Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
21 crawler(s) on-line.
 150 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 BigD:  8 mins ago
 matthey:  22 mins ago
 AndreasM:  51 mins ago
 kolla:  53 mins ago
 zipper:  59 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 24 mins ago
 Swisso:  1 hr 28 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 3 mins ago
 amigang:  2 hrs 35 mins ago
 clint:  3 hrs 1 min ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  What is the fastest windowing operating system GUI on the planet?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
Wol 
Re: What is the fastest windowing operating system GUI on the planet?
Posted on 9-Feb-2015 22:19:59
#21 ]

@Epsilon

Wel the fastest GUI I've seen is my A4000 Cyberstorm 060/PPC 128Mb ,Cybervision,
SCSI UW. with CyberGfx.

Almost real time windowing environment, menues totally real time no matter how
big they are and ultra smooth scrolling .

The UI is much faster than my Macbook and litrally thousands of times faster
than my wifes Winblows box.

Wol..

Profile     Report this post  
_Steve_ 
Posted on 9-Feb-2015 22:20:47
#22 ]
Team Member

@klx300r

Quote:

klx300r wrote:
so what's the best defragmenter program for OS3, OS4 etc.

That would be dependent on the FileSystem you were using. There weren't really any defragmentation tools written for OS3.x for FFS as I recall - but PFS and SFS both came with their own tools for the job (the aptly named programs PFSDefrag and SFSDefrag) and they worked pretty well (although nowhere near the plethora of options available in modern defrag tools on other OS's such as O&O defrag on Windows).

Crumb 
Posted on 10-Feb-2015 0:35:52
#23 ]
Elite Member

@_Steve_

For FFS ReOrg worked pretty well as long as you used HDs smaller than 4GB. If you use it with bigger disks it could make you lose data because it wasn't 64bit aware. Maybe it works with scsi direct but I don't know if I would dare to. An easy way to defragment your drive is to move your data temporarily to other location, quick format and copy the data again. Switching to Toni's PFS3 aio may be a good idea.

KimmoK 
Posted on 10-Feb-2015 9:21:43
#24 ]
Elite Member

IMO:
Amiga GUI was suberb fast to use in the 90s.
But it's elegance/speed is partly because of the low res and screens.
When you put a lot of stuff on screen, a lot of colors, high resolution, the performance drops.
Also there's various ways to speed it up.

Currently amigalike GUIs/desktops are not highly optimized to use the available HW, even thought they usually are nice to use.

IMHO: win8 GUI and Linux GUIs can be beaten in speed and flexibility, especially linux GUIs seek stability and robustness and not the optimal/maximum speed/responsiveness.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

geit 
Posted on 10-Feb-2015 11:53:23
#25 ]

@Jupp3

Quote:
Defragmentation, however, can have noticeable effect on drive speed. A negative effect, that is (on systems that lack TRIM support, such as AmigaOS)

That's why you should never defragment a SSD partition.

Block numbers have no fixed point in flash. They are *always* shifted around by the wearlevel management. Once the SSD needs to write a block over, it chooses a new location depending on the usage age. If you write 10 times block 0 of an SSD it is unlikly the same flash cell at all.

Also the lack of TRIM support does effect the drive speed and the aging of a drive. However even with all flash cells used and without TRIM any modern SSD is faster than our hardware can handle. It is unnoticable. Modern SSDs do far more than 500MB/s. The slow down to around 400MB/s when no TRIM is used. So unless your system is capable to accessing the data with that speed, you will not notice any slowdowns.

I am using flash media as system drive for years (five or more) now. It started when slow 8GB CF cards got affordable. Recently I am using 3 SSDs and a 16GB CF Card.

All are used in worst case mode (unaligned partition, no trim support, 512 byte blocks, no spare area to compensate the lack of TRIM support) and there is no slowdown on any of my systems. All systems are fast like hell when it comes to disk operations.

Also there is no hardware failure till now. One 64GB drive gets completly overwritten twice a week.

Hypex 
Posted on 10-Feb-2015 13:56:59
#26 ]
Elite Member

@Jupp3

Quote:
Long time ago I wondered if someone made a program, that would somehow "combine all required files to one", which would then copy certain bundled files (ENVARC: for example) to ram:, execute startup-sequence etc.

I had the sane kind of idea. I started work on it with my A1200/030 but never finished it. I called it SpeedBoot.

What it would do is hook into the device driver for boot drive and cache all the sectors read in from the HD at boot. Then at startup the next time all sectors would be read from memory. It had a fast cacher that ordered all the blocks so when it patched itself in it would read them all in order from HD to avoid wear and gain optimal speed. It would catch changes to boot blocks and update the cache bitmap.

I must have decided it wasn't worth it. Since I gave up on it. There are some factors regarding boot speed; HD access and CPU processing. Set up a RAD disk if possible to simulate your boot drive and you will see how long it takes to boot with zero HD latency.

Also it was ten years ago when I stopped so likely after going from an 40Mhz CPU to an 800Mhz one I didn't see the point of continuing.

Jupp3 
Posted on 14-Feb-2015 1:27:11
#27 ]

While definitely not the fastest, SymbOS is pretty damn impressive considering what it runs on (which is, various 8-bit Z80 platforms, which are usually 3.6MHz or such)

I won't even start comparing it with f.ex. GEOS...

Few demo videos:
Installation and running on MSX
SymbOS on Amstrad CPC
SymbOS on MSX TurboR (which is the ultimate MSX specification, and generally the ultimate 8-bit computer) expanded with GFX9000 graphics card: 1 2

It's also somewhat scary to spot some similarities to AmigaOS (even if it definitely borrows a lot from Windows 95 and beyond) - most people even use it at "non-1x1 pixel ratio" screenmode that's comparable to hires+nolace that most people I know used of classics (unless they had gfx card)

-EDIT-

To me windowing doesn't feel much slower than on A500, and it has more colors than I used back then

(used on my own 2+ modded NMS 8255)

Last edited by Jupp3 on 17-Feb-2015 at 02:55 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle