Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 81 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Tpod:  10 mins ago
 number6:  44 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 18 mins ago
 tekmage:  1 hr 28 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 41 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 47 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  2 hrs 31 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 35 mins ago
 amig_os:  2 hrs 43 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 49 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  Odyssey on FE (stupidity finally overcome; really solved [I think])
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
kilaueabart 
Odyssey on FE (stupidity finally overcome; really solved [I think])
Posted on 26-Jan-2015 21:50:07
#1 ]
Cult Member

OK, googling "OWB fonts" instead of "Odyssey fonts" seems to have brought the answer.

Why does Odyssey come up differently when I launch it from FE or from my 4.1.6 backup?

From 4.1.6 it comes up with a local newspaper as Start Page.

From FE the first page is about Odyssey or something. It has the same bookmarks across the top that 4.1.6 has, and they all work fine. But where 4.1.6 would show Japanese characters in some e-mail or web sites, FE shows little squares.

Odyssey sits in my Internet partition, with its configuration files. Why should it be different depending on the OS?

Since installing FE both OSes insist on doing something with fonts (FE does so much more quickly!). I remember having this problem when I first got Odyssey, but I don't quite recall the solution. I think it involved deleting something from Odyssey/Conf/font/, but I'm having a senior year and can't remember which to kick out. I tried googling for the answer, but no luck, so I'm hoping to get it here.

Last edited by kilaueabart on 08-Feb-2015 at 01:16 AM.
Last edited by kilaueabart on 06-Feb-2015 at 01:43 AM.
Last edited by kilaueabart on 04-Feb-2015 at 01:19 AM.
Last edited by kilaueabart on 27-Jan-2015 at 03:27 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
Hypex 
Re: Odyssey on FE (solved)
Posted on 27-Jan-2015 12:35:18
#2 ]
Elite Member

@kilaueabart

It seems you have already solved it. So what was the answer?

Last edited by Hypex on 27-Jan-2015 at 01:23 PM.

MickJT 
Posted on 27-Jan-2015 13:05:43
#3 ]
Cult Member

@Hypex

I assume he installed the Core Web Fonts, then modified fonts.conf to add the missing greater-than symbol (if that's still an issue now).

kilaueabart 
Posted on 27-Jan-2015 21:41:55
#4 ]
Cult Member

@Hypex

I can't believe I didn't include that! I get a little stupider every day.

The answer I found was to delete everything from /Conf/font/.

But it went through the font process again when I launched a few minutes ago, so now I'm not sure it was solved after all. I'm hoping it just had to put one file back in (now "[long hex name]-86.cache-2"). I guess I'll close and relaunch and see what happens...

OK, it came up with no activity in a Fonts window. I hope it'll be the same when I open after rebooting, but I won't try that now.

Last edited by kilaueabart on 27-Jan-2015 at 09:44 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 28-Jan-2015 12:35:43
#5 ]
Elite Member

@kilaueabart

I hadn't heard of that fix that I can recall. As suggested by MickJT I tend to run the font downloader and all seems to be well afterr that. Don't recall if that uses FixFonts either.

I also make sure I use the correct launcher icon which can cause havoc otherwise. Well not run perfectly. The setup is annoying to add to a dock as the launcher must be added and then renamed

kilaueabart 
Re: Odyssey on FE (not solved after all)
Posted on 30-Jan-2015 0:53:46
#6 ]
Cult Member

The problems are solved as far as OS4.1u6 is concerned. I don't get the font caching any more (though the solution apparently didn't involve deleting or adding any ">" or the like) and my East Asian fonts are back.

My Conf/font/ is weird. The Readme says it should look like

Quote:
(left angle)!-- Font directory list -->
(left angle)dir>fonts:_TrueType(left angle)/dir>
(left angle)dir>fonts:_ttf(left angle)/dir>

(Not being able to quote a left angle bracket and what follows before the next ">" is a bit annoying!)
I keep ending up with
Quote:
Directory "Internet:Odyssey/conf/font" on Tuesday 03-Feb-15
33dd8036a3f9ace59c02168889078104-x86.cache-2 176208 ----rw-d Yesterday 15:23:12
fonts.conf.info 11420 ----rw-d Saturday 15:25:00
fonts.conf Dir ----rwed Saturday 15:26:03
2 files - 183K bytes - 1 directory - 372 blocks used

Inside fonts.conf/ is another copy of the 33.....x86.cache-2 file. Deleting the extra outside one seemed to help with the FE launch at least once, but then I get the caching again in 4.1u6. But why is it so different from the Readme version in the first place?

Last edited by kilaueabart on 04-Feb-2015 at 01:18 AM.

kilaueabart 
Posted on 4-Feb-2015 1:50:39
#7 ]
Cult Member

Aaarghh! Maybe I should leave almost well enough alone!

I went to FE, deleted the extra cache-2 file outside fonts.conf/, and launched Odyssey successfully. Except it went through the caching again. And no East Asian fonts.

Back to 4.1u6, to make sure it still works here. No caching (apparently that depends on the extra cache-2 file being OUTSIDE of fonts.conf/), but no East Asian either.

I remember when computing was fun! Before FE.

MichaelMerkel 
Posted on 4-Feb-2015 9:57:06
#8 ]
Cult Member

@kilaueabart

Quote:

kilaueabart wrote:
My Conf/font/ is weird. The Readme says it should look like

Quote:
(left angle)!-- Font directory list -->
(left angle)dir>fonts:_TrueType(left angle)/dir>
(left angle)dir>fonts:_ttf(left angle)/dir>

(Not being able to quote a left angle bracket and what follows before the next ">" is a bit annoying!)
I keep ending up with
Quote:
Directory "Internet:Odyssey/conf/font" on Tuesday 03-Feb-15
33dd8036a3f9ace59c02168889078104-x86.cache-2 176208 ----rw-d Yesterday 15:23:12
fonts.conf.info 11420 ----rw-d Saturday 15:25:00
fonts.conf Dir ----rwed Saturday 15:26:03
2 files - 183K bytes - 1 directory - 372 blocks used

fonts.conf must not be a directory but a text file!!
your installation is quite broken here.
you should remove the odyssey/conf/font directory completely and copy it back from the installation archive or your old installation. then remove the cache-2 files and start odyssey.

regards...
michael

kilaueabart 
Posted on 6-Feb-2015 1:57:16
#9 ]
Cult Member

@MichaelMerkel

What happened to my earlier reply?!

Anyway just before or after my Tuesday post, I hid conf/font/ and rebooted. It didn't seem to do any good. But today when I launched it from 4.1u6 it came up properly, no caching, and with East Asian fonts!

I hoped that it would be the same in FE. After all, Internet:Odyssey is Internet:Odyssey. One would think clicking its icon would have the same result from any OS4. But no! In FE Odyssey will start to come up, open a window, start downloading from the Start Page URL until it gets to about 1.0 or 1.1 MB, then quit with a DSI!

I tried once stopping Start Page and loading something much smaller (my site) instead. Same story, except only a few KB before the DSI.

Another weirdo: when I click a URL in YAM in 4.1u6, it wants to know which of four or five browsers it should use. If I do it from YAM in FE, up comes OWB! Same Internet:YAM, same YAM/.config, etc. Why the different results?

I'm positive I launched Odyssey with no problems when I first installed FE.

blmara 
Posted on 6-Feb-2015 13:08:21
#10 ]

@kilaueabart

Quote:

Another weirdo: when I click a URL in YAM in 4.1u6, it wants to know which of four or five browsers it should use. If I do it from YAM in FE, up comes OWB! Same Internet:YAM, same YAM/.config, etc. Why the different results?

Yam uses the AOS4.1 launch handler to open different types of URLs. You can deactivate non-used HTTP: / HTTPS: / MAILTO: programs with SYS:Prefs/URL preferences editor. If you have just one browser selected there, YAM doesn't ask to select browser.

Marko

Edit: the reason Yam is asking now is that when you (re)install AmigaOS, the default setting in URL preferences is that several browsers are active

Last edited by blmara on 06-Feb-2015 at 01:10 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 6-Feb-2015 15:30:59
#11 ]
Elite Member

@kilaueabart

I get the same kind of crash from Origyn Web Browser 3.32 (Pukapuka)). It crashes in a PThread. Never been able to solve it!

Works fine from a clean Update 6 install.

Last edited by Hypex on 07-Feb-2015 at 12:36 PM.

kilaueabart 
Posted on 7-Feb-2015 1:00:17
#12 ]
Cult Member

@blmara

Thanks. Once I get a Prefs category set the way I like it, I can go for years without remembering it even exists.

I don't mind making choices among Odyssey, iBrowse, and Netsurf. Curiously, 4.1u6 Prefs included an AWeb option (I must have had it once but don't now) and an OWB option, but 4.1u6 YAM offers choices only of iBrowse, Odyssey, Netsurf and Cancel.

Now I'm curious about FE's Prefs > URL. Has it just assumed I would want iBrowse? Will see soon.

kilaueabart 
Posted on 7-Feb-2015 1:04:08
#13 ]
Cult Member

@Hypex

I don't like "Never been able to solve." If I don't get a browser working on FE, it'll be pretty much worthless to me.

I tried Netsurf when I misused Amiga Menu this morning and ended up in FE accidently. It kept telling me it was unable to load Code2000 (on of my fonts). Timberwolf almost worked a couple days ago, but "almost" don't count.

Hypex 
Posted on 7-Feb-2015 12:56:24
#14 ]
Elite Member

@kilaueabart

Well I went along and compared library versions and other stuff. Couldn't see a difference. If I ignore the DSI it goes away but I don't like a crash reoccurring in the background.

It's been suggested that the font config cache could be corrupted and that different browsers using it could cause the corruption. Perhaps we should look into this?

Last edited by Hypex on 07-Feb-2015 at 12:57 PM.

Deniil715 
Re: Odyssey on FE (not solved after all! AAARRGH!!!)
Posted on 7-Feb-2015 14:12:53
#15 ]
Elite Member

@kilaueabart

You need to copy ENVARC:MUI/OWB.config and ENVARC:MUI/ODYSSEY.1.prefs to your new installation to get back you prefs. They are not stored in the Odyssey directory, but in ENVARC:MUI/, like all other MUI programs.

The Odyssey configuration (start page, mimetypes, context menues etc.) are in OWB.confg. The MUI settings for Odyssey (windows position, colours, gadgets etc.) are in Odyssey.1.prefs. Could be .2 .3 .4 also if you start more than one Odyssey at the same time.

kilaueabart 
Posted on 7-Feb-2015 22:19:52
#16 ]
Cult Member

@Deniil715
I replaced the ENVARC:MUI/OWB.config and ENVARC:MUI/ODYSSEY.1.prefs in FE with the ones from 4.1u6 with high hopes, but Odyssey still comes up loading 1.0MB of1.1MB of the Start Page --> DSI --> system crash.

I had forgotten until I reread my first post in this thread this morning that Odyssey originally came up fine in FE, except for no Asian fonts, while Odyssey in 4.1u6 had lost its Asian fonts capability. I have fixed the latter, but it looks like somehow I messed up FE in the course of doing so.

NetSurf works after a fashion in FE, but with two major problems: again, no Asian fonts, and worse, when I try to go to my email, I get an error message from the provider. At least YAM still works, as long as any html in the mail isn't essential.

kilaueabart 
Posted on 8-Feb-2015 1:26:09
#17 ]
Cult Member

My apologies to everyone. You would have come up with the solution long ago, except who would believe anyone could be so STUPID?

FONTS: in OS4FE didn't have any Asian fonts, which just may account for the fact that Odyssey refused to display them in FE. I copied the old 4.1u6 FONTS: to the new FONTS: (also ran FixFonts, which I understand may cause some other trouble, but not so far), and used the OWB/Odyssey Download_Fonts again in both OSes, and I now seem to have fully working Odysseys on both sides.

pavlor 
Posted on 8-Feb-2015 8:49:06
#18 ]
Elite Member

@kilaueabart

At last!

Hypex 
Posted on 8-Feb-2015 12:59:14
#19 ]
Elite Member

@kilaueabart

I wouldn't say it is that stupid. What I do think is stupid would be a crash due to a missing font or a missing error requester when a font isn't found.

Chris_Y 
Posted on 8-Feb-2015 15:45:28
#20 ]
Elite Member

@kilaueabart

Quote:
I tried Netsurf when I misused Amiga Menu this morning and ended up in FE accidently. It kept telling me it was unable to load Code2000 (on of my fonts).

If you change your font config you need to delete Users/{username}/FontGlyphCache
That's a - perhaps badly-named - file which contains font substitution information when certain characters aren't available with the current font.

If you have different fonts in both installs and want to switch between them, the best option is to do the following on 4.1u6:
setenv save USER kilaueabartU6

That will set up a new configuration next time you open NetSurf. Your hotlist will get out of sync but I'm guessing you won't be using the old install much anyway.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle