Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
19 crawler(s) on-line.
 136 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 clint:  8 mins ago
 RickSkid:  18 mins ago
 bhabbott:  23 mins ago
 BigD:  26 mins ago
 Diane:  28 mins ago
 VooDoo:  32 mins ago
 A1200:  36 mins ago
 pixie:  48 mins ago
 retrofaza:  49 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 10 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Gaming
      /  New Amiga Game: Help My Cat!
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Bugala 
New Amiga Game: Help My Cat!
Posted on 25-Dec-2014 21:29:02
#1 ]
Cult Member

More than 20 years ago, i had this idea for a game, but technology of that time didnt allow me to realise it, now, over 20 years later, technology have catched up with my dream... well, not really.

Over 20 years ago I had my first realisitically achievable game plan that i was planning to make with Easy Amos. However, it became part of the endless pile of unfinished programs that so many programmers are familiar with - until today!

Today finally, the childhood dream of a game have become reality. And what is great is that I happened to make most of the graphics already back then, as well as the plan was both complete and good enough, that I was able to follow it with only small amount of changes.

I would say this is about 80 percent like it had been, had i been able to make it already back then. Although naturally Hollywood-language, which i used to finally make this, hadnt been around then yet.

Musics used in game already existed at time I made the plan, and I am quite convinced I had used exactly the one, if not both of them then too.

This should have quite authentic feel to what early 90s teenager (or younger) could have got out back then.

I hereby present you:

Help My Cat!

Short gameplay video

A small Platform Puzzle Adventure game, where you aim at getting a cat down from a tree by using stuff lying around (bit like point'n'click adventure in platform way). It takes maybe 30 minutes to complete, and less than 2 minutes if you know the solutions to puzzles.

You may download it from Indiego! appstore: http://www.indiego-gaming.com/marketplace for free under the "Games/Adventure"-category, available for AOS3, AOS4, AROS, MorphOS, PC, MAC, LINUX.

I chose to use Indiego! appstore, since basically I wanted to have a webpage dedicated to this game, but i wasnt willing to use the time to make it, at least not yet, and I didnt want a simple link to dropbox either.

Indiego! gave me good middle solution by providing a little page for the game, plus an easy way to publish the several different versions of the game. Without Indiego!, I dont think I would have got this published yet. The knowledge that there was such a suitable solution to my publishing problem existing actually gave me the last push to do the last missing things for the game and get it finally ready for release. Hence, I like to give special thanks to Indiego appstore as well, although i didnt credit them in game.

Also thanks to Hypex and Barana for giving me feedback in final testing phase.

Last edited by Bugala on 26-Dec-2014 at 09:17 AM.
Last edited by Bugala on 25-Dec-2014 at 09:37 PM.
Last edited by Bugala on 25-Dec-2014 at 09:31 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
cgutjahr 
Re: New Amiga Game: Help My Cat!
Posted on 25-Dec-2014 21:52:52
#2 ]
Cult Member

@Bugala

Quote:

I chose to use Indiego! appstore

Maybe you're new here, so I'll spell it out for you:

A - M - I - N - E - T

But yeah, an "app store" that requires me to download a shell only client for downloading a free game - that makes sense.

Quote:

since basically I wanted to have a webpage dedicated to this game

Your Game doesn't have a website now. Actually, I can't think of a way to make your game more obscure and harder to get - and I really did give this some thought.

The whole world has gone nuts.

Since I'll never get to try your game, a screenshot or a video would have been nice. And I'm talking "freely available" screenshot/video here, not whatever subscription based Youtube alternative Mr. Papara is going to unveil tomorrow.

Bugala 
Posted on 25-Dec-2014 22:05:59
#3 ]
Cult Member

@cgutjahr

I might put it to Aminet at some point (probably will put it elsewhere too), but at this point it had just been a link like the before mentioned dropbox, and hence I used only Indiego, since i wanted something reminding of a webpage, which Indiego offered, although I know many will not take the effort to first download Indiego just to get some free game (especially without pictures).

About the picture part, I actully tried to include picture right under the title in the original message, but seems using dropbox link with IMG tag didnt work. Hence I just removed it and figured I maybe add it later if i decide to take the effort.

Same with youtube. I might do it at some point.

Right now I was just wanting to get it finally released. With the cost of some quality on the release notice.

After all, it is just a small, average, free game, so im not aiming it to be a most widespread free game there ever was. Just to give some fun for some, and hopefully some feedback. Similarly the reason why I decided to use Indiego at start, although many wont take it because of the difficulty of geting it, it makes it look nice. Almost like a real game, if you catch the idea. You could say that either no webpage and more downloads, or something resembling of a webpage but less downloads, and i decided to take the latter one at this point.

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 25-Dec-2014 22:37:50
#4 ]

@cgutjahr
What do you mean with shell only client?
The GUI version is available since 4 or 5 month:

http://aros-exec.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=92260#forumpost92260

Video of latest version here:

http://youtu.be/oY_L8NRyzmI

I reported this quite often to amiganews but you always linked to the shell client which is also available but not the way to go for normal non geek users.

The store will be placed centrally in most aros distros and so I believe it is a better way to reach users than the aminet. Also it is the only store who shares revenue also with developers of freeware.

Maybe some news posts ended in your spam box.

Ps:
Nach amiganews regeln müsste dein post, der dazu noch eine Lüge enthält, als spam gelöscht werden ; )
Infiltrierst gerade so wie ich einen Threads ; )

Last edited by phoenixkonsole on 25-Dec-2014 at 11:02 PM.
Last edited by phoenixkonsole on 25-Dec-2014 at 10:59 PM.
Last edited by phoenixkonsole on 25-Dec-2014 at 10:43 PM.
Last edited by phoenixkonsole on 25-Dec-2014 at 10:42 PM.

cgutjahr 
Posted on 25-Dec-2014 23:18:19
#5 ]
Cult Member

@phoenixkonsole

Quote:

The GUI version is available since 4 or 5 month

Your graphical clients do not work for me, on Debian64 they only show a black screen. Hence I would have to use your text client. My Apologies, should have made that more clear.

My point still stands - this app store nonsense is starting to a become a major PITA, even for people not using it at all.

As for your German remark: No, I'm not spamming. I was looking forward to check this game out, it sounded like it might provide five minutes of fun before hitting the sheets - I was intrigued by the description of the Game concept.

Then I found out that the author invested as much work into making his game unavailable as in producing it. And yeah - let's believe Ugala came up with the idea of 'releasing' it via your Appstore himself. Because he "wanted something reminding of a webpage". That explanation is totally convincing.

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 26-Dec-2014 0:07:46
#6 ]

@cgutjahr
I can Understand his explanation because he was able to upload it via webinterface and Add Images and a description which are visible in the AppStore.
And as i wrote a Year ago:
The Server-API is Open for 3rd Party Clients and also Websites.
A own Web-based Solution will follow but has no Priority for me at this Point.

You could Run the AmigaOS Client in winuae/wine/fs-uae on your debian64.
Or find out the missing 32bit libs ; ) (kidding -i will Look at it)

Petah 
Posted on 26-Dec-2014 0:34:00
#7 ]

Quote:
his explanation because he

That is an interesting assumption of gender.

Lazi 
Posted on 26-Dec-2014 8:55:57
#8 ]
Cult Member

My opinion is that free stuff should be on Aminet. The "appstore" can only help in the pay procedure, other functions are pretty uncomfortable compared to the Aminet.

Tried it really, but had to stop it after two minutes waiting and looking a "Downloading..." button without any progress sign.
The displayed description text of the program is horrible. Every new line position has the "rn" characters without new line.

Will try it later, I am courious about any Hollywood creations.

Bugala 
Posted on 26-Dec-2014 9:20:20
#9 ]
Cult Member

I now made a short gameplay video to youtube:
Short gameplay video

Cant really show much more without spoilers, since game is so short.

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 26-Dec-2014 9:40:00
#10 ]

@Lazi
The rn is not yet translated correctly from html. Will be fixed.
Again:
The AppStore is part of Broadway and aeros and it is planend to be filled with Freeware and commercial Software from C64 up to pc. It is still in Beta.

I am not interested in reassembling aminet. I am aiming at new users who are used to look for a AppStore.

The Download Happens in a Second App called dlm (download manager).
It would help if people could tell at least the os they used in case the dlm didn't start.

Normal behavior is that as soon you login a second app "dlm" should be opened and iconyfied.
If you click on that icon it will be maximized and will show you your active downloads.
Dlm can also be run stand alone as soon you added apps to the download queue.

Last edited by phoenixkonsole on 26-Dec-2014 at 09:42 AM.

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 26-Dec-2014 10:19:22
#11 ]

@Bugala
I played through it yesterday and i had a positive flashback to the Commander keen Time.
I assume your Code could be extended to a Commander keen like experience so i find it very interesting to See this done in Hollywood.

Lazi 
Posted on 29-Dec-2014 22:42:54
#12 ]
Cult Member

@Bugala

Somehow I found it and played. Quite amateur gfx, but I like the game. Nice puzzles, however I have not finished yet :)

Nice work, thanks!

Overflow 
Posted on 29-Dec-2014 23:02:39
#13 ]

As Lazi said;

The graphics looks quite simple, but effective.

That said; I like the vibe and presentation when watching the Youtube.

Basically; I like what Im seeing, so "Keep it up"

Last edited by Overflow on 29-Dec-2014 at 11:03 PM.

Bugala 
Posted on 30-Dec-2014 16:50:14
#14 ]
Cult Member

@Lazi @ Oveflow

Graphics shown in that video are mostly done when i was about 12 years old (a guess by memory). However, what you dont see in the video is when you get on top of the aprtment bulding. Those graphics I think I mostly did couple of years later, as teenager (cant remember for sure anymore) And personally I think those are best graphics in the game, and that place is otherwise more lively place as well by having animations there, which i believe to mainly be since I probably thought of that place better couple of years after the original plan in which I didnt really think much about what it will look on top of that building.

When you get the cat down, there comes two pictures, which are recent drawings, but I tried to imitate my kiddie style in them a bit, hence I tried to draw them quite quick to keep the style similar.

Although, to my shame I have to say that when it was tested by some before the release, it seems that my most recent drawings (like the granny at beginning) were most unclear to them of what were they representing.

I guess it is pretty much up to your taste wether you like those graphics or not, since you can see the artistic eye is quite much missing and you could even say that drawings are done somwhat randomly in style sense. For example, you can see some 3D effort in them, but that 3D makes no sense actually, which is because as a kid I probably had some idea about 3D drawing, but not really, and hence I was able to apply it at some places, but not being able to stay consistent with it however.

And it is good to hear you liked the puzzles and the wibe of it, since I have been thinking of making a bigger and (hopefully) better game in similar gameplay style with my adult brains now, but I decided to look first what people think of this game. That if they all think its crap and they dont like anything about it, then no point in making this other similar type game, but if they do seem to like the game style, then perhaps well worth a try.

And thanks for the feedback!
also to Phoenixconsole.

It is appreciated.

Last edited by Bugala on 30-Dec-2014 at 04:52 PM.
Last edited by Bugala on 30-Dec-2014 at 04:50 PM.

Bugala 
Posted on 22-May-2015 14:37:29
#15 ]
Cult Member

Indiego now supports direct download links, heres ones "for Help My Cat!":

AOS3: http://78.46.91.215/file/downloadApp/e464d96c84ae435b3b76e552e5b45179

Aros: http://78.46.91.215/file/downloadApp/11fdf6702d2735a015142573a93b4e6c

MorphOS: http://78.46.91.215/file/downloadApp/c104934b4cf30f8771144167eee17f3b

AOS4: http://78.46.91.215/file/downloadApp/cac71065c227dcb5433e40d9594cd2e8

Windows: http://78.46.91.215/file/downloadApp/35d37e15103b435a91255650420131c3

Bugala 
Posted on 24-May-2015 7:52:57
#16 ]
Cult Member

Didnt come to my mind to mention that since this is made with Hollywood, AOS3 version reguires GFX card to work, and it might be bit power hungry otherwise too, despite it being quite simple and light. I havent tested it with classic, so I have no idea about power reguirement, but could well be 030 or something.

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 24-May-2015 9:56:54
#17 ]

@Bugala
About The questions on Amiga.org regarding The 68k version:
A 060 may have trouble with the ogg filetype. If you would use low quality wav it could work. Much better would be stuff like mod for music which a 68k could play back easely.

Of course he could try the no sound option

Edit:
@registered developers
Please log in via www.indiego.rocks else you get links using the ip of the server.

The problem is that the ip could change in some years/month. I will update tomorrow the developer guide and all urls on my websites.

Last edited by phoenixkonsole on 24-May-2015 at 09:59 AM.

Bugala 
Posted on 24-May-2015 22:03:03
#18 ]
Cult Member

@phoenixkonsole

Good point about that Ogg. I have got so used to world of MP3s and Ogg Vorbis, that I forgot that once upon a time it was a huge task for computers to play them.

I think I will one of these days take a look if i can make them into Mods and Wavs and make new version for AOS3 which will have a chance to work with classic machines too.

I am bit of recalling that there was some trouble with the MOD playing, that Hollywoods player didnt support some very basic Speed changing tags which made MODs play wrong speed. However, Im not sure if i tried these MODs, I think it was another project upon which I decided to abandon MODs for future usage for missing that speed thing.

Hypex 
Posted on 25-May-2015 9:33:34
#19 ]
Elite Member

@phoenixkonsole

Given the origins of the game perhaps 8SVX would be best? However, perhaps a customised solution could also work. Say converting samples to delta values then run it through a normal compressor. I don't know if HW supports compression itself but this would help to bring the file size down. OTOH there were a few Amiga audio compression codecs like this. Getting HW to load and play them is another matter.

Bugala 
Posted on 25-May-2015 12:42:04
#20 ]
Cult Member

@Hypex

No idea if HW supports something like that or not, but thanks from the idea anyway.

I will simply look if i can get the original Mods to play correctly and then probably just make the samples in to wavs. Theres not that many of them, plus I dont think space is much of a problem for those who are still using Classic Amigas and wanting to try a new game. Hence Im not trying to get the size down.
Besides, even if samples take more space, the musics will take much less as they are just couple hundred kilo Mods, actually might be even less than 100 kb Mods, so that probably evens the situation anyway.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle