Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
14 crawler(s) on-line.
 137 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Hammer

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hammer:  3 mins ago
 kolla:  5 mins ago
 amigakit:  39 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  43 mins ago
 pixie:  50 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 corb0:  1 hr 42 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 43 mins ago
 RobertB:  3 hrs 17 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  Intel Edison board is 50$
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
WolfToTheMoon 
Intel Edison board is 50$
Posted on 10-Sep-2014 18:58:09
#1 ]

It has a dual core Silvermont Atom @ 500 MHz + a 100 MHz Quark as an embedded microcontroller. Comes with 1 GB of LPDDR3 RAM, WiFi, Blurtooth 4.0 and 4 GB of eMMC storage.

It can also be used with Arduino and Intel is preparing several other development boards.

It is about the size of a postage stamp

On the other end of the spectrum, Intel. also introduced an 18 core Haswell-EP with 5.69 billions of transistors. All yours for cca 4000 $

Profile     Report this post  
Chuckt 
Re: Intel Edison board is 50$
Posted on 10-Sep-2014 21:31:02
#2 ]

@WolfToTheMoon

Thanks for sharing this. I know I am a little negative but please forgive me.

Who is into wearable computers? I don't really want computers in my clothing because I really want a simpler life. Who wants this thing spying on you? Really.

This board is only 500MHZ? ARM chips are faster.

What kind of battery life is this chip unit going to have? I doubt it will last very long.

Read the comments on Hackaday. No one wanted the atom chip and Intel gave away 2 billion dollars worth of their chips.

Why do we need an architecture we all don't believe in?

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 10-Sep-2014 23:00:24
#3 ]

@Chuckt

Quote:
Who is into wearable computers? I don't really want
computers in my clothing because I really want a simpler
life. Who wants this thing spying on you? Really.

This(by this I'm not talking about this particular board, rather about Quark and Silvermont) is more geared towards IoT in general, wearable electronics is just one of the subsets of that market.

Quote:
This board is only 500MHZ? ARM chips are faster.

Compared to rPi, which is single core and 700 MHz ARM11 for 35$, this is much faster.

Quote:
What kind of battery life is this chip unit going to have? I
doubt it will last very long.

a) this is not a mobile product, there is no battery includes AFAIK
b) Silvermont core is more power efficient than pretty much all comparable ARM chips. They are less than 1 W TDP per core at much higher clocks(up to 2.5 GHz), so this chip should be extremely frugal with energy.

Quote:
Read the comments on Hackaday. No one wanted the atom
chip and Intel gave away 2 billion dollars worth of their
chips.
Why do we need an architecture we all don't believe in?

Who is we? Intel is selling more chips than ever, even the desktop market is recovering. This year they will sell an estimated 35-40 million tablets with Intel chips. That's not bad for an architecture that nobody wants...

Chuckt 
Posted on 11-Sep-2014 1:51:38
#4 ]

@WolfToTheMoon

What would you use it for? I heard there are no pins for vga.

agami 
Posted on 11-Sep-2014 2:14:56
#5 ]

@Chuckt

Quote:
I really want a simpler life

Boy are you in the wrong forum. Used some sort of computing device to post on here?
Perhaps you should go back to pen and paper and correspond through the postal system. But then you'd have to deal with the post office, too complicated. Maintaining carrier pidgins, that's a complex art form too. I tell you what, why don't you find a cave and with char from your hearth draw on the cave walls how big bad technology is all about spying on you. Good luck with that infection you'll eventually have.

The thing about technology is that it is like Pandora's Box, there is no half way about it. And you know what? Every bit has made life easier and simpler. You can't always look at it directly, there are indirect ways in which all this "unwanted" tech makes yours and most peoples' lives simpler and easier.

Chuckt 
Posted on 11-Sep-2014 3:25:20
#6 ]

@agami

You should see me on vacation. I bring my MP3 player, digital cameras, rechargeable batteries, regular batteries, flashlights, radios, GPS, Kindle, laptop, external USB modems, USB chargers, SD cards, thumb drives, Wii, Wii remotes, etc and it drives my wife crazy.

How is having one more piece of hardware helping? My hobby has changed to electronics and microcontrollers and when you go this route, there is a learning curve. Some of the smallest chips I deal with have a 300 page datasheet. When you get to be my age, by the time you get around to reading those datasheets, you are ready for bed. Most people I know who are involved in electronics have a junk box of electronics and a lot of unfinished products. I have a whole tupperware container with electronic parts and it sits.

Unless you have a bootloader for the Edison, I think it will take you about two years to learn the architecture unless you are already an accomplished programmer. One engineer I know says it takes him a whole day to set up an IDE.

If you want samples from a semiconductor company, usually they ask you what you want to use the product for and if they like your suggestion, they give you a sample for free. I haven't seen more than a ten page datasheet for this device. I know the datasheet for the Beaglebone is about 3,000 pages. I can tell you that something a little larger than an SD card isn't going to be breaking out with a lot of I/O.

If you want to resell the edison in a product, you will need a license to use the SD card and it isn't cheap. I think it is around $5K.

Unless you know what you want to use this board for, it will probably sit in the box because most people don't get involved in electronics because it is expensive and it takes a long time.

By the way, I post using Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. I also have a Kindle and a phone to post with if I so choose.

If you want to use this product, let me see your creation. Amuse me.

Quote:

agami wrote:
@Chuckt

Quote:
I really want a simpler life

Boy are you in the wrong forum. Used some sort of computing device to post on here?
Perhaps you should go back to pen and paper and correspond through the postal system. But then you'd have to deal with the post office, too complicated. Maintaining carrier pidgins, that's a complex art form too. I tell you what, why don't you find a cave and with char from your hearth draw on the cave walls how big bad technology is all about spying on you. Good luck with that infection you'll eventually have.

The thing about technology is that it is like Pandora's Box, there is no half way about it. And you know what? Every bit has made life easier and simpler. You can't always look at it directly, there are indirect ways in which all this "unwanted" tech makes yours and most peoples' lives simpler and easier.

Last edited by Chuckt on 11-Sep-2014 at 03:26 AM.

RodTerl 
Posted on 11-Sep-2014 4:18:58
#7 ]
Cult Member

Given you can have USB keyboard, Mouse, Flash drives, Hard Drives, Ethernet, SCSI, Serial, Parralel, Audio, Video, and a single USB Host can handle 128 devices treed off it via powered hubs, why would a minimum embedded processor system require anything more than 4 pins, to get USB bidirectional, Power, and Ground?

Also, why on earth do you need a huge IDE, we used to code On the machines when they had 48k Ram, surely QB64 can run on this thing, being x86 based?

QB64, Microsoft QuickBasic compatible, translates to C, or was it C++, then uses GCC. If you compile Print "Hello World" with it on the last known version, teh resulting code is a meg in size. Becaused its a meg of setup wrapper, and a few bytes for the code. It suports Open CL GPU calls. Ida have to check to see if it supports PEEK and POKE direct hardare bashing still.

If you are serious, you would use something like Eclipse on a $10k machine runing multiple virtual simulations.

If you are not serious, you shouldnt need more than 4 pins and the junk laying around your current PC.

Serious in this case meaning employed by a medium to large company, not grinding as a one man band.

If Watson can replace GPs and lawyers, why the refusal to use the computer to do the computers job on handling the coding of the computer according to the rules laid down by the design of the computer?

At the rate IBM is going, theyll have brain on a chip for less than a years wage in less than 20 years, and they aint even using exotic tech.

Why is memory still, single cell random access, only 1990s speeds of 100-200 Mhz?

Chuckt 
Posted on 11-Sep-2014 4:40:58
#8 ]

@RodTerl

Quote:
Edison launched with an Arduino breakout board, but the Arduino compatibility is literally only a facade. Intel reengineered the Arduino IDE so it writes files instead of toggling pins. This means any programming language that can write a file is able to blink a LED with an Edison. It’s only a matter of preference, but if your idea of embedded development is a single chip and a C compiler, you’re better off using an ATMega and a UART.

http://hackaday.com/2014/09/10/hands-on-with-the-intel-edison/

Chuckt 
Posted on 11-Sep-2014 4:44:08
#9 ]

@RodTerl

Quote:

QB64, Microsoft QuickBasic compatible, translates to C, or was it C++, then uses GCC. If you compile Print "Hello World" with it on the last known version, teh resulting code is a meg in size. Becaused its a meg of setup wrapper, and a few bytes for the code. It suports Open CL GPU calls. Ida have to check to see if it supports PEEK and POKE direct hardare bashing still.

How are you going to get Windows to run on this machine? There is no BIOS.

Thorham 
Posted on 11-Sep-2014 6:08:58
#10 ]

Quote:
Chuckt wrote:

You should see me on vacation. I bring my MP3 player, digital cameras, rechargeable batteries, regular batteries, flashlights, radios, GPS, Kindle, laptop, external USB modems, USB chargers, SD cards, thumb drives, Wii, Wii remotes, etc and it drives my wife crazy.

That's not normal.

Barana 
Posted on 11-Sep-2014 8:57:46
#11 ]
Cult Member

@WolfToTheMoon

bout the only use i can see for this is porting aros to it. otherwise its more expensive than rpi

I serve King Jesus.
What/who do you serve?

cdimauro 
Posted on 11-Sep-2014 9:11:42
#12 ]
Elite Member

Quote:
Chuckt wrote:
@RodTerl

Quote:
Edison launched with an Arduino breakout board, but the Arduino compatibility is literally only a facade. Intel reengineered the Arduino IDE so it writes files instead of toggling pins. This means any programming language that can write a file is able to blink a LED with an Edison. It’s only a matter of preference, but if your idea of embedded development is a single chip and a C compiler, you’re better off using an ATMega and a UART.

http://hackaday.com/2014/09/10/hands-on-with-the-intel-edison/

From the original review ( http://blog.dimitridiakopoulos.com/2014/09/10/hands-on-intel-edison/ ):

"Programming & Arduino Compatibility

Similar to the Galileo, Edison contains an Arduino implementation as a userland Linux program. The Intel-reengineered Arduino IDE is a collection of cross-compiler tools to upload an application to the module. This design decision to emulate Arduino is a longstanding frustration — and in my personal opinion — the most poorly designed aspect of the product. Problems stemming back to Galileo — including library compatibility, shield support, and GPIO speed weren't 'fixed' in Edison — a fact that is not surprising given the emulated implementation. Want to drive a string of WS2811 LEDs? No such luck.

As embedded Linux developers know, hardware-level programming in Linux is usually a function of writing and reading data from file descriptors known to the kernel. Any programming language capable of reading and writing to a file is capable of controlling GPIO pins along with a host of other protocols like I2C and SPI. The underlying Arduino library shipping with the IDE is a great reference for this method of programming, illustrating the support logic necessary to configure pins prior to use.

Another aspect of the platform (at launch) is programming library availability. The Yocto binary comes pre-installed with recent versions of NodeJS and Python, but there are no convenience libraries to unravel the tangle of descriptors and hardware capabilities. On the bright side, this is likely to evolve quickly given the drive of the open-source community to create accessible and easy-to-consume libraries.

Over the course of validation, my preferred prototyping experience involved performing high-level messaging and compute in Linux. What do I mean by this? The Edison excels at applications involving networking/messaging (BLE/HTTP/Websockets) and peripherals like USB cameras, audio interfaces, and MIDI controllers. In particular, NodeJS shines for this functionality on Edison. However, for hardware I/O, it's much simpler to pair Edison with an ATmega chip via UART rather than mess with the on-board I/O capabilities. Prototyping using a combination of NodeJS on Edison along with at ATmega is a solid experience. I'll buy yet another beer for the first person to port Node-Red to Edison.
"

BTW, Edison isn't mean to replace a regular computer, but to be used for IoT purposes.

Chuckt 
Posted on 11-Sep-2014 13:31:35
#13 ]

@cdimauro

That's great if you want to be a consumer instead of a producer but I believe the comments by the users over on Hackaday. Some of these other forums have turned the blog comments off because they don't want the users saying anything negative that Intel won't like.

Let me know when you program something on the Edison so that way we know if the blog post you posted is true or not but we haven't heard any fanfare months after they released Galileo.

The reality is that there have been a lot of fanfare about different boards and products and it turns out that the users don't do a lot with them.

You want a product with staying power. A lot of these products have a flash in the pan experience. You want a part that is going to stay around 20 years.

Chuckt 
Posted on 11-Sep-2014 13:38:03
#14 ]

@Thorham

That is my point exactly and why I wouldn't want wearable technology. The stadium installed metal detectors and they wouldn't know what this junk is.

I have a Tom Tom Gps. It has a Lithium battery. The battery started going so I researched it on Youtube. I found a replacement battery on Ebay and replaced the battery. Now the new battery is going like the old battery. Then I was driving with my GPS and the GPS started going and showing that I wasn't on the road when I was. I reset the GPS and that helped but it is old. I see the wearable technology in the same vein as my old GPS because it will need a Lithium battery.

Don't put rechargeable Lithium batteries in your smoke detector. Lithium batteries give out and then you have to recharge them.

Quote:

Thorham wrote:
Quote:
Chuckt wrote:

That's not normal.

Hypex 
Posted on 11-Sep-2014 15:47:02
#15 ]
Elite Member

@WolfToTheMoon

What's Blurtooth 4.0? Is it a new standard blurring the liens between blue and tooth?

Hypex 
Posted on 11-Sep-2014 15:59:27
#16 ]
Elite Member

@Chuckt

Quote:
Who is into wearable computers? I don't really want computers in my clothing because I really want a simpler life. Who wants this thing spying on you?

Apple people? Who will be wearing the iWatch soon. Haha.

Actually, I wore a multifunction watch in the 80's. That was a wearable computer and I quite liked it. Not running Android or iOS made no difference to me.

Quote:
You should see me on vacation

Laptop. LCD TV. USB STB. DVD player. DVD's. DVDRWs with recorded TV. TV cables. Books. Notebook Etc.

Last edited by Hypex on 11-Sep-2014 at 04:02 PM.

Chuckt 
Posted on 11-Sep-2014 16:17:29
#17 ]

@Hypex

The Edison is $50. By the time it is a useable product, it will easily be $250-$300. Just price other smart watches.
That will be $500,000 for 10,000 units plus whatever else a company has to buy to manufacture their product.

Quote:

Hypex wrote:
@Chuckt

Quote:
Who is into wearable computers? I don't really want computers in my clothing because I really want a simpler life. Who wants this thing spying on you?

Apple people? Who will be wearing the iWatch soon. Haha.

Actually, I wore a multifunction watch in the 80's. That was a wearable computer and I quite liked it. Not running Android or iOS made no difference to me.

Quote:
You should see me on vacation

Laptop. LCD TV. USB STB. DVD player. DVD's. DVDRWs with recorded TV. TV cables. Books. Notebook Etc.

Hypex 
Posted on 11-Sep-2014 16:34:17
#18 ]
Elite Member

@Chuckt

Either way it's gotta be cheaper than what Apple will do.

Chuckt 
Posted on 11-Sep-2014 17:00:45
#19 ]

@Hypex

Quote:

Hypex wrote:
@Chuckt

Either way it's gotta be cheaper than what Apple will do.

My guess is that it is going to cost 30% more than it costs for the final project (bill of materials, fab house, shipping, labor, etc.).

Nothing is cheap. The customer pays all.

cdimauro 
Posted on 11-Sep-2014 20:54:01
#20 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

Chuckt wrote:
@cdimauro

That's great if you want to be a consumer instead of a producer but I believe the comments by the users over on Hackaday.

Many of them were quite positive.
Quote:
Some of these other forums have turned the blog comments off because they don't want the users saying anything negative that Intel won't like.

I never eared of such thing. Do you have some source for this?
Quote:
Let me know when you program something on the Edison so that way we know if the blog post you posted is true or not

Edison was just released...
Quote:
but we haven't heard any fanfare months after they released Galileo.

The reality is that there have been a lot of fanfare about different boards and products and it turns out that the users don't do a lot with them.

You can try searching "Intel Galileo"...
Quote:
You want a product with staying power. A lot of these products have a flash in the pan experience. You want a part that is going to stay around 20 years.

So what's the problem with Edison (or Galileo?!?)?

Quote:

Chuckt wrote:
@Hypex

The Edison is $50. By the time it is a useable product, it will easily be $250-$300. Just price other smart watches.
That will be $500,000 for 10,000 units plus whatever else a company has to buy to manufacture their product.

$50 is the street price AFAIK, and I don't think that it'll change. Also Galileo hasn't changed its price (and is getting Gen2).

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle