old timer person to the Amiga.??????

Since 1987.
(I was Amiga "guru" untill 1992 but other tasks have messed up my life since. )

>Do you like all new amiga comeing out today.????

I have SAM440ep-mini for AOS4. It's ok.

>And the Amiga forever and amikiik and aros .?????????

So far not really.

>But the old amiga are the best .??????

I have plenty of old Amiga HW. I plan to use them for retro & 68k tests.

>P.S i am useing raspberry pi with help off Aros ....

I'm lookin forward to try AROS again one day.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

DWolfman 
Posted on 18-Aug-2014 10:47:04
#7 ]

Old timer here.

Started with an A500 back in the early 1990s (I think in 1991 or 1992, not sure). Used that for years, until I managed to get hold of a used A3000D. In the end, I had upgraded both machines about as much as I could (A500 had a Microbotics accel card, 68030/68882 clocked at 50 MHz, A3000D ended up with a Cyberstorm PPC card). I had put the A500 in storage after I got the A3000D, then used the A3000D until it died sometime before June 2003 (tried to find the date, but can't find any forum posts from back then). I would have switched back to the A500, but it wouldn't boot any more at that time.

Anyway, ran WinUAE on a PC for a while to get my Amiga fix, until late 2003 and I bought my first AmigaOne XE G4. Ran that for a long time until the PSU connector on the motherboard fried, then I went back to WinUAE for a while until I could get another A1 XE G4. Just recently got that one working again after it had been off for a while since I could not figure out it's stability issues.

Last edited by DWolfman on 18-Aug-2014 at 10:48 AM.

Fairdinkem 
Posted on 18-Aug-2014 11:23:38
#8 ]
Cult Member

@mcbone

I fell in love with the Amiga A1000 when it came out in the mid 80's saved up and purchased the Amiga 500 when they came out and then traded my A500 in for and Amiga 1200 when they were first released. When Commodore screwed everything up I had to buy a IBM clone. I then went to a local Amiga User Group a few years back and saw AmigaOS 4.1 so I purchased a Sam 440 ep flex, quickly became annoyed by the fact that web browsing on AmigaOS sucked so much and heard MorphOS had a better browsing experience I sold my Sam 440 ep flex for a Pegasos 2 so I could have the best of both worlds in one machine plus experience web browsing with OWB on MorphOS.

I like the fact that people are still developing Amiga related things today but unfortunately any of the offerings in the Amiga eco system are still so far behind in both hardware and software to offer any real world performance or productivity.

The great news is that if you want to relive your childhood or early adult years you can still purchase old hardware like the Amiga 1000 through to Amiga 4000 and boot up some old software or games, or emulate an Amiga, or buy new hardware and run the latest iteration of AmigaOS or MorphOS.

Last edited by Fairdinkem on 18-Aug-2014 at 11:25 AM.

Trixie 
Posted on 18-Aug-2014 12:02:05
#9 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@mcbone

Quote:

Old timer - since 1990.

Quote:

It's all right. Could be cheaper, though.

Quote:

I've never used emulators very much, and never tried AROS.

Quote:
But the old amiga are the best .??????

No, it was crap, frankly. My Sam is the best AmigaOS-compatible computer I've ever had.

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

tlosm 
Posted on 18-Aug-2014 12:25:57
#10 ]
Elite Member

Since 1983 C= 64 user
Since 1989 Amiga user
Since 2012 Amiga Ng user 8)

MacBook Pro Retina I7 2.3ghz;
#nomorea-eoninmyhome

Zylesea 
Posted on 18-Aug-2014 12:54:24
#11 ]
Elite Member

@mcbone

Old timer stsrted with an A500 in the late 80ies. In Y2k I added WinUAE to my A1200PPC which was pretty handy. I value Emulation for speed and convenience since but prefer native. Hence I switched to Pegasos once it was out.

From the newly available "Amigas" I rather like the Sam460 - low wattage, not completely insane priced, small dimensions and coming MorphOS support.

My "best Amiga" - dunno exactly I really liked my towered A1200PPC with the Delfina sound card and other goodies. It was a very well working system. But I guess the best one is my MorphOS Powerbook G4 1667. It's fast, it's portable, it's silent, looks rather neat and - tada - it's actually kind of a keyboard computer like A500 was.

-Sam- 
Posted on 18-Aug-2014 13:28:38
#12 ]
Elite Member

@mcbone

Easter '88 - An A500 - just as 1.3 was coming out - it even came with a 1.2 Workbench disk (but 1.3 in Kickstart)

From Gordon Harwoods.

---
Sam

eha 
Posted on 18-Aug-2014 14:10:15
#13 ]

@all

I am not sure if I have the longest history of computers use here, but I started with Univac programming course at high-school during 1977-78. I still have the notes from that time somewhere, punchcards, flowcharts and alike. Also I was computer enthusiastic ever since, using the first Apple Lisa and PC with Microsoft DOS 1.3 (if not newer, cannot remember any more). I got my personal work computer with 2 floppy disks before C=64 came out. I bought that second hand and used another 3000 mk (600 €) for a floppy disk-drive. Used it for writing some programs from magazines and even made some of my own routines (nothing to mentions actually). Then I saw A1000 at an local exhibition, and asked from the manager some possibility personal touch. It was equipped with PC side-card and extra 256 M of memory, and only the price kept me from buying it.
I was still so keen on using it, that the importer contacted me when the A500 came out, and I was getting it with OS1.2. I did try to upgrade it with more memory and HD, but the HD needed OS1.3 and extended memory was so expensive that I sold the system (got almost the same I had payed) and bought A2000 model C. I was arranging that as a group order from the same contact I had made previously. We got over 10 new C models, that were finally upgradeable. I don't know about the others, but I bought HD with 2 M FAST almost immediately. Also I used the contact to get GVP3001, A2320 and other cards later I had Retina-II, Ethernet, Emplant and 286 card in it as well. I think I used more than 20 k€ for all the upgrades and programs (no games). And much later sold it when I could get AmigaOne. That was also upgraded, and during that time I also had CD^32 w. FMV + SX-1, A500 with HD and 2 M FAST and many other "toys". All of them are now gone, as I got married, and my wife is really expensive to keep.

All of that is now OLD.

jPV 
Posted on 18-Aug-2014 14:15:46
#14 ]
Cult Member

Quote:

mcbone wrote:

Old-timer. Got Amiga 500 somewhere in 89/90, A1200 in 1994 and used it as my main machine until 2004 when I got Pegasos1 with MorphOS. Peg1 was in use until MorphOS 2.4 gave Mac mini supoort in 2009 and Mac mini is still my daily computer.

Still have all those old computers ready for use too. And got few more during the years. I play with classic Amigas regularly.

So, I've never used anything else than Amiga compatibles as main computer at home.

Quote:

Well, times for custom hardware has been long gone. You can't produce systems in the needed pace, so they tend to become overpriced and underpowered, and still basically built from mainstream components without real innovation. So I don't care that much about new "Amiga" hw.

But new Amiga compatible operating systems are cool, it doesn't matter on which hw they run. They save the (Amiga) world! :)

Quote:

I'm not that interested about them. I've never liked the emulation. Not emulating something on Amiga and not emulating Amiga on something other. AROS might be interesting if it would be binary compatible with 68k software, but when it isn't, MorphOS and OS4 are more interesting.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 18-Aug-2014 14:20:26
#15 ]
Elite Member

Most will be old timers who may or may not have an interest in NG systems as well.
Given the fact that it costs thousands of dollars to buy a system that is outperformed by the sorts of computers people throw away its definately not for everyone.
MorphOS and AROS are a lot more attractive as far as NG systems go, and I do enjoy them (I also like OS4, but its hard to be content with such weak hardware when 10 years ago I was using more powerful hardware, which even then was much cheaper than OS4 hardware is now).

So, in short, NG oses are still appealing, but besides AROS the hardware isnt. MorphOS gets away with it though as its hardware can be found quite cheaply, and performs pretty well for the age of its hardware (what's the point of something like a radeon 7970 when its outperformed by a $20/ten year old card on other OSes?).

klx300r 
Posted on 18-Aug-2014 15:01:09
#16 ]
Elite Member

@mcbone

started with my Amiga 1000 and happy today to have my AmigaOne X1000 sitting next to it Recently completed my man cave and have my A1200 desktop and original C64 up & running. Now working on my A1200T with first 060 my man cave linky

I enjoy using AspireOS on my old netbook & also Amikit.

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

fishy_fis 
Posted on 18-Aug-2014 16:20:27
#17 ]
Elite Member

@klx300r

Did you end up getting your '040 upgraded, or did you get a new card? I seem to recall you managed to get ahold of a later/improved apollo card (under a different name that.currently eludes me).

klx300r 
Posted on 18-Aug-2014 17:00:06
#18 ]
Elite Member

@fishy_fis

actually my apologies for not updating that thread or my blog for a while now as I hate it when life gets in the way of my hobbies

The card which I originally got for my 060 upgrade was a Viper 040@40 that was running amazing with a 64MB ram stick. Initially I thought it was a non badged Apollo but soon realized it was in fact a Viper card since it came from the factory with Mach131 (non socketed) and was able to use 64MB of ram with one stick. It also didn't require the 060 rom chip that the Apollo does. Anyhow all that was needed to upgrade the Viper to 060 was a voltage regulator and to delsolder the 040 and install the 060 socket and CPU.
Long story short after that was done I got the black screen of death so right now it's with mnjurney at AmiBay on the other side of the pond to get the TLC it needs...so far Mike has it booting again so things are looking good

In the mean time I was lucky enough to buy my first 1200T and to my surprise it came with an Apollo 040@25 which I upgraded to 060@50 (this time realized my 'fine' soldering skills weren't up to the task so sent it off to Mike right away lol) and is working fine in my 1200T BUT I'm currently battling my Mediator to play nice with my Radeon & Spider II...never a dull moment in my man cave

Last edited by klx300r on 18-Aug-2014 at 05:04 PM.

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

fishy_fis 
Posted on 18-Aug-2014 17:23:29
#19 ]
Elite Member

@klx300r

Cool, thanks for the update. I was wondering how you went with the Viper card. Lots of stories of people upgrading blizzard and apollo cards, but besides yourself Id not heard of anyone else attempting to do it with a Viper, ergo my interest/curiousity.
I wonder if its possible to go beyond 64meg if the 2nd simm mod is done to the Viper (assuming that mod can be done on those cards).

klx300r 
Posted on 18-Aug-2014 17:29:24
#20 ]
Elite Member

@fishy_fis

thanks for asking It was interesting finding out about the card as the seller actually sold it to me as an Apollo. Anyhow I'm not sure about the 2nd sim mod but will ask and once my Viper is back in my hands as an 060 I'll update my original thread

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle