Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 150 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 DiscreetFX:  50 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 23 mins ago
 Hammer:  3 hrs 13 mins ago
 Rob:  3 hrs 51 mins ago
 billt:  3 hrs 59 mins ago
 amigang:  4 hrs 9 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  4 hrs 12 mins ago
 agami:  4 hrs 35 mins ago
 matthey:  4 hrs 42 mins ago
 kolla:  4 hrs 49 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  What programming languages available? i mean for Amiga OS4.1.
Register To Post

PosterThread
Vanhapolle 
What programming languages available? i mean for Amiga OS4.1.
Posted on 27-Sep-2014 18:41:38
#1 ]

What programming languages available? i mean for Amiga OS4.1.i bet C and C++ but any basic type language. I kbow stuff OS4 depot but i mean anything which is fast and allows make pgorams which feel AmigaOS programs not Unix or something else ported for Amiga. I maybe have time also learn C/C++ for AmigaOS.

Last edited by Vanhapolle on 27-Sep-2014 at 06:44 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
davebraco 
Re: What programming languages available? i mean for Amiga OS4.1.
Posted on 27-Sep-2014 18:47:31
#2 ]

@Vanhapolle

I would suggest you to take a look here :

http://os4depot.net/index.php?function=browse&cat=development/language

and maybe there :

http://www.hollywood-mal.com/

www.codebench.co.uk

www.os4coding.net

RodTerl 
Posted on 27-Sep-2014 19:01:40
#3 ]
Cult Member

For Basic, as in get the code running code, you could always try AREXX, as due to its RexxLibs extras, such as Rexxmathlib.library, the interpreted script can actually access hardware library calls, for maths functions, but even better, if you use the FPU specific versions, or if they are coded as such in 4.1 for PPC, then the speed up is even greater.

Theoretically, as in I havent done the tests personally, AREXX running on WinUAE using Address Command system calls, will be faster than Regina Rexx, running natively on a multi Ghz system.

I havent Quite got the generalise FFT routine running on AREXX, but apparently if you want to access maths hardware on Ubuntu. Windows, you have to install ooRexx which uses rewritten Amath, Amiga Rexx math libraries anyway.

For decent intermediate, see if HiSoft Basic works, which is a integrated Basic programming front end, but compiles the code before running. Currently I only know it runs on 3.x etc, but Ive had it on a proper P96 install running on a 1280*1024 screen, in Amiga mode.

Again, for AOS 4 itself, I dont know, but thats what emulation is for, so that you can actually get Something done while taking time searching for something more preferable.

GCC is still terminal line? Can you use Storm C front end, or Cubic IDE as interfaces?

Deniil715 
Posted on 27-Sep-2014 19:55:13
#4 ]
Elite Member

@Vanhapolle

I'm not sure there is any OS4 version of Basic. If you don't want to, or have time to learn C/C++ you could try PortablE which is a C/C++-like language but not as cryptic and difficult to learn and use. PortablE is inspired by Amiga-E and designed for OS4, but can generate code for OS3, OS4, MOS and AROS.

Or there is Hollywood for very graphical applications. Definately worth taking a look at if you, as a beginner, want to create GUI-based programs fast.

ARexx scripts are good if you just like to make something a little bit more advanced than a shell script, but not full-blown applications. Best thing is that it already comes preinstalled with AmigaOS.

Vanhapolle 
Posted on 28-Sep-2014 12:53:31
#5 ]

@Deniil715

PortablE and C (then C++) sounds best.
ps. i found Emperor which solves hardest thing with C/C++ ii mean GUI. Aloorithms are not related platform.

Nibunnoichi 
Posted on 28-Sep-2014 14:22:18
#6 ]
Cult Member

@Vanhapolle

There's also Modula2, while Python is kind of bundled with the OS.

Severin 
Posted on 28-Sep-2014 14:44:49
#7 ]
Elite Member

@Vanhapolle

Quote:

Vanhapolle wrote:

any basic type language.

Nothing native. Amiblitz3 runs well on OS4 just don't use the debugger. I've written lots of programs for OS4 with it.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/amiblitz3/

The Amiblitz guys are working on a new language called A/A++ (details are in the latest amiblitz archive).

There was/is a very simple interpreted basic available on the cubic ide site but I think that was removed years ago, quite good for times when a dos script isn't quite up to the job. I have it and can probably put together an archive if anyone wants to try it.

Most of the classic basic variations you can forget about writing anything serious with or even getting some of them to even run.

Visit the Official OS4 Support Site for more help.

It may be that your sole purpose is to serve as a warning to others.

Vanhapolle 
Posted on 6-Oct-2014 12:40:01
#8 ]

@Severin

Makes even native code? my ideas needs run fastest possible etc.

Daedalus 
Posted on 6-Oct-2014 13:05:58
#9 ]

@Severin

The AmiBlitz debugger works fine under OS4 if you blacklist it in the JIT emulation settings. I'm using it that way for years.

AmiBlitz does allow you to make amiga-feeling programs, has a good IDE (no command line stuff) and has good support of native system calls, but it is 68k and so isn't as fast as native OS4 programs. But for applications that aren't too cpu intensive the speed is more than enough. Check out Atoms-X for an example of a simple game written in AmiBlitz that works great under OS4, or HD-Rec for a big, complicated app that works great as well.

Hypex 
Posted on 6-Oct-2014 15:13:18
#10 ]
Elite Member

@Daedalus

It's broken on the X1000. I don't know why. The trap code did look a little strange.

I tried HD-Rec recently and IIRC it didn't work out of the box but needed support software. I gave it a basic test and it choked when playing back a few samples at the same time complaining my 800Mhz AmigaOne was too slow! No way!

I ditched it after that and went back to Audio Evolution. Given my A1200/030 could play two stereo tracks together in realltime using Audio Evolution, which involved software mixing a pair of 16-bit tracks, then downmixing to Paula 8-bit, I think HD-Rec has real problems if it could barely manage a few more tracks on major faster hardware. But since it's not native perhaps that is to be expected.

broadblues 
Posted on 6-Oct-2014 17:18:03
#11 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Hypex

Quote:

I tried HD-Rec recently and IIRC it didn't work out of the box but needed support software. I gave it a basic test and it choked when playing back a few samples at the same time complaining my 800Mhz AmigaOne was too slow! No way!

A couple of libraries possible but nothing more severe than any other app. As to the two slow thing it runs fine of my SAM-flex (haven't copied any music apps to the X yet) and is certainly not slow. The only tool that maxs out the CPU is the multiband compressor which makes far to many GUI updates, so slows down to a halt when the GUI is open (but works fine when it's shut). Otherwise it can plys multiple samp,es and drive it's own softsynth or an external one such as phonolith or with no issues.

Quote:

I ditched it after that and went back to Audio Evolution.

AE4 is good too, it's primary advanage is automation, and a more flexible recording setup. (no need to mess with system prefs to set input levels). HD-Rec has smoother effects for the most part though.

Quote:

Given my A1200/030 could play two stereo tracks together in realltime using Audio Evolution, which involved software mixing a pair of 16-bit tracks, then downmixing to Paula 8-bit, I think HD-Rec has real problems if it could barely manage a few more tracks on major faster hardware. But since it's not native perhaps that is to be expected.

It's possible you have some conflicting software running, HD-Rec has a CPU meter for example that always shows 100% on my setup as I run CPUInfo docky.

Last edited by broadblues on 06-Oct-2014 at 05:20 PM.

Vanhapolle 
Posted on 6-Oct-2014 21:40:00
#12 ]

Seems i going with C/C++ when i found i can use old docs for some things what are not document recent documentation like OpenScreenTags... only processing strings is harder than with Amiblitz but is not Amiga fault. i bet i also realtive easy wrote routines which opens and saves pictures in selected format. Maybe using datatypes or maybe for example libpng,libtiff etc. I dont know how easy use datatypes open all pics (even 1bit black and white btmap) to 24bit truecolor data. This is realted my ideas.
ps. i hope now gui editor which starts E what name i dont remember works now goodly years ago when i tested is not so well working system.

Daedalus 
Posted on 6-Oct-2014 23:21:02
#13 ]

@Hypex

Quote:

Hypex wrote:
@Daedalus

It's broken on the X1000. I don't know why. The trap code did look a little strange.

Ah yes, I do remember reading about that somewhere actually. The OP never said he was on an X1000 though, so I went with my experience alone. I'm sure the trap code is doing some funky stuff, but it is strange that it works on other OS4 machines but not the X1000. Undocumented instructions perhaps.

As for HD-Rec, I didn't push it all that hard but it had no trouble playing a couple of samples and handling some MIDI at the same time, so I wonder what the issue was there. Maybe there was a plugin running or something that was eating CPU cycles. A native version would help there I'm sure...

RodTerl 
Posted on 6-Oct-2014 23:21:10
#14 ]
Cult Member

@Vanhapolle

If you are using images, then you need to look up IFF to Datatype, and Datatype to IFF, where IFF can then be translated to and from Bitmaps. This is the Amiga side.

To compare with Linux, and so Open Source code, you need to look at the NetPBM source code, which has translations of almost all image formats to Bitmap, and Bitmap to Images. The Bitmap also includes decimal value per pixels, which can be created with script handling or writing to files amongst others.

The most powerful will probably be NetPBM to Fiasco, a Fractal image compression format that auto scales on decode to far larger displays. I beleive there is a relation between Jpeg and Fiasco that uses large amounts of processing power, but simplifies the overall code.

Keep working at it, and eventually you will succeed.

Vanhapolle 
Posted on 7-Oct-2014 3:28:36
#15 ]

@RodTerl

Where is this IFF TO Datatype etc stuff. I try make own image processing program. What i want load/save at least PNG,IFF,TIFF,JPEG.
ps. i dont own X1000 i dont have money for such a thing. Even room limits.

Last edited by Vanhapolle on 07-Oct-2014 at 03:29 AM.

Hypex 
Posted on 8-Oct-2014 14:16:51
#16 ]
Elite Member

@broadblues

Quote:
A couple of libraries possible but nothing more severe than any other app.

Actually it was severe. It wanted ZLib and I spent ages going over Aminet finding the one it wanted. Many things are called ZLib but few are actually zlib.library in the version it wants.

It could have given a link in a read me. Oh there's another bug, there was no readme. But since I was using a V0.10 beta version I downloaded off the main site I suppose that is to be expected. Wait I downloaded another version that was also beta. 09t. Were therre any stable versions?

Quote:
Otherwise it can plys multiple samp,es and drive it's own softsynth or an external one such as phonolith or with no issues.

Perhaps it was the wrong thing to do but I tested it on the RAM disk using an included project. Off RAM should be faster than HD. I loaded up HQ_Paranoimia.proj and after playing it for 12.5 secs it choked and said my CPU was too slow!

There was a warning not to use the HQ projects on OS4/MOS. Now I know why. Just not why my CPU isn't fast enough given it used WarpUP which should be running natively in main code.

Quote:
AE4 is good too, it's primary advanage is automation

Yes I found it very useful. What it doesn't do and I don't know what does, is loop sections of the timeline so you can drop instruments or bring them back in. A pattern editor with different pages of timelines with their own effects would help in this to string different sections along. So I ended up doing the old cut'n'paste. Which was kind of hard as I couldn't get the BPM finder to locate a bass dumm BPM and mark sections as bars, so had to zoom in as close as it could and pick the right moment by hand. Used to play by ear when editing, now I'm using my bad eyesight. Made worse by Topaz 8.

I tried Audacity (AFAIK we have no port) and found its interface was logical but could see no way to automate like AE does. I can't see anything in HD-Rec either but I don't know it that well.

Quote:
t's possible you have some conflicting software running,

Well just now YAM and iBrowse was in the background while I was testing it but that shouldn't affect it.

Given it is compiled as WarpUP there should be a way to compile as native. To bring it slightly back on topic.

Last edited by Hypex on 09-Oct-2014 at 02:02 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 8-Oct-2014 14:31:27
#17 ]
Elite Member

@Vanhapolle

Quote:
Seems i going with C/C++ when i found i can use old docs for some things what are not document recent documentation like OpenScreenTags.

Well OpenScreenTags() is updated slightly for OS4 but not much is added.

Quote:
I dont know how easy use datatypes open all pics

It can be hard at first as it uses a C interface for a C++ design, so to speak. If you understand OOP you will get it, as it has a "New" function to open media and method calls to generate an image framebuffer, in this case.

Took me a while at first as I was unaware of OOP and the language was confusing. For example, I expected there to be an "open datatype" function that would open the media, such as a picture file and return a pointer. But instead there is a "new datatype" function as it works likes a new operator, which looked confusng as I didn't want to create new datatype, I wanted to open an existing one! If you see what I mean.

Hypex 
Posted on 8-Oct-2014 14:39:07
#18 ]
Elite Member

@Daedalus

I recall an ILLEGAL command was changed to a TRAP #0 or similar to be compatible with OS4. It could just be the way TRAPs are handled in the X1000 port of the 68K emulator. Then again, I do recall testing trapcodes and IIRC TRAP #x did work on the X1000. I even posted a bug report about it.

All traps I tested in MorphOS worked fine and MonAm2 works out of the box.

But, I see no need to use actual traps anyway. I modified the E debugger to replace ILLEGAL with JSR #TrapRoutine and it worked fine. A JSR preserves the break address and the CCR can be saved immediately. So, apart from using three words as opposed to one for a trap command, it can work on all hardware without needing disable JIT "hacks".

jaokim 
Posted on 8-Oct-2014 18:15:00
#19 ]

Quote:
What programming languages available? i mean for Amiga OS4.1.

Java!

Perhaps not quite there yet, but it runs. See my signature for more info.

A1200 
Posted on 8-Oct-2014 18:30:39
#20 ]
Elite Member

PortablE

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle