Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
17 crawler(s) on-line.
 60 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Marcian:  11 mins ago
 Karlos:  20 mins ago
 OlafS25:  37 mins ago
 Cammy:  49 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 AmigaPapst:  1 hr 52 mins ago
 SOFISTISOFTWARE:  1 hr 55 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  2 hrs ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 7 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 28 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  blackberry
Register To Post

PosterThread
Barana 
blackberry
Posted on 16-Oct-2014 8:47:04
#1 ]
Cult Member

This week with a new job as a yogurt maker I finally upgraded from android to a blackberry z3. It runs qnx!( you know, the amiga like nanokernal os) In the guise of blackberry os 10 (uhhgh it's called blackberry 10.. that sounds so very demented) I can say with the cpu speed it is far snappier than android ever was and it has this very cool feature in that it has android binary support, so I can run my favorite android apps.its gui is much easier and flows a lot better, and it's onscreen kb is more responsive and precise than my Sony ericsson experia pro running ice cream sandwich.

This may yet prove to be a worthy successor to symbian s60.

Are there any other amigans that use a blackberry device?

Last edited by Barana on 16-Oct-2014 at 08:48 AM.

I serve King Jesus.
What/who do you serve?

Profile     Report this post  
Naz 
Re: blackberry
Posted on 16-Oct-2014 9:30:57
#2 ]

@Barana

I had some blackberries years 3-4 ago offered from my company and with the real keys keyboard they have always been fantastic e-mailing machines. I don't know the new OS 10 but from what I heard and read it is good. In general everything which is not Android is good It's a pity that they have lost nearly all of their market share ..

Jupp3 
Posted on 16-Oct-2014 9:39:37
#3 ]

@Barana

Quote:
Are there any other amigans that use a blackberry device?

Nope, but that sounds very much like Jolla (which I have).

Linux kernel, intuitive UI design, android binary support, good onscreen keyboard... I think Blackberry also uses Qt (like Jolla)

As for S60 successor, I'd say Jolla is closer to that. They've got lots of people who were working for Maemo / Meego, which were supposed to become S60 successors, before everything was scrapped for Windows Phone.

As for Blackberry, if there was no Jolla, I probably would have changed to Blackberry instead (from a dying Nokia N900)

Last edited by Jupp3 on 16-Oct-2014 at 09:40 AM.

Barana 
Posted on 16-Oct-2014 10:36:36
#4 ]
Cult Member

@Jupp3

The reason I like qnx so much is because it's a nanokernal not a monolith kernel as in all unices. Fast IMP like aos, it's an rtos, something unix/ Linux never will be.responsive I just hope it stays like that.

I serve King Jesus.
What/who do you serve?

Vistaus 
Posted on 16-Oct-2014 22:43:58
#5 ]

@Jupp3

Blackberry doesn't use Qt, but they do have a Qt runtime support. Sorry, don't know how else to put it. What I mean is: you can port Qt apps and run them on BB10. But BB10 doesn't support Qt5 yet so you're stuck on Qt 4.8.4 for now. An example of a Qt app running on BB10 (and available in their app store) is Fahrplan, the same Fahrplan app that is available in the Jolla app store.
Android binary support is okay on BB10 but far, far better on the Jolla phone (which I have, just like you). I know this because my mum has a BlackBerry Z30 running BB10 so it's easy to compare. Also, integration on SailfishOS is far better. For example, Android apps give my notifications on the notifications screen while my mum hardly ever gets notifications from Android apps in the BB Hub. Although the upcoming 10.3.1 update does improve the Android support by a whole lot.

BB10 works very nicely though. Had I not bought the Jolla phone, I'd probably be using a BB10 phone right now like my mum. I'm happy with my Jolla phone though and love SailfishOS :D

Last edited by Vistaus on 16-Oct-2014 at 10:45 PM.
Last edited by Vistaus on 16-Oct-2014 at 10:45 PM.

agami 
Posted on 17-Oct-2014 5:01:21
#6 ]

@Barana

Yes. I used the Blackberry Z10 for a while, and I also have a Blackberry PlayBook.
BB10 is a very good mobile OS. I agree with you in terms of smoothness. I have used pretty much every mainstream (major vendor) mobile OS and I'd have to say that my experience with Android (Jellybean) was the worst. What does this mean? It means that in terms of UX, Windows Phone 8.x is better than Android. The Z10 came in second to the iPhone. The BB10 onscreen keyboard is one of the best I have ever used and the ability to fill the app gap with Android apps makes it the best "Android phone" out there.

Overall, the Blackberry devices and the QNX-based OS are very good. It is let down buy a lack of apps, and supporting infrastructure, i.e. Google/Microsoft/Apple cloud based apps and services.

Vistaus 
Posted on 17-Oct-2014 9:58:01
#7 ]

@agami

Although at least MS services is partly covered due to the Exchange support and BlackBerry's own Connect to Microsoft OneDrive app (which uses the public OneDrive API).

Barana 
Posted on 21-Oct-2014 8:13:15
#8 ]
Cult Member

blackberry the one ronnie

I serve King Jesus.
What/who do you serve?

CritAnime 
Posted on 21-Oct-2014 12:41:11
#9 ]
Cult Member

@agami

Quote:

agami wrote:
Overall, the Blackberry devices and the QNX-based OS are very good. It is let down buy a lack of apps, and supporting infrastructure, i.e. Google/Microsoft/Apple cloud based apps and services.

I miss my Z10 but a lack of infrastructure and apps have meant that I moved to Apple. Where most of the systems at my place of work connect to Apple no problem.

Admin at Commodore Gaming Wiki

number6 
Posted on 29-Aug-2015 14:01:50
#10 ]
Elite Member

@thread

By creating an Android phone...

Hypex 
Posted on 29-Aug-2015 16:36:40
#11 ]
Elite Member

@Barana

Will you be making an Amiga flavored yogurt?

I didn't know Blackberry were still around. Do they have black apps?

If the Rasberry Pi became a phone they'd have some competition apart from Apple.

Also do they still have a real keyboard? I should probably look into that. My keying has never been as good since I lost a real keyboard and half my screen to this excuse for one on a touch screen I've been putting up with for about four years.

But the original mini keys looked pretty small to me so I imagine I'd get frustrated by a real keyboard with 5mm keys suitable for a five year old finger. Don't want to go from fake keys to real ones of the same size.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle