Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 101 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Rob:  45 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 1 min ago
 agami:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr 22 mins ago
 OlafS25:  2 hrs 12 mins ago
 Bruce72:  2 hrs 13 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  3 hrs 1 min ago
 t0lkien:  3 hrs 6 mins ago
 amigakit:  3 hrs 26 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  3 hrs 40 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Are you new to the amiga or old timer
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
daveyw 
Re: Are you new to the amiga or old timer
Posted on 27-Aug-2014 5:31:20
#41 ]

@mcbone

I've been with Amiga a long time, but many long-timers would probably sneer at my Amiga-owning history and call me a newbie.

I was first introduced to the A500 in 1988 when I was at school. One of my teachers had one and we oo-ed and ahh-ed over F/A-18 Interceptor.

In 1991, my dad bought me an A500.
In 1996, when Commodore NZ went under the hammer, I got an A1200.
The A1200 underwent much modification, and was my main computer for work and play until 2008, when I bought a second-hand A1-XE, which is now my main computer. (The A1200 is still running and gets the occasional game play or use for scanning).

I've always been an Amiga users first and foremost. My Amigas are not hobby machines, I actually use them for the things I do. I have a Windows ME laptop that I bought in 2001, but don't use for much (because it's virtually useless, can't even get on the Net), so I don't have a PC or Mac that I use for "real" computing. My A1 is my "real" computer.

In the past couple of months, my BlackBerry Z10 has become my main email device though, and I often browse the net with my iPad lying on the couch.

Recently I switched from PATA to SATA and have lost the ability to easily copy commercial DVDs on my A1, which is quite annoying.

A1200T 40Mhz 68040, OS 3.9

Profile     Report this post  
Dandy 
Posted on 2-Sep-2014 7:59:38
#42 ]
Elite Member

@mcbone

Quote:

mcbone wrote:

Are you new to the Amiga or old timer person to the Amiga.??????

Old timer - since 1988/89.
Started with an A500 that I heavyly expanded over the years. Later I got a second A500 with A590. Both unused and stored in the closet today. Before that I had an CBM 620 since 1986...

Bought A4000 mobo, CSPPC and Mikronic Big Tower in 1997. Meanwhile I added a Mediator PCI busboard with Voodoo4 graphics card, Terratec 512i digital soundcard and 10/100mBit NIC, as well as a Deneb USB 2.0 highspeed Zorro III card.

In 1999 I got an A1200 that I put in an Elbox Midi Tower (the good metal one). Unused and stored in the closet today.

Quote:

mcbone wrote:

Do you like all new amiga comeing out today.????

I like the fact that there is still a bit development for the Amiga platform.

I would have bought the AmigaOne X1000 hadn't the need arosen to spend
the money on more important things.

So I mainly use my OS 3.9 installation - the OS 4.0 classic installation has to remain experimental, as long as my HW isn't fully supported (Just USB 1.1 with OS 4.0 istead of the USB 2.0 highspeed I have with OS 3.9/WarpOS; just 10 mBit network access possible with OS 4.0 instead of the 100 mBit I have with OS 3.9/WarpOS, lacking software)...

Quote:

mcbone wrote:

And the Amiga forever and amikiik and aros .?????????

I have AF since I got my first PC with Win98 15 years ago...

Initially I even got permission from my management to use it here @ Ford in conjunction with Henk Jonas's 'Metaview' to convert .cgm files from the CAD station to .jpg format that we could display & print on our PCs...
Meanwhile we have PC programs for tasks like this...

Quote:

mcbone wrote:

I do like ... amikit and aros .?????????

Haven't had the chance to test them yet.

At some point I downloaded MorphOS for classic PPC equipped Amigas, but as my HW config wasn't properly supported I never got to the point where I could boot it.

Quote:

mcbone wrote:

But the old amiga are the best .??????
like amiga a 500 and cdtv amiga ....

I rarely use the Amiga emulation on a PC - I prefer to work on my A4k PPC if I want to go Amiga.

Last edited by Dandy on 02-Sep-2014 at 08:23 AM.
Last edited by Dandy on 02-Sep-2014 at 08:03 AM.

Dandy

Templario 
Posted on 2-Sep-2014 12:34:39
#43 ]
Elite Member

@mcbone

I'm from old timer in the year 1991 when I was Amstrad CPC user and I changed to Amiga 500.

sicky 
Posted on 2-Sep-2014 12:53:08
#44 ]
Elite Member

@mcbone

An old timer who went away and then come back, for good this time lol

paolone 
Posted on 2-Sep-2014 13:23:45
#45 ]

I bought my A500 on May, 1990, when I was asked to use a "modern" (Amiga or PC) word processor for the magazines I started working on.

I soon replaced it with an A1200 with hard drive (40 MB! then 240).

In early 2000s I fell in love with AROS and I'm still here. BTW, in the classic age I enjoyed the Amiga as a 'tool', but with AROS I could extend my skills with scripting and OS. So for some aspects I am a old-timer, but for others I am a newcomer.

mcbone 
Posted on 2-Sep-2014 16:13:33
#46 ]
Cult Member

@Templario

hello my brother had a Amstrad CPC but i did not like it the basic not that good

An Apple a day keep bill gates away

OldFart 
Posted on 3-Sep-2014 14:15:06
#47 ]
Elite Member
From: Stad; en d'r is moar ain stad en da's Stad. Makkelk zat!

@mcbone

Quote:
Are you new to the Amiga or old timer person to the Amiga.?

Somewhere in between: started in 1994, I think it was, with purchasing an A1200 c/w monitor.
This one was put in a place next to a Commodore PCII with a monochrome monitor.

Quote:
Do you like all new amiga comeing out today.?

I sincerly welcome ANYTHING Amiga coming out anyday as it helps to keep the name of the legend going.
Quote:
And the Amiga forever and amikiik and aros .?

Must admit I have little truck with it, although I must state that the results are often impressive.

Quote:
I do like amiga forever and amikit and aros .?

No comment due to lack of experience.

Quote:
But the old amiga are the best .?
like amiga a 500 and cdtv amiga ....

At the time they were introduced it was pretty far advanced. Built quality was good, quality of Commodore's home baked circuits left, mildly speaking, quite a bit to be desired, though.

Quote:
P.S i am useing raspberry pi with help off Aros ....

Got a RIotBoard sitting here somewhere...

@eha
Quote:
... I started with Univac programming course at high-school during 1977-78...

In 1973 I started a three-year course on a vocational highschool here in Groningen (Netherlands), which comprised a course in BASIC using TeleType-machines, producing guirlandes of yellow papertape with lots of holes in it. The phoneline ran all the way to the other side of the country, a hefty 150 miles down the road, to end up somewhere near a "Honewell-Bull/General Electric" mainframe. I people were looking for me the best place to be looking for me was in that little room with the teletypes...
Later on we were allowed to use the local university's (RijksUniversiteit Groningen) ControlData Corp.'s Cyber70 super(cough, cough)computer, which was augmented with a truckload of various Digital Equipment gear acting as a frontend for the C70. COBOL was the norm for us (I did accountancy) and when we, some 10 or 12 students, got introduced to the computer, we surely must have resembled monkeys trying to figure out the intricacies of a rusty old watch.
When I left school in 1978, the three-year course took me five years due to a deep plunge into the realm of booze and women, I got employed in automation as a programmer, a then booming business. An Olivetty A7 (PL/1), several successive iterations of IBM's office computer like S/32, S/34, S/36, AS/400 (RPG-II - RPG/400, COBOL) crossed my path, as well as an (very advanced!) ICL2903 (COBOL), some Unix machines around NS32x32 processors or an MC68020 (C, yeah man!), an occasional Wang 2200/MVP (WANG Basic-II), some IBM mainframes (COBOL and RPG) and whatnaught.
Got married in June 1990, became father in October and fired in November all of that same year. Started my own business in selling spare parts for Brittish motorcycles, mainly Triumph and some Norton. Golden years as classic motorcycling was booming in the 80's and 90's. Did a little repairshop, which got out of hand. Sold everything off except my tools like spanners and taps & dies.
Anyone fancy a very nice and extremely complete set of tools in AF-sizes running from 3/16" all the way to 1 1/4"? Topnotch quality from mainly StahlWille and some Bondhus. Just call me...
Got my A1200 in the meantime and expanded it beyond recognition (for sale!), Again: just call me...
In 2004 I got hold of one of the last ever MicroA1's, which lasted until somewhere in september 2012, so a goodly 2 years ago. No Amiga since, but awaiting the X5000.
In the meantime I got divorced, so no longer a nagging wife around. Got into horses, together with my daughter. Got into music together with my son. Enjoy programming a lot, especially in 'C' on Amiga and actually can't wait to get going again; to much time has passed already since last I made a contribution. But rest assured that that will change again in the very near future!

@fishy_fis
Quote:
So, in short, NG oses are still appealing, but besides AROS the hardware isnt. MorphOS gets away with it though as its hardware can be found quite cheaply, and performs pretty well for the age of its hardware (what's the point of something like a radeon 7970 when its outperformed by a $20/ten year old card on other OSes?).

What's the point of owning a Shelby Cobra when a Volkswagen Up! will get you there as well and much cheaper to boot. Allright, I own neither, just an old Volvo 940 Stationcar running LPG as fuel to keep things affordable. Point is: do what you like and as you please. Dead fish (what's in a name) and debris go with the flow.

@klx300r
Quote:
..yup to all those guys out there that think Amigas are expensive just go marry one

Been there, done that.
Quote:
c'mon Kicko you know I'm an optimist and therefore we're 'half ALIVE'

Now THAT's the true spirit!

Quote:
Unfortunately Agami here you will only find like minded sick or infected people so no cure to be found here sadly

To paraphrase Edgar Allen Poe: I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it![/quote]

Regards
OldFart

P.s.: Come to think of it: many, many moons ago on some other Amiga-related forum of which I can't remember the name, and yes you may think up your own reason for that, in a thread along the same vein I stated that I was born in 1953, after which an apperently much more recent specimen exlaimed that I was then an 'old fart'! So now you know.

Niolator 
Posted on 3-Sep-2014 16:02:43
#48 ]

1. I am an old timer, I bought my first Amiga 500 1989. It came with a 1084S-monitor which I still use today.

2. I like the new Amigas. I have a SAM 460 but I am saving money so I can buy an AmigaOne X5000.

3. I have tested Aros but it didn't really impress me.

4. The old Amigas where the bes and in some ways still are, but lets face it: They are very outdated.

mcbone 
Posted on 3-Sep-2014 16:06:41
#49 ]
Cult Member

@Niolator

yes but you can buy a pc costing £4000.00 on moday and by friday night it out of date

An Apple a day keep bill gates away

Niolator 
Posted on 3-Sep-2014 17:52:32
#50 ]

@mcbone: That depends on what you mean by "out of date". As long as it can play the latest games with fairly good quality it is not out of date by my standards.

Wayne 
Posted on 8-Sep-2014 15:38:16
#51 ]

I know I've been away from the Amiga Community far too long, but I'm a bit gobsmacked as I just learned today that Amiga.org was sold (again)...

Nothing has apparently been changed AT ALL. Dropped by there to remind all the Old-timers about Whyzzat.com, but was thinking about doing a new theme for AO, if for nothing else, but out of pity for the fact that the old theme just looks so old and decrepit...

I'm surprised that Bill sold it considering he was making money from the google ads.

So, what -- if anything -- does, or has this meant for the community?

Wayne

*//

Drummerboy 
Posted on 9-Sep-2014 5:46:12
#52 ]

I am from the old times.

My first computers contact was with the Texas Instrument TI99. Later C=64 and Atari 8 bits (the real Amiga predecessor)

1985, appears the Amiga 1000, then i came from thats Amiga times to the date.

I meet Internet on Amiga, and Amiga was my main computer until 2010.

C= VIC 20 / 64 / SX64/ 128

Atari 600XL (SIC Cartdridge)
Atari 800XL (SIO2SD Unit)

Jay Miner`s Atari 2600 - Wood front -

"Amiga, this Computer have a Own Live"

Thorham 
Posted on 9-Sep-2014 8:45:14
#53 ]

Quote:
Niolator wrote:

The old Amigas where the bes and in some ways still are, but lets face it: They are very outdated.

At least the old Amigas ARE actually Amigas. Furthermore, EVERYTHING Amiga related is outdated.

Last edited by Thorham on 09-Sep-2014 at 08:45 AM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle