Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 109 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

kolla

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kolla:  1 min ago
 OneTimer1:  13 mins ago
 BigD:  56 mins ago
 OlafS25:  58 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 26 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 29 mins ago
 Gunnar:  2 hrs 7 mins ago
 Frank:  2 hrs 14 mins ago
 MickJT:  2 hrs 53 mins ago
 A1200:  3 hrs 17 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Website feedback and suggestions
      /  Remove the donate
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
A1200 
Remove the donate
Posted on 15-Dec-2014 1:49:26
#1 ]
Elite Member

As the website is very much owned by a commercial entity now and the contributors of the content and traffic are Amigakit / A-Eon customers, I don't think its appropriate there's still a donation button to effectively gift a company money via a blatant advertising medium.

Just so you know this mid 30's chap is down with da kidz: #justsayin

Last edited by A1200 on 15-Dec-2014 at 01:50 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
number6 
Re: Remove the donate
Posted on 15-Dec-2014 1:53:00
#2 ]
Elite Member

@A1200

As I often respond to all posts about Amigaworld website changes...

There is no site developer. I'm just not sure whether your particular request could be addressed by those who are currently minding the store.

broadblues 
Posted on 15-Dec-2014 1:59:06
#3 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@A1200

There is no requirement for you to click the donate button.

A1200 
Posted on 15-Dec-2014 2:09:24
#4 ]
Elite Member

@number6

I will do it if I can have appropriate access for a few mins. That said Amigakit runs a pretty sophisticated website, I am sure there's someone at hand to make such a change.

A1200 
Posted on 15-Dec-2014 2:10:52
#5 ]
Elite Member

@broadblues

I am sure you would be less matter of fact if tesco.com or Microsoft.com had such a button.

broadblues 
Posted on 15-Dec-2014 2:37:51
#6 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@A1200

I wouldn't give two hoots, though I wouldn't be likely to click on it, any way it's a community site and every little helps.

Bugala 
Posted on 15-Dec-2014 7:43:59
#7 ]
Cult Member

@A1200

Well, when considering that it seems from Amikits comments on another thread, that their strategy plan is to aim even on software they are producing, I dont think it is too unreasonable thought of having donate button in this website, especially since it have been here before as well.

If you think of Microsoft for example, If they aim at getting even on some product, they dont do it. They aim of getting at least 10 times the investment (just a number from my head, not a fact) before doing anything.

With Microsoft the businessplan is to make as much profit as possible, with Amikit the plan is to hopefully make as much money as possible, but main driving force is in keeping Amiga market alive.

If you look at that businesswise, they are real stupid. Lot of work for realistically only very little return. If they get their investment back double, I think thats already a best seller from their point of view (and i pessimistically doubt they get double in any where they invest more than 2000).

But I do understand them. I could almost imagine myself doing the same.

Bondy 
Posted on 15-Dec-2014 8:15:29
#8 ]

It doesn't require a developer to remove it.

A1200 
Posted on 15-Dec-2014 8:17:15
#9 ]
Elite Member

@Bugala

If they file not for profit accounts then the button can stay, as for A-Eon, despite me saying its a labour of love, others have said its a credible business. If that's the case, you don't expect individuals to chip in to the online marketing budget.

mbrantley 
Posted on 15-Dec-2014 8:23:48
#10 ]
Cult Member

@A1200

Quote:
If they file not for profit accounts then the button can stay

The button can stay? Are you the boss of this button? This is funny.

Just ignore the button. If somebody else wants to click it, what difference does that make to you? #justsayin

Bugala 
Posted on 15-Dec-2014 8:27:07
#11 ]
Cult Member

@A1200

Well, actually, although not completely same thing, if you look at kickstarter, i would say otherwise. Theres plenty of campaigns that are aimed at getting a business up, and individuals do chip in.

Most of time they do get something concrete, like for example 3D printer bought in advance to make it possible for the company to start producing them in the first place, but there is usually also the option of 1 - 5 USD which is just "our greatest gratitude from your support" option, and people do put on that too.

Although we might not get anything concrete, like a CD full of games from donating to Amigaworld.net, we do get to keep the site going. For (almost) sure thing is, as long as they get enough money to cover the costs of running the site, they will keep it up, which is in our benefit. Although I suppose they will keep it running even without our donations as well.

By the way, I have never donated to amigaworld.net, at least as far as i can remember. Only been benefiting from it.

Last edited by Bugala on 15-Dec-2014 at 08:28 AM.

A1200 
Posted on 15-Dec-2014 8:27:51
#12 ]
Elite Member

@mbrantley

This is totally mad though. Just because I don't HAVE to donate, surely asking for money from a commercial entity is just plain bizarre. Better using the space for a feature. Is anyone really going to pay money towards keeping a site running owned by an oil tycoon? Very weird. There's even advertising on here.

And to answer to your question, I am not the boss of the button, I am the boss of this button:

A1200 
Posted on 15-Dec-2014 8:29:12
#13 ]
Elite Member

@Bugala

Quote:
By the way, I have never donated to amigaworld.net, at least as far as i can remember. Only been benefiting from it.

Better start now then dude, or they might run out of cash and you will be left void of this resource!

mbrantley 
Posted on 15-Dec-2014 8:30:13
#14 ]
Cult Member

@A1200

LOL. OK, that's an intimidating button you've got there. I've stayed up too late and am punchy.... good night.

Bugala 
Posted on 15-Dec-2014 8:33:16
#15 ]
Cult Member

@A1200

Not actually commenting your comment, but just came another example of individual chipping in. ZZAP magazine ran for, was it 1 more year or what? thanks to some millionaire putting money on it. I suppose he wanted the C64 era to last just a bit longer, and hence he chipped in so to say, although I think he actually bought the magazine, but i doubt there was much of a prospect of actually getting money back at that point, so you could look it as donation to keep commercial magazine goign on.

Luckily this isnt the situation with amigaworld.net, at least not yet. But i doubt ever will be either, after all, yearly server costs arent that high nowadays.

Last edited by Bugala on 15-Dec-2014 at 08:34 AM.

Spirantho 
Posted on 15-Dec-2014 10:18:32
#16 ]

@A1200

A-Eon and AmigaKit are viable companies, true. However, they are also VERY much a labour of love. Trevor doesn't have to put so much money into our community, and into the Amiga's future. Matthew could get much more money doing something else if he wanted. The amount of money in the Amiga market is tiny. These guys aren't doing it to get rich, they're doing it because they love what they do - supporting the Amiga.

We should support them all the way - maybe because selfishly we want the Amiga in its various forms to continue to survive against the odds, as it has done (due in no small part to A-Eon and Amigakit). Maybe because Matthew and Trevor deserve a reward for the hard work and wads of cash they have BOTH invested in the Amiga.
Either way, they - and the Amiga deserves our support.

And just to put my money where my mouth is, I just donated £10 as a direct result of this thread.

Trixie 
Posted on 15-Dec-2014 12:15:32
#17 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@A1200

You, sir, seem to have a problem. Or an unhealthy amount of free time in your hands.

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

A1200 
Posted on 15-Dec-2014 13:27:35
#18 ]
Elite Member

@Trixie

I do have problems. We all do. Mine are nothing to do with this website. It is just good sport. I am not really bothered but easy to sound off on here about a button than try and conquer world poverty or slavery between jobs.

Hypex 
Posted on 15-Dec-2014 14:17:52
#19 ]
Elite Member

@A1200

AW might have been bought out but it doesn't make money AFAIK and costs money to run. So has the situation changed?

I see a few music blog sites where the blogger asks for donations. One could argue; they have a job, they aren't dirt poor, why should I donate?

But, don't you think having gold against your name would look nice?

eliyahu 
Posted on 15-Dec-2014 15:37:28
#20 ]

@A1200

just a thought: unlike amiga.org, no one from A-EON has really touched anything here at AWN yet. all of the about pages, copyright notices, etc., are all still from before the acquisition. is it possible, just possible, that they haven't gotten around to the donation function yet, either?

-- eliyahu

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle