Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
15 crawler(s) on-line.
 151 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 blmara:  11 mins ago
 miggymac:  54 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 22 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 43 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  3 hrs 22 mins ago
 DWolfman:  3 hrs 31 mins ago
 cncparts:  5 hrs 4 mins ago
 saipaman4366:  5 hrs 51 mins ago
 Beajar:  6 hrs 10 mins ago
 Rob:  6 hrs 12 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Un-reliable XE 800Mhz, cont. from OS4.1 final tips thread
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Arnie 
Un-reliable XE 800Mhz, cont. from OS4.1 final tips thread
Posted on 13-Jan-2015 18:31:26
#1 ]
Cult Member

Thought I would continue here as the subject was a little of topic for the original thread.

@Hypex

Quote:

Yeah that PSU sounds a but low. Then again I had a PSU which was 380W IIRC which was fine with a G4, but it wasn't clear what power it output. And it just died out of the blue at an Amiga meeting. Funnily enough someone had a spare, exact model as mine, LOL. How old is your PSU?

For now you may be forced to lower the speed again. I don't like to see an A1 like this!

I've seen that UBoot problem here sometimes. A reboot tends to fix it up for the moment. So your autoboot variables are okay? Fairly standard setup, no major changes?

RAM should be okay but maybe try taking it out, making sure it's clean. What happened to your first slot?

A good way to test memory is to boot a Linux kernel. Tends to trip up straight away on a problem.

My PSU is 10+ years as its the original I got for the machine when I built it.

My Uboot settings are all standard apart from not using on board IDE. The boot to menu only started after the last changing of the battery, I've done it a few times before.

Not sure about the first memory slot but it always seemed to be less reliable than the second, some times in the past to the extent of the machine failing to reach Uboot. That said I did try it again the other day and it reacted much the same as normal as it stands.

I have since removed cleaned and re-attached the heatsink to the processor making sure its held a little firmer than before not forgetting heatsink compound, the pad of which seemed a little dry and flaky to me leaving no residue on the processor itself.

The machine is still not 100% so may have to invest in a PSU to at least give it a try.

Profile     Report this post  
JurassicC 
Re: Un-reliable XE 800Mhz, cont. from OS4.1 final tips thread
Posted on 13-Jan-2015 21:20:01
#2 ]

@Arnie

Is the cpu fan going around the correct way ? As the cpu fan connector is not keyed its possible to reverse it. I remember sorting swoops problems out at a big bash and that was the cause.

The manual says

Quote:

Make sure you have approved memory. This should be registered (ie buffered) 168-pin SDRAM. We recommend Kingston KVR133X72RC3/512 512MB registered DIMM modules with Infineon, or Hynix chips. Please note that KVR133X72RC3/512 modules with Toshiba chips will not currently work with the AmigaOne-XE. AmigaOne developers have also reported that 256MB and 512MB registered Samsung and Legend modules also work fine.
Make sure that you have an ATX case with a 300W (or greater) PSU that is capable of taking a full-sized ATX motherboard. The case should have - or have provision for - a second cooling fan in addition to that in the PSU as the 7451 (G4) CPU needs to operate at 35 degrees or below for optimum performance and this obviously also requires the inside of the case to be kept cool. The board ATX power connector is J16. Some developers have reported experiencing stability problems which have disappeared when the power supply unit has been changed for a better quality one.
The board will probably be shipped to you with the jumpers set up correctly, but it is always wise to double check before installing the AmigaOne motherboard in its case. The full board documentation is supplied as a pdf file on the AmigaOne Linux Install CD. However here is a quick guide to setting up the board. Set the jumpers as follows:
JP17 CPU voltage range adjuster - in place (shorting)
J17 CPU voltage (4 x switches near PSU connector on main board) depends on CPU module as follows:
7451/7455 (G4) module 1-on 2-off 3-on 4-off
750Fx (G3) module 1-off 2-on 3-off 4-off
JP11, JP12, JP13 FSB speed should all bridge pins 1&2 (pin 1 is next to the white rectangle on the board)
The CPU module daughter board also required the correct settings as follows:
7451/7455 (G4) CPU module J2 (4 x switches): 1-off; 2-off; 3-on; 4-off.
750Fx (G3) CPU module J2 (4 x switches): 1-on; 2-off; 3-off; 4-on. In addition the jumpers JP1, JP2 & JP3 on the CPU module should be in place (shorted)
Note the positions and/or settings of the following connectors and jumpers:
CPU fan connector JP 14 & JP15. Pin 1=+3.3v; Pin 2=+12v; Pin 3=Ground. (Pin 1 is nearest to the I/O socket side of the board). The black wire should go to ground and the red wire to +12v (centre pin).
First DIMM slot=J3; Second DIMM slot=J4
IDE Primary channel = JP4, Secondary IDE channel = JP5. Cable red stripe goes to the pins 1,2 end (ie the end which is nearest the floppy drive connector, JP6).
Floppy drive cable = JP6. Cable red stripe goes to the pins 1,2 end (ie the end which is farthest from the IDE connector JP4)
An AGP graphics card goes in the J5 slot. If a PCI graphics card is used that is 3.3v, PCI 66 compliant (all the recommended graphics cards are) it should go in the J11 slot. Otherwise it should go in J8, J9 or J10 PCI slots.
The sound card goes in J8, J9, or J10 PCI slots. If using a sound card connect the audio output of the CDROM to the input on the sound card using a suitable cable.
Onboard sound (subject to drivers) uses the following connectors: JP31 - SPDIF out; JP32 - mono out; JP33 - aux in; JP34 - CD audio in.
The power switch connector from ATX case goes to JP1
The power-on LED (3-pin connector) goes to JP29 (at the edge of the board near the on-board green LED). The black wire goes to pin 3. Note that this connector is for red, green and yellow LED's only. Blue LED's which require a higher voltage should be connected directly to a PSU 5v connector via a 100R resistor in one lead.
The hard drive LED connector from ATX case goes to JP3 (red wire towards the centre of the board).
The reset switch connector from ATX case goes to JP18
The speaker connector from ATX case goes to JP16.
J9A1 (10-pin header near the lower rear corner of the board when mounted in a tower case) is for connecting the second USB connector (USB3 & USB4). Pin 1 is marked with a white square. Pins 9 & 10 are labelled on the board (pin 10 is missing as a polarising pin). Pins 1 (+5v), 3 (-D), 5 (+D), 7 (gnd) form USB3; pins 2 (+5v), 4 (-D), 6 (+D), 8 (gnd) form USB4; pin 9 is shield ground. Standard PC-type dual USB headers/sockets (available from most AmigaOne dealers) are suitable.
J7 (near the floppy drive connector) is the infrared port connector.
JP2 (near the end of the SDRAM sockets), JP19 (near the floppy drive connector) and JP20 (between the CPU module and the on-board audio sockets) should both be set to short pins 2 & 3.

Last edited by JurassicC on 13-Jan-2015 at 09:22 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 14-Jan-2015 12:36:20
#3 ]
Elite Member

@Arnie

Quote:
My PSU is 10+ years as its the original I got for the machine when I built it.

It must be a good one if it's still going But that is old so consider replacing it and keeping it as a backup.

The one I have now is rated at 550W (not that it outputs that) and was a simple silver box one with a reasonable price tag.

Quote:
The boot to menu only started after the last changing of the battery,

Okay it may have gone funny after that. But lately I've had good experiences with my settings.

I've used the repair/recover settings option and it has worked for me in the past. But it can fail. If you don't have many settings perhaps use the menu in UBoot to reset to factory settings then disable on board IDE and save. Just to clear anything up.

Quote:
That said I did try it again the other day and it reacted much the same as normal as it stands.

So by this stage you would have tested the same RAM stick in both slots and only one was stable? What RAM do you have? Settings, model number, etc.

Quote:
I have since removed cleaned and re-attached the heatsink to the processor making

That's a big job. Well fragile anyway.

Hypex 
Posted on 14-Jan-2015 12:55:43
#4 ]
Elite Member

@JurassicC

Manual as per here?
http://www.intuitionbase.com/a1_xe.pdf

danwood 
Posted on 14-Jan-2015 13:52:45
#5 ]

@Hypex

Quote:
It must be a good one if it's still going But that is old so consider replacing it and keeping it as a backup.

Is 10 years old for a power supply? I have original Commodore ones for my Amigas, C64 and Vic 20, the oldest is 32 years and still working.

My A4000 still has the original (re-capped) PSU but maybe I should get a new on in there if it's a ticking time bomb.

danwood 
Posted on 14-Jan-2015 13:55:25
#6 ]

@Arnie

I had many of the same problems you've had Arnie, basically the A1XE boards were rebranded dev boards (Teron) and not ready or designed for end-users.

After many wasted weekends and hundreds of ££s replacing components, I got frustrated with it and and haven't powered it on for around 18 months now.

Try some of the advice in the thread, but you might be better off cutting your losses and saving your sanity before spending money on replacement parts, and just get a Sam or (as I did) a PPC Mac and run MorphOS. That registered RAM isn't cheap.

Arnie 
Posted on 14-Jan-2015 20:09:53
#7 ]
Cult Member

@Hypex

I have PC133-512MB-DIMM made by HYNIX, Its what Eyetech supplied with the board when I bought it the only other info on the label is presumably a serial / part No. E5556116. Not really a branded type but I trusted they would sell the right ones.

Arnie 
Posted on 14-Jan-2015 20:17:12
#8 ]
Cult Member

@danwood

I would be more worried about the Vic20 and C64 power supplies as they can slowly kill the machines without any warning. I've stopped using mine for now.

Its an interesting point you make about the A1 board, I know I was an earlybird adopter but considering the price I'd have thought we'd get something a bit better.

danwood 
Posted on 14-Jan-2015 20:43:33
#9 ]

@Arnie

Quote:
I would be more worried about the Vic20 and C64 power supplies as they can slowly kill the machines without any warning. I've stopped using mine for now.

Yeah I do have a third party PSU for the C64 actually "Micro Mate" I believe, plugged that in now.

My Vic 20 is one of the awkward early ones with the two-pin plug, but it doesn't really get used these days anyway, it's more just a display model.

Quote:
Its an interesting point you make about the A1 board, I know I was an earlybird adopter but considering the price I'd have thought we'd get something a bit better.

Unfortunately not, they took the easy route and just slapped the AmigaOne name on a developer board from MAI logic iirc, hence all the many bugs. I pretty much replaced every on-board component I could with PCI cards but was still very unstable. One thing I didn't try replacing was the onboard ethernet, I've had it suggested to me that it can cause problems too, so if you can get a cheap supported PCI card, might be worth a shot.

My main cost was the RAM though, the SIMMs cost me around £25-50 on ebay per time, and some were non returnable, I bought 4 off ebay in the end, two of them were identical model numbers, manufacturers and suggested as working on the A1XE, but only one would... the difference? The brand of actual chips on the board! It really is that fussy.

Robert 
Posted on 15-Jan-2015 12:10:22
#10 ]
Cult Member

@Arnie

Quote:

Perhaps.
OTOH, when I signed up to the earlybird offer, I knew I was taking a chance and that there might be some issues with the board.
In the end, I had to replace the CPU at a cost of quite a few pounds, then replace the useless fan with a heat-sink but, apart from that and the CMOS battery draining every couple of years, mine has been pretty stable.
I haven't had any major issues with on board ethernet so far.

Having said all that, despite heavy usage for the first two or three years, it's been used *very* sparingly since (my main 'puter is a Mac) and, until 4.1FE, not at all for about a year.

Anyway, hope you get your issues resolved.

All the best,

Abel Soul - Check out our tunes on Spotify

Hypex 
Posted on 15-Jan-2015 12:54:18
#11 ]
Elite Member

@danwood

Quote:
Is 10 years old for a power supply? I have original Commodore ones for my Amigas,

Funny, as I was actally thinking the same thing when I typed that. The only original Amiga I use consistently now is an A4000D which has the original PSU by the looks of it. But it only gets used on average once or twice a month when I take it to an Amiga meeting.

Taking the PSU under consideration, I wonder if a micro-ATX would fit in the same space. The A4000D PSU is quite small agaisnt an ATX one today.

Quote:
After many wasted weekends and hundreds of ££s replacing components, I got frustrated with it and and haven't powered it on for around 18 months now.

That's sad, how long have you owned it? Perhaps I am one of the lucky ones but once I got a new PSU and found some RAM my machinre has been quite stable. I also have a 0680 card but had that for years, first upgrade IIRC.

Quote:
I pretty much replaced every on-board component I could with PCI cards but was still very unstable.

Mine was okay at first, once I got some working RAM I got an SBLive! and later a 0680 IDE because I wanted UDMA on my drives. Then later I sought out a USB2 card, not for the hot plug issue really as I had a fix in place, but because I did need more ports. My fix only gave me two ports. Later I sought out a working USB2 card when we got USB2 support because I wanted the speed. Made mistakes buying VIA cards, OS4 USB2 driver does not work with them, or rarely does. Found an NEC card and now my USB2 problems are solved!

Quote:
One thing I didn't try replacing was the onboard ethernet, I've had it suggested to me that it can cause problems too

It can conflict with the on-board IDE ports. Ten years ago more of us were on dial so didn't see the problem using a serial port for internet. But if you enable UDMA on the on-board IDE and transfer over ethernet it will eventally freeze due to a conflict of sorts.

Quote:
My main cost was the RAM though, the SIMMs cost me around £25-50 on ebay per time, and some were non returnable

I found a pair of 1GB Micron server RAM sticks on eBay some years back which was a double gamble as I didn't know if it would work and there are apparently no known cases of 2GB RAM working in an A1. Well the RAM worked and my machine has worked fine since.

Last edited by Hypex on 16-Jan-2015 at 11:25 AM.
Last edited by Hypex on 15-Jan-2015 at 01:19 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 15-Jan-2015 13:00:30
#12 ]
Elite Member

@Arnie

Okay I see. Well if you can trust Eyetech supplied the right RAM.

I setup my A1 back in the day and bought myself a 512MB stick. It too had Hynix on it but I've been told there is a difference between a sticker that says Hynix and actual Hynix chips. Looks like I had the sticker model as only 256MB was stable, the upper 256MB gave me trouble. I replaced it with 256MB StarRAM which was stable and worked well. I did have a gamble finding working parts. Both sticks were generic non-registered.

Hypex 
Posted on 15-Jan-2015 13:29:13
#13 ]
Elite Member

@Robert

Quote:
OTOH, when I signed up to the earlybird offer, I knew I was taking a chance and that there might be some issues with the board.

I too signed up for the Earlyboard offer. I rememnber it took ages to get here.

Quote:
n the end, I had to replace the CPU at a cost of quite a few pounds, then replace the useless fan with a heat-sink

Yeah that fan was useless! IIRC, my board was laying flat when I powered it up for the first time. Then I heard this whirring sound speed up real fast and reached for the power switch. Next I notice the fan has flown off on one side and the CPU had burnt out!

Fortunately I was able to get it replaced under warranty. So I'll give them that, they honoured it. But I know a rumour was passed around that I had fried my CPU. Yeah, I loosened the nuts and bolts so the fan would fly off because I thought it would look funny.

The first A1 had these weak nylon bolts, or nylocs IIRC. The replacement had metallic nuts and bolts which looked more secure but I felt they had been purposely fixed to the CPU because they didn't trust me with it. Water under the bridge now.

Last edited by Hypex on 16-Jan-2015 at 11:36 AM.

Arnie 
Posted on 15-Jan-2015 18:40:04
#14 ]
Cult Member

@Hypex

My Ram say hynix on the chips and board, but I'm wondering whether its really worth trying to find better now.

I haven't mentioned my network problems yet, internet seems fine when the machine is behaving but moving to much to and from my network drive results in a lockup that's not just with large files either.
Same goes for USB which makes getting this to and from the machine a right pain.

Its a real shame the X1000 cost twice as much as the Linux box I'm now using for half the power. Linux I find better than that Microsoft thing but I miss Amiga OS's simplicity.

JurassicC 
Posted on 15-Jan-2015 18:46:39
#15 ]

@Hypex

No. There was another written by Eyetech before the MAI logic was made public.

delshay 
Posted on 16-Jan-2015 3:24:23
#16 ]

Important Question for "all" amiga(s) computers that use SDRAM to DDR2, can the voltage be adjusted for memory slot.

After looking at G.SKILL forum a engineer state not all motherboard output the correct voltage for memory slots even if it is set correctly. A meter is required to check the voltage is set correctly.

Even if you have two identical motherboards, the voltage output maybe different. This could be why some users have problems and others do not.

I don't know know if any amiga computer(s) that use SDRAM,DDR,DDR2 are affected,but if you buy second hand memory module(s) their may work but the memory module(s) I have here all work but I can see errors at certain speeds.

The first results are expected within a month DDR,DDR2 there is a delay on SDRAM. I have high hopes for some impressive results.

Last edited by delshay on 16-Jan-2015 at 07:19 AM.
Last edited by delshay on 16-Jan-2015 at 03:31 AM.

delshay 
Posted on 16-Jan-2015 3:46:34
#17 ]

Just to add from my last posting in this thread. BEWARE second hand memory module(s) may have errors even if your computer can't detect it.

There are a few users that claim to have 2GB ram working @133Mhz bus, perhaps these users may want to post make model number to help other users.

Last edited by delshay on 16-Jan-2015 at 07:17 AM.
Last edited by delshay on 16-Jan-2015 at 04:14 AM.
Last edited by delshay on 16-Jan-2015 at 03:47 AM.

delshay 
Posted on 16-Jan-2015 4:21:28
#18 ]

This is another computer with SPDIF out,has anyone tested this output?

Hypex 
Posted on 16-Jan-2015 13:50:06
#19 ]
Elite Member

@Arnie

Looking at your profile your A1XE is almost exactly like mine except for the Catweasel.

Quote:
I haven't mentioned my network problems yet

If you have drives on the 0680 the network should be fine.

Quote:
Same goes for USB

My on board USB was fairly stable except for the OS4 stack going buggy from time to time when certain files just stalled it.

Quote:
Its a real shame the X1000 cost twice as much as the Linux box I'm now using for half the power.

What, only twice as much? You must have a real expensive Linux machine.

Last edited by Hypex on 16-Jan-2015 at 11:49 PM.

raumfahre 
Posted on 16-Jan-2015 16:33:55
#20 ]

@Hypex
Quote:

I found a pair of 1GB Micron server RAM sticks on eBay some years back which was a double gamble as I didn't know if it would work and there are apparently no known cases of 2GB RAM working in an A1. Well the RAM worked and my machine has worked fine since.
:)

I've had 2GB RAM in my XE for many years and it also has worked just fine.
I think my two modules are Compaq.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle